OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

Conference realignment: Oklahoma and Texas rumors, path to joining the SEC and what it would mean for the Big 12

By The Athletic College Football Staff 31m ago

ACC and SEC media days overlapped on Wednesday. The Big Ten gets its media days started on Thursday.

As it turns out, however, much of the talk during the official start of talking season surrounds a conference that got its media days out of the way last week: the Big 12.

The potential bombshell dropped shortly after 3:30 ET Wednesday, when the Houston Chronicle reported that Oklahoma and Texas had reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.

Almost immediately, denials, non-denials and “I don’t knows” echoed throughout both Birmingham, Ala., and Charlotte, the respective sites of SEC and ACC media days.

Throw this news — however serious it might be — on top of what has already been a groundbreaking summer for college athletics, and suddenly so much of what has been publicly discussed for the future could be thrown into chaos.

A 12-team College Football Playoff, for one, would look significantly different with one of the Power 5 conferences down its two biggest breadwinners. There are other potential implications, too, be it the birth of a superconference in the SEC or a potential leverage play for the ACC — or something else entirely. — Matt Fortuna

Oklahoma and Texas decline to comment on reports of their interest in joining SEC

• Texas: “Speculation swirls around collegiate athletics. We will not address rumors or speculation.”

• Oklahoma:“The college athletics landscape is shifting constantly. We don’t address every anonymous rumor.”

What you should expect from the realignment rollercoaster

If history is any indication, coverage of the potential moves could get pretty wild.

Potential for political roadblocks

As news broke about Oklahoma’s possible desire to move to the SEC, a common misunderstanding resurfaced on social media regarding the Oklahoma state legislature and its role. The Oklahoma state legislature holds no authority regarding the athletics conference of state schools. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are governed independently by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents and the OSU/A&M Board of Regents, respectively.

Chad Alexander is the former Oklahoma Republican Party chairman and lobbied for the University of Oklahoma during the last round of conference realignment talks. He emphasized in a phone interview Wednesday that a lot has changed in the last 10 years. Term limits mean the legislature and boards of regents are filled with new faces. Longtime presidents David Boren (OU) and Burns Hargis (OSU) have both retired, with Hargis’ retirement coming just this month.

During the 2011 realignment talks, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were attached at the hip. Any deal sending the Sooners to the Pac-12 would have included the Cowboys. Much of that was due to Boren, both because of his relationship with Hargis, and because of Boren’s general philosophy that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State should compete in the same conference.

OU President Joseph Harroz Jr. worked many years for Boren, but his philosophy on that subject is unclear.

Oklahoma State’s fiery statement Wednesday after news broke is a sign of just how important it is to remain attached to the Sooners — and also indicates that it might not feel protected in any legal sense should OU decide to make a move.

Still, expect there to be significant political pressure from state lawmakers with ties to Oklahoma State. It’s also worth noting that Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt is an Oklahoma State alumnus, although he hasn’t made any public statements about this situation.

Alexander and other sources told The Athletic that even if the state legislature were to pass a law mandating that OU and OSU remain in the same conference and even if the governor signed it, it probably wouldn’t hold up in court because of the way university governance is arranged in the state. — Jason Kersey

Texas A&M’s on-the-record objection to the potential moves

Texas A&M is the only school so far whose officials have offered any definitive on-the-record opinion about this possibility. Athletic director Ross Bjork made it quite clear Wednesday that Texas A&M wants to be the only SEC school in the Lone Star State. The move to break from the Big 12 also was a move to differentiate the program. Bjork reiterated this to me Wednesday night on the phone just before he and Texas A&M’s contingent took off after spending Wednesday at SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala.

But if you’re the SEC, how do you say no to adding two megabrands to an already stacked catalogue? The league needs 11 schools to vote yes to extend invitations to expand, and it’s unclear who else would be willing to vote no besides Texas A&M. Former Big 12 member Missouri? Former Southwest Conference member Arkansas? Maybe. The timing of the leak of the news seems to be an attempt to slow a very fast train. — Andy Staples

What would need to happen for new schools to be admitted to the SEC?

