Hiring Coaches Question

ObiOne

22 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

A fair process would be a hiring committee.  Normally, it is just the AD.

Respectfully disagree.

I say you hire the AD and let him staff his program. Granted, a big part of your evaluation of him is his ability to staff his department. But I think it's a bad idea for school admins or board members to tell ADs who to hire/fire. 

Of course, I'm saying all this as a department head myself.    ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 70Blood said:

Usually small schools do have committees which are made up of all the Coaches on Staff.  The AD works with all of them reaching out across the state in finding the best possible candidate for the job that is open.  If you as an AD do not use the resource of every coach on staff you are limiting yourself in finding the best candidate.  I have been on both sides of the desk and never seen nor done any hiring without either asking all assistant coaches or being asked to find out background info on every candidate that is being considered.  I also firmly believe that if you are a good coach you can transfer your abilities from sport to sport.  Therefore if you do a great job in one sport and don't do your job in another you really are not a Coach because you are trying to promote yourself more than the players.  

Not an AD, but I am a director. I hire and fire my own people...  and am held accountable for their work.

If we do well, it makes me look good. If they screw up, it puts my job in jeopardy. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

I definitely agree with using all the other coaches and all the coaching contacts that you know to find out about a possible new hire...I guess I just never thought of it as a "committee" I just thought that was the way things worked in the coaching world. 

I thought exactly the same as you but if they want to call it a committee we have been doing that for years. lol

• Like 1