Uil to consider 7a

VonG

Class 7A is just a matter of time but I found this quote interesting...

The UIL will look into the number of schools opting up a division in Class 5A, which has created difficulties in aligning districts. Elza said Class 5A schools have the option to eliminate divisions if they desire.

I wonder how much talk there has been of this? That would be absolutely massive if they eliminated the division aspect of things that isn't even that old.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Class 7A is just a matter of time but I found this quote interesting...

I wonder how much talk there has been of this? That would be absolutely massive if they eliminated the division aspect of things that isn't even that old.

With how hard it was to create 5AD1 districts out West and other factors, I wouldn't be shocked if they eliminated divisions.

And you're right, that would be insane.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

With how hard it was to create 5AD1 districts out West and other factors, I wouldn't be shocked if they eliminated divisions.

And you're right, that would be insane.

I would be absolutely shocked if they eliminated divisions.  I don’t see any way they would go from 12 state champions to 7.  I think if anything, they add 7a and just start adjusting numbers.  I am sure many superintendents and athletic directors will have a cow if they try to take down the number of state champions.

24 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I would be absolutely shocked if they eliminated divisions.  I don’t see any way they would go from 12 state champions to 7.  I think if anything, they add 7a and just start adjusting numbers.  I am sure many superintendents and athletic directors will have a cow if they try to take down the number of state champions.

Eliminating pre split divisions....not divisions in general. Basically going back to the format that you see in current 6A.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Maybe less 7a schools. I believe mav or someone did a mock 7a at one time on here. Heck I bet one of us could come up with an appropriate division than the uil could.

Well 7A, and an even lesser extent 6A, I understand doing away with the pre set divisions. But I don’t get it for 5A and below to be honest. 

I love the pre set divisions. 

It makes absolutely no sense to eliminate the divisions in 5A in order to placate such a small number of schools in West/South Texas.

It would be a death Knell for a lot of programs in the rest of the state.  Especially East Texas.

Telling schools like Sulphur Springs, Jacksonville, and Greenville to just suckitup and live playing schools the size of Longview, Lufkin, HP, and McNorth in football is just insane. 

Preset divisions has seen programs like Nac, Pine Tree, and Greenville continue to flourish from LONG dormancy into annual district contenders.

Eliminating preset districts creates likely annual domination of the largest schools: Longview, Lufkin, Texas High, Tyler.  All of a sudden playoffs become very difficult for the much smaller Marshall’s and Nac’s and Whitehouses.   And practically unattainable for the Jacksonville’s and Hallsville and Sulphur Springs of 5A. 

What a complete nightmare that would create.

Surely some people with some foresight can see the catastrophe awaiting such an unwise decision.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

It makes absolutely no sense to eliminate the divisions in 5A in order to placate such a small number of schools in West/South Texas.

It would be a death Knell for a lot of programs in the rest of the state.  Especially East Texas.

Telling schools like Sulphur Springs, Jacksonville, and Greenville to just suckitup and live playing schools the size of Longview, Lufkin, HP, and McNorth in football is just insane. 

Preset divisions has seen programs like Nac, Pine Tree, and Greenville continue to flourish from LONG dormancy into annual district contenders.

Eliminating preset districts creates likely annual domination of the largest schools: Longview, Lufkin, Texas High, Tyler.  All of a sudden playoffs become very difficult for the much smaller Marshall’s and Nac’s and Whitehouses.   And practically unattainable for the Jacksonville’s and Hallsville and Sulphur Springs of 5A. 

What a complete nightmare that would create.

Surely some people with some foresight can see the catastrophe awaiting such an unwise decision.  

It's really only South Texas that has the issues.....the UIL has said opting up is an issue and they are looking at a few things, but they also said in the press conference there hasn't been a groundswell in 5A to make a change

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

It's really only South Texas that has the issues.....the UIL has said opting up is an issue and they are looking at a few things, but they also said in the press conference there hasn't been a groundswell in 5A to make a change

That’s a relief honestly. 

As Mavchamp said, the dominance that would come from that is just not appealing at all. Wouldn’t make sense imo.

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Agree Odessa /Midland, Lubbock, San Angelo Abilene is pretty much only things out there . Safe Elpaso for itself.

5 minutes ago, VonG said:

Somebody doesn't know South Texas from West Texas. 

