Jump to content

Dave Campbell 2021 2A D1 top 10


lionpride08
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/20/2021 at 3:46 PM, lionpride08 said:

Hearne will be down losing some good talent. A team that will be on the radar soon is Marlin. They got something cooking there. May not be this year but could make a good run

Why don't you take it to the 3A thread? Comprende?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Correct, considering they’re both 3A schools. Apparently some of the people on this forum don’t know the difference. 

Some one has to talk on the 2a fourms no one was really talking on it till the 3a guys got on it. Marlin is my dark horse got something special goin on over there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, trueblue82 said:

I don’t like it any better than you do, but facts are facts. The only Region 3 team to win a 2A D1 semifinal since 2008 was Mart, who is no longer in D1. Region 4 has our number. Top to bottom, I think the competition in R3 is better, but those top 3 in R4 (Mason, Shiner, Refugio) are monsters. How would a 2020 Timpson, or a 2017-19 San Augustine fare in R4? How would one of those big 3 look after a district schedule that includes say, Garrison, Joaquin, and San Augustine? We’ll never know without seeing some of our top teams take on some of the “other” R4 teams. It’s worth noting that R3 took in a lot of teams that have traditionally been R4 in this alignment (Thorndale, Hearne, Holland) and they didn’t do well at all against R3 teams in the playoffs.  But those 3 have got it figured out down there for sure. 

Can't remember the last time Thorndale or Holland were relevant while in R4.  Yes, they would roll through the regular season and look like they were good, but then when they came up against Refugio, Shiner, or Mason, they got donkey stomped.  I wouldn't expect them to much, if any better against R3 once they get deeper 3rd to 4th round in playoffs.  Holland thought they were a tremendous team two years ago and I tried telling them throughout the season that yes, they were good, but they simply hadn't seen the level of competition they were going to see and then they got rolled like a middle school team once they faced Refugio.  Nobody likes hearing it and they always get upset thinking those telling them this are just ripping on their team instead of giving an honest opinion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Can't remember the last time Thorndale or Holland were relevant while in R4.  Yes, they would roll through the regular season and look like they were good, but then when they came up against Refugio, Shiner, or Mason, they got donkey stomped.  I wouldn't expect them to much, if any better against R3 once they get deeper 3rd to 4th round in playoffs.  Holland thought they were a tremendous team two years ago and I tried telling them throughout the season that yes, they were good, but they simply hadn't seen the level of competition they were going to see and then they got rolled like a middle school team once they faced Refugio.  Nobody likes hearing it and they always get upset thinking those telling them this are just ripping on their team instead of giving an honest opinion.

 

I think Hearne made it to round 3 in 2020 where they got rolled by a Beckville team that was the 2 seed out of District 9. Certainly doesn’t make it look like the second rung teams from the old R4 would fare well in East Texas. But that could have been a outlier, who knows? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, Everide2016 said:

Can't remember the last time Thorndale or Holland were relevant while in R4.  Yes, they would roll through the regular season and look like they were good, but then when they came up against Refugio, Shiner, or Mason, they got donkey stomped.  I wouldn't expect them to much, if any better against R3 once they get deeper 3rd to 4th round in playoffs.  Holland thought they were a tremendous team two years ago and I tried telling them throughout the season that yes, they were good, but they simply hadn't seen the level of competition they were going to see and then they got rolled like a middle school team once they faced Refugio.  Nobody likes hearing it and they always get upset thinking those telling them this are just ripping on their team instead of giving an honest opinion.

 

I can remember some folks trying to tell Timpson fans that it was going to get ugly in the Semis and they wanted no part of it. It happens with every team when they haven’t really been there before. Heck it took SA three straight trips to be competitive and have a legit shot at winning against Region 4. We’ll see if Timpson can go on a similar run with this group of kids and compete with those guys in Region 4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I can remember some folks trying to tell Timpson fans that it was going to get ugly in the Semis and they wanted no part of it. It happens with every team when they haven’t really been there before. Heck it took SA three straight trips to be competitive and have a legit shot at winning against Region 4. We’ll see if Timpson can go on a similar run with this group of kids and compete with those guys in Region 4. 

