OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

There’s been a long standing “gentleman’s agreement” in the SEC with regard to expansion. To appease Florida, FSU and Miami were considered off limits, as was Georgia Tech after they left the league in the 60s. That was to keep UGA happy. South Carolina was told the same thing concerning Clemson when the Gamecocks came on board in 1992. I had assumed that A&M was given the same promise when they joined up. If that gentleman’s agreement has been relegated to file 13 as we’re looking at a new round of conference expansion and realignment, things could get really interesting over on the east coast if the SEC is indeed looking at completely taking over the sport. I don’t know that that is what they are trying to do. I personally like the idea of 4 16-team conferences with similar scheduling rules. I would love to see everyone playing a 9 game conference schedule with at least one major OOC game per year. That still leaves room for one cupcake to appease the people who say that the FCS programs can’t survive without the big paycheck they get from being sacrificed on the altar of the power programs. I would be totally ok with going to a 11 game, power conference only schedule, and using the extra TV revenue to prop up the FCS. Just imagine everyone in the SEC playing 10 conference games then playing someone from the ACC, Big10+6, or the PAC12+4. Big games every week. 

Would love to see four 16 team "super conferences", everyone playing 9 conference games...then everyone playing 1 team from each of the other three super conferences each year (they could do that in many ways...based upon previous years standings 1 vs 9, 2 vs 10, 3 vs 11, 4 vs 12, 5 vs 13, 6 vs 14, 7 vs 15, 8 vs 16 or straight up 1 vs 1's or like the NCAA b'ball tourney 1 vs 16, etc). Most years you'll have some unique pairings and if you're working to make your team better then hopefully you aren't playing a #1 or #2 all the time, getting pounded. 

21 hours ago, trashyhound said:

In the big twelve they are infinitely behind in championships. 

Unless we’re gonna count Harvard and Army as football power houses we have to agree that what was done that long ago can’t be counted toward being great today. Most whorn fans love to jump on “what about the overall record?”

In that case the above teams, along with Michigan and the whorns are really good programs! *but we all know better

When is the last time Zero U won the only trophy that matters? My buddies that are OU fans could care less about Big 12 championships, they want to beat Texas every year and beat Bama in the NC. 

An SEC super conference with Texas and OU will create some great matchups but is pretty bad for cfb as a whole imo. College football will become largely irrelevant west of Austin unless USC returns to prominence...and that will be nearly impossible with so much exposure and $$$$$ flowing to the SEC. 

• Like 1

Just now, EnjoyLife said:

An SEC super conference with Texas and OU will create some great matchups but is pretty bad for cfb as a whole imo. College football will become largely irrelevant west of Austin unless USC returns to prominence...and that will be nearly impossible with so much exposure and $$$$$ flowing to the SEC. 

Not all of the top recruits will want to go to college in the Southeast. There will still be plenty of good players who want to play in the Pac.

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Not all of the top recruits will want to go to college in the Southeast. There will still be plenty of good players who want to play in the Pac.

The only reason the PAC is relevant now is because the NIL has allowed Phil Knight/Oregon to stock his team. USC, Oregon, probably UCLA are the takes from that conference if the The Disney League is firmed. Is there enough market for Seattle and the Washington Huskies to join? 

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

When is the last time Zero U won the only trophy that matters? My buddies that are OU fans could care less about Big 12 championships, they want to beat Texas every year and beat Bama in the NC. 

Me too. We accomplish half of those routinely. 
If i was a whorn lover I’d avoid that conference champ conversation as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

college football needs to have USC and Oregon to be good , Ohio st and Michigan are this is a regional sport. The Northeast provides little help .  I don’t understand why that is because they’re passionate in the NFL.  I suppose history plays a part.

Oregon has some great fans but they are still not "the brand" that USC is. Overall the B10 is in pretty good shape with Ohio St, Penn St and Michigan. When Tx and OU leave the Big 12 that conference is dead and gone. Televised B12 games involving Tx or OU average over 3 million viewers...televised B12 games not involving Tx or OU average 900,000...so tv revenue will dry up if the B12 tries to survive with the remaining schools. Bringing in a BYU or Cincinnati will not change that.

