Gladewater at Gilmer 08/26/2021

SHillBuckeye

I think the defense looked much better... the O Line has to do better but as I've said all week, Gilmer is a really good football team. In that sense they are the perfect week 1 opponent cuz its obvious what you need to work on, on the other hand, it would be fun to ease into a season every now and then lol 

It is wonderful to have so many talented players but like many have said it's tough in today's game to have to play both ways. All the talent in the world can't compete with teams that have plenty of depth. 

The Bears, for many years,  have been known for their "ground and pound " game.  Part of the reason that is successful is because of 1) a really good offense line 2) giving our RBs and FBs plenty of reps and 3) a RB that has the speed to break the long ones. This year we are going to have problems getting our running game to a point in each game that will benefit the talents we have at WR and QB. Despite being young, both of our QBs have the ability to be really good and we have 2 of the best WRs in East Texas. However,  this year we don't have a RB with the speed and breakability of an Eligia Carter, Corey Davis or other runners we've had in the past.  This is nothing against Malachi, Polly, Verner or Polanco. They played their hearts out against a really good Gilmer defense but with Gladewater having so much talent at the WR position this group of RBs won't be able to get the reps needed to wear down a defense and avg. 4 to 5 yards a carry. Being able to keep opposing offenses off the field is major against teams the caliber of Gilmer.  We have to control the ball. We showed signs of that in the game last night but not consistently. Mostly because of a turn over and a few penalties by Gilmer and at times when the Buckeyes weren't playing their starters. There were glimpses but for the most part our offense couldn't sustain drives. 

We will get better as the year progresses and I'm excited to see how we gel as a team. We have 4 very talented players that could lead this team at QB. Unfortunately 2 of them are our best WRs. We have to find a place for each to contribute.  I've never been a fan of dueling QBs but I wasn't too upset about seeing 3 of those 4 in the QB position last night. With the talent they each have it could be a benefit for us this year.  Time will tell but for sure we have to get the ball into the hands of Allen and Lewis.  Even Eli could be an asset on offense. He had a really good catch last night and if not a couple of drops by our wide open big TE we might have sustained a drive or two more. 

We will see how they come out of this game and how they compete next week at Spring Hill.  The Panthers will be another good test for the defense and hopefully our offense will have a better time getting in the flow.

9 minutes ago, Bears36 said:

Had nothing to do with not getting enough touches. We own a house In Kilgore. He got tired of driving to Gladewater and staying at other people house. Which he did last year. So if you don’t no why my son moved keep his name out your mouth. At the end of the day it’s not all about football it’s about my son been happy. He was not happy. I let him make his on decision being his last year and that’s what he made. He went and talk to Jonny on why he wanted to move and it had nothing to do with sports. Sometimes happiness is more important.  

I agree. It's all about him being happy. I wish him nothing but the best. Be happy,  that's what life's about. 

5 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

We will see how they come out of this game and how they compete next week at Spring Hill.  The Panthers will be another good test for the defense and hopefully our offense will have a better time getting in the flow.

One thing you can count on is that sun from last night will be on display again next Fri right in your face!  🤷‍♂️  But the start time is 7:30pm so hopefully it will drop behind the press box soon enough.  Looking forward to hosting the Bears.

• LOL! 2

4 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Honestly this was the most vanilla called game on offense I have ever seen us play. We only attempted to throw the deep ball maybe twice. Last showed that we will be able to run the ball this yr that will take a lot of pressure off of tennison.

well it was the first game of the year so.... 

5 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Honestly this was the most vanilla called game on offense I have ever seen us play. We only attempted to throw the deep ball maybe twice. Last showed that we will be able to run the ball this yr that will take a lot of pressure off of tennison.

We didn’t exactly throw out the playbook either 😂 

3 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I mean y’all kinda couldn’t lol barley could run the plays y’all were running lol 

we ran 54 plays and gained 208 yards for an average of 3.85 yards per play... is that good? no but its not like we werent doing anything as you are insinuating 

1 minute ago, bearnation said:

when is the last time GW's lead rusher only had 30ish yards rushing 🤨

I’ve never seen it happen. Part of it was because Gilmer has a solid front 7. The other part of it was that we don’t have the kind of Rbs that can go 40 yards on any given play. We will be able to pound the ball. I didn’t think the Oline played badly but there’s room for improvement. I also attribute it to Gilmer’s DLine. I’m not really down about this game because we held our own for almost 3 quarters. It was 100 degrees and we had kids playing both ways chasing very good football players all over the field. They got tired. As we go they will get better and as far as I know we won’t see Gilmer again this year. 

4 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man I say put kollin kid a QB and let him be a playmaker. He can throw better than what I seen last night. Also I think they need to move DJ to safety it’s to hard to try to play corner and wr the whole game.

I trust our coaches to make those decisions. You play couch coach for the Buckeyes 😂 

4 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

I’ve never seen it happen. Part of it was because Gilmer has a solid front 7. The other part of it was that we don’t have the kind of Rbs that can go 40 yards on any given play. We will be able to pound the ball. I didn’t think the Oline played badly but there’s room for improvement. I also attribute it to Gilmer’s DLine. I’m not really down about this game because we held our own for almost 3 quarters. It was 100 degrees and we had kids playing both ways chasing very good football players all over the field. They got tired. As we go they will get better and as far as I know we won’t see Gilmer again this year. 

Without a doubt... Gilmer front 7, as I told you earlier in the week, is a problem and will be a problem all year for their opponents... I do feel like we are missing a home run hitter at RB though... I dont want that to sound like im knocking our current RB, kid runs hard and does so well when a hole is presented to him... I just dont see the top end speed i've seen from guys in the past. 

13 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

yea I know but I would of liked to have them give Rockwell some targets he was open a lot but it showed that we have other capable receivers. 

#4 is a quick lil receiver, kid has some nice hands.. but #17 is a baller

3 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Not playing coach but anyone with a little football IQ can see that.

you changed 3 player's positions on the GW team and claim that it just takes a little football IQ to know that, so what you're saying is the GW coaches lack the football IQ that you evidently have...?

Just now, bearnation said:

you changed 3 player's positions on the GW team and claim that it just takes a little football IQ to know that, so what you're saying is the GW coaches lack the football IQ that you evidently have...?

No y’all reading to much into it. I said I would do that, with DJ at safety he could impact the game more and doesn’t have to use so much energy. It’s like him playing centerfield like he does in baseball. I would try to put the ball in his or the kollin kid every play.