OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Texas cared and Baylor sued. You yourself created threads saying how much of a mistake it was despite being proven wrong.

You get more money to be 8-4 on average.  If that’s how you measure success it must be because you’re starving for real success 

3 hours ago, LOL said:

Gundy's an odd duck, to be sure. No one really knows what the heck he's gonna do...  maybe not even Gundy himself. 

At times he's looked like he's leveraging Okie State to take the next step, but then other times he seems utterly indifferent to the idea of being anywhere but Stillwater. He's just kind of an eccentric country boy, who's both happy to stay and yet looking to the horizon at the same time. 

heard from a reliable source that Gundy is holding out for the Aggies head coach job... 

12 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

heard from a reliable source that Gundy is holding out for the Aggies head coach job... 

He's already got it.  ;) 

EDIT: Sorry y'all...  just an Okie inside joke. 

• LOL! 1

24 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Aggies we’re doing that in the Big 12 not sure what your point it.

My point is you still don’t know what true success is as a program.  You just got more money.  It’s akin to Texas fans bragging about being the #1 revenue team, but your last true success dates all the way back to 2008-2009

• LOL! 1

After reading everything thing on here and trying to get my 60 year old brain to remember the past as best as possible, I have come to the conclusion that no team has really done anything wrong but look after their institutions best interest. Our country is founded on democracy and the free enterprise system. In the The old SWC A&M and Texas were the biggest draw money wise and were looking for more therefore  the Big 12 came along. Two schools looking out for their best interest long term. In the Big 12 yes Texas thought with the money they pull into the conference the deserve some considerations on some things. This is not uncommon in a business relationship. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and A&M said no thank you and left. That was their choice and they had a right to do what they thought was best for them. I still don't see why some think what Texas was doing was so bad. They should be mostly concern with what is best for Texas first then the conference 2nd. I am sure the schools that left the Big 12 were not concern about what would happen to the Big 12 when they decided to leave nor should they. I agree you try to work in good faith but if you don't put your institution first you will be looking for another job in this business. I don't know if I like where all this is going. I stopped watching NFL a way back and it seems college football is getting closer to that every year in some ways. I wish everyone good luck wherever your team ends up. I have always been a Horn fan and my brother has always been a A&M fan. I have a niece attending A&M now to be a Vet. At least when the dust settles we will see some football with fans in the seat and I plan on being one of them.

• Like 5

Let me sum up this thread for you:

Texas fans:  “we are worth more.”  “We won the director’s cup.”  “We own A&M.”

Texas A&M fans: “Texas sucks!”  “I want my own identity!”  “Still hate Texas!”

Ou Fans: 

655F16CE-9DD9-471A-ADE1-A16AAE7C806D.gif

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Let me sum up this thread for you:

Texas fans:  “we are worth more.”  “We won the director’s cup.”  “We own A&M.”

Texas A&M fans: “Texas sucks!”  “I want my own identity!”  “Still hate Texas!”

Ou Fans: 

655F16CE-9DD9-471A-ADE1-A16AAE7C806D.gif

ezgif-6-02db6e45774d.gif

• LOL! 1

48 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I prefer the 8 team division instead of the pod system. I wonder when it comes official. 

Texas

A&m 

Miss 

Ole Miss

Lsu 

Ark 

Mizzou 

Ou

Bama 

Auburn 

Georgia 

Florida

usce

Vandy 

Tenn

kentucky

The LSU vs Florida might be the one people actually miss the other rivalries are protected.

It takes too long to cycle through a home & home with a division format. The pod system allows a team to play a home & home with every other team in the conference every four years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

It takes too long to cycle through a home & home with a division format. The pod system allows a team to play a home & home with every other team in the conference every four years.

But will you have a semifinal in conference play to see who plays in the CCG?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

That's more money for the conference and participating teams. Isn't that what this is all about?

9 minutes ago, Baron said:

That's more money for the conference and participating teams. Isn't that what this is all about?

So you’ll just have to win your pod to get in the semi?  You could lose all the other cross pod games and get in?  Or you will be comparing records against different schedules to determine who gets in the semi?

