Grapeland Open

StingEmALTO

Ok guys, I think most of you know by now, I have a fascination about hiring high school coaches and with that said, I can honestly say, I do not know this Coach Woods at all. I wouldn't know him if he walked in the room. But the "attaboys" being thrown around with the assumption he'll do great at Grapeland is strange to me. 

Think about it. I'm not picking on any person on this board, but think about some of the things that are said in sports that are so common place, but actually make not sense at all. Like this one - "He knows how to coach athletes"......LOL. Who doesn't? Seriously. Aren't almost all coaches' best years when they actually have better "athletes"? Isn't the better the athlete the easier to coach? If so, wouldn't the true measure of a coach be what he or she does with average to below average athletes? Wouldn't a coach that can get average kids to compete look like a great coach if he has more talent? What about these guys who have great talent and still don't win? What would they do with lesser kids and what type of coach would they be labeled? 

I see mention of Coach Woods at Daingerfield. We all know they typically have very good athletes for their classification and division. Really one of the most talented 3A schools in the state. Did he underachieve with these "athletes", do just what was expected or did he exceed the expectations? He was the OC. So, how does he qualify to be the HC of Grapeland? Ah, that's right. He was the head coach at Detroit. 

So, naturally, Grapeland hires him to be the AD and Head Football Coach. Oh, but wait, he was NOT the AD at Detroit and if anyone knows anything about Detroit they know Coach A has been the AD and has ran the entire girls side of sports for almost a decade and a half. 

But, that's ok. Seriously. I bet Coach Woods is ready. He probably got some "boys coordinator" type experience, got his feet wet just a bit with AD type duties and is ready for the transition to become a full blown AD. I don't blame him at all and I truly wish him the best. As a head coach hiring committee, if I'm hiring, I'm a little bit leery of only 1 year of HC experience with a 4-7 record. Not all of that can be attributed to him though because he isn't the AD and probably didn't have much say in his assistants. 

But here's the real pickle with Grapeland Texas. No one has really delved into why Coach Ward was "reassigned". Some of us know a little bit and I doubt anyone will be talking. But hypothetically speaking, if, just if, basketball was the top priority in a community and if the head coach of that sport has a lot of pull along with someone he may or may not be married to who also works in the school and you don't have as much say as an AD should when it comes to off-season and so forth,......now is that really an AD job at all? I would assume it's a compromised situation to say the least. Wouldn't it be a safe assumption if you wanted status quo to stay status quo that you might hire a lesser experienced guy, maybe someone that's not really been an AD before so you can get your way and keep doing business as usual? Ahh....the political unaccountable maneuvering in small town Texas USA amongst School Boards, Admin and "The Good Ole Boys". But hey, I'm almost always wrong, so don't sweat it. 😊

No one wants to be the guy driving with a back seat driver who has immunity. If you got all the right answers from the backseat, I say get behind the wheel and show us how to drive this thing. With all the good comes congratulations. With all the bad comes the "adios muchachos". 

Coach Woods, keep your guard up, do the best you can and trust no one. You can't in this business. You are in a very difficult situation. Keep your head on a swivel and do what's right. 

I'd have me a conversation with the Head Coach who is leaving. 

Remember guys, I'm just putting out some fat for everyone to chew on. Nothing personal meant here. Let the games begin!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

Ok guys, I think most of you know by now, I have a fascination about hiring high school coaches and with that said, I can honestly say, I do not know this Coach Woods at all. I wouldn't know him if he walked in the room. But the "attaboys" being thrown around with the assumption he'll do great at Grapeland is strange to me. 

Think about it. I'm not picking on any person on this board, but think about some of the things that are said in sports that are so common place, but actually make not sense at all. Like this one - "He knows how to coach athletes"......LOL. Who doesn't? Seriously. Aren't almost all coaches' best years when they actually have better "athletes"? Isn't the better the athlete the easier to coach? If so, wouldn't the true measure of a coach be what he or she does with average to below average athletes? Wouldn't a coach that can get average kids to compete look like a great coach if he has more talent? What about these guys who have great talent and still don't win? What would they do with lesser kids and what type of coach would they be labeled? 

I see mention of Coach Woods at Daingerfield. We all know they typically have very good athletes for their classification and division. Really one of the most talented 3A schools in the state. Did he underachieve with these "athletes", do just what was expected or did he exceed the expectations? He was the OC. So, how does he qualify to be the HC of Grapeland? Ah, that's right. He was the head coach at Detroit. 

So, naturally, Grapeland hires him to be the AD and Head Football Coach. Oh, but wait, he was NOT the AD at Detroit and if anyone knows anything about Detroit they know Coach A has been the AD and has ran the entire girls side of sports for almost a decade and a half. 

