Anyone Else

• 1 month later...

There’s going to be a card show in Longview on May 29th. I’ve never been to one. I’m excited to go. I hit up eBay and got these for the Cowboys PC. Bonus points if Y’all know why I had to get the Ernie Stautner auto. 

35254D25-637D-4B33-8248-3DF7AE188CFB.jpeg

F6B09F88-8877-4D6B-944E-73D4BE532E21.jpeg

99FCF4FF-B755-4D3C-BFA0-B50A40F852CE.jpeg

93537E97-7171-44DC-B012-2434A7E49D96.jpeg

AF5FF2A7-5BD2-443C-8AFE-6631F7E08E86.jpeg

D3379B17-C154-44D6-A0C2-B4B4DD9FB47A.jpeg

873D9DD0-0CF3-44DC-850A-04960F0186DC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After losing all my cards and high school/college sports memorabilia in a fire ten years ago, I've very slowly started rebuilding my collection...  starting with my favorite player: 

1984-Dan-Marino-TOPPS 1984-Dan-Marino-sticker 1984-Dan-Marino-LINEUP 1984-Dan-Marino-local  1984-Dan-Marino-TOPPS 1985-Dan-Marino-REPLAY 1985-Dan-Marino-RECORD 1985-Dan-Marino-special 1986-Dan-Marino-TOPPS

1984-Dan-Marino-LEADERS 1985-Dan-Marino-TOPPS 1985-Dan-Marino-LEADERS

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@LOLThats a pretty sweet collection. You know how as a kid you could have like 5 different favorite teams? I was a huge Cowboys fan. My other team? The Miami Dolphins. Dan Marino was pretty high up there on my favorite players. Cool uniforms. He was a passing QB when passing was still second fiddle to running. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, RonSwanson said:

Neat cards! 

I learned my lesson for my next card show. Bring cash. Lol I found a couple good, graded Emmitt and Troy rookies that I wanted. 

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

@LOLThats a pretty sweet collection. You know how as a kid you could have like 5 different favorite teams? I was a huge Cowboys fan. My other team? The Miami Dolphins. Dan Marino was pretty high up there on my favorite players. Cool uniforms. He was a passing QB when passing was still second fiddle to running. 

Like I've said numerous times: give Marino a reliable running game and an adequate defense, and he'll have more rings than fingers. Unfortunately it just never happened for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Like I've said numerous times: give Marino a reliable running game and an adequate defense, and he'll have more rings than fingers. Unfortunately it just never happened for him. 

Mark Higgs. Karim Abdul-Jabbar. Cecil Collins. He had some scrubs. Maybe Shula did stick around a little too long?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LOL said:

Most over rated QB in NFL history ....

• LOL! 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:20 AM, Mr. P said:

After losing all my cards and high school/college sports memorabilia in a fire ten years ago, I've very slowly started rebuilding my collection...  starting with my favorite player: 

1984-Dan-Marino-TOPPS 1984-Dan-Marino-sticker 1984-Dan-Marino-LINEUP 1984-Dan-Marino-local  1984-Dan-Marino-TOPPS 1985-Dan-Marino-REPLAY 1985-Dan-Marino-RECORD 1985-Dan-Marino-special 1986-Dan-Marino-TOPPS

1984-Dan-Marino-LEADERS 1985-Dan-Marino-TOPPS 1985-Dan-Marino-LEADERS

Those PSA 10 Dan Marino cards must have cost you a pretty penny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Those PSA 10 Dan Marino cards must have cost you a pretty penny.

You might be surprised...  some folks are just looking to unload things, and don't know their value. 

Just now, Mr. P said:

You might be surprised...  some folks are just looking to unload things, and don't know their value. 

I might have to check for some things, then...a few cards I'm looking for.

There are two in particular that I have, that are here at my house and are in acrylic cases (but ungraded), and I have zero idea where they are. Two Nolan Ryans. 1990 Donruss 5,000K error, and 1990 Donruss Diamond King ("King of Kings") error.

