2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

Lobo and Lady Lobo soccer combined for the double over Nacogdoches yesterday in their respective tournament. Lady Lobos got a 4-1 win over the Lady Dragons in the Lady Lobo Showcase while the Lobos knocked off Nacogdoches 1-0 down in the Lufkin Tournament.

Lobos sit at 7-0-2 on the year, while Lady Lobos improve to 5-1-1.

Lady Lobos take on the Woodlands today, while Lobos get a rematch with Jacksonville.

Both end their tournament seasons against Lufkin on Saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

What a game! I will note that 95% of the fouls called were by 2 of the 3 refs.  Not sure if the the third ref was disinterested or was just letting them play!!!

Was a great game!  Hallsville’s approach in OT 1, 2, and 3, was curious to me.  I couldn’t believe they were letting MP play keep away and taking the final shot each time.

Some of the fans were booing MP…. But I was wondering why Hallsville wasn’t fouling. Force the Tigers to hit their free throws abd get your own shot up.  I’d rather have the ball in my hands. 

End of the day…. They won. But it was an awful big gamble by the Bobcats.

Anyhow…. Was a fun game.   Congrats to the Bobcats. 

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Was a great game!  Hallsville’s approach in OT 1, 2, and 3, was curious to me.  I couldn’t believe they were letting MP play keep away and taking the final shot each time.

Some of the fans were booing MP…. But I was wondering why Hallsville wasn’t fouling. Force the Tigers to hit their free throws abd get your own shot up.  I’d rather have the ball in my hands. 

End of the day…. They won. But it was an awful big gamble by the Bobcats.

Anyhow…. Was a fun game.   Congrats to the Bobcats. 

MP coach outcoached Hallsville coach until that last possession. MP should have pressed that last inbounds.

4 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

MP coach outcoached Hallsville coach until that last possession. MP should have pressed that last inbounds.

Agreed.  Hallsville had trouble with the press all night.  
Wont take anything from the kid that made the shot though.  That was pretty incredible. 

• Like 1

Lobos suffered their first defeat of the season, at the hands of Jacksonville, 2-0. Longview drops to 7-1-2 on the year.

Lady Lobos picked up a massive 3-2 win over the Woodlands yesterday. Longview led 3-0 at the break before the Lady Highlanders scored 2 in the last 7:40 of the game to make it closer than it was. Longview now 7-1-1 on the year. 

Both squads will face Lufkin today.

15-5A Girls Basketball Standings
Mount Pleasant (8-0), (15-4)
Marshall (6-1), (16-8)
Texas High (6-2), (13-9)
Hallsville (4-4), (13-15)
Sulphur Springs (2-6), (4-24)
Longview (1-6), 4-19) 
Pine Tree (0-8), (4-18)

Game 9
Marshall beat Pine Tree 42-34
Texas High beat Sulphur Springs 56-36 (final?)
Mount Pleasant beat Hallsville 44-31 (final?)
Longview- OFF

There weren't any upsets on Friday as all the favorites won their games.  MP maintained their hold on the first place slot with a lead over Marshall.  The Lady Mavs have a half game lead over Texas High for the #2 slot.  Hallsville sits in the final playoff slot.

------------------

15-5A Boys Basketball Standings
Hallsville (5-1), (25-3)
Mount Pleasant (4-2), (15-8)
Sulphur Springs (4-2), (20-9)
Longview (3-3), (13-10)
Texas High (3-3), (7-16)
Marshall (1-5), (5-16)
Pine Tree (1-5), (8-15)

Game 6
Hallsville beat Mount Pleasant 63-61 (4OT)
Sulphur Springs beat Texas High 74-48
Pine Tree beat Marshall 57-52
Longview- OFF

Hallsville and MP went toe-to-toe for FOUR overtimes Friday night before the Bobcats won it on a three point shot at the buzzer to seal the win.  The victory gives Hallsville sole possession of first place, while the loss drops MP into a second place tie with Sulphur Springs.    Longview and Texas High are tied for the fourth and final playoff spot.  Pine Tree got their first win in district with a victory over struggling Marshall.

-----------------------------------------

16-5A Girls Basketball Standings
Huntsville (5-0), (19-8)
Tyler (3-2), (16-12)
Lufkin (3-2), (14-8)
Whitehouse (3-2), (13-12)
Nacogdoches (1-4), (8-21)
Jacksonville (0-5), (8-16)

Game 5
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 42-11
Whitehouse beat Tyler  52-39
Huntsville beat Jacksonville 47-44

Whitehouse got the upset of the night with their win over Tyler, which formed a three way tie for second place.  Tyler, Lufkin, and WH are all (3-2) in district play.  Huntsville survived a scare from Jacksonville, but got the win to retain their two game lead for first.  Lufkin blasted Nac, holding the Lady Dragons to 11 points on the night.  Jacksonville remains winless.

