UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State

Eagleborn

Personally I hate it. I think these kids (the RB decided he was going to play this year btw) are pushing or being pushed to grow up faster than is necessary. Most people will agree that you can’t predict the future and for every kid that makes this move successfully there will be many that do not. As adults we begin to realize how important it is to “live for today”. I’m not saying you shouldn’t make plans for the future but you absolutely need to enjoy the moment. Our obsession with fame and fortune is creating a generation of people who live in a fairytale world. When reality hits they are unable to cope so they either blame society or give up. Athletics after HS is NOT a sport it’s a business. NIL or not you are commodity in a multi billion industry that’s only concern is the financial bottom line. Be a kid, enjoy it, create memories. You have the rest of your life to deal with the BS of adulthood. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Solid point. But I believe he has a “trainer” that he’ll be working with and not actually on campus with his team. Apparently there is zero difference between the two. 

They both quit on their teammates, coaches, and communities. There is really no difference to that part of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

@Eaglebornlets see if you call the fite kid selfish for not playing basketball this coming up season to peruse his football dreams.

Skipping a sport that he’s not gonna play in college to get ready for the sport he’s gonna play college. 

Is no where near enrolling early to make money or skipping sr year of football to train for football  

I get some people like to reach but man you on a roll with it  

4 minutes ago, 4to3 said:

Definite new trend….”Ewers could then sign NIL deals worth nearly seven figures, which aren’t allowed in Texas for high school players.”

TXHS sports forever about to change. 

Between this and select baseball we continue to ruin our youth lol.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

They both quit on their teammates, coaches, and communities. There is really no difference to that part of it.

I agree 100% …… I’m a raciest though because I didn’t call the white one selfish. 

• LOL! 1

52 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

But not if your dream was to play at the next level and you wanted to ensure that ur healthy enough football wise to play.

As I said before, I don’t have a dog in the fight. I can see both sides of the aisle.

One kid opted to sit out I guess for health reasons you are saying? If your body can’t handle one more year of high school football, I’d think it’s really not going to hold up well at the college or pro level. 

More or less I was saying that if I had an option to skip a year of football and become a millionaire, that seems like an easy choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If he can enroll in Ohio State and take classes, along with work with the strength/conditioning coaches, I don’t blame him.   
That being said, he is not a normal recruit talent wise and endorsement wise. 

I'm all for taking advantage of getting money. 🤑

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

As I said before, I don’t have a dog in the fight. I can see both sides of the aisle.

One kid opted to sit out I guess for health reasons you are saying? If your body can’t handle one more year of high school football, I’d think it’s really not going to hold up well at the college or pro level. 

More or less I was saying that if I had an option to skip a year of football and become a millionaire, that seems like an easy choice. 

I’m not saying anything other than they both are making decisions that they think are best for them. One does it because he felt like he needed to prepare hisself for the next level gets called selfish and the other does it for money and folks can understand. At the end of the day aren’t they both leaving their teams. 

4 hours ago, LOL said:

Yep. That's my position. I don't think this kid is accomplishing Jack-doodley-squat. That goes for any other who does this. 

That clear enough for ya, chief? 

I mean if the 18 year old can bank in over $100,000 early on and build that into something successful (football or otherwise), I think he would've made the right decision for himself.

Welcome to 2021 America. Is what it is now a days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If he can enroll in Ohio State and take classes, along with work with the strength/conditioning coaches, I don’t blame him.   
That being said, he is not a normal recruit talent wise and endorsement wise. 

BS...sad to where sports is going

This is sad for high school football.  The first guy from Houston broke the dam now the flood is coming.  I do understand why they are doing this but don’t agree with it.  SLC chances at state just went down.  I would love to see them or the Houston school win it all without those guys.

