OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

3 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Best options if wanting 16. Come on man their two latest additions were atrocious picks. 

Who says they want 16?

Why would they take on two mouths to feed who will lower their pay out per school. 

This isn’t 2010. Realignment was driven by TV market territory then. It was the height of the cable era. Streaming is the future. If you don’t have a great brand then you are just another mouth to feed for Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan.

Not to mention the academics alone of those schools would make the Big 10 run in the opposite direction.

10 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Super conference everyone doing it lol. The big ten couldn’t care less as long as Ohio st is happy. Ou and Texas is in for a rude awakening if they think they will be the big fish . 

We shall see. I think you’re discounting the potential of both teams as early as the upcoming season.

It’s Alabama

⬇️

LSU Georgia Auburn Florida

A&M

Everybody else

The SEC is a whole lot more like the Big 12 than you SEC guys like to portray, top heavy. The also rans are better teams though, I do agree with that point.

1 minute ago, EnjoyLife said:

I know it is all about the money (like everything else in the US) but overall this would be bad for college football imo. Im afraid that college football is on its way to being largely a regional sport. 

Like Kirk Herbstreit said yesterday, for the traditional college football fan it's sad to see it go this direction, but it's inevitable and we better accept it.

If Texas & Oklahoma leave, the Big 12 will have a rebuilding project. I suspect they would drop to 7 teams. I would suspect West Virginia would look for a new home. Frankly, I think they have been an odd duck in the conference. The key to there survival will be television markets. I would target Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, Florida International, BYU (odd duck, but like ND have built in following), and UTSA. Admittedly Florida International and UTSA are not football powers, but they are in significant media markets and are a financial play. 

2 minutes ago, bordertown said:

If Texas & Oklahoma leave, the Big 12 will have a rebuilding project. I suspect they would drop to 7 teams. I would suspect West Virginia would look for a new home. Frankly, I think they have been an odd duck in the conference. The key to there survival will be television markets. I would target Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, Florida International, BYU (odd duck, but like ND have built in following), and UTSA. Admittedly Florida International and UTSA are not football powers, but they are in significant media markets and are a financial play. 

Jeff Traylor has UTSA trending in the right direction on the field too.

Some Lobo fans love to say small school coaches aren’t good enough even for 5A and 6A, they’re wrong.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bordertown said:

I think the Big 12 would fall apart completely. WV people will be glad to get out, mainly geographic wise. Kansas, Kstate, and ISU would go Big 10 with maybe OSU. I could see Tech going PAC12 and TCU Baylor going American.

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You guys just don’t get it. You don’t understand what is the driving force behind this realignment. 

It’s not about geography, media markets, or football. It’s about money, and how much you can get. 

I am 100% aware and in agreement Texas and OU to the SEC is all about the dollars. That’s why this is happening. It also gives the SEC a jump start on other conferences in moving to Super Conferences and you can’t add two better brands with established real, historical rivalries with other teams already in the conference.

It’ll be the first time UT would be in the same conference as huge rivals, OU, A&M and Arkansas.

What more do you want if you’re the SEC?

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

What are your thoughts on Why the Aggies were kept out of the loop on this matter for 6 months?

I'm going to need more sources confirming that before I actually believe it. But if its true then it doesn't really change much. A&M never was or will be part of the "club" in the sec. Texas and ou won't either for that matter. This, like the last time, is about money. The original sec big boys will do as they please with any of the new additions. 

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

@ETXfan16, I like it too. I never liked WVU being in the Big 12 as it was just completely out of place.

Gets those plains schools like Kansas and Iowa State into the Big 10 and some of the Big 12 schools into the Pac 12.

I 100% agree with Val that geographic location does not affect this realignment, but that setup makes sense for 90% of schools geographically

36 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You guys just don’t get it. You don’t understand what is the driving force behind this realignment. 

It’s not about geography, media markets, or football. It’s about money, and how much you can get. 

I agree it’s about money. The money to the schools is driven by advertising dollars to the networks. Advertising dollars to the networks is driven my viewership. Don’t kid yourself, OU and Texas have three attractions to SEC - name recognition, complete athletic programs, and additional MEDIA MARKETS. OU is the #1 school followed in Oklahoma with a population of 4M and a following in DFW area. While A&M has a strong presence in Texas, their strongest market is Houston. Texas solidifies the DFW, Austin, & San Antonio MSAs with a population of 12M (plus Houston). By comparison Alabama has a population of 5M (2 schools), Georgia 9.7M, Arkansas 3M, Mississippi 3M (schools), etc….  . The value of A&M to the SEC were the media markets they brought to their television contract with resulted in a larger payday. But not everyone in the Texas market turned on the SEC. I am not going to be braggadocio that Texas will bring more viewers than A&M, but I guarantee the other schools believe the pay raise that got from A&M will be matched by Texas’s admission. Both OU & Texas will provide more viewership outside their footprint. Yes media markets are a large part of the equation.

• Like 1