9 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Yeah...I expect Tx and Ou to be playing in the sec in 2022. Ou probably goes 9-3 or maybe 10-2...Texas more like 6-6...unless Sark turns out to be better than I expect. One thing is for sure...Texas will not run the show in the sec like they are used to doing in the B12.

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

13FB8EE4-8F74-4C20-AEF1-AE549525FB8D.jpeg

That trophy matters.

• LOL! 1

51 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Cali produces a lot of talent and some of those kids will stay close to home...but as the revenue gap between the SEC and Pac12 widens even more so will the quality of the facilities (not to mention the exposure) and it will be harder and harder to keep the very top players from leaving the west coast.

16 hours ago, topher805 said:

Texas has taken some lumps, but man...The dragging of ESPN is just beginning. Those dudes have been pulling some crazy illuminati stuff behind the scenes

Good. 

pcdC8Br

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

The only reason the PAC is relevant now is because the NIL has allowed Phil Knight/Oregon to stock his team. USC, Oregon, probably UCLA are the takes from that conference if the The Disney League is firmed. Is there enough market for Seattle and the Washington Huskies to join? 

By September the state of California will have football shutdown again.  The west coast teams won’t have many games to play

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Last time the Horns got to the CCG the Big12 refs made sure OU got a spot in the playoffs.  Riley should’ve sent the crew a thank you card.  It was extremely obvious

57 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Oregon has some great fans but they are still not "the brand" that USC is. Overall the B10 is in pretty good shape with Ohio St, Penn St and Michigan. When Tx and OU leave the Big 12 that conference is dead and gone. Televised B12 games involving Tx or OU average over 3 million viewers...televised B12 games not involving Tx or OU average 900,000...so tv revenue will dry up if the B12 tries to survive with the remaining schools. Bringing in a BYU or Cincinnati will not change that.

Yeeeahhh the PAC is a weird case. USC had some stellar teams in the early 00s and..... the 60s/70s. Oregon was never great but played above their pay grade for a few years with Chip Kelly. Outside of that, they really haven't done much over the years. I guess UCLA had a few strong teams in there somewhere. 

BYU would probably try to go West with the PAC if they're smart. They'll have reasonable success and will get the big conference dollars. 

The Big 12 is donezo. They may join some CUSA teams to make another conference, but it won't be a power conference. 

Maaaan, think about the new SEC! And the baseball...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeeeahhh the PAC is a weird case. USC had some stellar teams in the early 00s and..... the 60s/70s. Oregon was never great but played above their pay grade for a few years with Chip Kelly. Outside of that, they really haven't done much over the years. I guess UCLA had a few strong teams in there somewhere. 

BYU would probably try to go West with the PAC if they're smart. They'll have reasonable success and will get the big conference dollars. 

The Big 12 is donezo. They may join some CUSA teams to make another conference, but it won't be a power conference. 

Maaaan, think about the new SEC! And the baseball...

You’re going to have to stop!!!  That’s twice I’ve agreed with you in two days time!

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

By September the state of California will have football shutdown again.  The west coast teams won’t have many games to play

This was going to be my point. The West Coast teams, particularly the California teams, are going to have a hard time progressing when their state is consistently shutting down, or as a recruit you have to provide proof of vaccination or take a covid test just to go to a restaurant.

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

This was going to be my point. The West Coast teams, particularly the California teams, are going to have a hard time progressing when their state is consistently shutting down, or as a recruit you have to provide proof of vaccination or take a covid test just to go to a restaurant.

Lol what was USC's record this year? 4-1? 

Just awful. Oh well. They get what they elect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Oregon is pretty liberal as well, they may shut down too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Lol what was USC's record this year? 4-1? 

Just awful. Oh well. They get what they elect. 

For a second, I forgot the PAC played last year... Lol

Hard to make the playoff or even be considered when you cant even play half of your games. What recruit wants that?

14 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Some place called Shake Shack will not let you enter their store without showing proof of vaccination