SEC bylaws being what they are, 11 of the 14 current schools would need to confirm the addition of a new member. Reality being what it is, the conference wouldn’t want expansion to pass by the skin of an 11-3 vote. The league put on a united front under the late, great commissioner Mike Slive and the vibe has continued under Greg Sankey. That’s because the SEC really takes care of its members, offering granite-solid stability and mega earnings.

If Texas A&M, Arkansas and Mizzou vigorously objected to Texas and Oklahoma joining the league, their voices would carry weight. Schools like LSU, Alabama and Florida also stand to face a tougher time recruiting the state of Texas if the Longhorns get to flash the SEC brand. Ultimately, there may be financial incentives too massive to ignore in realignment — and fans of the Razorbacks and Aggies actually might welcome the rebirth of rivalries. Whatever the outcome, Sankey will work to insure a consensus. — G. Allan Taylor

Adding Texas and Oklahoma could solve some of the SEC’s current scheduling issues

If the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma there would be plenty of big issues to address, but one would be easy: The division setup. In fact, it would solve a lot of the conference’s current scheduling dilemmas.

Texas and Oklahoma would join the West, obviously, but Missouri could join them, and along with Arkansas you’d have a mini-Big Eight/Southwest Conference reunion. Then you move Alabama and Auburn to the East, evening up the divisions, as well as solving a scheduling headache: Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia, currently a pair of cross-division annual rivalries, are now regular division games. Voila!

Or the SEC could get even more creative, and go to four divisions or pods, which would allow more scheduling flexibility. Right now the conference, wedded to division-based scheduling, has too many teams who rarely face each other: Georgia has yet to visit Texas A&M, for instance, since the Aggies joined the league in 2012. If each team only has three permanent opponents and then rotates the other five that isn’t a problem anymore. In fact, it’s a much better solution than two eight-team divisions — or the current two seven-team divisions.

It may not be the sole reason to add Texas and Oklahoma, but it’s a nice byproduct. — Seth Emerson

What would adding Texas and Oklahoma mean for SEC recruiting?
At the moment, Texas high school stars only have one in-state option if they wanted to stay home and play in the SEC: Texas A&M.

More SEC options within the region mean the Aggies would lose their Lone Star State edge.

Group of 5 reaction
I asked Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson if the Texas/Oklahoma news and upcoming conference TV deals could lead to another wave of conference realignment.

“Texas, Oklahoma, potentially could be a tipping point,” he said.

Like everyone else, Thompson didn’t know much about the news other than what he heard from associates when the report dropped.

“I’ve had a couple commissioner friends ask for a chance to talk and compare notes. It’s normal business. We’re all reading this stuff like, ‘What the heck, what do you know about this?’” — Chris Vannini

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Valhalla said:

If this happens it would be interesting to use the “pod” system instead of the division system. You would play the three other teams in your pod every year and then you could figure out how you want to rotate for the other 6 conferences games.

Pod 1: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas.

Pod 2: LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Alabama

Pod 3: Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

Pod 4: Missouri, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky. 

Three in your pod. Rotate pods for four more games. Play team that finished in the same spot as you in the other two pods. 

A&M Schedule

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Alabama, Florida (Pod 3 3rd), Vandy (Pod 4 3rd)

Georgia Schedule

Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee, Candy, Kentucky, Texas (Pod 1 2nd), Ole Miss (Pod 2 2nd)

The next year Pod 1 plays Pod 3, with 4 playing 2. The next would be 1v4 and 2v3.

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I just don’t believe that. 

Literally the only people I see complaining about this are Aggies. Which is weird, because I thought they didn't care about UT. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

Has there been any sec sources on this? It seems like its the Texas and ou side leaking things at this point. Which points towards leverage. The two wouldn't tip their hand if this move was happening. 

11 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It was an A&M guy who leaked it to the Houston Chronicle from my understanding.

Oh, for sure. I mean, this is a tactical leak, 100 percent. That's not to say there isn't legit heat to the story, but this has leverage all over it. And sure, if OU/UT and SEC brass already had a deal in principle, it would be far less likely to leak.  

I'm thinking there were some negotiations with TV deal people this offseason that broke down at some point, and a couple OU/UT guys got together and hatched this plan. It's what I'd do if I worked there. 

