OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

So, to go all-in on the wild-eyed speculation...  let's say, by some bizarre development, OU *were* to go to the SEC. And, what the hell, let's say that somehow Okie State piggybacks on the deal: what would this new Big XII/old SEC look like? Where would the conference (UT) brass look to re-bolster and keep the ship afloat? At least for a couple years... 

Would the other big 3 conferences try to swoop in and get them? Stay big dog in LittleBig12?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

There is a world where the Big 12 stills survives as a better version of the American basically.

If I’m the Big 12 I’m already calling Houston/SMU, Memphis, UCF, and Cinci.

I would add all four to get back to twelve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Would the other big 3 conferences try to swoop in and get them? Stay big dog in LittleBig12?

So that's the question...  in the event of an OU departure, would that necessitate a conference collapse, or would UT fight on to create a Snow White situation? 

Just now, Valhalla said:

If I’m the Big 12 I’m already calling Houston/SMU, Memphis, UCF, and Cinci.

I would add all four to get back to twelve.

Yep. Conference leadership sitting on their hands is what's put them in the situation they're in. 

I mean, yeah, rag on the LHN all you want, the Big XII brass could've raised the league profile a long time ago. At least tried. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

If this happens it would be interesting to use the “pod” system instead of the division system. You would play the three other teams in your pod every year and then you could figure out how you want to rotate for the other 6 conferences games.

Pod 1: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas.

Pod 2: LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Alabama

Pod 3: Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

Pod 4: Missouri, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky. 

Pod 4 is most certainly much weaker than the other 3. 

44 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

If this happens it would be interesting to use the “pod” system instead of the division system. You would play the three other teams in your pod every year and then you could figure out how you want to rotate for the other 6 conferences games.

Just saw this on Tweaker: 

Maybe A&M and Arkansas should just quit playing football if this comes true. After all the only thing keeping them from recruiting at mid major levels is the sec patch... 🙄

A&M is top 5 in the country in facilities and has a HC thats a proven elite recruiter in multiple programs. Anybody thinking Texas joins up and just gets whoever they want is fooling themselves. This isn't 2004 A&M thats operating in a budget defecit and has a lame duck HC trying to recruit against a HOF Mack.

Also, I've been told on this site that the sec advantage in recruiting is a myth. Recruits only care about the sec if you're bama and nobody commits to middle of the road aggy just because of conference affiliation. So... 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

My friend Josh, who just moved to Knoxville TN, wants to know if you’re interested in running for POTUS in 2024. 

• LOL! 2

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Yeah but gee whiz, I don't know if I want to be a part of a conference that just throws the ball all over the place and scores a buncha points. 

Give me some of that hardnosed defense-focused footbawl. High-scoring passing offenses are for weenies. 

• LOL! 4

32 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I also don't think this is going to happen. We will see. I can see OU joining and Texas going independent or west. 

I think is just the first step in positioning to leave the Big 12. I’ve been saying for years Oklahoma would not be in the Big 12 after the 2025 season. 

I don’t know if they both end up in the SEC when the dust settles, but I don’t think they will be in the Big 12.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah but gee whiz, I don't know if I want to be a part of a conference that just throws the ball all over the place and scores a buncha points. 

Give me some of that hardnosed defense-focused footbawl. High-scoring passing offenses are for weenies. 

Oh my gosh!!!! Post of the thread!

• LOL! 1

Just now, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Makes no sense for either team. Right now Ou has the easiest path to the playoffs if Texas ever got back so would the horns. This wouldn’t benefit either team because their brands stand alone both have $$ , Tv eyes, and elite recruits.

It’s about $$$.

• Like 1