Week One: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (0-0)  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/28/2021 at 06:00 PM

Longview dominated the set plays. Texas High controlled the live portion. Lobos were extremely conservative in the live portion for sure. Tigers not so much. 

Only real plays T High were able to move things on were QB scrambles, and the rare times coverage broke down.

Exactly what we needed going into the Ryan game. 

OL needs work. Secondary was fantastic 95% of the night. We got pressure constantly up front. 

We definitely looked a little gassed in the live portion. Thomas once again showed me he should be the starter. Needs to happen.

1 hour ago, RogerDorn said:

looks like it will end 7-0 Longview in controlled portion with the ones. Td was a big pass. 7-7 with the twos in. 

Was 3-1 in controlled portion with the T High 2s scoring on the last play of the controlled. 

16 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

It’s. A. Scrimmage. 

Yep. If he wants to feel good about it, be my guest. 

Lobos will be more than fine. A secondary all of sophomores played extremely well, OL is biggest weakness right now… which every Lobo fan knew.

49 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Come on now. 1s scored one time in controlled portion. They got inside the 10 after hale had a big catch but didn’t score brown knocked ball out of qb’s hand for a pick.

You are blind as a damn bat…LV scored 3 times…why even say that….wow…

• LOL! 2

22 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview dominated the set plays. Texas High controlled the live portion. Lobos were extremely conservative in the live portion for sure. Tigers not so much. 

Only real plays T High were able to move things on were QB scrambles, and the rare times coverage broke down.

Exactly what we needed going into the Ryan game. 

OL needs work. Secondary was fantastic 95% of the night. We got pressure constantly up front. 

We definitely looked a little gassed in the live portion. Thomas once again showed me he should be the starter. Needs to happen.

Thanks. Was waiting on a good write up/opinion. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Thanks. Was waiting on a good write up/opinion. 

It honestly was exactly the type of night we needed.

Live portion was beyond basic, but like I said we did look gassed a bit. Which, beyond understandable in that heat.

We'll be a pretty good team for sure. We will look night and day from today to November, so no matter what happens this week no reason to panic at all going forward.

I will say that our secondary was the highlight of the night. Can't remember the amount of times we broke up passes or were right there to make the play. A secondary that was basically all sophomores as well. Exciting times.

59 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

It honestly was exactly the type of night we needed.

Live portion was beyond basic, but like I said we did look gassed a bit. Which, beyond understandable in that heat.

We'll be a pretty good team for sure. We will look night and day from today to November, so no matter what happens this week no reason to panic at all going forward.

I will say that our secondary was the highlight of the night. Can't remember the amount of times we broke up passes or were right there to make the play. A secondary that was basically all sophomores as well. Exciting times.

Awesome. Yeah the scrimmages are generally just to get about 12-24 snaps for the first team to get the “bread and butter” plays some work in a live situation. After that it’s really just whatever and getting the 2s some good experience. 

Glad to hear that about the secondary. Love when we have a lockdown defensive backfield ala 2018. Excited to see what this team can do against an athletic team like Ryan, though the game against them won’t make or break our season. 

After reading everything I can possibly read and seeing all the live action I can possibly see, I think this game will be a tall order for Longview to open the season.  My thoughts on what will be the difference in this game.

1. QB rotation - disrupts the ability to get a rhythm set and will most likely not have any rhyme or reason to how it is done.

2. O-line - really think King will have to keep extra blockers on the line/in the backfield to protect the QB most game.  this will limit our offensive scheme/sets and affect the passing game.

3. Ability to respond to 7-9 in the box - ultra talented defense on the other side of the ball with crazy lateral coverage from the LBs

4. Defensive consistency - can our young secondary make enough plays to keep us in the game and within striking distance?

Longview will have to play a near perfect ball game to win this game while we continue to "figure things out."  It will have to be a low scoring game.

LV 21

DR 20

If we have lots of penalties and turnovers, we could get blown out.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kingwolf said:

2. O-line - really think King will have to keep extra blockers on the line/in the backfield to protect the QB most game.  this will limit our offensive scheme/sets and affect the passing game.

I posted on the other board that this team would be most effective in a one back, 11 or 12 personnel set....especially for this matchup.

I know we're Longview and our bread and butter is the I-Form...and we can do that when it comes time for it. But an ace, one back set look allows you to sort of have a more balanced look offensively and we should be in it at least 70% of the time IMO. You'll have enough blockers without taking away from a talented WR group.

The key position here is TE. Vaughn being at TE makes an 11 personnel set very dangerous. He's probably the best blocker on the team (if its not Norman). So now, you get 6 up front for blocking....and you'd still have 3 of those talented WRs on the field for passing purposes (any combination of Hale/Wright/Taylor/Hamilton). Taylor Tatum at RB, who 247 just rated a 4* and the top 2024 RB in TX, would also be both an effective blocker and pass catcher.

You could also do 12 personnel with both TEs Vaughn and Victor Bush on the field. The 11 personnel would be stronger because of the amount of WRs on the field, but the 12 personnel would still be good.

We'll see though.

As for my prediction...I have been pleased with just about all areas of this team. We have the team to beat Ryan. But a QB rotation is a tall order against a team like this. The OL has pleased me but beyond blocking a solid defensive front, itll be interesting to see if penalties have cleaned up from last year. The D is a huge strength but, can they limit the big plays and get off the field on 3rd and 4th down? Longview will need help from special teams to win this one too. DT Taylor and Amarian Hamilton will have to come up huge.

In the end, the QB rotation is the biggest culprit. You just dont win games against teams like this when you cant decide on a QB.

I hope I'm wrong, but Ryan by a score. Regardless, this wont be the last time that these two play one another this season.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 2:05 PM, ANTI said:

I posted on the other board that this team would be most effective in a one back, 11 or 12 personnel set....especially for this matchup.

I know we're Longview and our bread and butter is the I-Form...and we can do that when it comes time for it. But an ace, one back set look allows you to sort of have a more balanced look offensively and we should be in it at least 70% of the time IMO. You'll have enough blockers without taking away from a talented WR group.

The key position here is TE. Vaughn being at TE makes an 11 personnel set very dangerous. He's probably the best blocker on the team (if its not Norman). So now, you get 6 up front for blocking....and you'd still have 3 of those talented WRs on the field for passing purposes (any combination of Hale/Wright/Taylor/Hamilton). Taylor Tatum at RB, who 247 just rated a 4* and the top 2024 RB in TX, would also be both an effective blocker and pass catcher.

You could also do 12 personnel with both TEs Vaughn and Victor Bush on the field. The 11 personnel would be stronger because of the amount of WRs on the field, but the 12 personnel would still be good.

We'll see though.

As for my prediction...I have been pleased with just about all areas of this team. We have the team to beat Ryan. But a QB rotation is a tall order against a team like this. The OL has pleased me but beyond blocking a solid defensive front, itll be interesting to see if penalties have cleaned up from last year. The D is a huge strength but, can they limit the big plays and get off the field on 3rd and 4th down? Longview will need help from special teams to win this one too. DT Taylor and Amarian Hamilton will have to come up huge.

In the end, the QB rotation is the biggest culprit. You just dont win games against teams like this when you cant decide on a QB.

I hope I'm wrong, but Ryan by a score. Regardless, this wont be the last time that these two play one another this season.

I hope we have a few wrinkles but we will see...going to be a good game...