But, that's ok. Seriously. I bet Coach Woods is ready. He probably got some "boys coordinator" type experience, got his feet wet just a bit with AD type duties and is ready for the transition to become a full blown AD. I don't blame him at all and I truly wish him the best. As a head coach hiring committee, if I'm hiring, I'm a little bit leery of only 1 year of HC experience with a 4-7 record. Not all of that can be attributed to him though because he isn't the AD and probably didn't have much say in his assistants. 

But here's the real pickle with Grapeland Texas. No one has really delved into why Coach Ward was "reassigned". Some of us know a little bit and I doubt anyone will be talking. But hypothetically speaking, if, just if, basketball was the top priority in a community and if the head coach of that sport has a lot of pull along with someone he may or may not be married to who also works in the school and you don't have as much say as an AD should when it comes to off-season and so forth,......now is that really an AD job at all? I would assume it's a compromised situation to say the least. Wouldn't it be a safe assumption if you wanted status quo to stay status quo that you might hire a lesser experienced guy, maybe someone that's not really been an AD before so you can get your way and keep doing business as usual? Ahh....the political unaccountable maneuvering in small town Texas USA amongst School Boards, Admin and "The Good Ole Boys". But hey, I'm almost always wrong, so don't sweat it. 😊

No one wants to be the guy driving with a back seat driver who has immunity. If you got all the right answers from the backseat, I say get behind the wheel and show us how to drive this thing. With all the good comes congratulations. With all the bad comes the "adios muchachos". 

Coach Woods, keep your guard up, do the best you can and trust no one. You can't in this business. You are in a very difficult situation. Keep your head on a swivel and do what's right. 

Remember guys, I'm just putting out some fat for everyone to chew on. Nothing personal meant here. Let the games begin!

There are a lot of people who do not know how to coach athletes... Athletes are different. Some can understand the game on a different level than others. Some you have to simplify the game to its basic level to get that athlete to play at his best. Great coaches can do that. So to say he can coach athletes, that means to me, that he knows how to reach different levels of athletes for their understanding of the game. Anybody can be a sponsor to a great athlete. Even you. Getting athletes to play together is another aspect of "he can coach athletes." Look at how many schools have athletes and do not compete because of selfish play. Getting those players to play together is extremely difficult. Some coaches have the best knowledge of the game but do not know how to relate it to their players. Some have a little less knowledge but can get anyone to understand the game and play fast. Football is a game of keep it simple and play fast. If you can do those things as a coach, then you are going to be successful. Coaching athletes is a lot more difficult than most think. Teaching IQ of the sport is the most important thing a coach can do. I think this is what is meant by "he can coach athletes."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

" As a head coach hiring committee, if I'm hiring, I'm a little bit leery of only 1 year of HC experience with a 4-7 record. "

I personally wondered how he got the Detroit job, but then I'm not very smart and wonder about MANY things. (Although he does have a good press agent in MAUDITE) While you're at that though, I wonder if the recently let go head basketball coach at Detroit would have good things to say about Woods.  Pretty sure that basketball coach had been there several years with some success and then in Woods first year gets put out to pasture.....🤨

7 hours ago, RW2008 said:

There are a lot of people who do not know how to coach athletes... Athletes are different. Some can understand the game on a different level than others. Some you have to simplify the game to its basic level to get that athlete to play at his best. Great coaches can do that. So to say he can coach athletes, that means to me, that he knows how to reach different levels of athletes for their understanding of the game. Anybody can be a sponsor to a great athlete. Even you. Getting athletes to play together is another aspect of "he can coach athletes." Look at how many schools have athletes and do not compete because of selfish play. Getting those players to play together is extremely difficult. Some coaches have the best knowledge of the game but do not know how to relate it to their players. Some have a little less knowledge but can get anyone to understand the game and play fast. Football is a game of keep it simple and play fast. If you can do those things as a coach, then you are going to be successful. Coaching athletes is a lot more difficult than most think. Teaching IQ of the sport is the most important thing a coach can do. I think this is what is meant by "he can coach athletes."

How many different monikers for "Capt Obvious" can we all list.....LOL.

Of course there are a lot of people that cannot coach athletes, just like a lot of people can't coach non-athletes. 

