The official Chris "Crash" Davis thread

five0...1 or 2 good games have a bigger impact on your BA if you are batting in the .180's while only getting 1/2 the AB's...as opposed to someone who has been playing all year, batting in the .280's. simple statistics. but like i said...i hope more than anyone that he gets hot. i really hope this is the start to a streak for davis.

First of all, he's had more than one or two good games since he's started swinging better. Thanks for not noticing though. Second, you didn't answer my question. How many points would he have to make his AVG jump before you would consider it improving? ....I'm also curious as to why you would think a .230 AVG would be par for him. His career AVG is already .250+. You should be jumping for joy since he is far exceeding your expectations.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, he's had more than one or two good games since he's started swinging better. Thanks for not noticing though. Second, you didn't answer my question. How many points would he have to make his AVG jump before you would consider it improving? ....I'm also curious as to why you would think a .230 AVG would be par for him. His career AVG is already .250+. You should be jumping for joy since he is far exceeding your expectations.

He has had two RBI and two multi hit games..so basically two good games...he does have a nice 4 game hit streak and 5 out of last 6...he also has still K'd a bunch..not quite as much as in past but still he is striking out alot

in that 4 game hit streak...5 strike outs in 11 AB..good thing is right now he either strikes out, or gets a hit with a walk or two sprinkled in

He still in 14 games had a strike out in 10 of em and in multi strike out games in two of them

so SOME improvement..but not alot to say oh yea Davis is coming around just quite yet

They probably make a medication to control your fascination with the strike out....lol, JK.

But for the record...I've understated his jump. In the past 5 games his AVG is up 31 points. In this span he is batting .333. His OBP is an even .400. Overall, he's had a 50 point jump in his OBP. now at .284. Other than never striking out, could he do anything to make you happy? I mean he's striking out at a lesser rate than Smoak, has a better AVG and OBP than Smoak, and yet you still bash Davis while you slobbered all over Smoak. I like the fact that he's improving with a slow consistant pace. Once he builds his base up, when he hits that hot streak, he's going to rake.

BTW...

Smoak has struck out 15 times in his past 10 games to go with 1 walk and 8 hits (5 of them in two games...consistant he is not). Like Davis or not, people have to admit that getting rid of Smoak was the best thing for the Rangers....at least for the time being.

Im not sold on Davis or Smoak. Granted I like Davis more out of the 2 cause he is very good defensively. I really think they might make a move soon on another 1st baseman. I want Prince Fielder!

pay more attention to what i am saying please...If his avg. gets up to .230ish THIS SEASON then that means he is hitting the ball better in this later part of the season. agreed? if he stays around .200 then that's nothing to be impressed about.

However, what i have been TRYING to say is that despite his avg. being about the same as davis', Smoak (AS A RANGER...please remember that...what he's doing now in seattle doesn't effect texas in anyway) was driving in runs better than davis. true or false? also, after 48 ABs before being sent down Davis was hitting .188 with 1 RBI. Since being called back up he is at 90 ABs total he is now batting .200 with 3 RBIs...so if that's a drastic improvement then i need to find a new sport to follow.

back to your question of how much does his avg have to jump...if you are 0-9 then you are batting .000, but if you get a hit in your 10th AB then you are batting .100. well your avg just jumped 100 points but is it impressive? no...the fact he was batting in the .180s doesnt make a 20 point jump impressive...SO if he gets back to that .230 range, then that is what i will call solid improvement.

btw, smoak may be struggling right now with the mariners, but he STILL has more RBIs with seattle than davis does all year. Adolf Rupp once said, "last time i checked, the game is won by putting the ball in the hoop, and i don't think that is going to change" well baseball is won by crossing the plate.......just sayin

They probably make a medication to control your fascination with the strike out....lol, JK.

But for the record...I've understated his jump. In the past 5 games his AVG is up 31 points. In this span he is batting .333. His OBP is an even .400. Overall, he's had a 50 point jump in his OBP. now at .284. Other than never striking out, could he do anything to make you happy? I mean he's striking out at a lesser rate than Smoak, has a better AVG and OBP than Smoak, and yet you still bash Davis while you slobbered all over Smoak. I like the fact that he's improving with a slow consistant pace. Once he builds his base up, when he hits that hot streak, he's going to rake.

BTW...

Smoak has struck out 15 times in his past 10 games to go with 1 walk and 8 hits (5 of them in two games...consistant he is not). Like Davis or not, people have to admit that getting rid of Smoak was the best thing for the Rangers....at least for the time being.

Strike outs are the worst offensive killer besides double plays..simple as that..factor that in with a terrible avg and walk tendency it means you have a guy that does not get hits, does not have power and does not help the team by moving runners because he is striking out that much

Yes right now in less at bats he has a btter avg..of course an ofer right now will slide that average down 20 points just like that. Smoak still drove the ball better walked more and had power. And I am not a Smoak is the guy of the future, just IMO he was better than Davis right now.

For people griping about Davis not driving in runs, um he was on base in every game this past series. A lot of times he would get something started in the inning, and he was driven home for a total of one time. He's not the only Ranger not driving in runs either, look at Vlad, he's been worse than Davis.

For people griping about Davis not driving in runs, um he was on base in every game this past series. A lot of times he would get something started in the inning, and he was driven home for a total of one time. He's not the only Ranger not driving in runs either, look at Vlad, he's been worse than Davis.

lol yea...he's just 3rd in the major leagues in RBIs...vlad is going through a slump right now and you KNOW he will come out of it because he is vlad.

My point was you can't point fingers at one guy for not driving in runs. If no one is on base in front of you, you can't do it, and you can't score once you're on base if the guys behind don't get on.

