2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I was looking at the numbers Matt Stepp put up for a proposed 7A and how that could affect East Texas 5A.

He proposed:

7A: 2825 and up
6A: 2000-2824
5A Div I: 1591-1999
5A Div II: 1060-1590

That sends Longview, Lufkin, and Tyler back to 6A.

I went through this a little bit ago on the 6A board.

https://www.6atexasfootball.com/forum/main-forum/team-threads/77-official-longview-lobo-thread-home-of-lobo-nation?p=655157#post655157

A district for Longview/Tyler/Legacy would basically be Mesquite, North Mesquite, West Mesquite, Forney & North Forney.

Longview/Tyler fans need to get use to going to City Bank starting next season, cause they'll be in our district for quite a while I feel.

The big question will be does 6A do a pre split or does 6A continue as it currently is and have a split once the regular season is done. Regardless, a world of Longview, Highland Park, Denton Ryan, Soutlake Carroll, Frisco Lone Star, Aledo DeSoto, Cedar Hill, College Station, Smithson Valley, Cedar Park etc all being in one class is coming. (though SLC might be right on that edge next go around and no doubt would be 6A D1)

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I went through this a little bit ago on the 6A board.

https://www.6atexasfootball.com/forum/main-forum/team-threads/77-official-longview-lobo-thread-home-of-lobo-nation?p=655157#post655157

A district for Longview/Tyler/Legacy would basically be Mesquite, North Mesquite, West Mesquite, Forney & North Forney.

Longview/Tyler fans need to get use to going to City Bank starting next season, cause they'll be in our district for quite a while I feel.

The big question will be does 6A do a pre split or does 6A continue as it currently is and have a split once the regular season is done. Regardless, a world of Longview, Highland Park, Denton Ryan, Soutlake Carroll, Frisco Lone Star, Aledo DeSoto, Cedar Hill, College Station, Smithson Valley, Cedar Park etc all being in one class is coming. (though SLC might be right on that edge next go around and no doubt would be 6A D1)

The two times that Tyler High has played there. They have lost. Not a big fan of that stadium.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:24 AM, Mavchamp said:

I was looking at the numbers Matt Stepp put up for a proposed 7A and how that could affect East Texas 5A.

He proposed:

7A: 2825 and up
6A: 2000-2824
5A Div I: 1591-1999
5A Div II: 1060-1590

That sends Longview, Lufkin, and Tyler back to 6A.

5A Div I: 
Nacogdoches and Texas High would move up to 5A Div I.

Nacogdoches
Brenham
Bryan Rudder
Lamar Consolidated
Montgomery Lake Creek
Huntsville

With Fulshear and AMC moving up to 6A, Brenham and Nacogdoches will fill the gap

-----
Texas High would likely stay on an I-30 district

Texas High
Lucas Lovejoy
Mesquite Poteet
Princeton
Frisco Emerson
Frisco Independence
Frisco Liberty
Frisco Memorial.  

5A Div II:
This could get wild....depending how UIL decides to divy things up. There are as many as 18 schools that could be thrown into an East Texas district.

Mount Pleasant
Sulphur Springs
Greenville
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Kilgore
Lindale
Tyler Chapel Hill
Jacksonville
Terrell
Whitehouse
Melissa
Denison
Princeton
Kaufman
Ennis
Corsicana

I literally came up with almost an endless number of combinations here.  The DFW schools are the wildcards.  Would they stay grouped together.... or would the be split to go along an I-30/I-20 line.

DFW:  Kaufman, Princeton, Denison, Melissa, Terrell, Greenville
East:  Marshall, Hallsville, Pine Tree, Mount Pleasant, Kilgore, Sulphur Springs
West: Whitehouse, Jacksonville, Chapel Hill, Lindale, Corsicana, Ennis

North:  Princeton, Denison, Melissa, Greenville, Sulphur Springs, Mount Pleasant
South:  Marshall, Hallsville, Pine Tree, Kilgore, Whitehouse, Chapel Hill, Lindale
DFW:  Kaufman, Terrell, Corsicana, Ennis, Jacksonville

North:  Marshall, Hallsville, PT, MP, SS, Greenville, Lindale
South:  Kaufman, Terrell, Kilgore, WH, Jacksonville, Chapel Hill, 
DFW: Princeton, Melissa, Denison, Ennis, Corsicana

Going to be interesting to see how things go down.  Of course all this could be out the window by 2024.  There is a chance Hallsville and Whitehouse could be Div I by then... giving Texas High some East Texas neighbors.