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

Literally the only people I see complaining about this are Aggies. Which is weird, because I thought they didn't care about UT. 

Both sides of every party is talking out of both sides of their mouth... Just this off season Texas fans were starting threads talking about arkansas joining the big 12. I've been assured by OU and texas fans for years that the sec is overrated and that the 9th conference game the big 12 has is the only way yo determine a real champion. 

The truth is A&M fans have always cared what happens to Texas. They are rivals and thats part of it. The other truth is the big 12 teams have always known the sec was vastly superior but couldn't admit that while trying to save their own conference. Both sides of this have had massive egos and let emotions get in the way of logical thinking far too often. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

I also just want to go on record saying I hope this goes through. I want Texas on the schedule again. I also think it essentially gives us 4 power conferences which changes the playoff structure. I also think it causes enough of a shift that we see the other conferences react and eventually the whole thing is changed with power conferences and mid majors splitting. 

This is my goal as well. I'm less interested in moving to SEC per se, as much as I am interested in blowing up the current stagnant structure. 

I just want to see the world burn.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackwellSooner said:

Conference realignment: Oklahoma and Texas rumors, path to joining the SEC and what it would mean for the Big 12

By The Athletic College Football Staff 31m ago

ACC and SEC media days overlapped on Wednesday. The Big Ten gets its media days started on Thursday.

As it turns out, however, much of the talk during the official start of talking season surrounds a conference that got its media days out of the way last week: the Big 12.

The potential bombshell dropped shortly after 3:30 ET Wednesday, when the Houston Chronicle reported that Oklahoma and Texas had reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.

Almost immediately, denials, non-denials and “I don’t knows” echoed throughout both Birmingham, Ala., and Charlotte, the respective sites of SEC and ACC media days.

Throw this news — however serious it might be — on top of what has already been a groundbreaking summer for college athletics, and suddenly so much of what has been publicly discussed for the future could be thrown into chaos.

A 12-team College Football Playoff, for one, would look significantly different with one of the Power 5 conferences down its two biggest breadwinners. There are other potential implications, too, be it the birth of a superconference in the SEC or a potential leverage play for the ACC — or something else entirely. — Matt Fortuna

Oklahoma and Texas decline to comment on reports of their interest in joining SEC

• Texas: “Speculation swirls around collegiate athletics. We will not address rumors or speculation.”

• Oklahoma:“The college athletics landscape is shifting constantly. We don’t address every anonymous rumor.”

What you should expect from the realignment rollercoaster

If history is any indication, coverage of the potential moves could get pretty wild.

Potential for political roadblocks

As news broke about Oklahoma’s possible desire to move to the SEC, a common misunderstanding resurfaced on social media regarding the Oklahoma state legislature and its role. The Oklahoma state legislature holds no authority regarding the athletics conference of state schools. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are governed independently by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents and the OSU/A&M Board of Regents, respectively.

Chad Alexander is the former Oklahoma Republican Party chairman and lobbied for the University of Oklahoma during the last round of conference realignment talks. He emphasized in a phone interview Wednesday that a lot has changed in the last 10 years. Term limits mean the legislature and boards of regents are filled with new faces. Longtime presidents David Boren (OU) and Burns Hargis (OSU) have both retired, with Hargis’ retirement coming just this month.

During the 2011 realignment talks, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were attached at the hip. Any deal sending the Sooners to the Pac-12 would have included the Cowboys. Much of that was due to Boren, both because of his relationship with Hargis, and because of Boren’s general philosophy that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State should compete in the same conference.

OU President Joseph Harroz Jr. worked many years for Boren, but his philosophy on that subject is unclear.

Oklahoma State’s fiery statement Wednesday after news broke is a sign of just how important it is to remain attached to the Sooners — and also indicates that it might not feel protected in any legal sense should OU decide to make a move.

Still, expect there to be significant political pressure from state lawmakers with ties to Oklahoma State. It’s also worth noting that Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt is an Oklahoma State alumnus, although he hasn’t made any public statements about this situation.

