UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

15 hours ago, touchdownlsu said:

He made it to the 4th round 3 times! That’s success! No other coach from here or Carthage has done that except Surratt. Decent? Really? 

In this day of 12 classifications and 4 teams going to the playoffs, that's not the accomplishment it used to be.  Historical comparisons are great if the comparison is right.  Not taking anything away from him.  He's a good coach, but not great. Just my opinion.  I am not in a position to hire him, so it don't really matter what I think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lumberlion82 said:

Probably good enough athlete to play WR or somewhere in secondary.

True but Henderson already has enough talented receivers,not takeing nothing from the guy but Henderson already has three good receivers not saying no names and also the new QB Hendersons getting has a twin brother that plays WR and that's coming with him,so the QB is not the only one Henderson getting, they also getting another WR. That looks very talented as well, Somewhere in secondary he has a spot I just hope they work on the offensive line,that's important.

On 5/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, mikehoncho said:

Makes me wonder who all else applied and was considered. Was this the best option of applicants?

At FW POLY and EASTERN HILLS if you win 4-6 games that is pretty impressive because they get stuck in bad districts and that is where to go if one wants to improve 5 year average salary. It would be over 70 stacks. 

On 5/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, UnclePigg said:

22-40. What makes the powers that be in Henderson think that the new guy is all of a sudden going to come in and win 11 games?

Desoto OC calling plays. Won state that year. Had talent. FWISD is a coaches graveyard and very little in the way of talent. Good talent leaves and goes elsewhere if they can afford it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:55 AM, EasyRider said:

Desoto OC calling plays. Won state that year. Had talent. FWISD is a coaches graveyard and very little in the way of talent. Good talent leaves and goes elsewhere if they can afford it. 

Didn't call the plays there.  Peterman called it that year.

18 minutes ago, LIONMAN said:

Incorrect. But if you are not a fan of the recent moves I'm sure that is what you are trying to sell.

Official title in 2016 - Passing game coordinator.  Helped with game plan and ideas, but final call was Peterman.  Go watch any archived news report from 2015 or 2016 about that Desoto team, pull up any archived story from Dallas Morning news by Matt Wixon.  Geez dude, not unhappy about the hire, I could care any way, but to make it seem like this guy is the second coming to save Henderson football, a little short sighted just because he called plays with a team that had 11 D1 recruits on the field.  

18 hours ago, Timoria said:

Official title in 2016 - Passing game coordinator.  Helped with game plan and ideas, but final call was Peterman.  Go watch any archived news report from 2015 or 2016 about that Desoto team, pull up any archived story from Dallas Morning news by Matt Wixon.  Geez dude, not unhappy about the hire, I could care any way, but to make it seem like this guy is the second coming to save Henderson football, a little short sighted just because he called plays with a team that had 11 D1 recruits on the field.  

Henderson will be fine this year and next year, we just have to see thru the next following years.

3 hours ago, randomuser said:

Mathis 2.0 hire, he might be there 2 years and wife will stay in Desoto and he’ll go back.

The wife is in Henderson and they are looking at buying a house from my understanding. Who would anyone "buy" a house when your only going to be somewhere for a couple of years and your wife is still at Desoto?

• LOL! 1
  • Confused 1

I have no dog in this fight but sounds like a lot of people are not happy with this hire. Will the superintendent be held accountable if it doesn't workout. And in all fairness lots of people fail when they don't have the athletes like they did Desoto or Denton Ryan. Time will tell I'm hoping Henderson gets back on track and this isn't a Mathis move for a year or two. Football is always better when the traditional powers of East Texas are playing great football and going to war with each other.

40 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

I have no dog in this fight but sounds like a lot of people are not happy with this hire. Will the superintendent be held accountable if it doesn't workout. And in all fairness lots of people fail when they don't have the athletes like they did Desoto or Denton Ryan. Time will tell I'm hoping Henderson gets back on track and this isn't a Mathis move for a year or two. Football is always better when the traditional powers of East Texas are playing great football and going to war with each other.

