2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

12 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Would love for the district stay intact even if Jax and SS move to 4a, going with a 7 team district gives each of us another non-district game to work stuff out. Moving to Region 2 vs 3 lets us play schools a little closer. Anything to keep Nac from going south. I would like to see Nac matchup vs Crandall, Ennis, Corsicana vs Huntsville and College St. 

We’ve been lucky and never had to go down that way in the first round.   But we did have to go to Houston in 2018 to play Nederland. 

But I agree.  Driving to the metroplex for 1st or 2nd round games sounds infinitely better than the Greater Houston Area. 

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

We’ve been lucky and never had to go down that way in the first round.   But we did have to go to Houston in 2018 to play Nederland.

We've only had to drive down to Beaumont, but good Lord.

It was not fun for sure.

1 minute ago, Lions70 said:

I figured you were more inclined to the neighbors up north. Change in scenery or better competition? Also would like too see Nac/hendo get back on the schedule. 

I have always believed that the UIL looks at who u play for non-district and takes that into account at realignment time. Schedule teams to the south and the could realign u that way. 

When I was in Highschool our coaches insisted on playing Dallas and FW team vs East Texas teams and we had an 8 year stretch in a district with Dallas and FW area schools. I believe the non-district schedules they were playing helped the UIL push them that way. I could be wrong but I believe it plays a part. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

I have always believed that the UIL looks at who u play for non-district and takes that into account at realignment time. Schedule teams to the south and the could realign u that way. 

When I was in Highschool our coaches insisted on playing Dallas and FW team vs East Texas teams and we had an 8 year stretch in a district with Dallas and FW area schools. I believe the non-district schedules they were playing helped the UIL push them that way. I could be wrong but I believe it plays a part. 

I don’t completely know how it all works…. But from what I understand, it all starts with El Paso and works clockwise from there.  The district numbers kind of cascade from there.

EP will be district 1 (and maybe 2 if they can fill two districts). Then it goes to panhandle and West Texas.  Then the metroplex then east texas. Houston. Centex always seems somewhat divided between region 2 and 3. South Texas.  However those numbers cascade down to us…. We end up either in Region 2 or 3.  East Texas is right on that numerical line that could go either way. 

Bur I’d certainly prefer region 2 travel wise. I don’t think competition wise is a big difference. You either get AMC/Huntsville or you end up with Ennis/Corsicana/Forney.  Second round you get The Frisco schools Vs suburban Houston.  It’s a wash in competition IMHO. 

The big difference with being in Region 2 vs Region 3 is that East TX schools normally play DFW schools in preseason. So heading in the playoffs you are more familiar with your opponents.  Outside of Lufkin, not sure if any big East TX schools schedule Region 3 schools in preseason on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

The big difference with being in Region 2 vs Region 3 is that East TX schools normally play DFW schools in preseason. So heading in the playoffs you are more familiar with your opponents.  Outside of Lufkin, not sure if any big East TX schools schedule Region 3 schools in preseason on a regular basis.

Marshall has had both New Caney and Alvin Shadow Creek in the last 5 years. Cypress Falls if you go back the last 10 seasons or so.

But I always preferred our non-district series with Corsicana, Royce City, Crandall.  

TBH I always liked our series with the Monroe schools (Neville and Ouachita).  Always enjoyed Shreveport Byrd too.  Could do without Bossire Parkway….. 

Just now, Mavchamp said:

Marshall has had both New Caney and Alvin Shadow Creek in the last 5 years. Cypress Falls if you go back the last 10 seasons or so.

But I always preferred our non-district series with Corsicana, Royce City, Crandall.  

TBH I always liked our series with the Monroe schools (Neville and Ouachita).  Always enjoyed Shreveport Byrd too.  Could do without Bossire Parkway….. 

outside of Marshall I can't think of many Region 3 non district games.  

Marshall seems to always schedule like that. I have attended a couple Marshall vs Ouachita games.  Those NE LA big schools from a talent standpoint match up well with the East Texas Big schools. Then you throw in Byrd.  Parkway is not as good as they used to be since they got rid of their coach. It was a big shock when they fired him...very successful there.

I like to see Cujo schedule some Houston area schools in the future... but I know the travel isn't idea.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

outside of Marshall I can't think of many Region 3 non district games.  

Marshall seems to always schedule like that. I have attended a couple Marshall vs Ouachita games.  Those NE LA big schools from a talent standpoint match up well with the East Texas Big schools. Then you throw in Byrd.  Parkway is not as good as they used to be since they got rid of their coach. It was a big shock when they fired him...very successful there.

I like to see Cujo schedule some Houston area schools in the future... but I know the travel isn't idea.

The New Caney series was a good one. We split with them.  Both games were close into the fourth with the other pulling away late inno the fourth because of turnovers.  I doubt we renew with them though.

We lost to Shadow Creek on a Hail Mary at the end of the game. Ugh.

im pretty sure we will renew our series with Carthage next year.  Of course Longview.

No clue who will take McKinney North’s spot. We swept them in two non-competitive blowouts.  I wouldn’t mind Lufkin getting their spot. 

If Jacksonville drops we may be looking for a fourth non-district game.  I’d hope for maybe Tyler or Byrd. 