Athletes are different. Some can understand the game on a different level than others. Some you have to simplify the game to its basic level to get that athlete to play at his best. Great coaches can do that. So to say he can coach athletes, that means to me, that he knows how to reach different levels of athletes for their understanding of the game. How is this a different approach of any other "athlete" a coach might encounter? It's not. Every HS level kid is different and talent level (which is what is suggested by "athlete" here) has nothing to do with how someone coaches an "athlete". You just said so yourself. So how is this different from coaching "JV Johnny?" Anybody can be a sponsor to a great athlete. Even you. Getting athletes to play together is another aspect of "he can coach athletes." Again, how is this different from coaching "non-athletes"? Look at how many schools have athletes and do not compete because of selfish play. Getting those players to play together is extremely difficult. "Are you suggesting that players with more ability and talent or less amicable to teamwork, work ethic, etc.? This is "type-casting" to an extent. And I do agree there are a lot of schools with talent that are underachievers. Daingerfield is a poster child of such. 😆 Some coaches have the best knowledge of the game but do not know how to relate it to their players. Some have a little less knowledge but can get anyone to understand the game and play fast. Football is a game of keep it simple and play fast. Too many variables to agree to this. Westlake, Allen, and  Carthage are places that actually play some complex ball, so I have to believe they don't have any "Athletes". If you can do those things as a coach, then you are going to be successful. Agreed. Coaching athletes is a lot more difficult than most think. Absolutely not at all true. Coaching is about establishing relationships. Some can do that with practically any types of players and some do not. But be leery of the coach who only wins with Talent.....and rarely wins without it. It reflects the the talent carries is lesser coaching and his coaching cannot carry the lesser talent. Teaching IQ of the sport is the most important thing a coach can do. Not even close. I think this is what is meant by "he can coach athletes." What was meant was an assumption that the high(er)lights of his career coincide when talent was prevalent. 

More specifically, the Grapeland situation, as we all know is actually loaded with talent for their division. So I guess time will tell. I do NOT believe it will reflect his true abilities as a coach as there are certain situations there that will have 1 arm pinned behind his back. But, i wish him well and if we don't see any early exits from the playoffs to get on that hardwood, then we'll know he can truly "coach athletes". 

Great discussion.

7 hours ago, chubbychecker said:

" As a head coach hiring committee, if I'm hiring, I'm a little bit leery of only 1 year of HC experience with a 4-7 record. "

I personally wondered how he got the Detroit job, but then I'm not very smart and wonder about MANY things. (Although he does have a good press agent in MAUDITE) While you're at that though, I wonder if the recently let go head basketball coach at Detroit would have good things to say about Woods.  Pretty sure that basketball coach had been there several years with some success and then in Woods first year gets put out to pasture.....🤨

He got the Detroit job, hopefully, b/c he was the most qualified. Most likely, he was at minimum equally qualified as any other applicant. It's not an AD job, you have teach social studies classes, you don't have any say over coaching personnel and it doesn't pay very much at all. According to the structure Detroit has for it's Athletic Program, it reflects zero interest in Football. So, with all of that, I doubt the applicant pool was rich with coaches with tons fo experience and if so, it was probably bad experience. Coach W had some winning at Daingerfield and that can get a guy an interview more times than not, especially if you are listed as a Coordinator of some sort, wether you are in reality of just by title while you job search 😳

As for the BB coach, that should fall on the shoulders of the AD and not the Hd Football coach. After all, Coach W isn't the AD. So I would think the BB coach leaving shouldn't have a problem of any kind with Coach W. 

As long as Detroit leaves everything set the way it is and does not attach the AD title to the Head Football Coach, they are destined to make this same mistake over again. And, that's probably what will happen. 

If you guys ever want an real explanation as to why the AD MUST BE THE HEAD FOOTBALL COACH in class 3A and down, hit me up. It has to be that way. There are exceptions....very few mind you, like Brock, but there's a reason they are exceptions and not the norm. There is a typical set of standard operating procedures that should be followed in all types of business to compete against others in your line of work. This is one of them. 

Detroit has got to make the Head Football Coach the AD or at bare minimum, the boys AD. 

2 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

He got the Detroit job, hopefully, b/c he was the most qualified. Most likely, he was at minimum equally qualified as any other applicant. It's not an AD job, you have teach social studies classes, you don't have any say over coaching personnel and it doesn't pay very much at all. According to the structure Detroit has for it's Athletic Program, it reflects zero interest in Football. So, with all of that, I doubt the applicant pool was rich with coaches with tons fo experience and if so, it was probably bad experience. Coach W had some winning at Daingerfield and that can get a guy an interview more times than not, especially if you are listed as a Coordinator of some sort, wether you are in reality of just by title while you job search 😳

As for the BB coach, that should fall on the shoulders of the AD and not the Hd Football coach. After all, Coach W isn't the AD. So I would think the BB coach leaving shouldn't have a problem of any kind with Coach W. 

As long as Detroit leaves everything set the way it is and does not attach the AD title to the Head Football Coach, they are destined to make this same mistake over again. And, that's probably what will happen. 

If you guys ever want an real explanation as to why the AD MUST BE THE HEAD FOOTBALL COACH in class 3A and down, hit me up. It has to be that way. There are exceptions....very few mind you, like Brock, but there's a reason they are exceptions and not the norm. There is a typical set of standard operating procedures that should be followed in all types of business to compete against others in your line of work. This is one of them. 

Detroit has got to make the Head Football Coach the AD or at bare minimum, the boys AD. 