Alexander and other sources told The Athletic that even if the state legislature were to pass a law mandating that OU and OSU remain in the same conference and even if the governor signed it, it probably wouldn’t hold up in court because of the way university governance is arranged in the state. — Jason Kersey

Texas A&M’s on-the-record objection to the potential moves

Texas A&M is the only school so far whose officials have offered any definitive on-the-record opinion about this possibility. Athletic director Ross Bjork made it quite clear Wednesday that Texas A&M wants to be the only SEC school in the Lone Star State. The move to break from the Big 12 also was a move to differentiate the program. Bjork reiterated this to me Wednesday night on the phone just before he and Texas A&M’s contingent took off after spending Wednesday at SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala.

But if you’re the SEC, how do you say no to adding two megabrands to an already stacked catalogue? The league needs 11 schools to vote yes to extend invitations to expand, and it’s unclear who else would be willing to vote no besides Texas A&M. Former Big 12 member Missouri? Former Southwest Conference member Arkansas? Maybe. The timing of the leak of the news seems to be an attempt to slow a very fast train. — Andy Staples

What would need to happen for new schools to be admitted to the SEC?

SEC bylaws being what they are, 11 of the 14 current schools would need to confirm the addition of a new member. Reality being what it is, the conference wouldn’t want expansion to pass by the skin of an 11-3 vote. The league put on a united front under the late, great commissioner Mike Slive and the vibe has continued under Greg Sankey. That’s because the SEC really takes care of its members, offering granite-solid stability and mega earnings.

If Texas A&M, Arkansas and Mizzou vigorously objected to Texas and Oklahoma joining the league, their voices would carry weight. Schools like LSU, Alabama and Florida also stand to face a tougher time recruiting the state of Texas if the Longhorns get to flash the SEC brand. Ultimately, there may be financial incentives too massive to ignore in realignment — and fans of the Razorbacks and Aggies actually might welcome the rebirth of rivalries. Whatever the outcome, Sankey will work to insure a consensus. — G. Allan Taylor

Adding Texas and Oklahoma could solve some of the SEC’s current scheduling issues

If the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma there would be plenty of big issues to address, but one would be easy: The division setup. In fact, it would solve a lot of the conference’s current scheduling dilemmas.

Texas and Oklahoma would join the West, obviously, but Missouri could join them, and along with Arkansas you’d have a mini-Big Eight/Southwest Conference reunion. Then you move Alabama and Auburn to the East, evening up the divisions, as well as solving a scheduling headache: Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia, currently a pair of cross-division annual rivalries, are now regular division games. Voila!

Or the SEC could get even more creative, and go to four divisions or pods, which would allow more scheduling flexibility. Right now the conference, wedded to division-based scheduling, has too many teams who rarely face each other: Georgia has yet to visit Texas A&M, for instance, since the Aggies joined the league in 2012. If each team only has three permanent opponents and then rotates the other five that isn’t a problem anymore. In fact, it’s a much better solution than two eight-team divisions — or the current two seven-team divisions.

It may not be the sole reason to add Texas and Oklahoma, but it’s a nice byproduct. — Seth Emerson

What would adding Texas and Oklahoma mean for SEC recruiting?
At the moment, Texas high school stars only have one in-state option if they wanted to stay home and play in the SEC: Texas A&M.

More SEC options within the region mean the Aggies would lose their Lone Star State edge.

Group of 5 reaction
I asked Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson if the Texas/Oklahoma news and upcoming conference TV deals could lead to another wave of conference realignment.

“Texas, Oklahoma, potentially could be a tipping point,” he said.

Like everyone else, Thompson didn’t know much about the news other than what he heard from associates when the report dropped.

“I’ve had a couple commissioner friends ask for a chance to talk and compare notes. It’s normal business. We’re all reading this stuff like, ‘What the heck, what do you know about this?’” — Chris Vannini

Great post. Pretty much covers a lot of points surrounding this topic. 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Both sides of every party is talking out of both sides of their mouth... Just this off season Texas fans were starting threads talking about arkansas joining the big 12. I've been assured by OU and texas fans for years that the sec is overrated and that the 9th conference game the big 12 has is the only way yo determine a real champion. 

The truth is A&M fans have always cared what happens to Texas. They are rivals and thats part of it. The other truth is the big 12 teams have always known the sec was vastly superior but couldn't admit that while trying to save their own conference. Both sides of this have had massive egos and let emotions get in the way of logical thinking far too often. 