15 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So you’ll just have to win your pod to get in the semi?  You could lose all the other cross pod games and get in?  Or you will be comparing records against different schedules to determine who gets in the semi?

To your first question...no. Overall conference record wins the pod. As for the bolded text...That's how it was done in the Big 12 when there were two divisions. Each division sent the team with the highest conference record to the CCG even though each team didn't play the same schedule.

46 minutes ago, Baron said:

To your first question...no. Overall conference record wins the pod. As for the bolded text...That's how it was done in the Big 12 when there were two divisions. Each division sent the team with the highest conference record to the CCG even though each team didn't play the same schedule.

So you could beat the 3 teams in your pod and one of them get the nod over you?  That doesn’t make any sense to have pods then.  I say the winners of the pods play the sec tournament.  I’d rather just go 2 divisions then

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

So you could beat the 3 teams in your pod and one of them get the nod over you?  That doesn’t make any sense to have pods then.  I say the winners of the pods play the sec tournament 

So you're saying if you go 3-0 in your pod but go 3-6 in conference, you should be the pod champion? Even all three other teams have winning conference records?

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Why have a pod if winning it means absolutely nothing?

You are being way too narrow minded on this. The Big12 divisions chose their champions by overall conference record. Not division record.

9 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

No, I’m just trying to understand how it’ll work, thus the questions!

Example: Texas beats OU, Mizz, Arky (their pod) but loses every out of pod game 3-6. OU loses 3 pod games but beats Alabama, Auburn, Fla., UGa, A&M and LSU 6-3. Who would you post as pod champion?

Overall conference records determine who the pod champion is.

11 hours ago, Baron said:

I too hope to do away with the divisions. A pod system is the only way to go moving forward that makes sense to me. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Baron said:

Example: Texas beats OU, Mizz, Arky (their pod) but loses every out of pod game 3-6. OU loses 3 pod games but beats Alabama, Auburn, Fla., UGa, A&M and LSU 6-3. Who would you post as pod champion?

Overall conference records determine who the pod champion is.

Yes. 

The pods mean nothing but guaranteed opponents essentially. You still base the pod "winner" off of their overall conference record. 

As for the conference title game you can go two ways. A tournament with the 4 pod winners or you could just take the best two records not in the same pod and use extensive tie breakers to break ties. Example would be Bama OU Georgia and A&M all win their pods. Bama was 12-0, OU and Georgia at 11-1 with A&M at 10-2. Bama is in and OU won a tie breaker with Georgia and is in. It would be nearly impossible in a 16 team 4 pod format to get more than 3 teams tie for 1/2. Too many common opponents for that. So a tie breaker could work. I would prefer the semi format but its not a stretch to see something decided by overall records with only 1 team per pod regardless. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I actually like this idea, but the SEC will also want to avoid their teams playing 13 regular season games while all other conferences play 12… the only way to do a semi-final would be a big ### end of the year neutral site semi-final bash where the 4 semi finalists play each other and the other 12 randomly get paired against each other… 

Problems there would be : (1) quality.  You have no idea who you are playing until 6 days prior and (2) there isn’t a single city in the world that could hold the fans that would show up for 16 SEC schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Yes. 

The pods mean nothing but guaranteed opponents essentially. You still base the pod "winner" off of their overall conference record. 

As for the conference title game you can go two ways. A tournament with the 4 pod winners or you could just take the best two records not in the same pod and use extensive tie breakers to break ties. Example would be Bama OU Georgia and A&M all win their pods. Bama was 12-0, OU and Georgia at 11-1 with A&M at 10-2. Bama is in and OU won a tie breaker with Georgia and is in. It would be nearly impossible in a 16 team 4 pod format to get more than 3 teams tie for 1/2. Too many common opponents for that. So a tie breaker could work. I would prefer the semi format but its not a stretch to see something decided by overall records with only 1 team per pod regardless. 

The biggest argument should be what we are naming the pods.  

• LOL! 1