All speculation.

All of this why I am starting to feel like Nac will go south in this realignment because they would stay with some of those teams when the create 7A and take Nac to 5a Div 1. 

Texas High 5a-1 district sucks, driving to frisco and mesquite. 

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

All of this why I am starting to fill like Nac will go south in this realignment because they would stay with some of those teams when the create 7A and take Nac to 5a Div 1. 

Texas High 5a-1 district sucks, driving to frisco and mesquite. 

Would just suck not being in an East Texas District and in with teams that we have no history with.    But wouldn't surprise me.  We are truly in no man's land

• Like 1

12 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Would just suck not being in an East Texas District and in with teams that we have no history with.    But wouldn't surprise me.  We are truly in no man's land

Lufkin, Nac, and Texas High all are islands in football.  Especially THS when they are Division I.  At least being Div II they have MP close.

Marshall/PT/Hallsville are at an advantage being so close to one another.  All three have  been grouped together every alignment since 2002.  Sometimes they have gone south with Jax, Nac, and WH.  Sometimes they have gone North with SS and Greenville.

If and when 7A comes…. Those islands will return for THS, Nac, and Lufkin.  Means some long trips for district play.  And like you said… mostly with teams you not only don’t share any history with… but with whom you share very little with as far as being rural Vs suburban, demographics, and sociology-economic status of your students. 

On 12/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, ANTI said:

On Womack, they were originally going to rename South Ward into Womack right?

It was discussed, but it didn't have the legs that Bailey did. The new Womack facility is going to be nice, as is the Satterwhite Center.

Overall, it's going to be an excellent project, and will help pull LHS into the 20th century. 

• Thanks 1

15-5A Girls Basketball Standings
Mount Pleasant (2-0), (?-?)
Texas High (3-0), (?-?)
Marshall (2-0), (11-4)
Hallsville (1-2), (6-11)
Longview (0-1), (?-?)
Pine Tree (0-2), (3-10)
Sulphur Springs (0-3), (0-18)

Game 3
Marshall beat Sulphur Springs 56-19
Texas High beat Hallsville 47-44
Longview Vs Mount Pleasant NO REPORT ????
Pine Tree- OFF

Texas High and Marshall remained unbeaten in district play with wins on Tuesday.  No report from the Longview/MP game.  Sulphur Springs remains winless on the season.  Pine Tree has not won a district game.  Teams will be off the rest of this week for Christmas.  Most will be in non-district tournament play next week.  District play will resume on Jan 4th.

------------------

15-5A Boys Basketball Standings
Hallsville (1-0), (17-2)
Sulphur Springs (1-0), (15-5)
Mount Pleasant (1-0), (9-5)
Longview (0-1), (10-8)
Pine Tree (0-0), (6-6)
Marshall (0-1), (5-9)
Texas High (0-1), (4-14)

Game 1
Mount Pleasant beat Longview 54-52
Hallsville beat Texas High 70-45
Sulphur Springs beat Marshall 67-48
Pine Tree- OFF

Like last season... MP and Longview played a barnburner as the Tigers escaped Lobo Coliseum with a thrilling 2 point win.  Hallsville continues to roll their opponents with a 25 point win over Texas High.  SS made easy work of Marshall with a 19 point win at home.  District play will resume on Jan 4th.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, WhyUMad said:

Longview boys beat Texas High 58 to 55 tonight.It was hard to watch lots of turnovers!

Frustrating for sure.

Longview got out big, Texas High came back but thankfully Longview grabbed the W. But like you said, it was sloppppppy.

Longview Boys Soccer started their 40th season off with a 2-0 victory over Mesquite Horn at home yesterday afternoon.

Lobos travel to Forney to participate in the Forney Kickoff Tournament and will take on Mesquite Horn, again, on Thursday in the morning before taking on South Oak Cliff in the night cap. Lobos finish group play on Friday against host Forney.