Can't speak for others, but my stance isn't that the SEC is overrrated necessarily. However I do have a problem with also-rans taking credit for a handful of other teams' success. I would laugh my ### off if I saw a KSU fan bragging about OU's Heisman winners. This silly flag-waving for the two or three teams who dominate the entire league. A bizarre conference cuckoldry.  "My wife's boyfriend can beat you up!" 

I don't grant the superiority of the entire league. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida have been remarkably consistent for quite some time. Their success has certainly done wonders for the lesser programs in the SEC. As a result, a bunch of mediocre SEC programs are in much better overall standing than mediocre programs in the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

If this were to happen how likely is it that Colorado and Nebraska try to get back into the Big12-2? 

I would see Nebraska going in with some others from Big 12, BYU, Boise, etc to possibly jump to Big Pac 16 Conference...I think the new D1-A will be the four 16 team conferences...so teams will start jockeying to get in to those 64 spots in this next month. Some top group of 5 and FCS may try to jump, and some lower power 5 may find themselves relegated out. 

Could Houston or UCF find a spot in any of the 4 conferences...

like I said, if a school isn't taking the football serious...this may be a time of relegation to be able to get a chance to win in that second group. I could see there being two different championships in this way and with this format there's 64 top level teams...I.E...the 64 team playoff of sorts from the start.  

10 minutes ago, LOL said:

Can't speak for others, but my stance isn't that the SEC is overrrated necessarily. However I do have a problem with also-rans taking credit for a handful of other teams' success. I would laugh my ### off if I saw a KSU fan bragging about OU's Heisman winners. This silly flag-waving for the two or three teams who dominate the entire league. A bizarre conference cuckoldry.  "My wife's boyfriend can beat you up!" 

I don't grant the superiority of the entire league. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida have been remarkably consistent for quite some time. Their success has certainly done wonders for the lesser programs in the SEC. As a result, a bunch of mediocre SEC programs are in much better overall standing than mediocre programs in the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, etc. 

I get that. But I don't think its near the flag waving you think. Talking about how tough conference opponents are isn't taking credit for their accomplishments. What I've seen is mostly fabulous bases who's team go 8-4 and its like "but we lost to bama Auburn LSU and Georgia who are all top 15 teams this year." Thats not taking credit for someone else its justifying a loss. I see your point I just always see people ragging on sec teams for "taking credit for bama" but its not quite like that..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I get that. But I don't think its near the flag waving you think. Talking about how tough conference opponents are isn't taking credit for their accomplishments. What I've seen is mostly fabulous bases who's team go 8-4 and its like "but we lost to bama Auburn LSU and Georgia who are all top 15 teams this year." Thats not taking credit for someone else its justifying a loss. I see your point I just always see people ragging on sec teams for "taking credit for bama" but its not quite like that..

Sure, and I have no problem with that. 

33 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Also about the timing of this.... Media days this week was no coincidence. 

There was supposed to be an announcement at media days that the sec was exploring taking two teams, who were to go unnamed at this point.  Now it has been leaked.

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

Maybe A&M and Arkansas should just quit playing football if this comes true. After all the only thing keeping them from recruiting at mid major levels is the sec patch... 🙄

A&M is top 5 in the country in facilities and has a HC thats a proven elite recruiter in multiple programs. Anybody thinking Texas joins up and just gets whoever they want is fooling themselves. This isn't 2004 A&M thats operating in a budget defecit and has a lame duck HC trying to recruit against a HOF Mack.

Also, I've been told on this site that the sec advantage in recruiting is a myth. Recruits only care about the sec if you're bama and nobody commits to middle of the road aggy just because of conference affiliation. So... 

now that is naïve, but if you offer kids Texas and Texas A&M heads up with both in the SEC...and yes now both have incredible everything (Aggie has spent and spent since joining the SEC to catch up) and done well and saying "we're in the SEC" has been the edge of late in getting those stud athletes...if in equal conferences, that "SEC value kid" will all of a sudden spin and come to Texas too in equal or more quantities which is what scares the A&M AD. Aggie has definitely benefited from being in the SEC alone greatly...