Grapeland Open

StingEmALTO

Head coaching experience is required on their job description.

I remember about a decade ago they had a basketball AD and ran him out for not winning the state championship.  It's also odd to me that they go ahead and reassign someone with May being this weekend.  Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the new guy to get there unless they already have the guy and just need that 10 day window.

Just now, Coach0001 said:

True one must have success playing the correct student athletes 

lol yup.. and if you play them and lose. A.) you weren't good enough or B.) should have played the right people. So either way your fault. Double edged sword there. 

On 4/26/2021 at 8:41 AM, Coach0001 said:

What a joke to do this in May!

16-8 in two years 10-3 and 6-5 

As AD they made the playoffs in every sport both years he has been the AD.

Some small school politics I am going to guess involved 

That's what I gathered up there over the weekend. People I talked to seemed pretty split about it. One was very upset about the whole ordeal and how things shook out. 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:57 AM, nationalpastime said:

Head coaching experience is required on their job description.

I remember about a decade ago they had a basketball AD and ran him out for not winning the state championship.  It's also odd to me that they go ahead and reassign someone with May being this weekend.  Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the new guy to get there unless they already have the guy and just need that 10 day window.

That basketball position is a blessing and a curse, especially with the Superintendent being a former basketball coach. 

That school revolves around that basketball program. Whether it was Coach Johnson, Clifton, Earp, or now Doughty, they are under an unbelievable microscope. It is kind of amazing the amount of turnover that program has had, and they continue to make deep playoff runs. The town has a "Title-or-bust" mentality, but the thing is the program has just one state title and that came in 1985. Even the beloved Superintendent failed to win one with some STACKED teams. 

That is what the football coach will have to deal with. You have to win, but gotta keep the basketball boys healthy. This is going to be the state title winning year, and a football injury better not be the reason we lose it.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:41 AM, Coach0001 said:

What a joke to do this in May!

16-8 in two years 10-3 and 6-5 

As AD they made the playoffs in every sport both years he has been the AD.

Some small school politics I am going to guess involved 

It could be ANY number of things.....

22 hours ago, chubbychecker said:

It could be ANY number of things.....

Like Daniel Swaim hauling cows on down to Crockett. Stopping to for a meet pie and boudan at the Krispy Krunchy Chicken a board member seeing him and knowing he was in the sight of greatness and boom here we are. 

• LOL! 1

1 minute ago, centex1 said:

Like Daniel Swaim hauling cows on down to Crockett. Stopping to for a meet pie and boudan at the Krispy Krunchy Chicken a board member seeing him and knowing he was in the sight of greatness and boom here we are. 

I mean it HAS happened before like that with Swaim....that dude, smh.

Just a comment about the offense, interviewed guy one time for head job and he would run the true spread without ever seeing the kids, his philosophy was that the spread could be run with any kind of kid. Needless to say he did not get a second interview, closed minded.

4 hours ago, Destry said:

Just a comment about the offense, interviewed guy one time for head job and he would run the true spread without ever seeing the kids, his philosophy was that the spread could be run with any kind of kid. Needless to say he did not get a second interview, closed minded.

Why didn’t you coach?   You obviously wanted him to run a offense you didn’t want him to.  I think it’s pretty closed minded to not give a guy a job because he wanted to run the spread. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destry said:

What offense do you suggest for Grapeland? I feel like the spread is a good fit for them. 

3 hours ago, TheWolf said:

Why didn’t you coach?   You obviously wanted him to run a offense you didn’t want him to.  I think it’s pretty closed minded to not give a guy a job because he wanted to run the spread. 

My point was that he said he would run the spread regardless of the abilities of the kids, not meaning anything rude, that is just how set he was on running the spread. Personally if the spread fit our kids , then go for it.