UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State

Eagleborn

Ewers said he made the move to advance HIS college career and to make money.  He has moved on from Southlake, his teammates and high school days to Columbus, Ohio.  More power to him, and I'm sure Southlake has a QB waiting in the wings or something will transpire to find a replacement.   The NCAA has created an open ended can of worms with NIL.  Money is now the root, my bet is 50% of those who leave HS early will find their football success more difficult than they imagine.  Texas High School football will have to deal with it in some way.  While other players will do this too, for the most part it will only be the 5 Star guys who can graduate early in order to move on.  No panic on my part, just gives the next guy a chance to get playing time. That never changes.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

The NCAA didn't want NIL, but their greed and actions over the past few decades resulted in the courts ruling for NIL.  If the NCAA had remained in amateur athletics like originally intended, this wouldn't have happen.  This going to force the hands of high schools athletic associations to give in to NIL or more kids are going to be skipping their senior yrs. 

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

The NCAA didn't want NIL, but their greed and actions over the past few decades resulted in the courts ruling for NIL.  If the NCAA had remained in amateur athletics like originally intended, this wouldn't have happen.  This going to force the hands of high schools athletic associations to give in to NIL or more kids are going to be skipping their senior yrs. 

To me, this benefits teams that are successful every year but arent necessarily full of 5/high 4* recruited players.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stoney said:

CA6EB2E0-4E4A-4376-B3D8-F085FFBEBC1F.png

Wow, okay...  so the plot thickens. 

Two big takeaways:
          1.) If this info is legit, it appears that UT was not on board with this decision. Which means either a.) they didn't know (and his family pursued this decision anyway), or b.) they knew and disagreed (and his family pursued this decision anyway). Frankly, I'm not sure which alternative is worse.

2.) His team/community was not on board with it either. Which, again, follows the above pattern. 

So, yeah, it's pretty much almost diametrically opposite to the Ewers/Southlake situation...  IF the message board post is true.  

Very interesting. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LOL said:

Wow, okay...  so the plot thickens. 

Two big takeaways:
          1.) If this info is legit, it appears that UT was not on board with this decision. Which means either a.) they didn't know (and his family pursued this decision anyway), or b.) they knew and disagreed (and his family pursued this decision anyway). Frankly, I'm not sure which alternative is worse.

2.) His team/community was not on board with it either. Which, again, follows the above pattern. 

So, yeah, it's pretty much almost diametrically opposite to the Ewers/Southlake situation...  IF the message board post is true.  

Very interesting. 

The old term here is, there were too many bridges burned to come back.  If your teammates vote you out that says a bunch.

• Like 2