OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

33 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Tweeted out by a Sooner fan this afternoon:

Horns and Aggies blame each other for their rivalry staying dead to this day, but I gotta say, Texas trying to join the SEC and Aggie panicking about it is... telling.

A&M would be at Texas like a whipped dog right now... Not a single aggie is "panicking" about anything. Most don't think its even going to happen and the ones that do can't wait to see Texas back on the schedule again. 

• LOL! 1

16 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Those two are making $$$ .

Not at the level the SEC teams will be in a couple of years. 

Plus Oklahoma is pretty displeased with FOX. The Bally Sports deal runs out in July 2022 and the athletic department will lose roughly $20 million per year. The SEC pays out about $20 million per year more than Big 12. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

A&M would be at Texas like a whipped dog right now... Not a single aggie is "panicking" about anything. Most don't think its even going to happen and the ones that do can't wait to see Texas back on the schedule again. 

I just don’t believe that. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Your AD doesn’t want any part of it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It has nothing to do with being scared though. It has to do with Texas leadership. Nobody wants to work with them... 

You guys are coming off a great season, but you have won a lot of recruiting battles over Texas the last decade because of that logo on your jersey. If you take that away or give it to Texas too and you become a lot less special.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I just don’t believe that. 

You're entitled to your opinion. Texas already is a top 10 recruiting team as is. They aren't going to just magically be anymore of a threat. And A&M won't just magically no longer have elite facilities or a top recruiting HC. A&M isn't only recruiting well because of a small patch on the shoulder of a jersey.. 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I think is just the first step in positioning to leave the Big 12. I’ve been saying for years Oklahoma would not be in the Big 12 after the 2025 season. 

I don’t know if they both end up in the SEC when the dust settles, but I don’t think they will be in the Big 12.

Maybe they’re jus getting the Big12 brass off their butts to actively court some teams?  I would honestly prefer both stay, but poach a couple teams and beef up the conference

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

You're entitled to your opinion. Texas already is a top 10 recruiting team as is. They aren't going to just magically be anymore of a threat. And A&M won't just magically no longer have elite facilities or a top recruiting HC. A&M isn't only recruiting well because of a small patch on the shoulder of a jersey.. 

That is what started it though. That is what made them different or special even when the results were not different. 

Is that the whole reason now? No, of course not, but it would be silly not to acknowledge that Texas being in the SEC too will cause you to lose a lot more recruiting battles then you have been lately. 

20 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You guys are coming off a great season, but you have won a lot of recruiting battles over Texas the last decade because of that logo on your jersey. If you take that away or give it to Texas too and you become a lot less special.

See my previous post...

A&M isn't recruiting better simply because of the sec. They invested 875 million dollars over the last decade in facility upgrades. They hired an elite recruiter for a HC. They didnt have anywhere near that sort of commitment to football prior to the sec move. This isn't the same program that competed against mack in the 2000s. Not even remotely. 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Maybe they’re jus getting the Big12 brass off their butts to actively court some teams?  I would honestly prefer both stay, but poach a couple teams and beef up the conference

I think Oklahoma is just done with FOX. 

Has there been any sec sources on this? It seems like its the Texas and ou side leaking things at this point. Which points towards leverage. The two wouldn't tip their hand if this move was happening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Has there been any sec sources on this? It seems like its the Texas and ou side leaking things at this point. Which points towards leverage. The two wouldn't tip their hand if this move was happening. 

It was an A&M guy who leaked it to the Houston Chronicle from my understanding.

• Like 2

Just now, Valhalla said:

Yeah, but that’s just the guy who wrote it I think. That’s not necessarily who has the inside info I guess?

Perhaps. I just think the timing of all of this makes zero sense for anyone. I don't know who leaked it if anyone but until I see an official statement from the sec I think this is just leverage for TV. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Perhaps. I just think the timing of all of this makes zero sense for anyone. I don't know who leaked it if anyone but until I see an official statement from the sec I think this is just leverage for TV. 

The timing is the only thing that doesn’t make sense about it though.

Everything else does from a money standpoint on both sides.

• Like 1

Just now, Valhalla said:

The timing is the only thing that doesn’t make sense about it though.

Everything else does from a money standpoint on both sides.

This to me is a whole lot of talk for nothing. With how fast it blew up and how little.detail seems to be surrounding it, it seems like a leaked source in order to get leverage over tv and conferences. Hell even the non involved conferences would be influenced by this and could potentially counter offer things to stabilize their own from falling too far behind the sec money. 

I just think this is smoke for something else at this point. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This to me is a whole lot of talk for nothing. With how fast it blew up and how little.detail seems to be surrounding it, it seems like a leaked source in order to get leverage over tv and conferences. Hell even the non involved conferences would be influenced by this and could potentially counter offer things to stabilize their own from falling too far behind the sec money. 

I just think this is smoke for something else at this point. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the lil ole Pac12 came out with something soon, if they didn't already. I think they have a new commissioner. 

I also just want to go on record saying I hope this goes through. I want Texas on the schedule again. I also think it essentially gives us 4 power conferences which changes the playoff structure. I also think it causes enough of a shift that we see the other conferences react and eventually the whole thing is changed with power conferences and mid majors splitting. 

• Like 2