2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

SS and Jax gonna be hell on folks in 4A. 

Yes and we’ll be in two different regions so we won’t meet in the playoffs. The only problem for us is Oak Cliff Faith Family will block our path to the state tournament. Basically a Dallas all star team. Still not sure why that’s allowed to happen. 

BOYS
15-5A
XLongview (14-2-3, 7-0-1) - 23 pts
XMount Pleasant (13-3-4, 7-0-1) - 22 pts
Pine Tree (6-7-2, 3-4-1) - 10 pts
Hallsville (5-8-4, 3-4-0) - 9 pts
Sulphur Springs (4-14-3, 3-5-0) 9 pts
Marshall (3-12-2, 1-4-1) - 5 pts
Texas High (6-8-0, 1-7-0) - 3 pts

Longview won 3-0 over Hallsville
Mount Pleasant won 5-1 over Sulphur Springs
Pine Tree won 3-1 over Texas High
Marshall - Bye

16-5A
Whitehouse (12-3-3, 4-1-2) - 16 pts
Jacksonville (11-5-2, 4-2-1) - 14 pts
Lufkin (10-4-6, 3-2-2) - 11 pts
Nacogdoches (9-5-2, 2-1-4) - 11 pts
Tyler (4-11-3, 2-3-2) - 9 pts
Huntsville (4-10-4, 0-6-1) - 2 pts

Jacksonville won 4-1 over Tyler
Nacogdoches won 4-1 over Huntsville
Whitehouse tied 1-1 with Lufkin, but won the shootout

Notes -
15-5A: The top two teams in the district steamrolled the 3rd and 4th place (at the time) teams to put even more separation between them. Longview dominated Hallsville, 3-0, while Mount Pleasant demolished Sulphur Springs 5-1. With Sulphur Springs losing, Longview and Mount Pleasant both clinched playoffs berth. The Wildcats have 4 games left for a total of 12 points available, and with just 9 points on the board thus far they can only reach 21 total. Lobos and Tigers both have more than that already. This is all but sets up the district title game next Friday night in Longview when the Lobos host the Tigers. Pine Tree jumped into a playoff spot with their 3-1 win over Texas High, leap frogging over the Wildcats and Bobcats.
16-5A: A shorthanded Tyler team couldn't put up much fight over the Indians who were rolling to a 4-1 victory. That coupled with Whitehouse tying Lufkin, despite winning the shootout, sees the Indians just two points behind the top seeded Cats. Nacogdoches jumped back into a playoff spot with Tyler losing and their dominating win over Huntsville.

GIRLS
15-5A
XLongview (16-2-1, 8-0-0) - 24 pts
Hallsville (14-2-0, 5-2-0) - 15 pts
Mount Pleasant (12-5-0, 5-3-0) - 15 pts
Pine Tree (9-6-1, 4-4-0) - 12 pts
Texas High (9-5-1, 4-4-0) - 12 pts
Sulphur Springs (4-11-2, 1-6-0) - 3 pts
Marshall (2-12-0, 0-7-0) - 0 pts

Longview won 1-0 over Hallsville
Texas High won 1-0 over Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant won 1-0 over Sulphur Springs
Marshall - Bye

16-5A
XJacksonville (11-3-2, 6-0-1) - 20 pts
XLufkin (8-11-1, 5-1-1) - 16 pts
Whitehouse (4-10-1, 3-3-2) - 11 pts
Nacogdoches (7-9-3, 3-4-1) - 11 pts
Tyler (4-12-1, 1-5-1) - 4 pts
Huntsville (4-11-2, 0-6-1) - 1 pts

Jacksonville tied 1-1 with Tyler, but won the shootout
Lufkin won 2-1 over Whitehouse
Nacogdoches tied 3-3 with Huntsville, but won the shootout

