The official Chris "Crash" Davis thread

Jump on over to the Seattle web site and check out Smoaks stats, he is tearing it up with a batting average of .186, which is LOWER than Davis' stunner of .189.....give Davis time, even Tex started a lil slow outta the gate for the skankees...Davis is hitting the ball hard and getting good at bats..I would rather him hit the ball on a line right at somebody than pop up to the infielders ala Smoak :texrangers:

Actually Smoak is batting a robust .205..but he also has 10 homeruns and 38 RBI..Davis? no dingers and a big ole 3 RBI

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Smoak is batting a robust .205..but he also has 10 homeruns and 38 RBI..Davis? no dingers and a big ole 3 RBI

Actually I was talking about his stats since he has been with the M's....not stats for the year combined with both clubs

Actually I was talking about his stats since he has been with the M's....not stats for the year combined with both clubs

and cliff lee had a 6.00 ERA after his first start which was again the lowly baltimore orioles and Texas lost Lee's first two starts..It's a little different when you switch teams and you are getting adjusted to a new club house. Davis has been here a few years and can't stay in the majors. That's all there is to it.

1B is not a defense first position. You dont have to have a ton of range or a rocket arm. You need to be able to drive in runs even at a low Avg. Ask everyteam in the majors what they would rather have...

An amazing defensive 1B with no bat or an average defensive 1B who can at least drive in runs. and unless they are loaded on offense the other 8 positions they will take more bat less defense at 1B

On a lesser team I would have to agree with you but, the Rangers are pretty loaded on offense. Put a mediocre glove at first base and see how long they last. I have nothing to back this up, but I believe the Ranger infielders are glad that Davis is back at first. They feel more confident with him there.

Anytime he gets a hit is just icing on the cake, which are I think going to happen soon.

In his stint with SEattle (and before last nights game), Smoak has struck out in exactly half of his at bats with them. He does have some hits and rbis, but he also has ZERO walks since going there. I would take a player putting the ball in play (as Davis is now) over strike-outs. Davis is not striking out nearly as much as he was before going down and has hit quite a few really really hard hits (that foul last night was a hard, long shot, just a little too far out) he will come around, whereas Smoak will always be a mediocre 1b.

JMHO..............

I love how consistantly the Davis supporters on here have this "Davis will come around, Smoak is going to continue to be bad" attitude, even though smoak is younger, has actually had a more successful overall season. If you are driving in more runs, getting on base more, have a better batting avg, better obp, then i'd say it doesn't matter if you are striking out more...which, lets get real, davis is still striking out. he had a 4 pitch AB yesterday which he never took the back off his shoulder. sorry but that's the TYPE of AB that davis continues to have. However, something good for davis is, he can do the splits...congrats :thumbsup:

I love how consistantly the Davis supporters on here have this "Davis will come around, Smoak is going to continue to be bad" attitude, even though smoak is younger, has actually had a more successful overall season. If you are driving in more runs, getting on base more, have a better batting avg, better obp, then i'd say it doesn't matter if you are striking out more...which, lets get real, davis is still striking out. he had a 4 pitch AB yesterday which he never took the back off his shoulder. sorry but that's the TYPE of AB that davis continues to have. However, something good for davis is, he can do the splits...congrats :thumbsup:

And yet Davis is the starting first baseman on the division leading Texas Rangers. Where is Smoak again?

And yet Davis is the starting first baseman on the division leading Texas Rangers. Where is Smoak again?

To be fair though, Smoak is gone because the M's demanded him, not because the Rangers were looking to unload him. If the Mariners would have wanted Davis instead of Smoak, your formula is reversed. Apparently the Mariners thought Smoak had more than Davis, and the Rangers held out to the last minute trying not to give him up.

Now that I am through being objective and fair, I hope Davis 'finds it" and has the best second half of the season in history. Regardless of how strong our line-up is, your 1st baseman needs to hit, and somedays it will be his turn to carry his struggling teammates. I hope he does it.

The only reason Cliff Lee is a Ranger for the rest of the year, is because the M's asked for Smoak to be included in the deal. Again, the Ranger's said no initially, and the deal died. The Yanks jump in, and the Ranger's kept Lee from the dreaded Yankees, by relenting on Smoak. "If" the Ranger's can sign Lee after the season ( I don't think they will personally) then this deal is great. If they lose Lee to the Yankees in FA like everyone expects, all of this is for naught, and we lose Smoak and are stuck with Davis until they trade him or send him back down. So, to answer your question, Smoak is in Seattle. Not his choice, or really the Ranger's, but to get a pitcher of Cliff Lee's stature and make a run this year, it HAD to be done. I wonder if the Ranger's offered Davis and the M's said no? Lol

You're kidding right...this is a weak post straw. You're better than this.