It is easy to call these players selfish, and it's not entirely wrong, but it's also not that simple. Most of us (and I'd say nearly ALL of us) have no idea what these kids' lives are like. We have no idea who they've got in their ears, and what they're being told. You also have no idea what they have going on their lives, the needs they have, the needs their families have, and the pressure these young men MIGHT be under to pull those families up out of that situation. Meanwhile, culturally, it's plain as day that we live in a world that is increasingly about the haves and the have nots, and if you're a have not, there's not much you can do about it. Ever. You can work hard, really hard, and eek out a "comfortable," life, but you aren't ever going to be a "Have." You can argue that all you want, but the state of American "capitalism" has the deck stacked so high against those without that you're not going to make it to the "haves" without a metaphorical (or literal) body count. You can list out contrary examples of this and I'll tell you those are all outliers, and they are, and they're the same ones the billionaires and mega-billionaires throw out too just to keep the little man greasing the cog of the complex machine that continues to support the 1%. Along with that, our culture places a massive emphasis on "making it." Some of you mentioned the fame and fortune aspect, which has always been around, but it's heightened nowadays by the pervasive, all-too-often toxic presence of social media and elsewhere. So you've got these kids who look like a golden ticket to a seat at the big-kids table, and you've also got a whole lotta sharks who see that and want a slice of the pie, and what do you think those people -- the ones who stand to benefit from these kids success -- are telling these kids? I guarantee you it's not, "just be a kid," or "just have fun," or "enjoy your senior year," or "live in the moment," or "think about the team," or "cross that bridge when you get there." Hell no. It's for sure along the lines of "You gotta do you," "You gotta look out for yourself," "It's an investment in YOUR future," "Now's the time," "This is your chance to succeed," "That's a lot of money," "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," "You've got a long career ahead of you, so protect it." And there is some truth to all those things, but when they're departing a deceitful, greedy, manipulating tongue, they lose that truth.

The fact that any of you would judge these kids, criticize these kids, and WORSE that you would literally wish for their failure is atrocious. They're kids, man. They're FREAKING KIDS. And you all were kids once too. And this world is different than the one you grew up in, and the way you did things may not work for these kids these days. And if any of you ANY OF YOU had been presented with the chance to make millions of dollars when you were 17 or 18, you'd have jumped on that chance, and if you say otherwise, you're lying through your teeth. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the adults in these kids lives that are advising them to grow up sooner than they should, who are going to be the reason some of these kids end up in therapy when they realize they lost a pivotal point of their childhood and don't know how to process or cope with actual problems without resorting to childlike behavior. Criticize the system that's enabling this. Take a good look at yourself and at your closely-held belief systems and see if maybe that's contributing to this broken system. I know I've looked in the mirror and found a lot of selfishness and judgemental attitudes and beliefs in myself that I've had to deal with.

The whole thing is sad. It's sad that these kids feel like they HAVE to choose this kind of thing. It's sad they're being forced into these choices. It's really, really sad they can't just be kids and just keep playing kids games with their friends and having a hell of a lot of fun, racking up memories and stories to tell years later. Because one day they're going to wake up and it's all going to be gone anyway, and then what? Apart from those who have had really traumatic childhood experiences and tough upbringings, nobody ever looked back and regretted being a kid. I wish we had a system that allowed guys like this to continue to be just that, a kid.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