** Missing shootout winner of Lufkin/Whitehouse from 1st round **

Notes:
15-5A: Longview got the massive win of the day as they defeated Hallsville 1-0 with a goal with just 8 minutes remaining. The win all but assures the Lady Lobos will win the district title, barring two losses. The Ladycats have just two losses on the year, both to Longview. Texas High had a massive win for themselves as they knocked off Pine Tree 1-0 to bring themselves into a tie with 12 points. We're missing the Mount Pleasant/Sulphur Springs score, so we either have a 3 way tie for 3rd/4th, or the Lady Tigers are sitting in 3rd while the Lady Tigers and Lady Pirates are tied for the final playoff spot. With who has to play each other still, Longview has clinched a playoff berth.
16-5A: The big upset of the day came in the Tyler/Jacksonville game as the Lady Lions were able to hold the Maidens to a 1-1 tie. Jacksonville grabbed the extra point in the shootout but still a pretty big miss to push their point total for Jacksonville. Lufkin knocked off Whitehouse to submit their spot into 2nd and stay right on top of Jacksonville with just three games left. Nacogdoches also missed a chance to climb into 3rd but still were able to grab the shootout win after a 3-3 tie with district winless Huntsville. The loss eliminates the Lady Hornets with just three games remaining. Tyler needs to win out to have a chance. Jacksonville and Lufkin have both clinched playoff berths.
Update: Mount Pleasant defeated Sulphur Springs 1-0, so the Lady Tigers sit tied for 2nd but Hallsville has a full game in hand over MP. While Texas High and Pine Tree are tied for 3rd and 4th.

• Like 1

BOYS
15-5A
XMount Pleasant (14-3-4, 8-0-1) - 25 pts
XLongview (14-2-3, 7-0-1) - 23 pts
Sulphur Springs (5-14-3, 4-5-0) - 12 pts
Pine Tree (6-8-2, 3-5-1) - 10 pts
Hallsville (5-9-4, 3-5-0) - 9 pts
Marshall (4-12-2, 2-4-1) - 8 pts
Texas High (6-9-0, 1-8-0) - 3 pts

Marshall won 2-1 over Pine Tree
Sulphur Springs won 3-2 over Texas High
Mount Pleasant won 3-1 over Hallsville
Longview - Bye

16-5A
Whitehouse (13-3-3, 5-1-2) - 19 pts
Jacksonville (11-5-3, 4-2-2) - 15 pts
Nacogdoches (9-5-3, 2-1-5) - 13 pts
Tyler (5-11-3, 3-3-2) - 12 pts
Lufkin (10-5-6, 3-3-1) - 11 pts
Huntsville (4-11-4, 0-7-1) - 2 pts

Nacogdoches and Jacksonville tied 2-2, with Nacogdoches winning the shootout
Tyler upset Lufkin, 2-1
Whitehouse won 3-1 over Huntsville

Notes -
15-5A: Can't say too much until we get the scores of the big games between Mount Pleasant/Hallsville and Sulphur Springs/Texas High. We did have a big upset in the one score we do have with Marshall knocking off Pine Tree, 2-1. The Mavs are now in the thick of the playoff race regardless of the other scores...though they do still have Longview and Mount Pleasant left to play.
Edit: Sulphur Springs won 3-2 over Texas High. Tigers are on the verge of elimination while the Wildcats jump up into 3rd place for now. Pine Tree going 0-1-1 against the Mavs this season I think is really going to come back to haunt them.
Edit 2: Mount Pleasant won 3-1 over Hallsville, pushing them into 1st place with the Lobos having a game in hand and meeting the Tigers on Friday night in Longview.
16-5A: I don't think you can call it an upset at this point but Tyler got a massive victory over Lufkin last night to push the Panthers out of a playoff spot and push themselves up. Just a massive, massive win for a Lion team that really struggled in non-district. Whitehouse eliminated Huntsville with a 3-1 win and Nacogdoches again played to a tie but came out as penalty kick winners over the Tribe.

GIRLS
15-5A
XLongview (16-2-1, 8-0-0) - 24 pts
Hallsville (15-2-0, 6-2-0) - 18 pts
Mount Pleasant (12-6-0, 5-4-0) - 15 pts
Pine Tree (10-6-1, 5-4-0) - 15 pts
Texas High (9-5-1, 4-4-0) - 12 pts
Sulpuhr Springs (4-11-2, 1-6-0) - 3 pts
Marshall (2-13-0, 0-8-0) - 0 pts

Halllsville won 4-0 over Mount Pleasant
Pine Tree won 8-0 over Marshall
Missing Sulphur Springs/Texas High score
Longview - Bye

16-5A
XJacksonville (12-3-2, 7-0-1) - 23 pts
XLufkin (9-11-1, 6-1-1) - 19 pts
XWhitehouse (5-10-1, 4-3-2) - 14 pts
XNacogdoches (7-9-3, 3-5-1) - 11 pts
Tyler (4-13-1, 1-6-1) 4 pts
Huntsville (4-12-2, 0-7-1)- 1 pt

Jacksonville won 6-1 over Nacogdoches
Lufkin won 4-0 over Tyler
Whiitehouse won 5-1 over Huntsville

