Week 1: Marshall (0-0) Vs. New Caney (0-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. New Caney  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• New Caney in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • New Caney in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Marshall will open the season with a long road trip down to the Houston area to take on the New Caney Eagles.  

Both teams will enter the season with a good number of starters...but also with some holes to fill.

The Mavericks won a barnburner 34-26 last season at home.

The Eagle offense returns 3 starters from last year.  RB Kedrick Reescano will be the key to their success as he rushed for nearly 1200 yards.  They will have a new QB, Cornelius Banks, who transferred from Manvel.  Banks did not start on varsity last season, but he's 6'3" and 190 lbs.  He could be a beast.  

Defensively they have five starters coming back.  They lost some D-1 talent last season, but defense is expected to carry the team until the offense comes around.  

The Eagles were (6-5) last season and lost in the first round to Highland Park.

----

Last season was very disappointing for the Mavs (5-5) as their 25 game district winning streak that dated back to 2016 ended, but also their playoff streak of 7 years was halted as well.

Like New Caney, the defense will likely be the strength of the team...at least early on.  Marshall returns 6 starters from last season.... a defense that actually played well most of the season in spite of the impossible situations the offense often landed them in.  A couple of transfers with varsity experience could also add some depth to the roster.  

Offensively, like New Caney, will be a work in progress for Marshall.  The Mavs need a new QB.  Sophomore Collier Stone seems to be the early favorite.  He lead the Maverick Freshman team to a (7-3) record last season.  Senrior Michael Olvera is also in the QB race.  He played in several games last season before breaking his hand in the Jacksonville game.   Slone is young, but has a cannon for an arm.  Olvera will be a senior and has great legs.

Marshall...as usual will likely employee a running back by committee approach.  Several guys had strong springs.... so it will be interest to see who becomes the "go-to guy".  

The WR corps looks strong....we never really seem to be short in this department.

Secret to success this season?  The offensive line.  The return of Coach Lottinger is huge.  The O-line was our achilles heel last season... and it's poor play was the crux of most of our losses.   Improvement in this one area alone will greatly improve this team's outlook. 

----

This is a good tough test for the Mavs to open the season against a 5A Div I school.  On the road no less.  

With a line-up of New Caney, Longview, and McKinney North to open the season (all 5A Div I)....  Marshall will need to come out firing or an (0-3) start isn't out of the question.  They will no doubt be tested by the time 9-5A play gets started.

The fact that we’re both going to be breaking in new QBs in this game leads me to think it could be a defensive game. 

But…. We were both breaking in QBs last year too and we see how that went. 🤷🏻😂

Mav 7 on 7 team was 9-6 on the season.

Was 2-1 in the Tyler SQT (Lost to Nacogdoches)
Was 4-0 Vs. Evangel in League play
Was 3-1 Vs. Waskom in League play
Was 0-4 Vs. Carthage in league play

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing us Vs Tyler Legacy last night, I feel somewhat better about this game.  Cautiously better.  I’m still waiting to hear from the New Caney/Lake Creek scrimmage. 

The Mav defense kept a very good Legacy in check most of the night. Legacy’s line was HUGE.  Outside of maybe Longview, I doubt we will see a bigger line (on those sides of the ball) as we did last night. 

In spite of the huge size advantage…. The Mav defense held their own most of the night. They only gave up one long pass on the night and one run.  Legacy only found the end zone once the entire scrimmage controlled and live quarters.  Given the talent on their offense… I’m pretty pleased with that. 

Marshall never found the end zone. But the offensive line opened some good lanes for the running backs. Short passing game was OK. Timing issues on the long passes.  Legacy’s defense kept the Mavs in check most of the night.  But we had some bright spots. Again… Legacy was HUGE compared to us. 

I think the Mav defense will be good enough to win the game for us IF the offense can hold onto the ball and just be efficient on the night. 

Hard to imagine NC’s offense will be better than Legacy’s.  They are replacing a lot offensively. 

Hard to imagine their defense being as big as Legacy.  If we can chip away with a running game and short passing game… it’s winnable.

If we turn the ball over…. NC wins easy.  If we don’t… play keep away… and lean on a stingy Mav defense… I think we win a tough low scoring game.  

Feeling cautiously optimistic. But excited about the prospect of a fun season!   

ONE vote for NC in a blowout.  And we all know who it is....lmao.

It might very well happen.

But does he REALLY think that... or is he being petty because I picked Texas High to win comfortably over Joh....ummm Tyler High and it hurt his feelings?

Especially after I tossed out some facts/figures that proved his trash talk was indeed.... trash.

Because Lord knows his winning percentage at picking games is ATROCIOUS.

Him picking NC in a blowout.....given his record at picking games....... is practically a pick for Marshall.

Thanks man!!!

GO MAVS!!!

GO TEXAS HIGH TIGERS!!!!!

• LOL! 2

Football fans and parents aren’t the only ones excited about Friday’s opener in New Caney  

First road trip for the Big Red Pride since 2019. 

170 members this year.  Looking for yet another sweepstakes season. 

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Football fans and parents aren’t the only ones excited about Friday’s opener in New Caney  

First road trip for the Big Red Pride since 2019. 

170 members this year.  Looking for yet another sweepstakes season. 

Y'all's band didn't travel at all last season? That's interesting. I remember watching some of y'all's district mates play and seeing both bands there.

Happy for them to be back.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Y'all's band didn't travel at all last season? That's interesting. I remember watching some of y'all's district mates play and seeing both bands there.

Happy for them to be back.

We only had 4 road games last year. 
They didn’t go to McKinney, Jacksonville, or Whitehouse.    Hallsville was cancelled. 

Pine Tree was the only visiting band that came to Marshall last year I believe. 

• Like 1