I agree with this. We got there in 2009 and found out how not ready we were. Curious to see if Timpson can maintain that level of play again. They were really consistent in 2020, especially considering how young they were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree with this. We got there in 2009 and found out how not ready we were. Curious to see if Timpson can maintain that level of play again. They were really consistent in 2020, especially considering how young they were. 

Time will tell for sure but the new additions to this years team should fill the gaps nicely.  I don’t see Courtney or Bussey getting anything but better!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bear9T1 said:

Time will tell for sure but the new additions to this years team should fill the gaps nicely.  I don’t see Courtney or Bussey getting anything but better!  

The Bussey kid is going to be scary good. Courtney already is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, trueblue82 said:

I think Hearne made it to round 3 in 2020 where they got rolled by a Beckville team that was the 2 seed out of District 9. Certainly doesn’t make it look like the second rung teams from the old R4 would fare well in East Texas. But that could have been a outlier, who knows? 

Rolled? They won 41-38 over hearne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, trueblue82 said:

I don’t like it any better than you do, but facts are facts. The only Region 3 team to win a 2A D1 semifinal since 2008 was Mart, who is no longer in D1. Region 4 has our number. Top to bottom, I think the competition in R3 is better, but those top 3 in R4 (Mason, Shiner, Refugio) are monsters. How would a 2020 Timpson, or a 2017-19 San Augustine fare in R4? How would one of those big 3 look after a district schedule that includes say, Garrison, Joaquin, and San Augustine? We’ll never know without seeing some of our top teams take on some of the “other” R4 teams. It’s worth noting that R3 took in a lot of teams that have traditionally been R4 in this alignment (Thorndale, Hearne, Holland) and they didn’t do well at all against R3 teams in the playoffs.  But those 3 have got it figured out down there for sure. 

Those big 3 would look fine after a district schedule like Garrison, Joaquin, and San Augustine.  Especially Shiner and Refugio as they already play quality 3A and 4A teams in pre-district; i.e. Shiner beat Halletsville this year and Halletsville played in the 3A championship game and then Refugio is always playing up with the likes of Geronimo Navarro and others.  They might even be better if they had better district competition.  It can get hard to keep the boys focused when they're wiping the field with weak district opponents every week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Those big 3 would look fine after a district schedule like Garrison, Joaquin, and San Augustine.  Especially Shiner and Refugio as they already play quality 3A and 4A teams in pre-district; i.e. Shiner beat Halletsville this year and Halletsville played in the 3A championship game and then Refugio is always playing up with the likes of Geronimo Navarro and others.  They might even be better if they had better district competition.  It can get hard to keep the boys focused when they're wiping the field with weak district opponents every week.

This may very well be true. Thanks to the distance between these teams, we likely won’t see many regular season matchups. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, hunter92 said:

They may have the best running back in our region and he is only a sophomore.

He’s a good looking kid. My boy got to know him pretty good during track season. Eager to see Beckville in our 1st scrimmage. Will be better than seeing Overton (nothing against Overton), but this is the caliber of team you want your kids to see in Beckville. We are in year 1 of a new offense and regime. Work cut out, but if we can keep this staff for a while, I feel we can build something in the years to come. I’m excited for this year. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2021 at 12:21 PM, SwarmingOnEm said:

He’s a good looking kid. My boy got to know him pretty good during track season. Eager to see Beckville in our 1st scrimmage. Will be better than seeing Overton (nothing against Overton), but this is the caliber of team you want your kids to see in Beckville. We are in year 1 of a new offense and regime. Work cut out, but if we can keep this staff for a while, I feel we can build something in the years to come. I’m excited for this year. 

I'm sure ya'll will get it rolling, Alto is never down for long.  Too much tradition.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...