When I find them, if they're in good enough condition, I might have them graded.

• Like 1

Just now, Monte1076 said:

I might have to check for some things, then...a few cards I'm looking for.

There are two in particular that I have, that are here at my house and are in acrylic cases (but ungraded), and I have zero idea where they are. Two Nolan Ryans. 1990 Donruss 5,000K error, and 1990 Donruss Diamond King ("King of Kings") error.

When I find them, if they're in good enough condition, I might have them graded.

As more of the late Boomers start dying off (and Gen X starts retiring), look for the market to be flooded by their Millennial offspring selling all this stuff in "lots" and batches, just to get it out of abandoned man-caves and storage buildings. 

Your average Millennial has little context for cards that aren't Pokemon. You can practically steal rare, high-value sports cards from them. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

As more of the late Boomers start dying off (and Gen X starts retiring), look for the market to be flooded by their Millennial offspring selling all this stuff in "lots" and batches, just to get it out of abandoned man-caves and storage buildings. 

Your average Millennial has little context for cards that aren't Pokemon. You can practically steal rare, high-value sports cards from them. 

I'm seeing cards being sold in lots on eBay right now. I saw a few I have my eye on, and I'm going to see how things go with them. Might have to try to swoop in. Heck, at this point they don't even have to be graded, I might handle that myself.

That said, there's still a thriving market of younger Gen X'ers and a good number of millennials who trade in sports cards. Heck, PSA still uses the 1952 Mickey Mantle in their example of what the different grades look like.

I've always wanted a Ryan/Koosman rookie card, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one, even ungraded. I saw someone on eBay post one just yesterday at 99 cents. I woke up this morning and it was already at $150.

There are a few I'm wanting to look for on eBay now, and if I find them in good enough condition, at the right price, I might buy them for my PC.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I'm seeing cards being sold in lots on eBay right now. I saw a few I have my eye on, and I'm going to see how things go with them. Might have to try to swoop in. Heck, at this point they don't even have to be graded, I might handle that myself.

That said, there's still a thriving market of younger Gen X'ers and a good number of millennials who trade in sports cards. Heck, PSA still uses the 1952 Mickey Mantle in their example of what the different grades look like.

I've always wanted a Ryan/Koosman rookie card, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one, even ungraded. I saw someone on eBay post one just yesterday at 99 cents. I woke up this morning and it was already at $150.

There are a few I'm wanting to look for on eBay now, and if I find them in good enough condition, at the right price, I might buy them for my PC.

So I'm at the phase in my collecting where I do for the pure subjective joy of it. I collect my favorite players and favorite teams. Irrespective of outside value. I'll spend money on a rare Marino card, not because it's an investment but because I want to have it. I have year-by-year card collections of more obscure players like Jim Jensen, David Woodley, Vince Evans, and others. 

I have no illusions that I will ever sell anything in my own lifetime for any kind of profit, and I don't imagine my own children will do anything other than take what's meaningful to them (if anything), and yard sale the rest of it.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

So I'm at the phase in my collecting where I do for the pure subjective joy of it. I collect my favorite players and favorite teams. Irrespective of outside value. I'll spend money on a rare Marino card, not because it's an investment but because I want to have it. I have year-by-year card collections of more obscure players like Jim Jensen, David Woodley, Vince Evans, and others. 

I have no illusions that I will ever sell anything in my own lifetime for any kind of profit, and I don't imagine my own children will do anything other than take what's meaningful to them (if anything), and yard sale the rest of it.  

That's (mostly) what I do. Although I do have protectors that I put them in. I don't want to spend a ton of money, though.

But to be honest, I found a couple of good deals just now on eBay for some cards I was looking for and wanted. And I found a Joe Burrow I might grade and sell, depending on how it looks when I get it (it's a die-cut Prizm). I think I paid like $8 for it. I bought two Juan Gonzalez cards (the 1990 Donruss Rated Rookie, and the 1990 Donruss Rated Rookie reverse negative) and spent something like $5 on them (ungraded). I also picked up some newer Nolan Ryan cards. And I have some "older" ones (five of them) on the way that will be delivered today. I think that's probably going to be it for a while.

