2021 - 2022 SFA Thread

On 1/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, topher805 said:

Tarleton is a pain in the TobinFrost. SFA played like doo doo and still had a chance. 

Looked like world beaters against UTRGV early, only to struggle in the second half...

Big trip to Huntsville Saturday. Fourth game in a week, hope our legs will hold up. Gotta limit Flagg if we want the win

Well I have been a little remiss on getting on here to post

That awesome Hooten Defense Saturday leads the Kats to a thrilling 49-41 victory 

Lol 

1 hour ago, Coach0001 said:

Well I have been a little remiss on getting on here to post

That awesome Hooten Defense Saturday leads the Kats to a thrilling 49-41 victory 

Lol 

I wanted Keller fired. I’ve cooled down but I’m not sold he is the guy to lead this team where we want to be. 

7 hours ago, cotton84 said:

71 -46 was a popular score in the WAC tonight. 

Yes it was. Glad to see those smug jerks lose. GCU and NMSU were both talking a ton of crap about SFA and Sam coming into the WAC, and how we didn’t know what we were getting into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Yes it was. Glad to see those smug jerks lose. GCU and NMSU were both talking a ton of crap about SFA and Sam coming into the WAC, and how we didn’t know what we were getting into. 

Same score beatdowns in East Texas at Coliseums named Johnson lol

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 7.32.43 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, villagegenius said:

SFA is so hard to watch on offense. 

Part of it is injuries. Part is fatigue. Part is poor coaching...

Losing Roti was bad, but that injury keeps lingering because of the drop in confidence from the team. He was a true team leader, and losing that has hurt morale more than anything. Losing Hawkins has magnified problems significantly. Posey has stepped up, but Tezeno hasn't gotten many chances and Coffey has a nice cozy spot on the bench. 

The WAC schedule has been pretty brutal to date and now we have a massive road trip that is going to really push us.

Keller is on my last nerve. No adjustments. I think losing Cox and Mason is bigger than anyone could have realized...

8 hours ago, topher805 said:

Part of it is injuries. Part is fatigue. Part is poor coaching...

Losing Roti was bad, but that injury keeps lingering because of the drop in confidence from the team. He was a true team leader, and losing that has hurt morale more than anything. Losing Hawkins has magnified problems significantly. Posey has stepped up, but Tezeno hasn't gotten many chances and Coffey has a nice cozy spot on the bench. 

The WAC schedule has been pretty brutal to date and now we have a massive road trip that is going to really push us.

Keller is on my last nerve. No adjustments. I think losing Cox and Mason is bigger than anyone could have realized...

I tend to agree with this. Once upon a time you could hang your hat on SFA under Keller playing their tails off for 40 minutes on defense and that helping to create offense, on top of them actually being decent on offense. I don’t see the same intensity on defense, and it’s just very stagnant on the offensive end. Again, hard for me to watch. I do, and will continue to do so, but that doesn’t mean I necessarily enjoy it. 

I know it’s a different style of basketball that Keller wants to play…but where are the offensive threats that SFA had in the Underwood era? Always felt like there were multiple guys on those teams who were knockdown shooters but were too small or not fast enough or whatever excuse big boys wanted to use, along with some studs who could get buckets almost anyway they needed with the same poor adjectives attached to them. Basicallly they had upper level talent, but got pigeonholed because of their size. Now? I feel like it’s just a bunch of guys who fit the high major profile physically but just aren’t as talented. If that makes any sense at all. 

21 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I tend to agree with this. Once upon a time you could hang your hat on SFA under Keller playing their tails off for 40 minutes on defense and that helping to create offense, on top of them actually being decent on offense. I don’t see the same intensity on defense, and it’s just very stagnant on the offensive end. Again, hard for me to watch. I do, and will continue to do so, but that doesn’t mean I necessarily enjoy it. 

I know it’s a different style of basketball that Keller wants to play…but where are the offensive threats that SFA had in the Underwood era? Always felt like there were multiple guys on those teams who were knockdown shooters but were too small or not fast enough or whatever excuse big boys wanted to use, along with some studs who could get buckets almost anyway they needed with the same poor adjectives attached to them. Basicallly they had upper level talent, but got pigeonholed because of their size. Now? I feel like it’s just a bunch of guys who fit the high major profile physically but just aren’t as talented. If that makes any sense at all. 

Jossell is a good shooter and I think Hawkins can knock down shots when healthy. Roti was another good shooter before he went down. Unfortunately, that is the list...David has been unusually bad lately. Posey hasn't developed a consistent shot yet. No clue on how Willis sees the floor at all. Tezeno is still very raw and needs to develop. Part of his development needs to be in-game though because he is so athletic he can be a difference maker on the defensive end. 

I do understand what you mean about the undersized/HM comment. Kingsley, Parker, and Taylor Smith were small but bruisers. Gavin is that same mold. Nana is a HM build but is dealing with a sophomore slump. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Like him or not, the players seem to always play smart and hard on the defensive end for Walter Matthau, I mean Kyle Keller……….winning this year with the injury and without any pure shooters was nice to see. 

I have very mixed feelings on Keller

Well being the WAC did not help SFA or ACU in the post season. Neither got a bid to even the NIT. 

5 other teams outside of New Mexico State won more than 20 games, and even at 23-10, the second place ACU Wildcats couldn't get an invitation ot the NIT. 

So much for leaving the southland conference. Nicholls State--2nd place-21-11 made the NIT, but not a school from the WAC. Have to wonder if it really helped. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Well being the WAC did not help SFA or ACU in the post season. Neither got a bid to even the NIT. 

5 other teams outside of New Mexico State won more than 20 games, and even at 23-10, the second place ACU Wildcats couldn't get an invitation ot the NIT. 

So much for leaving the southland conference. Nicholls State--2nd place-21-11 made the NIT, but not a school from the WAC. Have to wonder if it really helped. 

I'm kind of floored that neither SFA or Seattle got an NIT bid since they were tri-champions. Apparently their NET was too low? I thought SFA had a pretty decent non-conference, but the committee's saw it differently. Nicholls got the NIT invite because they were regular season champions. 

I'm still 100% for leaving the Southland. RPI rankings have the WAC #17 and the Southland #30. 

• Thanks 1