Weak? So Davis isn't the starting first baseman for the Rangers? The Smoak/Lee trade is a great trade for the Rangers. A proven commodity for an unproven one. Do you deny this was a great trade for the Rangers? They could have got a lot more for Lee than they did in my opinion. BTW, don't patronize me, I could care less what you think I could do. My opinion is as important to me as yours is to you.

If you are going to build a baseball team from scratch where do you start: Here is my first 5.

Pitcher

catcher

short stop

1st base

centerfield

With the minor exception of the pitcher, the rest are there for their importance on defense.

Weak? So Davis isn't the starting first baseman for the Rangers? The Smoak/Lee trade is a great trade for the Rangers. A proven commodity for an unproven one. Do you deny this was a great trade for the Rangers? They could have got a lot more for Lee than they did in my opinion. BTW, don't patronize me, I could care less what you think I could do. My opinion is as important to me as yours is to you.

He only starts for the first place rangers because smoak is gone. I was not saying your opinion is not important. But your post is like saying julio borbon is better than ichiro just because he plays for the first place rangers...but if you wish to take that route, then who was the first baseman for 75% of the games for those first place rangers? which first baseman contributed 8 homers and 34 RBI's?

I dont think its time to throw Davis away just yet. His defense should keep him around the rest of the season if we cant or dont upgrade before the trade deadline. If we can do some upgrading in the winter then fine. However, I think Chris will come around eventually, just gonna take some more time.

Any chance Smoak was kept on the team just to get him some big league AB's and to showcase him a little? Just a thought...

I dont think its time to throw Davis away just yet. His defense should keep him around the rest of the season if we cant or dont upgrade before the trade deadline. If we can do some upgrading in the winter then fine. However, I think Chris will come around eventually, just gonna take some more time.

Any chance Smoak was kept on the team just to get him some big league AB's and to showcase him a little? Just a thought...

I think its time to make a move for a first baseman that can hit for average and power.

Davis raised his AVG 20 points during this 4 game series. I don't think it will be long before y'all start to realize he is going to return to, then surpass his rookie season hype and performance. I promise y'all. He will be fine. I think he has the pop and skills to be equal to Cruz offensively and he's already better defensively. Y'all have convinced me that getting a temporary relief for him at first base to finish out the season is a smart move.....but I sure don't think he needs to be removed fromt the team. He's going to be a hot commodity. Mark McGuire had a .200 season at the plate once too, and he had ZERO defensive skill.

Wanna make comparisons ...

Smoak Davis

At the Ballpark in Arlington AVG (2010) .202 .289

Last 6 games .042 .333

Career batting average .203 .251

SOMEONE tell me why Smoak is a better hitter? He has yet to prove it

no one sid smoak is going to have a better career than chris davis...neither of them are playing well enough for that kind of talk...but fact is, smoak was having a more productive season at the point in which he was traded. It's not all that hard to lift your BA 20 points when you were batting .180. if he bats around .230 by the end of the season then that will mean he has had one heckuva 2nd half...i hope more than anyone that he does too.

no one sid smoak is going to have a better career than chris davis...neither of them are playing well enough for that kind of talk...but fact is, smoak was having a more productive season at the point in which he was traded. It's not all that hard to lift your BA 20 points when you were batting .180. if he bats around .230 by the end of the season then that will mean he has had one heckuva 2nd half...i hope more than anyone that he does too.

How much would he have to raise his AVG within a 4 game span for you to think he is improving? At this rate, he'll be over your .230 goal in a week or so.

How do you figure a more productive season when Davis is batting avergage is 87 points higher in their home ball park . I am not saying Davis is having a great or even a decent offensive year but Smoak is jus as bad offensively at this time. I find it amusing that all these people want to bash Davis have forgotten 2008 when all the talk was about how bright his future was

How do you figure a more productive season when Davis is batting avergage is 87 points higher in their home ball park . I am not saying Davis is having a great or even a decent offensive year but Smoak is jus as bad offensively at this time. I find it amusing that all these people want to bash Davis have forgotten 2008 when all the talk was about how bright his future was

because davis has like 3 RBI's and smoak had 34 lol goodness...that's how he was more productive. and congrats for his 2008 season, i'm glad that is helping us now......................right?

five0...1 or 2 good games have a bigger impact on your BA if you are batting in the .180's while only getting 1/2 the AB's...as opposed to someone who has been playing all year, batting in the .280's. simple statistics. but like i said...i hope more than anyone that he gets hot. i really hope this is the start to a streak for davis.

because davis has like 3 RBI's and smoak had 34 lol goodness...that's how he was more productive. and congrats for his 2008 season, i'm glad that is helping us now......................right?

five0...1 or 2 good games have a bigger impact on your BA if you are batting in the .180's while only getting 1/2 the AB's...as opposed to someone who has been playing all year, batting in the .280's. simple statistics. but like i said...i hope more than anyone that he gets hot. i really hope this is the start to a streak for davis.

And Davis is 6-18 in last 6 games while Smoak is 1-24 ...so what have you done lately?