Dave Campbell 2021 4A D2 preseason top 10

lionpride08

20 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Looks about right, except PG in there at 5. They return 4 starters total if I heard correctly? They may get there in the end, and preseason polls always work themselves out, but that seems high for what they have returning. Celina is top 5 for sure. 

I think Celina will be top 5 when it's all said and done, no doubt. Unless things go catastrophically wrong. The pieces are there for this group to be the best Bobcats team since the 2015 runner-up group. We've got the offensive line, the QB, some really great WRs, and a tandem of stud young RBs. They've also got a ton of speed, strength and discipline on the defensive side of things, too. The team chemistry seems to be really high too, like in 2015, and this group just has a lot of fun together.

I think the tone of the season can (and needs to) be set right off the bat in those first three games. It's crucial for Celina to get a win against either Melissa, Paris or Argyle. If they can get one or two, they'll have the confidence to push to the next level. If they somehow won all three (which they have the talent to do), then look out. Last year the young guys took some lumps and got their hearts broken in a few big-time matchups. But that has helped grow this group and fuel the offseason, and I think it could pay some dividends in 2021.

9 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Paris and then in the playoffs 

You may not be wrong, honestly. Paris will be a legit contender in Div. I.

PG's schedule is going to provide fans some excitement, and it's going to throw those young guys into the fire right away and give them some real growing opportunities. The Hawks will definitely have a crooked number in the loss column, but once playoff times rolls around, I bet they'll be playing post-Thanksgiving. In fact, I'd bet if they get knocked out in the postseason, it'll be at the hands of the Buckeyes.

18 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

You may not be wrong, honestly. Paris will be a legit contender in Div. I.

PG's schedule is going to provide fans some excitement, and it's going to throw those young guys into the fire right away and give them some real growing opportunities. The Hawks will definitely have a crooked number in the loss column, but once playoff times rolls around, I bet they'll be playing post-Thanksgiving. In fact, I'd bet if they get knocked out in the postseason, it'll be at the hands of the Buckeyes.

I’m going to agree.  PG will probably have a few L’s due to the schedule but just looking at the region, besides Gilmer, who else will be able to match up with them?    Is there a region 2 team that returns a bunch on both sides that was a contender last fall?   In district Pitt should be a little better and LE will be somewhat better but don’t think they will beat PG.    

56 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

I’m going to agree.  PG will probably have a few L’s due to the schedule but just looking at the region, besides Gilmer, who else will be able to match up with them?    Is there a region 2 team that returns a bunch on both sides that was a contender last fall?   In district Pitt should be a little better and LE will be somewhat better but don’t think they will beat PG.    

Yeah that was sorta my thought. I don’t see much in Region II that will keep them from December football. Caddo Mills lost their dude. And I just don’t see a ton of top 10-15 caliber teams that will have a legitimate case against the Hawks. The region goes through Gilmer, no question. But PG will have the horses, with some growth and maturity through the season, to go toe-to-toe with the Buckeyes come Region II finals. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, BlackShirtD said:

Gilmer & PG will decide #1 & #2.  SH, LE & Pitt will fight for #3 & #4 spots.  NL will be #6.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:52 PM, dillonpanthers said:

Will be interested to see how PG does this year. Not sure I'd put them at 5, but they may come out hot

Pleasant Grove has a lot of new talent. If they put together a good offensive line and play good defense don't be surprised if Hawks don't play Carthage twice this year. PG quarterback and running back are really special, but young.

19 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Gilmer & PG will decide #1 & #2.  SH, LE & Pitt will fight for #3 & #4 spots.  NL will be #6.

Gilmer,PG,LE,Pitt,SH and NL. I just don’t think Spring Hill will have enough after losing their top two returning athletes. Also if I’m not wrong I think y’all have to replace the whole O-line. 

42 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Gilmer,PG,LE,Pitt,SH and NL. I just don’t think Spring Hill will have enough after losing their top two returning athletes. Also if I’m not wrong I think y’all have to replace the whole O-line. 

PG will completely depend on staying healthy.  If we are healthy after pre-district, then we will be able to make some noise in district and playoffs.  If we aren't healthy, then we will survive this year but look forward to the next two seasons when we should be really good.

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

SH will be in the mix for the #3 spot.  We lost 3 OL to graduation but other returners got valuable snaps due to injuries during the season.  Will also get some nice size coming up from the 9th and JV teams but they will need to grow up fast.  We will be deeper on both sides of the ball this year than last and won’t flip/flop on QB during the season.  As the smallest enrollment school in the district, we will need the injury bug to stay away though to realize our potential.

6 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Our offense is gonna be even better than last yr, especially the line play. We will be better at the runningback spot for sure and watch how our WR core looks. 

Should be fun for opposing defenses. Not to mention Tennison has had a year — and state title appearance — to grow/mature at QB.

27 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Our offense is gonna be even better than last yr, especially the line play. We will be better at the runningback spot for sure and watch how our WR core looks. 

If Tennison can cut down on the turnovers, the offense will be that much more potent! Now granted, I only saw Gilmer in the two games against Carthage and when Gilmer beat PG.  Honest question, because I don't know the stats, did he have turnover issues in any other games or was it just the big ones against some better defenses? Also, that is not to say it was all his fault, I know in those games he was getting more pressure and having to run for his life more than one would typically like their QB to have to.  

3 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

If Tennison can cut down on the turnovers, the offense will be that much more potent! Now granted, I only saw Gilmer in the two games against Carthage and when Gilmer beat PG.  Honest question, because I don't know the stats, did he have turnover issues in any other games or was it just the big ones against some better defenses? Also, that is not to say it was all his fault, I know in those games he was getting more pressure and having to run for his life more than one would typically like their QB to have to.  

He forced a lot of throws into tight coverage last year thinking he had the arm strength to fit it in.  I suspect he won’t make as many of those mistakes this year.  He has been putting in the work this off season.

3 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

A lot of it was growing pains, last yr was his first full yr starting. Also prolly more than 10 of his ints were because they receiver didn’t run the right route but all the outside folks see is the int. This yr we shouldn’t have to rely so much on the pass and will truly have a running game. If you see in the playoffs we moved his cousin up Ashton Haynes who was on JV all yr, rushed for over 500 yards. So with a yr under his belt and knowing he’s the guy I think he will break some records this yr.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

A lot of it was growing pains, last yr was his first full yr starting. Also prolly more than 10 of his ints were because they receiver didn’t run the right route but all the outside folks see is the int. This yr we shouldn’t have to rely so much on the pass and will truly have a running game. If you see in the playoffs we moved his cousin up Ashton Haynes who was on JV all yr, rushed for over 500 yards. So with a yr under his belt and knowing he’s the guy I think he will break some records this yr.

Can’t wait to see the improved Gilmer offense go up against the best defense in 4A this year. 
looking for a great game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Can’t wait to see the improved Gilmer offense go up against the best defense in 4A this year. 
looking for a great game. 

Yea I wanna see how they stack up as well. Last yr a lot of the kids were like a deer in headlights now they want the matchup. 

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Yea I wanna see how they stack up as well. Last yr a lot of the kids were like a deer in headlights now they want the matchup. 

You don’t have deer in the headlights and make it all the way to the state championship. They will be better than they were last year because of experience. 
I want Gilmer to be better because I think the Dawg D is going to give up less points per game than they did last year.