• Like 2

With all the talk about realignment....and the possibility of the ETX 5A Div II district moving from region III to region II........ thought it would be interesting to see how the playoffs might would have looked like THIS season if we had been in region II.

Keep in mind this playoff mock doesn't move teams up or down in classification....I'm keeping the 2021 teams in place...just changing the district numbers so that 9-5A can be in Region II (8-5A).

Here we go:

W5 Lovejoy
F6 Dallas Hillcrest

R8  Marshall
T7 Royce City

W6 South Oak Cliff
F5 Denison 

R7 Forney
T8 Mount Pleasant

W7 Ennis
F8 Nacogdoches

R6 Mesquite Poteet
T5 Frisco Liberty

W8 Texas High
F7 Crandall

R5 Frisco
T6 Dallas Kimball

---------

The biggest thing you notice is that Aledo, Burleson, Everman, and Mansfield Timberview would all be moved out of region II and into region I.  That's significant with Timberview and Aledo both still playing.  No one in region II would meet either of them until the state semifinals.

Texas High-   I doubt Crandall (6-5) would offer much resistance to the Tigers.   However....Frisco (10-2) could prove to be a really tough second round match-up.  Tougher than Texas City?  Who knows??  The third round has a big question mark because of Timberview's win over Ennis (11-1).  With Timberview moved over to region I..... most would likely take Ennis to still be playing; possibly Mesquite Poteet (8-4) for a third round.  It would likely be either Lovejoy (11-1) or SOC (11-1) in the region finals.  Aledo (12-0) would be waiting in the semis followed by Crosby, AMC, or Liberty Hill in the state championship.

Marshall-  Hard to compare Royse City (8-3) Vs. Rudder (7-4).  RC lost their last 3 games to end their season after starting (8-0).  Rudder seemed  little more consistent.  If the Mavs got passed the Bulldogs, Lovejoy (11-1) would be waiting, who has had one of the top offenses in all of 5A Div II.  Just like Crosby was.... that's a tough second round draw.  No doubt the Leopards would be favorites.  Third round would like be SOC (11-1) or Forney (7-4).  And of course the region finals would likely be Texas High (11-0) or Frisco (10-2).  Aledo in the semis and Crosby, AMC, or Liberty Hill in the championship.

Mount Pleasant- I think facing a (7-4) Forney team in the first round only 2 hours from home sounds exponentially better than playing an AMC team that was 4.5 hours away.  May not have been a W for the Tigers....but I think the mountain to climb would have been much lesser.  Second round likely would have been SOC (11-1)...and that likely would have been the end of the road.

Nacogdoches- Unfortunately for the Dragons.... I don't think their first round game in Ennis would have been any easier than the one they had down in Montgomery....in fact...it may have been more difficult.

---------

Interesting stuff.  One thing this shows for sure.... there are no easy roads to Arlington.

But I think most would agree.... travels to the metroplex seem infinitely better than College Station/Houston/Huntsville

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Longview knocks off San Augustine this afternoon, 64-32, in the Lufkin Winter Hoops Classic..will face Lufkin Hudson later tonight.

Lobos, since gaining the football boys, have now won 4 in a row to improve to 5-4 on the season.

• Like 1

Hallsville Boys went to 10-2 on the year going 4-1 in the Spring Hill/White Oak Tournament this past weekend. Scores of the 5 games were"

Hallsville 60  Liberty-Eylau 40

Hallsville 71   Temple 51

Hallsville 64   Tyler High 67

Hallsville 53    Kilgore 28

Hallsville 64    Mineola 36

On 12/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, hoopscoach17 said:

Hallsville Boys went to 10-2 on the year going 4-1 in the Spring Hill/White Oak Tournament this past weekend. Scores of the 5 games were"

Hallsville 60  Liberty-Eylau 40

Hallsville 71   Temple 51

Hallsville 64   Tyler High 67

Hallsville 53    Kilgore 28

Hallsville 64    Mineola 36

Hallsville is reallly good. JAX is 5-1 and fortunate to beat Hallsville in JVille a couple ofweeks ago. JAX just overwhelmed Hallsville in the 2nd half with the press. Cats are good.

• Like 1

So 5A (for non football) schools...

Hallsville, Longview, Lufkin Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Nacogdoches, Pine Tree, Texas High, Tyler, Whitehouse.

Will be interesting to see how they handle these few of schools for two districts.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

So 5A (for non football) schools...

Hallsville, Longview, Lufkin Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Nacogdoches, Pine Tree, Texas High, Tyler, Whitehouse.

Will be interesting to see how they handle these few of schools for two districts.

Maybe include Huntsville 

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

New mock districts out.

That 5A non football district for East Texas is quite interesting with how few teams they are.

The only other thing that could happen in the East Texas 5A D1 District is the could add South Garland (2162) if they don't opt up to play with the rest of the Garland schools.

15 minutes ago, hoopscoach17 said:

The only other thing that could happen in the East Texas 5A D1 District is the could add South Garland (2162) if they don't opt up to play with the rest of the Garland schools.

I thought I saw on either DCTF or UIL site that the Garland schools opt up to stay together. 

• Like 1