OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

18 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I don’t think National Fans feel like Bedlam is a can’t miss rivalry.

I'd much rather watch it than Army vs. Navy, UCLA vs. USC, Oregon vs. Oregon St., and many other rivalries in college football.  I honestly don't see the big whoop about Army vs. Navy unless you served in one of those branches of the military.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Same. Rivalries are fantastic when they're not taken too far.

I'm totally different.  I love when they're intense, and the teams truly hate each other.  The players hit harder and try to make big plays.  Even if it's a blowout things can get heated.  I don't like rivalries where the teams like each other.

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I can honestly say I dont think Ive ever watched a Bedlam game from start to finish.

And I can honestly say I don't think I've ever missed a televised A&M/UT football game...   that's coming from a guy who doesn't root for either program. 

But I enjoy the history and rivalry. It's almost always great viewing, even though I never have any skin in the game.

20 minutes ago, LOL said:

And I can honestly say I don't think I've ever missed a televised A&M/UT football game...   that's coming from a guy who doesn't root for either program. 

But I enjoy the history and rivalry. It's almost always great viewing, even though I never have any skin in the game.

Same… while I have complete and utter disregard for most things Michigan and Ohio St, I will watch it due to its history and rivalry

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Same… while I have complete and utter disregard for most things Michigan and Ohio St, I will watch it due to its history and rivalry

Yep, I agree.  Any rivalry worthy of the name features two teams that hate each other's guts, and play accordingly.  I used to love to watch tOSU & Michigan tee it up back in the Woody and Bo days.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Totally. I may not be able to name a single starter on either team, but I will certainly tune in to catch the action. 

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I'd much rather watch it than Army vs. Navy, UCLA vs. USC, Oregon vs. Oregon St., and many other rivalries in college football.  I honestly don't see the big whoop about Army vs. Navy unless you served in one of those branches of the military.  

Me too

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

So, what’s the point of these hearings? Are these people trying to keep UT from leaving only by force? I hope so, because ridiculing someone or a university is no way to hope they stay around. 
I guess it’s just a great opportunity to take shots at UT.

The one telling Texas they should’ve made the Big12 more relevant was funny.  Why couldn’t Tech, Tcu  and the rest helped make it relevant????  Everything is always Texas’ fault!!!!  It’s hilarious.  12 institutions vote to allow teams to explore their own tier 3 rights, but get all pissy when Texas does and capitalized on it.  Efff them all

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

The one telling Texas they should’ve made the Big12 more relevant was funny.  Why couldn’t Tech, Tcu  and the rest helped make it relevant????  Everything is always Texas’ fault!!!!  It’s hilarious.  12 institutions vote to allow teams to explore their own tier 3 rights, but get all pissy when Texas does and capitalized on it.  Efff them all

Efff them all has ALWAYS been Texas motto.

I've always wondered if Texas already had the LHN all but finalized before the vote on 3rd tier rights vote. It makes sense that they did. They knew having everyone agree to this thinking they could sell their 3rd tier rights to a ppv or something seemed like a good idea to everyone, already knowing they had something much bigger in mind. Then after the vote and it became clear Texas already had this mega deal lined out, the others (including OU who explored an sec move before its state legislature shut it down) got ####. Texas could have "looked out for the health of the conference" and come clean knowing they had this deal in place and leveraged it for a conference network. But they didnt. 

The other schools didnt get #### because Texas capitalized. They got #### because Texas already had a deal in place and chose to convince the others it would be good for them all when really they knew they were giving themselves a massive advantage in exposure and money. 

All in all Texas looks after itself and thats fine. Texas didnt do anything "wrong" by their actions. But its the type of snake in the grass move that literally demolishes century old rivalries (even nebraska was willing to leave OU) and tears apart entire conferences eventually. The sec isn't like that. Bama, Georgia, florida Lsu could easily push around the others into lopsided network deals or unequal revenue shares etc. But they don't. The sec truly works as one and has for some time. Texas has never really been a part of that and won't fair well IMO. They should have taken their LHN money went independent made their own schedules, leveraged for more TV money and called their own shots. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Efff them all has ALWAYS been Texas motto.

I've always wondered if Texas already had the LHN all but finalized before the vote on 3rd tier rights vote. It makes sense that they did. They knew having everyone agree to this thinking they could sell their 3rd tier rights to a ppv or something seemed like a good idea to everyone, already knowing they had something much bigger in mind. Then after the vote and it became clear Texas already had this mega deal lined out, the others (including OU who explored an sec move before its state legislature shut it down) got ####. Texas could have "looked out for the health of the conference" and come clean knowing they had this deal in place and leveraged it for a conference network. But they didnt. 

The other schools didnt get #### because Texas capitalized. They got #### because Texas already had a deal in place and chose to convince the others it would be good for them all when really they knew they were giving themselves a massive advantage in exposure and money. 

All in all Texas looks after itself and thats fine. Texas didnt do anything "wrong" by their actions. But its the type of snake in the grass move that literally demolishes century old rivalries (even nebraska was willing to leave OU) and tears apart entire conferences eventually. The sec isn't like that. Bama, Georgia, florida Lsu could easily push around the others into lopsided network deals or unequal revenue shares etc. But they don't. The sec truly works as one and has for some time. Texas has never really been a part of that and won't fair well IMO. They should have taken their LHN money went independent made their own schedules, leveraged for more TV money and called their own shots. 

You typed a lot of words and you’d be wrong…..again.  The LoneStar network was pitched first.  ATm said no, and killed it for all the other Texas schools.  It was after the LoneStar network was declined did Texas and espn come up with the LHN.  Your conspiracy theory is wrong.

