Kilgore Open

Jackem

Kilgore Independent School District is excited to announce that long-time Head Football Coach/Athletic Director Mike Wood will soon transition into the full-time position of KISD Director of Athletics and Athletic Facilities.  

“Coach Wood has been an integral part of our Bulldog Football program’s traditions and high levels of excellence for over 25 years.  As our Head Football Coach/AD for the last 11 seasons, he has successfully continued our programs’ rich traditions.  He has also helped create an environment grounded in integrity, character, and high expectations.  His leadership is both proven and appreciated, and I am excited about the many attributes Coach Wood will bring to this new Director of Athletics position," said Dr. Andy Baker, Kilgore ISD Superintendent.  

One of the first responsibilities Coach Wood will have as the new KISD Director of Athletics will be to coordinate the search for Kilgore High School’s new Head Football Coach.  The position will soon be posted to the District’s website and to several Texas High School Coaching webpages with hopes that the new Head Football Coach will be named by the end of this school year.

If this doesn't stay inside, there's a certain state championship winning OC a few minutes north that was on the Kilgore staff when they won it in 2004.

Wonder what the chances are that it goes that direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, centex1 said:

The one thing that everybody seems to be forgetting is Daniel Swaim is acutally from Kilgore. So he has that going for him which is nice. First time he has actually had a leg up on Kerry Strong. 

Still expect strong to be the favorite 

I think there some good candidates but hardly any major changes ever happens for Kilgore, so I strongly feel posting the job is all for show kinda like when an NFL team has to interview a minority coach evem though everybody knows who the really want to hire. Same situation Kilgore knows whos going to be HC before Woods made this announcement public.

3 hours ago, HJR7 said:

I think there some good candidates but hardly any major changes ever happens for Kilgore, so I strongly feel posting the job is all for show kinda like when an NFL team has to interview a minority coach evem though everybody knows who the really want to hire. Same situation Kilgore knows whos going to be HC before Woods made this announcement public.

You make good points because it is so late in looking for a coach. 

I don't think any top coaches will be applying knowing they would still be reporting to Woody. I don't think the pay is worth the headache especially if your not calling the shots in Kilgore. They need to figure out how to clone coach Mike Vallery and Kilgore will have their Surratt again. Even what ANTI said is not a bad way to go either now that a certain coach is gone from Kilgore it just might intrigue little Val.

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, KildogDad said:

Current high school coaches with Kilgore connections but currently not in Kilgore:

Phil Castles

Chris Vallery 

Clint Toon

any others?

Rod Portley (Pine Tree)

Wayne Daniels (Pine Tree)

Daniel Swain ( Waskom)