OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

On 8/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, DB2point0 said:

Sark needs the season to start, and he needs to win games convincingly.  You can’t sell kids on a vision for 10 years. That vision has to finally come to fruition

I agree. His name doesn't have the cachet that will pull recruits in Year One, but if he manages to coach this year's squad up and get a major bowl win, he could turn things around PDQ. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, DB2point0 said:

We need to stop!!!!  You and I have agreed 3 times in a row!!!  Lol

If y'all don't cut this crap out we're gonna have to separate you!  :woot:

EDIT: (reads more recent posts) Ahhhh, that's more like it. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I'm of the mind that "modern" college football didn't begin until the post-war era. Before then college football was (for 9/10s of the country) little more than intramural. 

But yeah, I'd agree with a line of demarcation before and after integration. The game only became truly great once everyone was allowed to play. 

Texas integrated its football team in 1970. Since then the series record with A&M is 23-19 in favor of Texas. 

I totally agree with overall numbers as it does appear as "cherry picking" but I do tend to agree that modern football is at the point when every team allowed black players to play which the last school I know of was LSU in 1972 I believe. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Texas integrated its football team in 1970. Since then the series record with A&M is 23-19 in favor of Texas. 

I totally agree with overall numbers as it does appear as "cherry picking" but I do tend to agree that modern football is at the point when every team allowed black players to play which the last school I know of was LSU in 1972 I believe. 

Here's the question I have when it comes to this, especially when terms like 'cherry picking' get thrown around...

When it comes to looking at records, counting records (or however else we want to phrase it), why do we only do so with head to head records when it comes to making the integration argument? Why not do so with National Championships too? Or Heisman winners? Why not just go ahead and only include any statistic or record AFTER each school was integrated, since everything before it 'doesn't count' anyway? 

If we're only going to continue to make this argument as it pertains to head to head records, isn't that the very definition of cherry picking?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Here's the question I have when it comes to this, especially when terms like 'cherry picking' get thrown around...

When it comes to looking at records, counting records (or however else we want to phrase it), why do we only do so with head to head records when it comes to making the integration argument? Why not do so with National Championships too? Or Heisman winners? Why not just go ahead and only include any statistic or record AFTER each school was integrated, since everything before it 'doesn't count' anyway? 

If we're only going to continue to make this argument as it pertains to head to head records, isn't that the very definition of cherry picking?

Im with you 100%. I was just saying in reference to that all time head to head argument thats always the initial marker. Nobody is ever going to argue A&M is a better football program than Texas historically. 

What most Aggies will argue though is does it really matter what historical metric is used. Nebraska is historically a top 5 program. Doesn't mean Nebraska is going to ever get back there... Most Aggies will say that Texas is not guaranteed to "get back" simply because of the name on the front of the jersey. Its going to be a war from here on out I think. 

• Like 2

Just for fun though I did run those numbers just out of curiosity... 

Texas 420-190-3 with 11 conference and 2 national titles and 23 H2H wins since integration in 1970. 

A&M 386-223-3 with 8 conference titles and 0 national titles and 19 H2H since 1970. 

Like I said above. Nobody regardless of data used is ever going to say A&M is a better program historically. Like I said I wouldn't trade current positions with Texas for anything. I don't think it impacts the future near as much as people think. I like A&Ms projection just as much as Texas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Just for fun though I did run those numbers just out of curiosity... 

Texas 420-190-3 with 11 conference and 2 national titles and 23 H2H wins since integration in 1970. 

A&M 386-223-3 with 8 conference titles and 0 national titles and 19 H2H since 1970. 

Like I said above. Nobody regardless of data used is ever going to say A&M is a better program historically. Like I said I wouldn't trade current positions with Texas for anything. I don't think it impacts the future near as much as people think. I like A&Ms projection just as much as Texas. 

It's interesting seeing the records. Thanks for pulling those. I'd be interested in where that puts each program among all others during that same time frame.

And just in case it may have come across this way, I wasn't directing my comment specifically to you, just happened to reply to your comment, lol. It was more of a general statement. I hear people 'cherry pick' for argument sake when it comes to NFL as well, so I just wanted to throw out the thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

It's interesting seeing the records. Thanks for pulling those. I'd be interested in where that puts each program among all others during that same time frame.

And just in case it may have come across this way, I wasn't directing my comment specifically to you, just happened to reply to your comment, lol. It was more of a general statement. I hear people 'cherry pick' for argument sake when it comes to NFL as well, so I just wanted to throw out the thought. 

No worries. I didnt take it as a personal shot. I agree with your take. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Okay deal. 

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

The land sharks one... I think 😂

That...   doesn't help...  I'm not up-to-speed on S-E-C lore and protocols. 

Is it the Mississippi team with the offensive mascot or the one with the offensive coach? 

• LOL! 2

1 minute ago, LOL said:

Is it the Mississippi team with the offensive mascot or the one with the offensive coach? 

hahaha I've always liked the mad scientist, even in his TTU days. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

The only one who wears red and blue (powder blue hats sometimes) and has Kiffin on the sidelines. 

Interesting...   why are they so hated? I can't remember the last time they were nationally relevant, even when they had the Manning boy. 

Just now, LOL said:

Interesting...   why are they so hated? I can't remember the last time they were nationally relevant, even when they had the Manning boy. 

The Mannings are super unlikeable outside of Peyton. 

The school itself is big on Greek life. And NOBODY likes Frat Boys/Sorostitutes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The school itself is big on Greek life. And NOBODY likes Frat Boys/Sorostitutes. 

Strange things afoot at the Circle K...

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Ain’t both of those Lane Kiffin?

• LOL! 2

59 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

@LOL

26B32D15-D373-4EE8-B887-D4A6469D4F1D.jpeg

932864BF-2394-48DA-B657-1A1111AEA5E3.jpeg

Just look at these canoes. You just wanna punch their faces and kick their butts on the football field.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1