Well it IS Lion.........:rofl:

• LOL! 1

The opting up issue is what is starting to hamstring some schools.  I understand inner city districts are wanting to save money, but with the UIL allowing this to happen dozens of smaller schools on the bottom end are getting royally messed over.  This is primarily happening with 5A with schools opting to play 5AD1.  We talk about 4A getting hosed, but look at the discrepancy in numbers from the bottom 6A to top 6A.  That number had to be adjusted to make sure everything was even so FWISD, DISD, HISD, and most likely the San Anotion districts wouldn't have to travel as far.

I don't see them doing away with football having 2 separate divisions because you're killing schools that have FINALLY started doing something (see comments above).

The issue I see with 7A is going to be the fringe areas like deep east Texas, RGV, and west Texas.  Depending on the cut off you could have teams travelling asinine amounts of miles to play football in their district (I could be wrong, but that's what my gut's telling me).

9 hours ago, nationalpastime said:

The issue I see with 7A is going to be the fringe areas like deep east Texas, RGV, and west Texas.  Depending on the cut off you could have teams travelling asinine amounts of miles to play football in their district (I could be wrong, but that's what my gut's telling me).

Well I can guarantee you there's not going to be any East Texas teams in 7A whenever they create it. But your other sentence is the exact reason why it hasn't already been created. The need has been there for a long time. Remember when it was just 5A and below, people were saying there was a need for this. It hasn't changed since then, especially when all they did was rename the classifications instead of addressing it.

• Like 2

If they make a 7A, the question will be -- how many of the 245 in 6A go to 7A, and then how many 5A Division I schools move into 6A to fill in the gaps?

The math is tough when you have 245 in 6A, 251 in 5A and then drop to 188 in 4A

Is 7A going to be the top 123, 6A have 122 and then keep 5A and 4A roughly the same? How much does that setup really benefit anyone?

Are you going to evenly divide 7A, 6A, 5A and 4A into 171 teams in each class -- regardless of the travel concerns that would bring up?

My guess is the new 7A is only going to have eight districts and be the largest 70-75 schools....its not happening until 2024 at the earliest...by that point there will be probably another 20 larger 5A/6A schools added into the mix...heck we are adding 9 or 10 (depending on where Canyon West Plains lands) in 2022 alone

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

My guess is the new 7A is only going to have eight districts and be the largest 70-75 schools....its not happening until 2024 at the earliest...by that point there will be probably another 20 larger 5A/6A schools added into the mix...heck we are adding 9 or 10 (depending on where Canyon West Plains lands) in 2022 alone

This. 

Texas is growing crazy fast right now, but that growth is somewhat limited to a handful of metro-suburban areas. It's hard for us in rural quasi-suburban East Texas to appreciate just how ludicrously fast all those "flight" communities in and around DFW (Frisco, McKinney, etc.), Austin (Round Rock, Leander, Cedar Park, etc.), Houston (Conroe and etc.), San Antonio (New Braunfels and etc.) are blowing up. It hasn't even hit a terminal velocity yet.

We can expect an explosion of big 5A and up high schools in these areas. It's already happening. 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

This. 

Texas is growing crazy fast right now, but that growth is somewhat limited to a handful of metro-suburban areas. It's hard for us in rural quasi-suburban East Texas to appreciate just how ludicrously fast all those "flight" communities in and around DFW (Frisco, McKinney, etc.), Austin (Round Rock, Leander, Cedar Park, etc.), Houston (Conroe and etc.), San Antonio (New Braunfels and etc.) are blowing up. It hasn't even hit a terminal velocity yet.

We can expect an explosion of big 5A and up high schools in these areas. It's already happening. 

In 2022 we are adding these schools to 5A/6A

Richmond Randle 

Lake Belton

San Antonio Davenport

San Antonio Pieper

Frisco Emerson

Katy Jordan

San Antonio Sotomayor

Frisco Panther Creek             

Killeen Chaparral

Canyon West Plains is likely going to start 4A D-1 but they'll be 5A soon

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LOL said:

Yep. No doubt. It's going to continue and continue. No idea where the lines will be, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see all of East Texas stay in 5A and below once all is said and done.

Obviously will depend on the numbers they want for the new 6A once 7A gets the top teams.

• Like 1