2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

Yes! Houston Madison. No one gave Lufkin a chance. Of course, no one REALLY gave Lufkin a chance against the powerful Dunbar team. What a team, I can’t tell you how good Ronnie Blake was for Lufkin.

One other little sidenote about that 1978–79 Lufkin team. They played in the ‘Jacksonville Jaycee basketball tournament in December over the holidays. Lufkin did not win the tournament, Nacogdoches did, led by Alan Johnston, who went on to have a pretty good coaching career at various places in East Texas. Alan was MVP of the tournament. 

OK, there’s your history lesson for the day, LOL! Go Panthers! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes! Houston Madison. No one gave Lufkin a chance. Of course, no one REALLY gave Lufkin a chance against the powerful Dunbar team. What a team, I can’t tell you how good Ronnie Blake was for Lufkin.

One other little sidenote about that 1978–79 Lufkin team. They played in the ‘Jacksonville Jaycee basketball tournament in December over the holidays. Lufkin did not win the tournament, Nacogdoches did, led by Alan Johnston, who went on to have a pretty good coaching career at various places in East Texas. Alan was MVP of the tournament. 

OK, there’s your history lesson for the day, LOL! Go Panthers! 

The Alan Johnston who coached at Chapel Hill and Lee. He was balling like than back in the day.

Lufkin goes down 72-44. Way overmatched. We turned the ball over more tonight than the rest of the playoffs combined it seemed. 

18-14 kimball after 1 

40-26 Kimball at half 

62-37 Kimball after 3 

72-44 Final. 

Proud of The Pack for a great season. 

Mount Pleasant knocks off Longview boys, 3-0, in Longview.

MP keeper played out of his mind, and Tigers took advantage of the chances they had.

Scoreline shows a blow out but game was nothing of the sort.

Congrats Tigers on a great W.

BOYS
15-5A
XMount Pleasant (15-3-4, 9-0-1) - 28 pts
XLongview (14-3-3, 7-1-1) - 23 pts
Sulphur Springs (6-14-3, 5-5-0) - 15 pts
Hallsville (6-9-4, 4-5-0) - 12 pts
Pine Tree (6-8-2, 3-5-1) - 10 pts
Marshall (4-13-2, 2-5-1) - 8 pts
Texas High (6-10-0, 1-9-0) - 3 pts

Hallsville won 3-1 over Texas High
Mount Pleasant won 3-0 over Longview
Sulphur Springs won 3-1 over Marshall
Pine Tree - BYE

16-5A
XWhitehouse (13-4-3, 5-2-2) - 19 pts
XJacksonville (12-5-3, 4-3-2) - 18 pts
Tyler (6-11-3, 4-3-2) - 15 pts
Nacogdoches (9-5-4, 2-1-6) - 14 pts
Lufkin (10-5-7, 3-3-2) - 13 pts
Huntsville (4-12-4, 0-8-1) - 2 pts

Jacksonville won 2-0 over Huntsville
Lufkin won a shootout over Nacogdoches over tying 0-0
Tyler won 4-1 over Whitehouse

NOTES -
15-5A: A district champion was all but sealed on Friday night as the Tigers came in and defeated Longview in Longview by a ridiculous 3-0 scoreline. The game was much closer than that score but the Tigers took the chances and relied on the heroics of their fantastic keeper to shut out the Lobos. The Tigers just need to win their final 2 games to lock up top spot and the district crown. Sulphur Springs and Hallsville both kept pace in the playoff race, jumping Pine Tree. Marshall's playoff hopes are on life support, especially knowing they still hve to face the Lobos and Tigers. I'm not sure what would happen in the case that Hallsville and Sulphur Springs tie on points, but I'm going to assume it'll come down to goal differential.

