Edgewood Open

HSBRangers

Just now, dillonpanthers said:

The AD at Edgewood is also the OC/Head Baseball 

Yes he is, and still is.

Who gives a flying flip abound Lindale. Every situation is different.

People need to understand it is all about personalities. If adults can set their EGO aside and do their job, then any working situation is capable of success.

• Like 2

Just now, playactionpass39 said:

Yes he is, and still is.

People need to understand it is all about personalities. If adults can set their EGO aside and do their job, then any working situation is capable of success.

Lol. Because it was related to the topic and someone brought up that it didn't work at Lindale. And it's still strange that the OC could potentially reassign his boss (in football). Do you not agree?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Lol. Because it was related to the topic and someone brought up that it didn't work at Lindale. And it's still strange that the OC could potentially reassign his boss (in football). Do you not agree?

Unique for sure, but not a whole lot different than the Head Basketball Coach being able to reassign the Head Football Coach.

I would guess that the OC would have a whole lot more insight into the HFC's ability to do his job than anybody else.

And as long as he doesn't allow his EGO to get in the way of his objectivity then what's the big deal. Coaches are supposed to work together to win games.

I would not treat the OC any different if he is AD or not.  Leadership is about setting standards and living up to them yourself. Never ask another coach to do something you aren't willing to do yourself.

I don't have a problem at all with the head football coach not being the AD and it being a head coach of another sport. Does it cut down on applicants? Yes. But it is what it is. Just gets a little sticky when your boss is also a coordinator or position coach. I'm sure it can work at times. And sometimes it doesn't (Lindale). But if the AD at Edgewood hires someone he feels he can work for (if he's continuing to do football) then it will probably work fine. Just may cut down on candidates even more than it's cut down by not being the AD too if your OC is already set from the jump. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Yes he is, and still is.

We were just bringing up an example of it not working. No need to get upset about a little dialogue.

I just know that I would not touch that job if I had to inherit an OC who would technically be my boss. Of course we would love for everyone to set their ego aside, but that is not always the world we live in.

Hopefully it works out for them because the KIDS deserve it, but that is not a set up for success in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

We were just bringing up an example of it not working. No need to get upset about a little dialogue.

I just know that I would not touch that job if I had to inherit an OC who would technically be my boss. Of course we would love for everyone to set their ego aside, but that is not always the world we live in.

Hopefully it works out for them because the KIDS deserve it, but that is not a set up for success in my humble opinion. 

Just stinks cuz he's like I'm the OC no matter what offense this guy brings or philosophy you get to call the plays? If i was HFC and an offensive guy I would call plays till I knew he Knew my philosophy, system and scheme. If I was a Defensive guy then I would be like sweet if we don't score a lot is it really my fault? i mean..could you fire your boss from the OC if that happened.. little dicey there that why in a lot of places they don't allow this to happen (power struggle)  

On 4/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, playactionpass39 said:

Unique for sure, but not a whole lot different than the Head Basketball Coach being able to reassign the Head Football Coach.

I would guess that the OC would have a whole lot more insight into the HFC's ability to do his job than anybody else.

And as long as he doesn't allow his EGO to get in the way of his objectivity then what's the big deal. Coaches are supposed to work together to win games.

I would not treat the OC any different if he is AD or not.  Leadership is about setting standards and living up to them yourself. Never ask another coach to do something you aren't willing to do yourself.

If a HFC isn't able to pick his coordinators so that one of those coordinators can be his boss and keep insight into his ability, it sounds like EGO is already an issue. I really don't know how you can't see the difference in a Head Basketball Coach having authority over another head coach, and an OC having authority over a Head Coach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

If a HFC isn't able to pick his coordinators so that one of those coordinators can be his boss and keep insight into his ability, it sounds like EGO is already an issue. I really don't know how you can't see the difference in a Head Basketball Coach having authority over another head coach, and an OC having authority over a Head Coach. 

Not arguing that there is a difference, of course there is a difference, you missed the point.

The point is that the only reason the situation doesn't work is EGO. That is true with all situations where the HFC is not the AD.

As long as the AD/OC checks his EGO at the door and just does his job, then there is no issue.

As long as the HFC checks his EGO at the door and doesn't act insecure because he thinks he's being second guessed or micromanaged by the AD/OC then the situation works.

I would assume that through the interview process the AD would determine if the candidate was a fit personality and scheme wise and choose a HFC that he was compatible with.

And the potential HFC would also make sure the OC was a fit for his scheme and system and that they would be on the same page as far as play calling, and responsibilities.

Keep it simple. Name a school that is 4A or smaller that the AD is NOT the Head Footballl Coach that has significant, long-term success set up that way. When you do, name a second one. 

There's a reason it's typically not done this way. It doesn't work. It's not good for all sports in a program for football to be less than the #1 priority sport and no, they cannot all be equal. That's life in all things. There are priorities. Keep them in order or things suffer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

Keep it simple. Name a school that is 4A or smaller that the AD is NOT the Head Footballl Coach that has significant, long-term success set up that way. When you do, name a second one. 

There's a reason it's typically not done this way. It doesn't work. It's not good for all sports in a program for football to be less than the #1 priority sport and no, they cannot all be equal. That's life in all things. There are priorities. Keep them in order or things suffer. 

Can’t wait to see the answers 

6 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

Football is not the driving force behind every school district.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, CodeBreaker said:

Brock would be #1 on this list.

3 hours ago, ronnyham said:

whose their ad? basketball?

Actually was the head baseball coach before becoming the full time AD.

I'm actually a huge fan of the full time AD, regardless of school size.

IMHO, doing what is best for all sports should be the goal of the AD, too many head football coaches could care less about other sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Actually was the head baseball coach before becoming the full time AD.

I'm actually a huge fan of the full time AD, regardless of school size.

IMHO, doing what is best for all sports should be the goal of the AD, too many head football coaches could care less about other sports.

"too many head football coaches could care less about other sports."  i think many AD's that are head football coaches would disagree with this.....

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, CodeBreaker said:

Brock and Salado