UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

42 minutes ago, LionKing12172920 said:

Anyways who cares about your point, when this new seasons starts then you really can say what you want to say, all past games and teams losses and wins would be thrown out the window.

Come on Lion, I wish Hendo nothing but the best, I was just trying to get your hopes leveled. You’re putting a lot of pressure on that new staff. Sometimes it takes a new staff a couple of years. Just don’t put the cart before the horse. It’s great you’re excited but let’s see what happens next year before you pressure that new staff into going 13-1 their 1st year. I wish you the best but trying to be devils advocate I guess. Give those guys a little time before you crown them the best staff in ET. Good luck this upcoming season dude 💯🏈💯

• Like 1

2 hours ago, randomuser said:

Come on Lion, I wish Hendo nothing but the best, I was just trying to get your hopes leveled. You’re putting a lot of pressure on that new staff. Sometimes it takes a new staff a couple of years. Just don’t put the cart before the horse. It’s great you’re excited but let’s see what happens next year before you pressure that new staff into going 13-1 their 1st year. I wish you the best but trying to be devils advocate I guess. Give those guys a little time before you crown them the best staff in ET. Good luck this upcoming season dude 💯🏈💯

It's okay man and you correct. 

Edited by LionKing12172920

48 minutes ago, StillALion said:

I am not afraid to make a polite suggestion and have a few times in the past.  And since I’ve been around here longer (by a lot) than anybody up there other than I believe Tanner they might not have took my advice but nobody has ever told me to go screw myself either.  Lol 

Guys were in the wrong places you don’t need a child on the team on the bench who you think is better than some of them to be able to tell.  Year before last it was worse than last year.  Last year, Walker should have shared a lot more carries with juniors Porter & Alexander and soph Fuller.  Year before last, Walker was the perfect change of pace back behind Fields and Eli Jones and he had several huge games —  about 150 against Jville, 200 vs Rusk, and 250 against CH and had 3-4 TDs in several games all without starting.  He never had a game like that last year because the defenses were  prepared for and keyed on him as the starter and while he was one of my favorites, had the biggest heart on the team, and was maybe the best player on the team pound for pound he was just too small at like 5-4 & 150# to be able to do what Fields and Jones did the year before.   They would have put him in a much better position to be successful and he would have ended up with less carries (and less wear & tear) but a lot more yards and TDs if they had let Porter and Alexander out there a lot more like the 2 the year before.  Both of those guys are back this year as will be Fuller who could be outstanding and hopefully B. Medford will also be at RB and could also be outstanding as well. Both of those last 2 guys should be better than any of the backs last year and Porter and Alexander will both bw better  than last year which was already pretty good .

In 2019, Everett should have been the starter at QB and in there 75% of the time and C Medford 25% and mostly at WR where he was one of the 5-10 highest rated recruits in TX at his position. They had just done that the year before with DeLeon and Medford and went all the way to the quarterfinals as usual with that set up so no idea why they didn’t do it.  And it would have worked even better because Everett would have had Medford and Jy Fuller at WR (those 2 would have been unstoppable together … Fuller almost was by himself) plus Fields and Jones a year older as seniors.  With just that charge that team would have whipped Heritage, Navasota, and Palestine in a revenge game after losing during district with Medford out hurt, been right back to the quarterfinals, and I thought might not have beaten Carthage at a huge East Texas game at the Tomato Bowl but given them the best game from Henderson since the 2 in 2016.  So those  are just a couple of examples the last 2-3 seasons of guys In wrong  places.  In particular Medford was some kind of selfless teammate who put the team before himself because he barely got to play his actual position and got almost no attention or media coverage like he would have at WR or nothing remotely close.  Thank God he was able to show off at WR as a FR and SO with Trae Hall at QB so he already had tons of offers and had committed to TCU. 

There’s more examples but that’s enough so back to the present and future ….  the twins will be attending and playing for Henderson for their dad.  And that’s per their dad.  I didn’t ask him or hear him say that myself yet but a close friend who hung out with him a week or so ago for an hour to meet and get to know each other said that was one of the things that came up.  
Keep in mind both guys were just Sophs last year.  Both were all district in a 5A district.  A whole lot of guys are not even on varsity as a SO, a lot less than that are starters, and a whole lot less than that are all district.  The WR is Jamal.  The QB is Jacobe.  Stars and recruiting rankings will be out soon but aren’t yet.  But back In January 247Sports had Jacobe as their #13 ranked QB in Texas for the 2023 class and last month he won the Accuracy Award at the Elite 11 camp in Dallas.  See links below.  By comparison the last measurements I have seen for him were 6-3 and 220# in early spring of his soph year. His brother Shawn was 6-2 and 215# as a SR and was a 4-star recruit, the #6 DT-QB in the nation, #32 overal player in TX, and #198 overall in the nation.  Henderson has had some really good QBs the last 10-12 years … Jenkins, Barnes, Boles, & Hall … and went between a long way and all the way with those guys but none of them were rated that high or really even close except Jenkins but that was in baseball.  Barnes, Hall, and Boles were all low 3-star recruits IIRC but Boles was at punter even though he was all state at both.  If Jacobe is better than all those guys like he is rated it should be fun to watch the offense for sure.  If he’s even just as good as they were that would be pretty dang good since they all were for sure. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/LongFormArticle/Class-of-2023-Texas-high-school-football-recruiting-top-prospects-159168490/