16-5A:
The upset of the season saw Tyler dominate top ranked Whitehouse by a 4-1 scoreline, to throw the district championship into a bit of a mystery as we head into the final week of the season. Jacksonville kept pace winning 2-0 over low Huntsville, and Lufkin kept their season alive with a shootout win over the Dragons, though the shootout keeps the Panthers on the outside looking in by a single point. In the final week, we'll get Jacksonville traveling to Lufkin, Nacogdoches traveling to Whitehouse and Tyler traveling to Huntsville. Whitehouse will finish either 1st or 2nd. Jacksonville could finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Tyler could finish 2nd or all the way down to 5th. Nacogdoches and Lufkin can only finish between the 3 and 5th place spots.

GIRLS
15-5A
XLongview (17-2-1, 9-0-0) - 27 pts
Hallsville (16-2-0, 8-2-0) - 21 pts
Pine Tree (10-6-1, 5-4-0) - 15 pts
Mount Pleasant (12-7-0, 5-5-0) - 15 pts
Texas High (10-6-1, 5-5-0) - 15 pts
Sulphur Springs (4-12-2, 1-8-0) - 3 pts
Marshall (2-13-0, 0-8-0) - 0 pts

Longview won 2-1 in overtime over Mount Pleasant
Hallsville won 2-1 over Texas High
Missing Marshall/Sulphur Springs score
Pine Tree - BYE

16-5A
XJacksonville (13-3-2, 8-0-1) - 26 pts
XLufkin (9-12-1, 6-2-1) - 19 pts
XWhitehouse (6-10-1, 5-3-2) - 17 pts
XNacogodches (8-9-3, 4-5-1) - 14 pts
Tyler (4-14-1, 1-7-1) - 4 pts
Huntsville (4-13-2, 0-8-1) - 1 pt

Jacksonville won 2-0 over Huntsville
Nacogdoches won 1-0 over Lufkin
Whitehouse won 2-0 over Tyler

** Missing shootout winner of Lufkin/Whitehouse from 1st round **

NOTES -
15-5A: We're missing a lot of information especially with three teams tied at 15 points. Regardless, Longview clinched the district championship with a 2-1 overtime victory over Mount Pleasant on Friday night. We're missing both the Hallsville/Texas High and Marshall/Sulphur Springs scorelines. The Marshall/Sulphur Springs one doesn't even matter at this point but the Hallsville/Texas High one definitely is a massive one, especially since it could see Texas High climb as high as 2nd (even for just a short time).
Edit: Hallsville defeated Texas High, 2-1, on Friday.

16-5A: Jacksonville has clinched the district crown with a 2-0 victory over Huntsville. Nacogdoches got a massive 1-0 win over the Lady Panthers. So things will come down to Whitehouse and Nacogdoches for 3rd and 4th, and what that means for Lufkin. Nacogdoches will host the LadyCats in the final regular season game of the season. The question really is if it means anything overall. We know Jacksonville is locked in. We're missing the scoreline of the Tyler/Whitehouse game from last night. But, assuming the Ladycats took care of business, that would put them 2 points behind Lufkin for 2nd. It also comes into play, that we have no idea who won the shootout between Lufkin and Whitehouse in the 1st round, so the Ladycats could be as close as 1 point behind...and knowing Lufkin has to travel to district champion Jacksonville in the final week of the season, you can see how we don't know much about the final seeding. Jacksonville will be top, Lufkin could be 2nd or 3rd, Whitehouse could be 2nd, 3rd or 4th and Nacogdoches could be 3rd or 4th.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VonG said:

We just can't win in basketball. 

those city schools are have some crazy talent.   Desoto girls have 7 High level Div.1 signees.  That's crazy. 

Still much respect to LP/SS/MP for this yr.  If you are going 4 rounds deep, then you are doing something right.  

• Like 3

Marshall Mav and Lady Mavs swept the Gilmer Relays yesterday.... both coming away with first place finishes.

Coach Hagaerty making an impact on both programs almost immediately.  Especially the ladies.  They had been on a downward trend and he's shown HUGE improvement for the Lady Mavs.

Mavs are off too a great start too.

The district meet should be a good one between Longview, Marshall, and Hallsville.  So far.... those three have had the best starts to the season.  

Longview baseball is off to a 7-1 start, following a 3-1 weekend at the Border Battle Classic hosted by Texas High.