It is easy to call these players selfish, and it's not entirely wrong, but it's also not that simple. Most of us (and I'd say nearly ALL of us) have no idea what these kids' lives are like. We have no idea who they've got in their ears, and what they're being told. You also have no idea what they have going on their lives, the needs they have, the needs their families have, and the pressure these young men MIGHT be under to pull those families up out of that situation. Meanwhile, culturally, it's plain as day that we live in a world that is increasingly about the haves and the have nots, and if you're a have not, there's not much you can do about it. Ever. You can work hard, really hard, and eek out a "comfortable," life, but you aren't ever going to be a "Have." You can argue that all you want, but the state of American "capitalism" has the deck stacked so high against those without that you're not going to make it to the "haves" without a metaphorical (or literal) body count. You can list out contrary examples of this and I'll tell you those are all outliers, and they are, and they're the same ones the billionaires and mega-billionaires throw out too just to keep the little man greasing the cog of the complex machine that continues to support the 1%. Along with that, our culture places a massive emphasis on "making it." Some of you mentioned the fame and fortune aspect, which has always been around, but it's heightened nowadays by the pervasive, all-too-often toxic presence of social media and elsewhere. So you've got these kids who look like a golden ticket to a seat at the big-kids table, and you've also got a whole lotta sharks who see that and want a slice of the pie, and what do you think those people -- the ones who stand to benefit from these kids success -- are telling these kids? I guarantee you it's not, "just be a kid," or "just have fun," or "enjoy your senior year," or "live in the moment," or "think about the team," or "cross that bridge when you get there." Hell no. It's for sure along the lines of "You gotta do you," "You gotta look out for yourself," "It's an investment in YOUR future," "Now's the time," "This is your chance to succeed," "That's a lot of money," "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," "You've got a long career ahead of you, so protect it." And there is some truth to all those things, but when they're departing a deceitful, greedy, manipulating tongue, they lose that truth.

The fact that any of you would judge these kids, criticize these kids, and WORSE that you would literally wish for their failure is atrocious. They're kids, man. They're FREAKING KIDS. And you all were kids once too. And this world is different than the one you grew up in, and the way you did things may not work for these kids these days. And if any of you ANY OF YOU had been presented with the chance to make millions of dollars when you were 17 or 18, you'd have jumped on that chance, and if you say otherwise, you're lying through your teeth. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the adults in these kids lives that are advising them to grow up sooner than they should, who are going to be the reason some of these kids end up in therapy when they realize they lost a pivotal point of their childhood and don't know how to process or cope with actual problems without resorting to childlike behavior. Criticize the system that's enabling this. Take a good look at yourself and at your closely-held belief systems and see if maybe that's contributing to this broken system. I know I've looked in the mirror and found a lot of selfishness and judgemental attitudes and beliefs in myself that I've had to deal with.

The whole thing is sad. It's sad that these kids feel like they HAVE to choose this kind of thing. It's sad they're being forced into these choices. It's really, really sad they can't just be kids and just keep playing kids games with their friends and having a hell of a lot of fun, racking up memories and stories to tell years later. Because one day they're going to wake up and it's all going to be gone anyway, and then what? Apart from those who have had really traumatic childhood experiences and tough upbringings, nobody ever looked back and regretted being a kid. I wish we had a system that allowed guys like this to continue to be just that, a kid.

Fantastic post.

15 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I mean, hey we live in a world of marshmallow cream athletes now. Just look at this last year...the top women's tennis player Naomi Osaka pulls out of a grand slam (biggest of the big tournaments) because of mental stress "talking" to reporters, etc then skips the next two grand slams. Now, Simone Biles (the most famous and celebrated gymnast ever) screws over the US team at the Olympics and then also pulls out of the individuals because of mental stress (really when it seemed she didn't have a perfect event, and probably would have had to answer a ? or two about it, blah). NBA players are talking about the stresses and mental strains and pull out. High profile sports is tough...it goes with being successful. It's a major part of winning...dealing with the difficulty of the mental game and loneliness of handling it and staying "on top". It wears me out seeing and hearing the non-sense...  

5 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

you definitely make some good points about these kids have sick individuals in their ear that don't have their best interest a lot of the time...and many times this is the opportunity that many need and are looking for...correct had we been back there in that situation and the check was coming in, I would have been hard pressed not to take it - would have wanted the freedom and I thought I was a "big dog" anyway...that was the problem that the Lord had to correct with some true humbling events.

12 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean if the 18 year old can bank in over $100,000 early on and build that into something successful (football or otherwise), I think he would've made the right decision for himself.

Welcome to 2021 America. Is what it is now a days.

I can dig that...

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State