Last the schedule is out.  Same teams will be played as last year’s original preseason pre-COVID schedule except Kaufman has been replaced with Hallsville which is the opener at home on 8/27.  Then the other 3 non-district games in order are Gilmer away, Jville at home, and Spring Hill away.  District starts for the next 6 weeks and all 3 hardest game are at  home. 
10/1 Athens T

10/8 Lindale H

10/15 Palestine T

10/22 Kilgore H

10/29 Mabank T

11/5 Chaoel Hill H 

… And hopefully the Sideline2Sideline guys will be doing their weekly Henderson Lions Show where they break down the last week’s game and preview the one coming up for 30-60 mins with a lot more and better stuff to talk about this year.  Here’s an example …

https://lonestargridiron.com/2020/09/intro-to-the-henderson-lions-show/

0CEC6F7B-E03A-4BA7-8FE6-F839BDF19353.jpeg

Thank you for letting the room know,and why I'm so optimist, not saying that Hendo will win State, but it can happen, most new coach staff takes few years but , let just say if theses coaches are good coaches no Mather on past team they been without winning seasons, but if you look at the staffs that made them successful than anything can happen, it be different if a coach has never been on a winning staff before.Lets just see  how its going when kick offs and few games.

35 minutes ago, StillALion said:

In his first year in 89, Dennis Alexander took a 5-5 team from the year before with a whole lot of the same guys and at the end of the regular season they wee 10-0 (including an 80-20 win vs Kilgore) and #2 in the final state rankings.   Not predicting that but it has happened.  I think we will win at least twice as many regular season games and make the playoffs for sure at a minimum.  How much better than that we will just have to wait and see. 

Who knows, I bet Henderson  can get to state for a few years and this year.

21 hours ago, StillALion said:

In his first year in 89, Dennis Alexander took a 5-5 team from the year before with a whole lot of the same guys and at the end of the regular season they wee 10-0 (including an 80-20 win vs Kilgore) and #2 in the final state rankings.   Not predicting that but it has happened.  I think we will win at least twice as many regular season games and make the playoffs for sure at a minimum.  How much better than that we will just have to wait and see. 

Nothing against the new guy, but pretty sure he’s not Dennis Alexander.

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson
14 hours ago, StillALion said:

Didn’t want to start a new topic string so since this looks like the one the most people are talking about Henderson on ... Last week, for anyone who knew of him, the home radio broadcast booth in the new press box at the stadium was named the “Mike Baughman Radio Room” after Mike Baughman who passed away last year.  He was known as “The Voice of the Lions” after spending 40+ as the main play by play announcer on KGRI/KWRD.  

Such a great dude. 

• Like 4

One thing for sure. Players like new coaches and are optimistic. The weightroom is much more structured and players say they are feeling better. Several players felt like previous regime played favorites and it showed when  couple of players got conduct penalties and nothingn happened. Some athletes in the classroom are going to have to tighten up. 

• LOL! 1

Very interesting read of all 27 pages........  lots of different opinions about Henderson football.  Haven't seen very much discussion about the offensive line play of Henderson over the past couple of years.... don't know who the new coach is bringing in for that position but he better be good.  The offensive line play has been less than stellar to say the least.  The Lion QB was running for his life all season long and if that doesn't change Henderson's record won't either.

4 hours ago, AggieAnnie said:

Very interesting read of all 27 pages........  lots of different opinions about Henderson football.  Haven't seen very much discussion about the offensive line play of Henderson over the past couple of years.... don't know who the new coach is bringing in for that position but he better be good.  The offensive line play has been less than stellar to say the least.  The Lion QB was running for his life all season long and if that doesn't change Henderson's record won't either.

Very True, I hope they get that Offensive line worked out.

• 1 month later...

Football just around the corner very optimist this season, I'm more interested as well as the kids, let's see how this season with new coaches and few new players plays out, have a great feeling Henderson going to be  really good this season, let's see how well they do in the scrimmages first off.Henderson Coaches from what I see has the players in right positions but only tell once scrimmages.