• Roll Eyes 1

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

You typed a lot of words and you’d be wrong…..again.  The LoneStar network was pitched first.  ATm said no, and killed it for all the other Texas schools.  It was after the LoneStar network was declined did Texas and espn come up with the LHN.  Your conspiracy theory is wrong.

You mean the network idea Texas pitched where they unequally shared the revenue with the other Texas schools? I remember the revenue splits being the issue there not the network itself. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

You mean the network idea Texas pitched where they unequally shared the revenue with the other Texas schools? I remember the revenue splits being the issue there not the network itself. 

There is documented proof that Texas wanted to partner with A&M to create a network and A&M refused until it was completed. At that point A&M realized that the network would be a disadvantage to them - remember all the complaints about recruits taking pictures in the studio? A&M wanted back in at that point and Texas refused because all the leg work had been done. Thus the LHN which is only good if you want to watch lower tiered games. I want to see all games so it's good for me. The biggest loser IMO was ESPN because they outkicked their coverage with the amount they paid Texas. 

It doesn't really matter any longer. This women is just upset because she knows the BIG XII, even if it remains, will not bring her university or others the amount of money it was getting without OU and UT. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LOL said:

A&M/UT was always fun to watch because it's like Texas/OU in the way that its almost always guaranteed to be a good game no matter how much better one team is than the other. I remember A&M playing the 2005 team really close, and then the next game Texas won the Big 12 cg against Colorado 70-3. 

Bedlam, at least to me, never had that excitement factor. It's on par with Texas/Texas Tech IMO. In-state rival, but outside of Oklahoma and some of Texas, it's not a huge draw. Mainly because OU wins like 85% percent of the time lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

A&M/UT was always fun to watch because it's like Texas/OU in the way that its almost always guaranteed to be a good game no matter how much better one team is than the other. I remember A&M playing the 2005 team really close, and then the next game Texas won the Big 12 cg against Colorado 70-3. 

Bedlam, at least to me, never had that excitement factor. It's on par with Texas/Texas Tech IMO. In-state rival, but outside of Oklahoma and some of Texas, it's not a huge draw. Mainly because OU wins like 85% percent of the time lol

This is it right here... with OU/UT the rankings are irrelevant. Heck, the talent is irrelevant. How many times has an inferior/lower-ranked OU or UT team beaten a superior/higher-ranked UT or OU squad? It's almost painful how often it's happened. I'm still traumatized from the 2015 game. 

24 minutes ago, LOL said:

This is it right here... with OU/UT the rankings are irrelevant. Heck, the talent is irrelevant. How many times has an inferior/lower-ranked OU or UT team beaten a superior/higher-ranked UT or OU squad? It's almost painful how often it's happened. I'm still traumatized from the 2015 game. 

A 1-4 Texas team beating a 4-0 Oklahoma team (and pretty much dominated the whole game) just about sums up the rivalry. That's why I love it (and hate it sometimes too) 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

Yes, that one.  The one that was pitched right after the vote on tier 3 rights happened.  The one that was pitched before the LHN idea came about.  

4 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

He won’t accept that Texas is responsible for this. Playing for their best interest is exactly what the Aggies did in 2012. It is also laughable that db thinks A&M was supposed to trust them with a “equal network “ . That might be good enough for Baylor/Tcu but not realistic on a team that can stand on their own.

Lol, blaming Texas I see.  Again

i was just showing wet the LHN idea came along after the tier 3 rights vote happened.  

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

There is documented proof that Texas wanted to partner with A&M to create a network and A&M refused until it was completed. At that point A&M realized that the network would be a disadvantage to them - remember all the complaints about recruits taking pictures in the studio? A&M wanted back in at that point and Texas refused because all the leg work had been done. Thus the LHN which is only good if you want to watch lower tiered games. I want to see all games so it's good for me. The biggest loser IMO was ESPN because they outkicked their coverage with the amount they paid Texas. 

It doesn't really matter any longer. This women is just upset because she knows the BIG XII, even if it remains, will not bring her university or others the amount of money it was getting without OU and UT. 

It was going to cover all Texas teams.  It was going to show High School playoffs which everybody was fine with.  Then when the offer was declined, the LHN shouldn’t be allowed to broadcast HS games….  Remember that too?  The Aggies stopped multiple teams from an extra payday and Texas HS football from having another TV opportunity 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

All of the bedlam duscussion got me thinking about something.  Mike Gundy is an outstanding coach and has turned OkSt into a solid program.  I know he’s struggled with OU, but who in the Big12 hasn’t really?!   I never thought Gundy would leave there and he might not, ever.  However being left in a bad conference might leave him with no real chance to prove his worth in postseason.  Is this the time where Gundy finally leaves for a big name program if called?  I know he’s turned down some pretty big names before because of his love for his Alma Mater.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

All of the bedlam duscussion got me thinking about something.  Mike Gundy is an outstanding coach and has turned OkSt into a solid program.  I know he’s struggled with OU, but who in the Big12 hasn’t really?!   I never thought Gundy would leave there and he might not, ever.  However being left in a bad conference might leave him with no real chance to prove his worth in postseason.  Is this the time where Gundy finally leaves for a big name program if called?  I know he’s turned down some pretty big names before because of his love for his Alma Mater.

Gundy's an odd duck, to be sure. No one really knows what the heck he's gonna do...  maybe not even Gundy himself. 

At times he's looked like he's leveraging Okie State to take the next step, but then other times he seems utterly indifferent to the idea of being anywhere but Stillwater. He's just kind of an eccentric country boy, who's both happy to stay and yet looking to the horizon at the same time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

😂 guess we agree to disagree. Reality is a tad different when you’re not wearing burnt orange glasses.

Reality is reality!!!  You just see it through your glasses.  Everything I stated was factual, it just doesn’t fall into the Aggy narrative of blame Texas.