If she only complied.

BlahBlah

How many times does someone have to ask a person to stop? Is she wearing a sign that says she has dementia? How is a police officers suppose to know what is going on when the person won't stop and hasn't shown idea? Nothing like a liberal to make a crisis out of a criminal--no matter how old or how much they took. Liberals SMFH!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

THAT was most obviously a situation that could have and should have ended with talk from someone who is trained in dealing with someone in her state! Huge overreaction and anyone who thinks an unarmed 73 year old woman should be slammed to the ground like that, for that offense, is a heartless jackass. 

11 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

THAT was most obviously a situation that could have and should have ended with talk from someone who is trained in dealing with someone in her state! Huge overreaction and anyone who thinks an unarmed 73 year old woman should be slammed to the ground like that, for that offense, is a heartless jackass. 

Where were the guidance counselors when you needed them! 

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

I’m not sure someone has to be trained to talk with folks in that state. I think 99% of cops would’ve handled that situation appropriately. I defend most cops and if this has been a 15-55 year old male i could understand, but he’s got to be a special kind of a-hole to treat an old lady that way! 

I didn't watch the entire video, because they went on a talking head spree.  If she stole something, why didn't they arrest her at Wal Mart ?  I'll admit that I've had a lot on my mind, and walked out of Wal Mart with about $40 worth of stuff.  I stopped at a fast food place, and realized I had more money in my wallet than I was supposed to have then went back to Wal Mart and paid for the stuff.  They didn't have me arrested, and she didn't have what she allegedly stole.  They should have just let things go.  I think the cop was too rough on her.  Elderly people are frail, and she's lucky she didn't break something.  I think he should have just let her go especially if it was just $13.88 worth of whatever she was purchasing.  Heck had I been the cop I would have asked her, and then went and bought it for her.  You could tell something was wrong with her mentally, and he wanted to be heavy handed.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I didn't watch the entire video, because they went on a talking head spree.  If she stole something, why didn't they arrest her at Wal Mart ?  I'll admit that I've had a lot on my mind, and walked out of Wal Mart with about $40 worth of stuff.  I stopped at a fast food place, and realized I had more money in my wallet than I was supposed to have then went back to Wal Mart and paid for the stuff.  They didn't have me arrested, and she didn't have what she allegedly stole.  They should have just let things go.  I think the cop was too rough on her.  Elderly people are frail, and she's lucky she didn't break something.  I think he should have just let her go especially if it was just $13.88 worth of whatever she was purchasing.  Heck had I been the cop I would have asked her, and then went and bought it for her.  You could tell something was wrong with her mentally, and he wanted to be heavy handed.  

So what you are saying and what Barry "loves" is that older people should just get a pass when it comes to the law--they are old--so we should just let them go. She broke the law--she would not stop for the officer--continued to walk away. Even if a police officer is trying to talk to you--you just don't walk away. And since there is NO SIGN, NO WAY to tell they have mental problems, what are they suppose to do--oh that's right, just let them go. And we wonder why they want the police to be abolished. Seems as though you have become "WOKE". Jump on that liberal bandwagon there dave. SMFH. 

• Like 1

However you look at it, that cop was sure breathing hard. Maybe all he could catch was an old lady...lol. I kind of see both sides of this, having witnessed an elderly member of my family with alzheimers inadvertently walk out of DG with a magazine. They didn't know it and when we returned it they all had a good laugh but makes you think what if they'd seen it and called the cops? Hopefully they would have handled it better than that guy did, but given the circumstances I can't really fault him too much. He did get too physical with her but there's no way he could tell she had dementia or whether she was armed until he stopped her. I've seen plenty of videos of some bad grannies...lol. 

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

So what you are saying and what Barry "loves" is that older people should just get a pass when it comes to the law--they are old--so we should just let them go. She broke the law--she would not stop for the officer--continued to walk away. Even if a police officer is trying to talk to you--you just don't walk away. And since there is NO SIGN, NO WAY to tell they have mental problems, what are they suppose to do--oh that's right, just let them go. And we wonder why they want the police to be abolished. Seems as though you have become "WOKE". Jump on that liberal bandwagon there dave. SMFH. 

😬  I don't really want to say anything wrong here. Man...

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I don’t want the police abolished. And I  also wouldn’t let her “get away with it” but the officer went too far. I’m all for him detaining her and even using minimal force (holding her) but she wasn’t a threat to him in any way. You detain her with a little trauma as possible but you don’t slam old ladys on the ground. 

1 hour ago, Old49er60 said:

The fact you continue to defend his actions is scary. She was not running from him nor threatening him, she was picking flowers. It took just a few seconds for him to decide to throw her down. Sure hope you or a loved one never gets dementia you are in for a tough time. 

Well 💩, you and I actually agree on something. This can’t happen, let’s talk elections!😉

53 minutes ago, Stoney said:

How should this situation have been handled?

Communication and de-escalation could have gone a long way right here.  The lady said she did not want to sign the ticket and told the officer no.  Right at that moment he told her she was under arrest and escalated the whole situation emotionally on both sides.  I think if he calmly explains that she has to sign the ticket and it is not an admission of guilt....and if she doesn't he will be forced to arrest her, things would have gone totally differently.  Even after it got heated he could have ended it when she said she would sign the damn ticket.  The officer obviously has issues with the her family already.  Bottom line to me, they both could have and should have handled it better.  One of them is supposedly a professional and does it for a living.  I put more of the blame on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

How should this situation have been handled?