It's way, way early obviously but a little score comparison between the Lobos and Tigers...

Longview defeated Fort Smith Northside, 5-4. Tigers defeated the Grizzlies, 3-1.
Longview defeated Arkansas High, 10-1. Tigers defeated the Razorbacks, 10-3.
Longview lost 5-3 to Camden Fairview. Tigers defeated the Cardinals, 7-3.
Longview defeated El Dorado, 8-2. Tigers lost to the Wildcats, I believe 3-1 or 3-2...but it was 3-0 heading into the last inning.

Should be a fun race.

Lady Lobo softball is 9-5-1 on the season, after a 5-0-1 weekend at the Rose City Softball Classic.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview baseball is off to a 7-1 start, following a 3-1 weekend at the Border Battle Classic hosted by Texas High.

How does this start compare historically? 

On 3/4/2022 at 7:52 AM, Matt said:

I remember the 1979 Lufkin state champion. I saw them beat Conroe in the playoffs at G Rollie White at A&M, I was a freshman that spring at A&M. ‘Ronnie Blake was absolutely amazing, 5 7” guard and all the Dipsy doodle moves around the bucket. He was actually as good a tennis player player, if I remember. The great Jesse Walker was the coach. What a team. They won so many 1 point and OT games to win it. I am going on pure memory here…didn’t they upset a heavily favored Houston team with 6 11” Greg Kite (Boston Celtics for years) in state game?

Good luck to the Panthers today. 

I was at the State Tournament in '79 and watching Blake and the Panthers was totally amazing. I had done my student teaching at Longview that year and helped Leroy Romines as an unpaid assistant. I knew how good Lufkin was and was laughing at the people around us at the Madison game who were saying that it would be a Madison blowout!! Lufkin beat Madison fairly easily then beat Dunbar at the buzzer on a Ronnie Blake fall away turn around jumper in the lane at the buzzer!! I will never forget that weekend! We saw several games come down to the buzzer!!!

2 hours ago, tomlandry said:

East Texas basketball just can't get over the hump. Seems like quality just isn't there compared to schools from DFW. Regional tournament and done has been the song for many ETX schools. 

That's how it will always be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ooRufusoo said:

Any other baseball scores from the weekend?  I would assume all these big teams went to play in some big tournaments. 

Hallsville I believe went 3-0 in Lufkin. not sure how many return from team that made it to state last year but would think hallsville is pretty talented again. Marshall I think went to the 3rd or 4th round last year? LV has a couple d1 guys . Kid playing center I think is Houston commit . Outside of Smith for Texas High (Louisiana Tech) not sure about pitching but good start so far . 

10 hours ago, LOL said:

How does this start compare historically? 

2021 started 9-1
2004 started 8-2
1996 started 9-2
1988 started 8-2
1982 started 9-2
1973 started 12-1
1971 started 10-1
1958 started 12-1
1948 started 9-0
1946 went 13-1 until the 2nd to final regular season game of the year.

Sad thing is most of those teams didn't even make the post season.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hoopscoach17 said:

I was at the State Tournament in '79 and watching Blake and the Panthers was totally amazing. I had done my student teaching at Longview that year and helped Leroy Romines as an unpaid assistant. I knew how good Lufkin was and was laughing at the people around us at the Madison game who were saying that it would be a Madison blowout!! Lufkin beat Madison fairly easily then beat Dunbar at the buzzer on a Ronnie Blake fall away turn around jumper in the lane at the buzzer!! I will never forget that weekend! We saw several games come down to the buzzer!!!

That’s awesome, yep, what a team! Blake was a freak. 

13 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

2021 started 9-1
2004 started 8-2
1996 started 9-2
1988 started 8-2
1982 started 9-2
1973 started 12-1
1971 started 10-1
1958 started 12-1
1948 started 9-0
1946 went 13-1 until the 2nd to final regular season game of the year.

Sad thing is most of those teams didn't even make the post season.

Let me know if you're gonna Tweet something about that. This is really cool history. 

• Like 1