-------------

16-5A BoysBasketball Standings
Lufkin (3-0), (19-2)
Jacksonville (3-0), (20-4)
Huntsville (2-1), (9-8)
Tyler (1-2), (12-9)
Nacogdoches (0-3), (12-14)
Whitehouse (0-3), (5-18)

Game 3
Tyler beat Whitehouse 80-42
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 54-38
Jacksonville beat Huntsville 72-52

Jacksonville got the biggest win of the night with their big road victory at Huntsville.  The Indians remain unbeaten with Lufkin....while dropping the Hornets into third place.  Tyler got a much needed win over Whitehouse to keep themselves in the race.  Nac and Whitehouse are both still winless in district play.  

28 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

-------------

16-5A BoysBasketball Standings
Lufkin (3-0), (19-2)
Jacksonville (3-0), (20-4)
Huntsville (2-1), (9-8)
Tyler (1-2), (12-9)
Nacogdoches (0-3), (12-14)
Whitehouse (0-3), (5-18)

Game 3
Tyler beat Whitehouse 80-42
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 54-38
Jacksonville beat Huntsville 72-52

Jacksonville got the biggest win of the night with their big road victory at Huntsville.  The Indians remain unbeaten with Lufkin....while dropping the Hornets into third place.  Tyler got a much needed win over Whitehouse to keep themselves in the race.  Nac and Whitehouse are both still winless in district play.  

Just my observation about 16-5a, Jax and LP will fight it out for the District Title, Jax is very very good, their 3 guard rotation is very good.  LP has a good team but they shoot a lot of 3s, when u live by the 3 you die by the 3. LP has some very good shooters and two good big men for rebounds. They are by far the best 2 teams in the district. 

Tyler, Nac and Wh will fight it out for the 3 spot. Nac has had the virus running through the team for a month now. Between injuries and Covid they have not had a game with their entire team this entire season. They played last night with only 8 and 1 was a JV player. One tournament they played the entire tournament with only 7. 

Lufkin is now 25-3 on the season and 3-0 in district play.  Lufkin and Jacksonville may fight it out, but any slip up and Tyler High is right there.   Lufkin has a pretty good inside game and get on the boards well too, they don't mainly count on the three ball to get the job done.  Jacksonville has that big three that are a hard match up for most teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin is now 25-3 on the season and 3-0 in district play.  Lufkin and Jacksonville may fight it out, but any slip up and Tyler High is right there.   Lufkin has a pretty good inside game and get on the boards well too, they don't mainly count on the three ball to get the job done.  Jacksonville has that big three that are a hard match up for most teams.

Lufkin should be able to handle Jacksonville fairly easily. 

• Confused 1

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

The Maverick webpage has undergone a pretty massive update in the last few weeks.  New look.  Expanded coverage beyond football.  Added several other sports (Good, bad, and ugly).

2021 was a TOP FIVE season for the webpage for number of daily and total visits.  Only 2004, 2005, 2009, 2015, and 2018 were higher.  SOOOOO APPRECIATIVE!

Baseball, Volleyball, and Football gave us plenty to cheer about in 2021.

Made a few other changes.........

I had to bring in a new FAN FORUM due to a change in services.  I hate I lost all the great content people posted last year.  UGH.  Plus..... the message board had gotten pretty busy again.  Hopefully people will come back.  It was fun.

I've temporarily taken down the FACILITIES tab because I have a TON of photo updates I need to get taken.  NONE of our facilites look anything like they did 2 just years ago.  Need to update Mav Gym, Athletic Center,  Maverick Field, Lady Mav field, and Maverick Stadium.  Not to mention the new covered pavilion.  I hope to have it back up and running in the next few weeks.

Always open to suggestions. 

Thanks again for the last year..... it was great.  Best is yet to come.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

The Maverick webpage has undergone a pretty massive update in the last few weeks.  New look.  Expanded coverage beyond football.  Added several other sports (Good, bad, and ugly).

2021 was a TOP FIVE season for the webpage for number of daily and total visits.  Only 2004, 2005, 2009, 2015, and 2018 were higher.  SOOOOO APPRECIATIVE!

Baseball, Volleyball, and Football gave us plenty to cheer about in 2021.

Made a few other changes.........

I had to bring in a new FAN FORUM due to a change in services.  I hate I lost all the great content people posted last year.  UGH.  Plus..... the message board had gotten pretty busy again.  Hopefully people will come back.  It was fun.

I've temporarily taken down the FACILITIES tab because I have a TON of photo updates I need to get taken.  NONE of our facilites look anything like they did 2 just years ago.  Need to update Mav Gym, Athletic Center,  Maverick Field, Lady Mav field, and Maverick Stadium.  Not to mention the new covered pavilion.  I hope to have it back up and running in the next few weeks.

Always open to suggestions. 

Thanks again for the last year..... it was great.  Best is yet to come.

Mavchamp, I greatly appreciate all of the hard work that you put in, not only for Marshall athletics, but for all of the East Texas 5A schools!! I am a retired teacher/coach who worked both in the Longview and Hallsville ISD's that now lives in Austin. I have a few ways to keep up with what's going on in East Texas but you are definitely the #1 source I go to for all 5A news in East Texas!! Thanks for all of your hard work!!!

• Like 2

Lady Mavs win on the road tonight at SS 48-41. 

Overcame a slow start, a hot three shooting SS team, some home-cooking and a hostile environment. 

They are 7-1 in district play headed into Friday.