** Missing shootout winner of Lufkin/Whitehouse from 1st round **

Notes:
15-5A: Hallsville stayed in the district ace with a dominating victory over Mount Pleasant as the Lady Lobos had the night off. Pine Tree rebounded in a big way with a dominating win over the winless Lady Mavs. Still waiting on the Texas High/Sulphur Springs score. Longview and Hallsville are pretty much locked into 1st and 2nd. Final seeding for 3rd-5th is all we're looking for.
16-5A: All four playoff teams are locked in as a result of last night's results. Tyler has two games remaining but can only get to 10 points, while even though Nacogdoches lost big, they still have 11 and have clinched at least the 4th seed. Jacksonville would need to lose it's final two games with Lufkin winning their last two, for things to change at the top. Whitehouse has just one game left, and I can't see them losing to Tyler to finish the regular season. So I think it's safe to say the order should finish Jacksonville, Lufkin, Whitehouse then Nacogdoches.

Here is a quick glance at Baseball records as best I can find:

Texas High 4-0
Longview 4-0
Marshall 3-1
Hallsville 3-0
Mount Pleasant 2-1-1
Pine Tree (1-2)
Sulphur Springs 1-0

Texas High has beaten Paris North Lamar, Ouachita Christian, and Captain Shreve twice.

Longview has beaten Carthage, FW Chisolm Trail, Kilgore, and Lufkin Hudson

Marshall has beaten New Boston, defending 4A state champion Pleasant Grove, and Lindale.  Their loss was to Glenbrook.... a defending 4A state champion from Mississippi 

Hallsville has beaten Carthage, Rusk, and Lake Highlands (6A).

This could shape up to be a pretty good baseball race.  

--------------

Not even going to try with softball..... it's a shame how little coverage we see for them prior to district play.

Pine Tree hosted the Graham/Knowles Relays last weekend.  Several 5A programs participated.....

Girls Varsity Final Standings:
1.  Longview 86
2.  Liberty-Eylau 68
3.  Marshall 61
4.  Pine Tree 61
5.  Hallsville 59
6.  Texas High 52
7.  Nacogdoches 24
8.  Kilgore 23

Boys Varsity Final Standings: 
1.  Kilgore 92
2.  Marshall 80
3.  Atlanta 65
4.  Longview 57
5.  Hallsville 44
6.  Pine Tree 41,
7.  Liberty-Eylau 28
8.  Texas High 27

5 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Pretty solid list Mcfall at #2  and Tatum at #4

BE1D9BBF-4727-4121-8DC9-7150BD01611F.jpeg

T high Tamarcus Gray check in at wr on that list, imo 2024 #13 Brandon Hall stood of the 2 this past year. Looks like that class is talented around East Texas when you look at what some teams will bring back next 2 years

Nac-Jones at LB ,Pine Tree-Evans at DE, Longview-Nelson at Corner all make the list at their positions 

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Killer match-up for Lufkin.....

not an easy one for MP either.

Pulling for East Texas!

Yep, a killer matchup for sure. Kimball will be a huge challenge. They have McDonalds All-Americans and we have kids that eat at McDonalds.  

• LOL! 5

I remember the 1979 Lufkin state champion. I saw them beat Conroe in the playoffs at G Rollie White at A&M, I was a freshman that spring at A&M. ‘Ronnie Blake was absolutely amazing, 5 7” guard and all the Dipsy doodle moves around the bucket. He was actually as good a tennis player player, if I remember. The great Jesse Walker was the coach. What a team. They won so many 1 point and OT games to win it. I am going on pure memory here…didn’t they upset a heavily favored Houston team with 6 11” Greg Kite (Boston Celtics for years) in state game?

Good luck to the Panthers today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I remember the 1979 Lufkin state champion. I saw them beat Conroe in the playoffs at G Rollie White at A&M, I was a freshman that spring at A&M. ‘Ronnie Blake was absolutely amazing, 5 7” guard and all the Dipsy doodle moves around the bucket. He was actually as good a tennis player player, if I remember. The great Jesse Walker was the coach. What a team. They won so many 1 point and OT games to win it. I am going on pure memory here…didn’t they upset a heavily favored Houston team with 6 11” Greg Kite (Boston Celtics for years) in state game?

Good luck to the Panthers today. 

That’s awesome. I don’t know much about them, but I do know they were the original “cardiac” pack which the 2001 football team adopted. 

• Like 1