It's a half of Henderson are happy and another half isn't, but I say in my opinion is that if you look back in Hendersons past games when they have had a good QB or a D1 QB tends to motivate a team and with a good coach behind it, you never know till game day, there's athletes this year and next year, I don't know after that but Henderson will be okay these two years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

The wife is in Henderson and they are looking at buying a house from my understanding. Who would anyone "buy" a house when your only going to be somewhere for a couple of years and your wife is still at Desoto?

Check back in two years and we’ll see. Maybe show them the houses Nick Saban and Tom Herrmann looked at before they turned the job down.

1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Gotta give him a chance . Henderson always competitive for the most part. I say give him a chance and he probably does wonders. I am not screaming state but playing in December isn’t stretching it. 

We really don't know till season starts but heres what I'm going say, this the truth think in past when Henderson has had a good QB has Henderson look and even made a run deep in  the playoffs besides faceing Carthage just think if didn't  face Carthage in those times, Henderson maybe had a chance to win State, last year's wasn't Henderson time maybe this year and other year maybe the time.

On 5/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, BlackShirtD said:

How in the world does this record get the Hendo head job.   Wow

Good luck!

It's the best Hendo could expect to get with the current situation. For those anti-Castles folks...step back, take a breath and really assess the situation.

You have just fired and treated like garbage the most successful coach in the history of your school because  you have a supe and his bud with egos bigger than Texas running everything. The best bud is running the athletic department, making hires before the FB coach even arrived so ANY successful head coach wouldn't think of subjecting himself and his family to this type of arrangement. The best that Hendo could have gotten was a young co-ordinator that will put up with being told what to do and how to run his program for a year or two and then head to greener pastures. Henderson and its athletes deserve better than that and a lot of people realize it. It has the potential of turning into a huge dumpster fire...in fact all the ingredients are there and already smoldering.

The poor new guy has several tough situations to remedy quickly...like how in the world do you get qualified assistants to come from the DFW area, or much of any other area, and take a large pay cut? The answer is...you can't...he will get what he can get which will make his job that much tougher...but hey, he can always just ask the AD what to do since he is the one in charge...right? 

19 minutes ago, randomuser said:

Check back in two years and we’ll see. Maybe show them the houses Nick Saban and Tom Herrmann looked at before they turned the job down.

You said his wife would stay in Desoto. Why are you talking about something you evidently know nothing about? Why would you and some others make false claims about people? She is in Henderson to coach and they are looking for a house but the buyers market is not good right now. But they will find one soon enough because most of Henderson are helping them look. I don't live there anymore but I did get the chance of meeting them and they are impressive people. I for one are helping them. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

It's the best Hendo could expect to get with the current situation. For those anti-Castles folks...step back, take a breath and really assess the situation.

You have just fired and treated like garbage the most successful coach in the history of your school because  you have a supe and his bud with egos bigger than Texas running everything. The best bud is running the athletic department, making hires before the FB coach even arrived so ANY successful head coach wouldn't think of subjecting himself and his family to this type of arrangement. The best that Hendo could have gotten was a young co-ordinator that will put up with being told what to do and how to run his program for a year or two and then head to greener pastures. Henderson and its athletes deserve better than that and a lot of people realize it. It has the potential of turning into a huge dumpster fire...in fact all the ingredients are there and already smoldering.

The poor new guy has several tough situations to remedy quickly...like how in the world do you get qualified assistants to come from the DFW area, or much of any other area, and take a large pay cut? The answer is...you can't...he will get what he can get which will make his job that much tougher...but hey, he can always just ask the AD what to do since he is the one in charge...right? 

Let's just see if Hendo new coach can turn things around,give him a chance.

24 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

How did he get treated like garbage? He's been knowing he was gone since football season. The admin gave him WAY too much time to find a job ( by the way with no success ) before they were forced to make a move.

Remember guys, he was getting paid as an AD FIRST and a HFC second! He wasn't doing his job as AD and numerous players had moved away from the football program. 

Why is this so hard to understand? This outside looking in is what you call garbage and second/third hand information.

• Like 1

A lot of you must have been friends of Castles or something.

I’ve never seen so many people upset about a guy being let go who didn’t actually win anything. And if 3rd and 4th round exits is good enough for you, then that’s part of the culture problem. Expectations should be high as can be. What’s the point if you aren’t trying to win state in a place that has won it before and has talent that is capable in many years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson