2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

On 3/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, tomlandry said:

East Texas basketball just can't get over the hump. Seems like quality just isn't there compared to schools from DFW. Regional tournament and done has been the song for many ETX schools. 

the best basketball players in East TX play football. Instead of spending their summers improving their bball skills, they are playing 7 on 7 football.  Most of the best players on Tyler High basketball team are football players.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:30 AM, hoopscoach17 said:

I was at the State Tournament in '79 and watching Blake and the Panthers was totally amazing. I had done my student teaching at Longview that year and helped Leroy Romines as an unpaid assistant. I knew how good Lufkin was and was laughing at the people around us at the Madison game who were saying that it would be a Madison blowout!! Lufkin beat Madison fairly easily then beat Dunbar at the buzzer on a Ronnie Blake fall away turn around jumper in the lane at the buzzer!! I will never forget that weekend! We saw several games come down to the buzzer!!!

Tyler High made it to state in 76, Whitehouse won it in 78 and lost in semi finals in 79, then Lufkin won it in 79.  At one point East Texas could compete.  

So former Celtic Greg Kite and Vince Young went to same high school.

• Like 1

I love basketball. Totally agree with @JTFAN99But there are far more opportunities (and $$$) for high school athletes at the next level in football than in basketball. How many D1 basketball players have come out of East Texas (15-20 maybe?) in the last 20 years compared to football? Again, I love basketball … but unless you are playing select basketball in Dallas or Houston…. It’s hard to compete with the metro kids and be seen. And, the chances of winning a state championship at 5A level is more than difficult for any of our East Texas teams. Can it be done? Sure, but its a very low probability. 

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I love basketball. But there are far more opportunities (and $$$) for high school athletes at the next level in football than in basketball. How many D1 basketball players have come out of East Texas in the last 20 years compared to football? Again, I love basketball … but unless you are playing select basketball in Dallas or Houston…. It’s hard to compete with the metro kids and be seen. And, the chances of winning a state championship at 5A level is a hard task indeed. 

its basically a business move. If you ain't 6'5 or above you better off playing football.  However, I do believe a few of these guys could have a chance if they comitted 100% to basketball regardless of height. 

• Like 2

Longview girls knock off Texas High, 2-0, to officially clinch the district title for the 2nd straight year. 22 undefeated district games for the Lady Lobos.

Longview boys roll over Texas High, 10-1. Largest win over the Tigers since 1992.

Full standings and all that coming in the morning.

• Like 1

BOYS
15-5A
XMount Pleasant (15-3-4, 9-0-1) - 28 pts
XLongview (15-3-3, 8-1-1) - 26 pts
XSulphur Springs (7-14-3, 6-5-0) - 18 pts
Hallsville (7-9-4, 5-5-0) - 15 pts
Pine Tree (6-9-2, 3-6-1) - 10 pts
Marshall (4-14-2, 2-6-1) - 8 pts
Texas High (6-11-0, 1-10-0) - 3 pts

Hallsville won 4-0 over Marshall
Longview won 10-1 over Texas High
Sulphur Springs won 6-2 over Pine Tree

16-5A
XWhitehouse (13-4-3, 5-2-2) - 19 pts
XJacksonville (12-5-3, 4-3-2) - 18 pts
Tyler (6-11-3, 4-3-2) - 15 pts
Nacogdoches (9-5-4, 2-1-6) - 14 pts
Lufkin (10-5-7, 3-3-2) - 13 pts
Huntsville (4-12-4, 0-8-1) - 2 pts

NOTES -
15-5A: We almost have our 4 playoff teams locked. Longview rolled over Texas High, 10-1, to stay within 2 points of Mount Pleasant with both teams have 2 games left. Sulphur Springs clinched a playoff berth with a 6-2 victory over Pine Tree. Hallsville eliminated the Mavericks with a 4-0 win over Marshall. So this leaves just Hallsville and Pine Tree left for that final playoff spot. The Pirates must have Hallsville lose their remaining two games, while also winning their remaining two games. The Pirates take on Hallsville and Longview to end the season. If the Bobcats can win this coming Friday, then we'll get the big one for 3rd and 4th played out in front of us as Hallsville takes on Sulphur Springs to end the regular season.

16-5A: District was off on Tuesday. Final regular season games coming this Friday. Lufkin hosts Jacksonville, Whitehouse hosts Nacogdoches and Huntsville hosts Tyler. Almost everything still needs to be decided, other than Whitehouse and Jacksonville have clinched berths. Lufkin needs to win, and hope one of Tyler or Nacogdoches also suffers a loss.

GIRLS
15-5A
XLongview (18-2-1, 10-0-0) - 30 pts
XHallsville (16-2-0, 8-2-0) - 24 pts
XPine Tree (11-6-1, 6-4-0) - 18 pts
Mount Pleasant (12-7-0, 5-5-0) - 15 pts
Texas High (10-7-1, 5-6-0) - 15 pts
Sulphur Springs (4-13-2, 1-9-0) - 3 pts
Marshall (2-14-0, 0-9-0) - 0 pts

Longview won 2-0 over Texas High
Hallsville won 6-0 over Marshall
Pine Tree won 4-1 over Sulphur Springs

16-5A
XJacksonville (13-3-2, 8-0-1) - 26 pts
XLufkin (9-12-1, 6-2-1) - 19 pts
XWhitehouse (6-10-1, 5-3-2) - 17 pts
XNacogdoches (8-9-3, 4-5-1) - 14 pts
Tyler (4-14-1, 1-7-1) - 4 pts
Huntsville (4-13-2, 0-8-1) - 1 pt

** Missing shootout winner of Lufkin/Whitheouse from 1st round **

NOTES -
15-5A: Longview clinched their 2nd straight district crown with a 2-0 win over Texas High, winning their 22nd district game in a row. Pine Tree clinched a playoff berth with a 4-1 win over Sulphur Springs and Hallsville has almost sown up the 2nd spot in district play following a 6-0 win over Marshall. So we head into the final two games with basically things coming down to this Friday for the final playoff berth. Texas High hosts Mount Pleasant, in the Lady Tigers' final regular season game of the season. If Mount Pleasant wins, Texas High is eliminated and seeding will come down to the final week of the season between Mount Pleasant and Pine Tree. If Texas High wins, things get very interesting. Pine Tree has clinched thanks to one of Texas High and Mount Pleasant will be assured to lose at least one point.

16-5A: Entire district was off leading into the final game week of the season. Jacksonville hosts Lufkin, Tyler hosts Huntsville and Whitehouse hosts Nacogdoches. Only thing that needs to be decided are the final seeding places. Jacksonville has won the district. A Lufkin win gives them 2nd place. Whitehouse and Nacogdoches will be fighting for seeding placement.

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

Man, we are doing work this year in baseball. @LoboFan07 @LOL

Baseball and softball are looking good, as is boys/girls soccer. We sent swimmers to the State meet. Tennis is salty, and golf ain't too bad either. 

Pretty impressive if you ask me. 

27 minutes ago, LOL said:

Baseball and softball are looking good, as is boys/girls soccer. We sent swimmers to the State meet. Tennis is salty, and golf ain't too bad either. 

Pretty impressive if you ask me. 

Yes, can't forget about softball.

Soccer has been knocking on the door of gold for a while now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Yes, can't forget about softball.

Soccer has been knocking on the door of gold for a while now. 

Gotta get hoops up to snuff. No excuse. Talent is there. 

8 minutes ago, LOL said:

Gotta get hoops up to snuff. No excuse. Talent is there. 

And volleyball. Haven’t even made the post season since 2015.

Soffball and baseball I want to wait until district to really see how we’re doing but no doubt both are off to better starts than we’ve expected historically.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

And volleyball. Haven’t even made the post season since 2015.

I tend to give a pass to volleyball due to certain, ahem, issues that I don't want to get into here. But sure, I concur. I want to see volleyball winning again. We've got some great kids in there. 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:14 PM, JTFAN99 said:

the best basketball players in East TX play football. Instead of spending their summers improving their bball skills, they are playing 7 on 7 football.  Most of the best players on Tyler High basketball team are football players.

Think many of the better East Texas schools are getting used to advancing to the regional tournament hitting the wall. 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:14 PM, JTFAN99 said:

One of the best in ETx if not the best plays summer hoops....

6 hours ago, ANTI said:

Girls haven't been the same the 2nd Aldridge retired.

My son has some classmates who can seriously ball. Dr. Briley's granddaughter especially. Crazy handles and a sweet jumper, especially considering she's a fourth grader. 

There's talent there, always will be. Just gotta bring it all together. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LOL said:

My son has some classmates who can seriously ball. Dr. Briley's granddaughter especially. Crazy handles and a sweet jumper, especially considering she's a fourth grader. 

There's talent there, always will be. Just gotta bring it all together. 

The other argument is most if not all east texas schools would rather have a state championship in football than basketball

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

The other argument is most if not all east texas schools would rather have a state championship in football than basketball

I don't dispute that in the slightest. In fact, I'm a contributor to that particular mindset. The main reason my son is playing basketball, soccer, etc. is so that he will be a better, more-rounded football player. 

• Like 2

BOYS
15-5A
XMount Pleasant (16-3-4, 10-0-1) - 31 pts
XLongview (16-3-3, 9-1-1) - 29 pts
XSulphur Springs (7-143, 6-5-0) - 18 pts
Hallsville (7-10-4, 5-6-0) - 15 pts
Pine Tree (7-9-2, 4-6-1) - 13 pts
Marshall (4-15-2, 2-7-1) - 8 pts
Texas High (6-12-0, 1-11-0) - 3 pts

Longview won 4-0 over Marshall
Pine Tree won 2-1 over Hallsville
Mount Pleasant won 9-0 over Texas High
Sulphur Springs - OFF

16-5A
XJacksonville (12-5-4, 4-3-3) - 20 pts
XWhitehouse (13-4-3, 5-2-2) - 19 pts
XTyler (7-11-3, 5-3-2) - 18 pts
Nacogdoches (9-5-4, 2-1-6) - 14 pts
Lufkin (10-5-8, 3-3-4) - 14 pts
Huntsville (4-13-4, 0-9-1) - 2 pts

Jacksonville tied Lufkin, 1-1, but won the shootout
Tyler won 2-0 over Huntsville
Whitehouse/Nacogdoches play next Friday

NOTES -
15-5A: Mount Pleasant/Texas High was delayed until today in Mount Pleasant so Longview temporarily retakes the district lead by a point. Still going to leave the Tigers on top of these standings because it's extremely likely MP wins today. Longview grabbed a 4-0 win over the Mavs to eliminate Marshall. Pine Tree got a massive win over Hallsville to stay in the race. It'll come down to the final week, as Longview travels to Pine Tree to take on the Pirates, with Pine Tree having to win. Hallsville travels to Sulphur Springs, knowing a win or a shootout win will clinch the playoffs berth for them. Mount Pleasant needs just a point against Marshall on Tuesday to clinch the district crown.
Edit: Mount Pleasant defeated Texas High, 9-0.

16-5A: Tyler clinched the 3rd seed with a 2-0 win over Huntsville to end the regular season for the Lions, while everything else is still up for debate. Jacksonville and Lufkin tied 1-1, with the Indians winning the shootout. So as of now, that gives Jacksonville 20 points to push the Indians back into top spot. That also gives Lufkin their 14 points, drawing them into a tie with Nacogdoches. The issue is that Whitehouse/Nacogdoches don't play until 03/18. So with 1st/2nd and 4th/5th up for grabs, we must wait an entire week. Not sure why these two aren't playing until next Friday but wait we will. For what it's worth, I'm not sure what happens if Nacogdoches doesn't get a point as both Nac and Lufkin would remain tied at 14. I also am not sure what would happen if Nacogdoches and Whitehouse go to a shootout and the Dragons win, in terms of top spot as then both Jacksonville and Whitehouse would be tied with 20 points.

So here are our scenarios for playoff games with the more likely team first...
15 #1. Mount Pleasant/Longview vs 16 #4. Nacogdoches/Lufkin
15 #2. Longview/Mount Pleasant vs 16 #3. Tyler
15 #3. Sulphur Springs/Hallsville vs 16 #2. Jacksonville/Whitehouse
15 #4. Hallsville/Sulphur Springs/Pine Tree vs 16 #1. Whitehouse/Jacksonville

GIRLS
15-5A
xLongview (19-2-1, 11-0-0) - 33 pts
XHallsville (16-2-1, 8-2-1) - 25 pts
XPine Tree (11-6-2, 6-4-1) - 20 pts
Texas High (10-7-2, 5-6-1) - 17 pts
Mount Pleasant (12-7-1, 5-5-1) - 16 pts
Sulphur Springs (5-13-2, 2-9-0) - 6 pts
Marshall (2-16-0, 0-11-0) - 0 pts

Longview won 10-0 over Marshall
Pine Tree tied Hallsville 1-1 but won the shootout
Texas High tied Mount Pleasant 1-1 but won the shootout
Sulphur Springs - OFF

16-5A
XJacksonville (13-3-3, 9-0-2) - 27 pts
XLufkin (9-12-2, 6-2-2) - 21 pts
XWhitehouse (7-10-1, 5-3-2) - 17 pts
XNacogdoches (8-9-3, 4-5-1) - 14 pts
Tyler (4-15-1, 1-8-1) - 4 pts
Huntsville (5-13-2, 1-8-1) - 4 pts

Lufkin tied Jacksonville 1-1, but won the shootout
Huntsville won 3-1 over Tyler
Whitehouse/Nacogdoches - OFF

** Missing shootout winner of Lufkin/Whitehouse from 1st round **

NOTES -
15-5A: Longview rolled over Marshall, Pine Tree got an upset shootout win over Hallsville to clinch 3rd place. So the top 3 are set. We now just await for that 4th place. Mount Pleasant/Texas High was delayed until today in Texarkana. This is the last game of the season for the Lady Tigers. Texas High must win. If they do, then things go into the final week of the season when Mount Pleasant takes on Marshall, who has not won a game this district season, to determine things.
Edit: Texas High won a shootout over Mount Pleasant, putting the Tigers into 4th place in the district. Mount Pleasant must get a shootout win or a full out win to get into the post season.

16-5A: I should've paid more attention to the schedules for sure, as I just assumed things followed the boys schedule w/different locations. Lufkin and Jacksonville tied 1-1 with the Lady Panthers pulling out a shootout win. Whitehouse and Nacogdoches apparently had their seasons end this past Tuesday, while Huntsville got a victory over Tyler at the bottom of the table to tie on points for the district season.

So things are basically set for round 1 for the girls...

15 #1. Longview vs 16 #4. Nacogdoches
15 #2. Hallsville vs 16 #3. Whitehouse
15 #3. Pine Tree vs 16 #2. Lufkin
15 #4. Mount Pleasant/Texas High vs 16 #1. Jacksonville