What do you do with cards you don't want? Because honestly a large number of the cards I have right now I'm not interested in keeping.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

What do you do with cards you don't want? Because honestly a large number of the cards I have right now I'm not interested in keeping.

First I'll offer them on Facebook. If/when there are no takers I'll dump them at card/hobby shops. I don't even go in. Just leave the box outside the front door after hours. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

First I'll offer them on Facebook. If/when there are no takers I'll dump them at card/hobby shops. I don't even go in. Just leave the box outside the front door after hours. 

I'm not on FB...and there aren't any card shops near me. I guess I could reach out to a couple of people I know on Twitter or something. Because I'd like to not just throw them out. Apparently, there are people online who are "set collectors" who might be interested in buying them...

• Like 1

@Monte1076Was just punching in 1990 Pro Set Cards--Football, ran across an error card--#204--Fred Marion--on Sportscardpro.com--if you have the card w/o the belt n John Taylor--sold for $150--Ungraded.......I found it tonight in my newest purchase.......It's already in a protective case......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

@Monte1076Was just punching in 1990 Pro Set Cards--Football, ran across an error card--#204--Fred Marion--on Sportscardpro.com--if you have the card w/o the belt n John Taylor--sold for $150--Ungraded.......I found it tonight in my newest purchase.......It's already in a protective case......

Nice! even if it's $150 ungraded, is it in gradable condition? If it is, you should consider it. If you do, try TAG Grading. They basically use computers instead of people to grade. They have a thing where it's $25 per card (plus $20 for return shipping) for a 20 business day turnaround from the day they "receive" the card. You'll also have to pay for shipping to their facility, but their slabs are really great looking. And you get a DETAILED report as to how the grade your card gets was obtained. They use a 0-1000 scale on the four areas of grading, and ranges of numbers indicate what 1-10 value the card gets. So like anything over a 990 They consider a 10 Pristine, I believe. 950-989 is a 10, and you get the general idea.

https://taggrading.com/

plus for TAG is that they also offer what they call "drops" every couple of weeks or so, where you can get a small discount on the cards you send. They send you a free submission kit, and you can submit five or 10 cards for $14 each (plus return shipping, I believe, you'll have to check). The "drops" are in pretty high demand, though.

PSA charges the same price ($25) for a 65 business day turnaround. SGC (https://www.gosgc.com/) is a little cheaper at $24 per card, and they have that on a 5-10 business day turnaround. I used them on my 1990 Score Bo Jackson FB/BB card. I missed a minor flaw that I think is fixable, so I may break the card out and see if I can fix it, and re-submit.

Or, if you don't want to do that, you can buy "blank" slabs on Amazon and do it yourself. Of course, it won't be graded, so it won't have the "additional" value that goes with a grade, but you can buy your own slabs that look very much like the ones used, and "slab" your own cards. Of course, you'll probably have to use some glue to hold the slabs together, unless you have your own sonic welder...

Right now I'm focusing on adding some more Nolan Ryans to my personal collection, and expanding out my collection possibly into football. I've got eight Nolan Ryan cards currently headed to my house. That will put the number of Ryan cards that I have at over 50.

I looked up the card. The one with the belt is funny. Have you seen the Billy Ripken <censored> Face card? It's pretty sought after, and there are a number of "errors" and corrections that followed it. Just type in "Billy Ripken Error Card". You'll find it.

I've been thinking of starting a "collection" of knuckleballers too. And specific football cards, but I don't wanna spend buttloads of money every month getting cards. Probably just gonna have to make myself a list of cards I want, and go hunting for them. But there are some SUPER nice cards out now.

Edited by Monte1076
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Here's one I picked up, that is supposed to get delivered to me today:

https://www.sportscardspro.com/game/baseball-cards-1991-stadium-club/nolan-ryan-tux-200