UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

40 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Lot of coaching has cost them some games. Typical offensive scheme that you literally play all game and no adjustments can do that. Henderson usually always had the talent.

That’s my problem exactly, with saying Castles could have done the same at Carthage. Of the Henderson games I have seen over his tenure it was incredibly predictable and not the most imaginative or creative play calling. I have seen multiple Henderson posters make the same remarks about the typical Henderson offense. The years they did succeed they had remarkable, multiple D1 caliber athletes/talent on the offense side of the ball.

There have been countless games during the 8 state championship runs that have been won on masterful play calling at the right moment. 

And if Castles wasn’t calling plays, as the HC you are responsible for who is. And if adjustments need to be made and your people aren’t making them, that’s on you too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Agree the ability to adapt makes great coaching. Having a predictable offensive attack can hurt you with a good DC. The offensive line wasn’t as cohesive as in the past. The QB wasn’t consistent enough  last year. I don’t wanna down the team but those are the facts. Having the best athlete can get you so far.

Finally something we can agree on.  Out of the Henderson games I got to see this year, I don't think Henderson ever had the best athlete on the field.  Maybe Mabank?  I am not sure the future intentions of the current Henderson players, but there maybe 1 or 2 that could maybe go play small college football if they want.  As much as the parents may want to believe their kids are D1 caliber like the ones in the past few seasons, they are not.  I have a hard time believing that a coaching staff can take a very average athlete and turn them into a D1 prospect in 4 years.  Most of the D1 athletes I have seen are genetically different than the average athlete.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Last year was not the norm. Henderson had a few wrong people in the wrong places. 

Well now it sounds like you may be an angry parent who is mad because your child did not get to play where you thought he should have played. Or maybe not played enough?  Maybe next year you can draw up your offensive and defensive philosophy, as well as a depth chart, and present it to the new hire.  I'm sure he will be glad to make those accommodations for you and your son.

• LOL! 1

7 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

It makes a ton of difference that they played together for a long play period.

I have a question for you FBC members (goers), how many coaches came through Henderson in the Castle's era?

I don’t understand your reference but to answer your question there has been a ton of turnover in all sports bc Henderson doesn’t take care of their coaches.

They don’t pay extra days. 

Their stipends are average. 
Their budgets are God awful. I was told supply budget is $2,000 for most sports... oh and that’s supposed to provide for junior high too. 

18 hours ago, Buckeyenation86 said:

We will get a good glimpse at how bad Castles has run the Henderson program into the ground over the next few years. You can’t blame the new coach for this. He has inherited a mess. And I will say this again...Henderson usually has just as good as athletes as Carthage, if not better. Would love to see what Surratt could have done at Henderson the last 10 years. I back what the admin is doing 100%

You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about because Henderson has the least amount of talent in the high school than they have ever had. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, MavGrad99 said:

I saw the transformation of Carthage from pre-Surratt to the current Surratt dynasty... 

Carthage was not a desirable school district.  I mean it had its perks, but EF, Marshall, Kilgore, Longview, etc etc etc were all considered more desirable schools for athletics.  People would not have left the surrounding towns to move to Carthage so their kids could go to school there...  That is a fact.

Some admin changed, Surratt is hired.  A quick but steady change in the culture of the Carthage athlete transformed that school and town into a winner.  Carthage used to be known as "crazy town" due to the extremely high number of mental health facilities needed to help the population.  Now its known (similar to Aledo) as Title Town.  People go there to succeed.  The town went from a less than desirable place to live 25 years ago, to highly sought after property for all income levels.   I, personally, love it.  I want more towns to be able to transform the way Carthage has.

Ok, MavGradd... I agree with Most of that; Carthage doesn’t & Never has had anymore mental cases per capita than anywhere else!😜😂

On 4/8/2021 at 11:02 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Typically but last year was the norm. Coaching has cost us heck for a while the lions were trying to score much less win the game. Struggle is real sometimes. Those rings has negative effects in Henderson. 

Part of that, in My humble opinion was a direct result of being so desperate to put a “W” in their stats that Henderson played Down a classification or two; That is a sure Tell as to the strength of your program. Again, My opinion.

33 minutes ago, Instigator said:

You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about because Henderson has the least amount of talent in the high school than they have ever had. 

That may have been the case this last year, but I would say year in and out Henderson has the athletes to compete more often than not.  

Just now, CarthDawg77 said:

Heyyyyyyyy!🤬 I was Born here! Most of the Real Looney Tunes we’ve ever had walking around were shipped in from other places with $10 & a “Free” bus ticket....🙄🤨

I can say this with 100% certainty... While we have definitely had some of our own, home grown crazies I have it on good authority that if a Nutty person finds their way here by one means or another, they unfortunately get stuck here and never leave.  It doesn't matter if they were just passing through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

I can say this with 100% certainty... While we have definitely had some of our own, home grown crazies I have it on good authority that if a Nutty person finds their way here by one means or another, they unfortunately get stuck here and never leave.  It doesn't matter if they were just passing through.

Yep...🙄

On 4/7/2021 at 4:14 AM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

More coming I'm hearing. A lot of the programs had really taken a nose dive over the last several years.

