UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State

Eagleborn

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Doubtful he would start since they have three 5 star QBs on roster now. First time since Texas I believe in early 2000s. 

He left early for the money... Kid from Houston or wherever isn't playing to train. 

What money?

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

How in the wide world of sports can you just "elect" to graduate from high school early?   Hell, if I'd have known that was an option, i would have elected to graduate early too .... :woot:

Im all for him doing whatever he wants to do but one of the comments he made struck me. "Over the past few weeks, following Texas' UIL informing me i would be prohibited from profiting off my own name, image and likeness..." Definitely about the money in my opinion after seeing that comment

All I can say is, and this doesn't go for everyone because I do understand that everyone is different, but the LAST thing I needed at 17 years old was a 7 figure endorsement deal of any kind! I think being broke and limited really kept me in check most of my high school tenure 😂. It's crazy how much things change in a decade. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

All I can say is, and this doesn't go for everyone because I do understand that everyone is different, but the LAST thing I needed at 17 years old was a 7 figure endorsement deal of any kind! I think being broke and limited really kept me in check most of my high school tenure 😂. It's crazy how much things change in a decade. 

It’s the FIRST thing I needed! My mom and dad wouldn’t have let me act a fool and I’d have been set for life, especially with one or two good investments using that money, shoot!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It’s the FIRST thing I needed! My mom and dad wouldn’t have let me act a fool and I’d have been set for life, especially with one or two good investments using that money, shoot!

Making sound investments at 17 years old? Like I said, in the hands of the right individual, maybe, but at 17/18 ehhh. It will take a lot of discipline, self-discipline at that, to keep that money from growing legs lol.

I don't know how having an opportunity and quitting on your team is the same now. People get to graduate HS early all the time and if an athlete played more sports than just football and the player graduates early how come nobody talks about them quitting on the other sports teammates? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhoamI97539 said:

I don't know how having an opportunity and quitting on your team is the same now. People get to graduate HS early all the time and if an athlete played more sports than just football and the player graduates early how come nobody talks about them quitting on the other sports teammates? 

Goes for adults also………A guy working in a small company(15 employees) where everyone gets along with everyone and he is a mentor to 5 of the newer employees…..he is making $75,000 a year………he gets offered $125,000 doing the same work 100 yards down the road……..not many blame him for leaving his close work family and taking the $125,000. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Because I don’t agree with something doesn’t mean I’m bothered by it. At the end of the day no one’s opinion matters. 

Come on Eagle...you knew what I meant. All I was saying is that I understood your position on this matter.   No need for the semantics here.  

2 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Come on Eagle...you knew what I meant. All I was saying is that I understood your position on this matter.   No need for the semantics here.  

No need for semantics on a message board? Nah. Lol

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Making sound investments at 17 years old? Like I said, in the hands of the right individual, maybe, but at 17/18 ehhh. It will take a lot of discipline, self-discipline at that, to keep that money from growing legs lol.

I easily could’ve fully capitalized at 17/18. At 13 years  old I had envelopes full of cash from mowing yards and working. Mom asked me where all my money was, I showed it to her and she made me put it in the bank, several thousand. 
That’s why I am of the opinion Ewers is doing the right thing. The opportunity he has is extremely rare.

• Like 1

I was listening to sportstalk radio last night and they were talking about this situation.  The funny think is that Ewers age came up.  Ewers will be turning 19 at some point in his senior yr. I think its in March.  I was 17 during my entire senior yr and there were kids that were 18.  In order to be 19 as a senior, you most likely failed or was held back...for whatever reasons.  The guys were bascially saying is that he probably should be a freshman in college anyway, so leaving early is no big deal.

I thought that was pretty interesting conversation. Not saying this was the case here, but you hear alot about kids being held back for athletic reasons, because its a big difference between a 18/19 yr old kid vs a 17/18 yr old kid.   I bet if you go check the age of many of the top high school prospects, you will see that alot of them will be 18/19 yr old seniors. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I was listening to sportstalk radio last night and they were talking about this situation.  The funny think is that Ewers age came up.  Ewers will be turning 19 at some point in his senior yr. I think its in March.  I was 17 during my entire senior yr and there were kids that were 18.  In order to be 19 as a senior, you most likely failed or was held back...for whatever reasons.  The guys were bascially saying is that he probably should be a freshman in college anyway, so leaving early is no big deal.

I thought that was pretty interesting conversation. Not saying this was the case here, but you hear alot about kids being held back for athletic reasons, because its a big difference between a 18/19 yr old kid vs a 17/18 yr old kid.   I bet if you go check the age of many of the top high school prospects, you will see that alot of them will be 18/19 yr old seniors. 

That's pretty common tbh.

Beneficial for development and recruiting. 

37 minutes ago, ANTI said:

That's pretty common tbh.

Beneficial for development and recruiting. 

Yea, its common.  But is it beneficial for development or just a ploy to get an edge on the competition?  This is how schools like Evangel and West Monroe became powerhouses. 

I do agree, it does help you to get recruited, so I don't blame the parents. I remember a story about former NBA player Shabazz Muhammad. His parents lied about his age and he had 2 yrs up on his competition during his high school and AAU days. Help make him the number 1 recruit 

20 hours ago, ANTI said:

That's exactly why I say he'll leave early. lol

That hair is gonna net him millions.

That last yr of HS development is so important, cutting a yr off of not playing football and picking up in college ain't gone be easy as they may think, they probably won't developed til their 3rd yr and that's with getting playing time.

• Like 1