Detroit job is listed as the boys AD

Oh let's see. A lot of zero experienced coaches get the HFC job due to the superintendent's incompetence. Sometimes the sup puts all of their trust in, and relied on a mutual friend shared with said candidate. I'd be willing to bet that he wasn't the most qualified with 0 years head coaching experience. It's not always experience.... Jeff Allensworth has been the AD at Detroit for a long while now and it was snatched out from under him. Wonder how the sup feels now after splitting the athletic director role leaving JA with just the title and gave Wood all the actual power AFTER Wood gave her the ultimatum of doing that or he'd leave.....then he left!! It's not always the most qualified for the job that gets hired, sometimes it's the grandest illusion. And just like that,  the Wood be savior of small town football, whom undoubtedly proclaimed his goal and intention of staying there to build a program is gone. Taking with him newly acquired experience as HFC/AD. But that's just 2A football in Texas.

16 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

I only mentioned the BskB coach because I was told, by someone there, regardless of whether he was AD or not..... W had a hand in that happening. 

4 hours ago, ThrowthatBall said:

Oh let's see. A lot of zero experienced coaches get the HFC job due to the superintendent's incompetence. Sometimes the sup puts all of their trust in, and relied on a mutual friend shared with said candidate. I'd be willing to bet that he wasn't the most qualified with 0 years head coaching experience. It's not always experience.... Jeff Allensworth has been the AD at Detroit for a long while now and it was snatched out from under him. Wonder how the sup feels now after splitting the athletic director role leaving JA with just the title and gave Wood all the actual power AFTER Wood gave her the ultimatum of doing that or he'd leave.....then he left!! It's not always the most qualified for the job that gets hired, sometimes it's the grandest illusion. And just like that,  the Wood be savior of small town football, whom undoubtedly proclaimed his goal and intention of staying there to build a program is gone. Taking with him newly acquired experience as HFC/AD. But that's just 2A football in Texas.

Man, I like your style. Very well said. 

The only thing I want to add to this, regardless of Coach A's quality as an AD, the most optimal means to top to bottom success in both girls and boys sports, is #1 - AD is the Hd Football Coach or #2 You have split AD's with both having schedules and resources in a way they can focus on their programs completely. Detroit was never going to win in football with Coach as AD. He's been there 14 years and they have 3 winning seasons and 3 playoff wins. So honestly, something should have been done a long time ago. 

But you are correct. I say that some BS with outgoing guy getting what he wanted and then splitting like he did. But, I don't know his entire situation. I can promise you, what awaits him in Grapeland is no better and potentially worse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chubbychecker said:

I only mentioned the BskB coach because I was told, by someone there, regardless of whether he was AD or not..... W had a hand in that happening. 

I wasn't disputing you brother, just saying that ultimately, the AD "should" be the guy making that call and having that responsibility. I'm sure the BB coach isn't a fan of either coaches. However, as a true believer that a coach is hired to win, 0-20 should write your pink slip every single time. I'm sorry, but that's just not going to change with me. 

But see, this is more evidence of what they are doing doesn't work. It's not even fair to the coaches there. In small schools, AD who is NOT the Hd FB coach just doesn't work. It never will. The accountability isn't aligned correctly. I guarantee you, there are some coaches who can win in Detroit, in everything, if things are set up correctly. I'm not saying they are state champs in anything, but they can be competitive and in the hunt for a district title and so forth regular. 

There is a formula or recipe so to speak that allows any place to win. It all comes down to wether the ISD and community is willing to embrace it or not. 

42 minutes ago, CodeBreaker said:

I wasn't disputing you brother, just saying that ultimately, the AD "should" be the guy making that call and having that responsibility. I'm sure the BB coach isn't a fan of either coaches. However, as a true believer that a coach is hired to win, 0-20 should write your pink slip every single time. I'm sorry, but that's just not going to change with me. 

But see, this is more evidence of what they are doing doesn't work. It's not even fair to the coaches there. In small schools, AD who is NOT the Hd FB coach just doesn't work. It never will. The accountability isn't aligned correctly. I guarantee you, there are some coaches who can win in Detroit, in everything, if things are set up correctly. I'm not saying they are state champs in anything, but they can be competitive and in the hunt for a district title and so forth regular. 

There is a formula or recipe so to speak that allows any place to win. It all comes down to wether the ISD and community is willing to embrace it or not. 

I have said this as well. Detroit, with the right setup, culture, and leaders in place can win. I was told by others that it could not happen in there. 

Coach wood really wanted the Grapeland job before Ward got it... Had the best Resume between the finalist on football and how he would run things and background. Only thing he didn’t have was AD and head coaching experience. That is why Ward was picked over Wood a few years ago...  Grapeland is loaded in 7th, 8th and freshman classes in football. Best group of kids in a long time. 

• Like 1