But hey on a positive note I just received an alert where Henderson's girls were headed to the regional finals in soccer. WTG Henderson Girls Soccer!

Baseball is one 

2 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

My son is three year old so I don’t believe that is possible. However, this is the truth . I do have a good friend of mine who son plays. Henderson was predictable.

Maybe the new guy will hire your friend as a consultant since he knows where everyone should be playing.

• LOL! 1

47 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Are you really trying to deny this? This was obvious for anyone who even doesn’t understand football. Lot of Henderson success has been out athlete the other team. Again this is coaching if he doesn’t do it.  I wish Henderson the best but stop living in denial. The best players period.

Look, the fact that you can not formulate full words and sentences let's me know all that I need to know about your opinions.  Your friend that told you this, was he at every practice?  Was he at every workout?  If he was unhappy with his son's playing time, or position did he talk to Castles?  Maybe his son was not giving much effort.  As I said in an earlier post, people that get mad at coaches for thinking their average athlete should be getting D1 offers are delusional.  Just as delusional as being a bleacher coach who thinks his opinion on who should be playing where matters to a guy that's been a head coach for over 20 years!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

21 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

Look, the fact that you can not formulate full words and sentences let's me know all that I need to know about your opinions.  Your friend that told you this, was he at every practice?  Was he at every workout?  If he was unhappy with his son's playing time, or position did he talk to Castles?  Maybe his son was not giving much effort.  As I said in an earlier post, people that get mad at coaches for thinking their average athlete should be getting D1 offers are delusional.  Just as delusional as being a bleacher coach who thinks his opinion on who should be playing where matters to a guy that's been a head coach for over 20 years!

You know nothing. Your posts show that. Maybe you should apply for the job if you know everything 

• Like 1

Just now, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Castles wasn’t getting it done. You are delusional. Great guy but this was coming. Ask some of his opponents and see what you come up with . As for you is that you castles? Come on dude .

Agree 100%. Would love to know what the coaches around East Texas think of Castles. He applied for two jobs and did not even come close to getting them. 

Like it's one thing to be someone's friend and/or family and support them.  But you don't have to go on a message board and pour your bleeding heart out over how "unfair" they were treated.  It is a business and like many businesses are it is a results-oriented business.  

• Thanks 1

I have been watching Henderson football for many years, from DA all the way to Castles.  When Henderson has comparable athletes to everyone else they have been successful.  When they are less athletic they have been less successful.  This isn't rocket science.  Henderson seems to be going through a spell where they currently have less athletes than everyone else at the moment.  In a few years I am sure that will change.  I do not need to ask any other coach what they think about Castles.  I have seen him win and lose just like ALL of those previous coaches.  He has played and beaten, as well as lost to all of the Doom coaches.  I am sure they respect him just as much as he respects them.

Since you 3 stooges seem to know everything that's going on in Henderson, let's get back on topic and tell everyone who you would like to see the next hire be.

46 minutes ago, Buckeyenation86 said:

East Texas coaches do not respect him

Just digging through the historical section of smoaky and counted over 140 wins for Castles in his career as a head coach.  That's enough wins to get respect from anyone.  You may not respect him, some of the bleacher coaches in Henderson may not respect him, but that's enough to get respect from any coach.

1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I expect either a Duncanville coach via The super. I wish DA would make a second go around lol. Outside chance of some former assistants or players. Preston my wish/pipe dream.

That's fair enough.  What about the AD position?

We can agree on something else! I think splitting the duties are a mistake.  Whats done is done, but I dont think all sports need a change.  The soccer programs seem to be doing fine, as well as softball.  Baseball seems to have struggled as of late, but in the current district things seem to be pretty tough.  Henderson hasn't had a dominant pitcher in 10 years or so.  Seems like everyone else in the district are spitting out D1 pitchers like sunflower seeds.  As far as basketball, Henderson has tried DWF coaches in the recent past with no success.  Not sure what direction they should head there.  I would say they need to bring Brett Carr back, but he definitely will not leave Tatum for Henderson.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:02 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Typically but last year was the norm. Coaching has cost us heck for a while the lions were trying to score much less win the game. Struggle is real sometimes. Those rings has negative effects in Henderson. 

Sup lion70?

On 4/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, MavGrad99 said:

I saw the transformation of Carthage from pre-Surratt to the current Surratt dynasty... 

Carthage was not a desirable school district.  I mean it had its perks, but EF, Marshall, Kilgore, Longview, etc etc etc were all considered more desirable schools for athletics.  People would not have left the surrounding towns to move to Carthage so their kids could go to school there...  That is a fact.

Some admin changed, Surratt is hired.  A quick but steady change in the culture of the Carthage athlete transformed that school and town into a winner.  Carthage used to be known as "crazy town" due to the extremely high number of mental health facilities needed to help the population.  Now its known (similar to Aledo) as Title Town.  People go there to succeed.  The town went from a less than desirable place to live 25 years ago, to highly sought after property for all income levels.   I, personally, love it.  I want more towns to be able to transform the way Carthage has.

All makes sense now on the political side of this site 

On 4/8/2021 at 3:40 PM, LionAlum88 said:

tenor.gif

• LOL! 3

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson