UIL hoops news...

Eagleborn

I personally do not see the great need for a shot clock at the high school level.  If a team goes into a stall......then the opposing coach has the opportunity to teach more basketball to his team on ways to prevent this.  Conversely......teaching players how to maintain control of the ball over an extended time is a good thing at this level IMO.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I personally do not see the great need for a shot clock at the high school level.  If a team goes into a stall......then the opposing coach has the opportunity to teach more basketball to his team on ways to prevent this.  Conversely......teaching players how to maintain control of the ball over an extended time is a good thing at this level IMO.  

I used to agree 100% but I’ve changed in recent years. 
Watching the European players and the Ball movement they typically get is really fun to watch. They also develop their bigs to handle the ball and shoot better than the US players. I think the reason for most of that is playing with a shot clock at an early age. I would compare that style to the spurs with pop and Duncan and company. I enjoy watching the ball movement vs the iso or pick and roll every possession. 

That said, I still like watching a bob Knight style motion offense that’s run well. 

• Like 1

I guess I don't see the benefit of teaching "ball control" to that extent or in this specific context. To me, I'd certainly place more value on controlled movement and scoring ... which you have to do, eventually, to win the game.

As a former sportswriter, I sat through a number of games where teams would literally stand with the ball and wouldn't move until forced to do so. That's not coaching. That's not teaching. That's not benefitting anyone. Not to mention, it's horrendous to watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I guess I don't see the benefit of teaching "ball control" to that extent or in this specific context. To me, I'd certainly place more value on controlled movement and scoring ... which you have to do, eventually, to win the game.

As a former sportswriter, I sat through a number of games where teams would literally stand with the ball and wouldn't move until forced to do so. That's not coaching. That's not teaching. That's not benefitting anyone. Not to mention, it's horrendous to watch.

Yeah, I don't see the down side to instituting the shot clock.  

I personally think it's something we should leave alone.  For the really good teams out there I'm sure they do want a shot clock so they can dictate the game a little more. But for some of us at smaller schools that may not always have great basketball players, slowing the game down prevents you from getting run out of the gym. With that said, I'm not a fan of the sit at the top of the key and hold it for two minutes, but I think there are some coaches who use ball control to level the playing field a bit.

The biggest issue schools will have is finding someone who understands shot clock rules well enough to run the clock correctly. Can you imagine how many shot clock mistakes will be made in some of these schools? I think it's a logistical nightmare.

I'm fully prepared for all of you run and gun people to come at me now, I can take it.

• LOL! 1

21 minutes ago, uniballer said:

I personally think it's something we should leave alone.  For the really good teams out there I'm sure they do want a shot clock so they can dictate the game a little more. But for some of us at smaller schools that may not always have great basketball players, slowing the game down prevents you from getting run out of the gym. With that said, I'm not a fan of the sit at the top of the key and hold it for two minutes, but I think there are some coaches who use ball control to level the playing field a bit.

The biggest issue schools will have is finding someone who understands shot clock rules well enough to run the clock correctly. Can you imagine how many shot clock mistakes will be made in some of these schools? I think it's a logistical nightmare.

I'm fully prepared for all of you run and gun people to come at me now, I can take it.

I agree with you kinda, but I’ll counter with this. I think smaller/ less talented schools could have more success at stopping more talented players. You have a chance with a shot clock of  making others beat you. You can double or deny a good player for 24 seconds, it’s really hard to do that indefinitely. 

Also, if a team is just better i see no difference in losing 80-40 vs 30-15. It’s a whipping either way

i do think 35-45 seconds is about right

5 minutes ago, uniballer said:

It’s a matter of preference for sure.

I’ll say this, I’d much rather lose 30-15 than 80-40. Lol.

We were pretty salty one year back in the day. We played a team who ran 4 corners the entire game. We beat them 33-10 but man that was a miserably boring game! 

On 6/14/2021 at 6:05 PM, Eagleborn said:

UIL will vote in the morning during legislative counsel on using poop clocks in 6A and 5A. 

IDK if I’d be for or against it. 

Isn't a poop clock what was put on Lamar Jackson against the Cleveland Browns last year😂

• LOL! 1

I saw Pewitt lose to Clarksville back in the day by 50+ the first time around in district play the year they either won or lost State.  The second time around our coach stalled and almost won playing for corners against them.