This leaving runners in scoring position nearly every inning just won't cut it.

My point was you can't point fingers at one guy for not driving in runs. If no one is on base in front of you, you can't do it, and you can't score once you're on base if the guys behind don't get on.

This leaving runners in scoring position nearly every inning just won't cut it.

the rangers have the 2nd best batting avg in the majors and lead the league in hits...in other words, guys are gettin on base.

It's not about pointing fingers. It's about Chris Davis not getting the job done right now. He may come around and i hope he does. but this year, and last year, he just hasn't done well enough to be an everyday 1st baseman in the MLB.

Strike outs are the worst offensive killer besides double plays..simple as that..factor that in with a terrible avg and walk tendency it means you have a guy that does not get hits, does not have power and does not help the team by moving runners because he is striking out that much

Yes right now in less at bats he has a btter avg..of course an ofer right now will slide that average down 20 points just like that. Smoak still drove the ball better walked more and had power. And I am not a Smoak is the guy of the future, just IMO he was better than Davis right now.

...then you are just denying facts and there's nothing I can do to change that. Also, to say that Davis doesn't have power means that you haven't watched him play the past couple of years.

...then you are just denying facts and there's nothing I can do to change that. Also, to say that Davis doesn't have power means that you haven't watched him play the past couple of years.

What facts? That Smoak has drove in more runs had more home runs has a better RISP average by 126 points has a better RISP w/2outs by over 240 points

..so exactly what facts are you talking about? Even with Smoak's major slump since the trade he has a higher average..OPB..SLG and OPS.

So please show me what facts I am denying

And RIGHT NOW Davis has not shown a power stroke. PeRIOD that cannot be argued..you can say well in 2008 he did this or last year 2nd half he did this..but as of RIGHT NOW He is not a producer in anyway. I HOPE he does show the 2008 form and start hitting like that, but since that great rookie season he has gotten progressvley worse. We will see if he comes around

What facts? That Smoak has drove in more runs had more home runs has a better RISP average by 126 points has a better RISP w/2outs by over 240 points

..so exactly what facts are you talking about? Even with Smoak's major slump since the trade he has a higher average..OPB..SLG and OPS.

So please show me what facts I am denying

And RIGHT NOW Davis has not shown a power stroke. PeRIOD that cannot be argued..you can say well in 2008 he did this or last year 2nd half he did this..but as of RIGHT NOW He is not a producer in anyway. I HOPE he does show the 2008 form and start hitting like that, but since that great rookie season he has gotten progressvley worse. We will see if he comes around

1) The facts: Davis' major league AVG is about 50 points higher than Smaok's and has enough homeruns to call that stat a wash between the two of them. You're only using the numbers Davis has through a small sample of at bats this year. Davis has shown the capability, Smoak hasn't. I have facts to show that Davis can hit for a high AVG, hit a lot of homeruns, and drive in a lot of RBIs. Smaok has shown that he can have 2 good games in a row, but then be cold for 10 straight games where he does nothign but strikeout and pop out. That's all he's shown so far. That and the fact that he couldn't outrun my Granny to first base on a hit.

2) Analogy: If a man made 10 million dollars in 2008, lost his job in 2009, then began trying to earn money again in 2010 but was having trouble finding a job, he is still a millionaire.

The fact that he isn't getting loft on the ball does not mean he is weak. The power is there, but if you'll notice, he's hitting more line drives. He's almost brought the outfield wall down on a couple of shots.

As for Smoak's numbers....How come it's not about the strikeouts for him. You've pretty much said yourself that even when Davis is hot, he strikes out too much. Why does that not apply to Smoak? You can say all day that you're weren't a "Smoak is a guy of the future" kind of guy, but your coddling of him, and dismissal of his mighty strikeout rate, shows how you really feel. He can do no wrong in your eyes. When Davis' AVG is higher than Smoak's (which 1 more hit should do it) and he has driven in more runs than Smoak, you will make up another reason to glorify Smoak. Because it can't be strikeouts because he's on a pace to be head and shoulders above Davis in that category as it is right now.

still stunk it up in the first half.....had 150 k's in 118 games...just sayin

You said he proved he couldn't be good enough to be an every day first baseman. Don't pick and choose the numbers to prove your point. He's had 2 bad halves and 2 good halves. His good halves have come in the second half of each season. Lets see how this season unfolds. He may very well be able to cary this team once he settles down and produces like he has shown he can do.

OMG, are we STILL arguing about this? Smoak is gone, and Chris Davis is the 1st baseman. The Ranger's are in 1st place.

I'm not the biggest Chris Davis fan, but the entire offense has'nt been doing well, and the pitching has carried us. The offense will come around. Lets debate 1st base if or when the Ranger's aquire someone else. They are WINNING games regardless.

OMG, are we STILL arguing about this? Smoak is gone, and Chris Davis is the 1st baseman. The Ranger's are in 1st place.

I'm not the biggest Chris Davis fan, but the entire offense has'nt been doing well, and the pitching has carried us. The offense will come around. Lets debate 1st base if or when the Ranger's aquire someone else. They are WINNING games regardless.

I agree with you...but as long as they continue bashing our first baseman, I'm going to continue to defend him.

I agree with you...but as long as they continue bashing our first baseman, I'm going to continue to defend him.

Except when that 1B was Smoak, then u were leading the bashing charge..and this thread orginally had NOTHING to do with Smoak, it was a former player giving his thoughts on why Davis has struggled.

Except when that 1B was Smoak, then u were leading the bashing charge..and this thread orginally had NOTHING to do with Smoak, it was a former player giving his thoughts on why Davis has struggled.

Well....yeah. But why is this about me now? lol

You're right though. I'm tired of talking about it myself. Peace?