15-5A Girls Basketball Standings
Mount Pleasant (3-0), (10-4)
Texas High (3-0), (10-6)
Marshall (3-0), (13-7)
Hallsville (1-3), (10-14)
Sulphur Springs (1-3), (1-18)
Longview (0-2), (?-?)
Pine Tree (0-3), (4-13)

Game 4
Marshall beat Hallsville 44-38
Sulphur Springs beat Pine Tree 49-29
Texas High Vs. Longview CANCELLED
Mount Pleasant- OFF

This race is quickly turning in to a Haves/Have nots at the top with MP, Texarkana, and Marshall all sitting at (3-0) while PT and Longview are still winless.  Hallsville and SS are sitting with 1 win.  Things will start getting interesting as MP and THS face off against each other in a battle of first place.  Marshall will host Longview, hoping to remain tied for first with the winner of the MP/THS game.  Hallsville and PT will face off in a game Hallsville really needs to win to keep themselves in the playoff hunt.

------------------

15-5A Boys Basketball Standings
Hallsville (2-0), (22-2)
Sulphur Springs (2-0), (18-7)
Mount Pleasant (1-0), (12-6)
Longview (1-1), (11-8)
Pine Tree (0-1), (7-11)
Marshall (0-2), (4-13)
Texas High (0-2), (4-15)

Game 2
Hallsville beat Sulphur Springs 56-42
Sulphur Springs beat Pine Tree 85-51
Longview beat Texas High 58-55
Mount Pleasant- OFF

Hallsville and Sulphur Springs remained unbeaten in district play with MP idle on the night.  Longview won on the road for their first district win.  Marshall and Texas High continue to struggle. 

-----------------------------

16-5A ladies will tip off district play on Friday

Men will start district next Friday

20 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

I don't get it.....

PT has the most successful stretches they have had in 30 years.... and they do this?

Historically speaking...... teams struggle with coaching changes.  Historically speaking...... 5A and 6A programs that split their AD/HFC positions don't keep guys very long.

PT has been a contender of late.... and got their first playoff win in over 3 decades in 2020.  

Seems an odd move.

Is this a good move for PT?  Or is this the typical two steps forward three steps back we've seen PT fall into for the last 30 years?

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don't get it.....

PT has the most successful stretches they have had in 30 years.... and they do this?

Historically speaking...... teams struggle with coaching changes.  Historically speaking...... 5A and 6A programs that split their AD/HFC positions don't keep guys very long.

PT has been a contender of late.... and got their first playoff win in over 3 decades in 2020.  

Seems an odd move.

Is this a good move for PT?  Or is this the typical two steps forward three steps back we've seen PT fall into for the last 30 years?

No idea what to expect from this.

I will say that Bachman has a lot of championship pedigree as both a player and offensive coordinator.

Clearly, the trend in 5A is to split football HC and AD. I have no idea if this good, bad, or it doesn’t matter…. I would tend to believe the latter. It adds significant $$$ to a budget.  I know 6A has done it forever. NOT against it! But if I’m on a school board, I would need to be convinced with actual numbers from other places that made the change and how it improved things across the board, especially when teachers are so underpaid. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

Clearly, the trend in 5A is to split football HC and AD. I have no idea if this good, bad, or it doesn’t matter…. I would tend to believe the latter. It adds significant $$$ to a budget.  I know 6A has done it forever. NOT against it! But if I’m on a school board, I would need to be convinced with actual numbers from other places that made the change and how it improved things across the board, especially when teachers are so underpaid. 

Most big schools district have the money to do it. 

• Like 1

Some of the 5A's are splitting the HC/AD out of necessity. Schools like Hallsville and Whitehouse are continuing to grow making the number of athletes and teams participating too much for the Head Football coach/AD to handle. During the fall of course the Head FB coach will have 100% of his attention on the football program, which in most 5A programs will involve 120-150 student athletes (not counting Middle School). Throw in girls Volleyball, Fall tennis and cross country and the ability of the HC/AD to effectively do his job becomes almost impossible!! After the season the HC of football still must oversee the off season program and spring training while dealing with basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, tennis, golf and track and field, along with all of the Middle School sports!! The team sports will all field at least 3 teams in each sport, many overlapping their seasons and playing at the same time. Thus becomes the need at that level, with that many student athletes and teams, to form the position of full time AD.

• Like 2

Lady Lobos opened their 2022 soccer season with a 1-0 win over Rowlett in the Wylie Tournament. Longview takes on Hutto tomorrow in day 2 of the tournament.

Lobos continue their strong start to the 2022 season with a 1-0 win over Mesquite Horn followed by a 5-0 win over South Oak Cliff, improving to 3-0 on the year. They'll take on host Forney in the Forney ISD Kickoff Classic tomorrow.

• Like 1