Both played a stupid game and both will probably win a stupid prize. 
Biggest concern i saw was pulling the service weapon when she stopped again. I couldn’t see Andy Taylor doing that, then again he wasn’t stopping aunt Bee either. 

4 hours ago, Old49er60 said:

Let’s see, elderly woman picking flower on side of the road. Posing zero threat. Obviously appears dazed. So could be under the influence, could be having a medical issue by the verbal response she gives him and his choice is to throw her to the ground. The fact that you decide that his actions correct is just scary. He was in the wrong and  it is obvious he did not have training on how to handle this type of situation other than throw her down and cuff her. 

First of all, she was NOT just picking flowers, she had recently left the walmart in loveland where she had stolen stuff. So she was not just picking flowers. Appears dazed--she puts both arms out like she was saying "what the heck do you want, why should I stop"--and she continues to walk away. Anyone can see that. It is the job of the police to protect the people and the businesses--that's the problem with the "woke" crowd--you want to be protected but can't stand what has to happen sometimes. Always complaining about he should have done this or that. He was arresting a criminal, the only time that I thought was might have been a little rough was when she was on the ground already and he continued to push her back down. But then again, she was trying to get up. 

The biggest problem you guys seem to have is that rule breakers can do what ever they are allowed to do, without consequences. Yet, I bet if someone stole from any of you, you'd be the first to file charges against them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

When approached by the officer she was picking flowers. She had stole $14 worth of items. 

As for stealing and filing chargers, why yes I would, yet what happened here was $14 worth of items with an elderly woman posing zero threat who obviously showed signs of issues that an officer instantly throws to the ground. I am betting in hindsight he says he could have handled that a different way. By Colorado law it was a class 2 misdemeanor. A lack of training appears to be the issue here. SHE POSED ZERO RISK

Thank you for your opinion, and while I agree that it might have been handled differently--a police officer does NOT know what type of person they are dealing with, especially one that is defiant and uncooperative, so now you want them to be psychologist as well as officers. I just don't believe that there is enough time to decide every situation like the liberals want. I am guessing we are going to have to have chips installed in our bodies that a police officer can scan from a distance that will tell them all about the person that they are about to confront--I am sure that would make most liberals very happy. 

3 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

Here is what he did know. Elderly woman who might weigh in at 100lbs. ZERO THREAT. She was not running from him, she was not a threat to anyone around her. She did not display a weapon. In all of that with a very short talk he would know she displayed an issue, be it under the influence or mental. There was literally nothing but time in this situation unless you think the $14 worth of merchandise was going to get away. $14...........FOURTEEN...........

You sure HE knew she was zero threat? How do?

Let's see. She was on the side of the road picking flowers. She made no threatening moves. She had not robbed Walmart, she had taken $14 worth of items. 

From the location of his car in the background we can assume he had had time to assess the situation and had chosen to that he did not need back up until he threw her to the ground so there was no threat. 

So you can’t answer the question. 

I’ll ask again, how do you know He didn’t know she was a threat? Not assumptions this time. Not defending the officer. But you obviously misspoke saying what he did know. You can’t possibly know what he knows.

17 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

And just so you fully understand, if she is a threat he does not try to take her down he pulls his weapon. Try not being clueless 

So every time an officer feels someone could be a threat, they should pull their service weapon?  

• LOL! 1

I gave the facts, those are the things you hate. So what makes you think she is a threat? You won’t answer, I know that and I think deep inside you know the officer was wrong but you love to argue so if I said sky is blue you will say green
so again

Let's see. She was on the side of the road picking flowers. She made no threatening moves. She had not robbed Walmart, she had taken $14 worth of items. 

From the location of his car in the background we can assume he had had time to assess the situation and had chosen to that he did not need back up until he threw her to the ground so there was no threat. 

Last time, how do you know what he knows?

On 4/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, DannyZuco said:

Even I could tell that she wasn't all there.  Just take a look at President Biden, and some say he has dementia, but hers was evidently far worse.  It's like she didn't even recognize that he was a police officer in my opinion.  I think he should have called in a Social Worker or the EMT to check on her.  Most people here know I have an elderly friend.  He didn't know that he had diabetes.  One day he's driving in Houston on Veterans Memorial.  He said he didn't even know he was there.  He said he was stopped in the middle of the road from what the police said.  They get out, and he slugs the cop.  They called the paramedics, and determined that his actions were caused by low blood sugar.  They gave him a shot, and asked what happened and where he was.  The told him all the details.  No charges were pressed, he wasn't shot or tazed or taken to jail.  He didn't even lose his license for what I would say was having a seizure which can happen in the State of Texas.  This is the exact same case to me.  I would bet that all charges are dropped against this elderly woman and the officer is disciplined.  I want follow up on this case.  

22 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I don’t want the police abolished. And I  also wouldn’t let her “get away with it” but the officer went too far. I’m all for him detaining her and even using minimal force (holding her) but she wasn’t a threat to him in any way. You detain her with a little trauma as possible but you don’t slam old ladys on the ground. 

I would have, but I have sympathy for the elderly.  The same with those with mental disabilities unless they are being violent, and then they should be restrained.  This old woman said she was going home, so let her especially for $13.88 that Wal Mart recovered.  I say that, because I would assume that she was walking home from the store, and didn't have a shopping bag.  I would follow her home, and then call social services to do a check on her, and if her dementia was as bad as it appeared to be then her relatives should be informed of her disability and make the decision on if she should be sent to a senior care center or live with them so they could take care of her.