The official Chris "Crash" Davis thread

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good is Napoli's defense @ 1st? Other than a low AVG, he seems like he would be tempting to start the season at 1st. Moreland has one career homerun against lefties and an equally unimpressive AVG, SLG, OBP, and OPS against them. It'll be moot though if he continues like he has so far. I wish we could get more televised ST games.

Moreland will definitely struggle at times, heck the kid was just brought up last July. The Rangers have made it plain that Napoli and Young will see most of their time at 1st against lefties. If Moreland didn't have some struggles now THAT would be a story. The delemma for the Rangers is; how does he get good against left handers if he doesn't get many AB's against them? Luckily his homerun against a lefty last year was in our only WS win.

On the subject of stats, why Davis would decide to complain with his average for the last 2 seasons being .227 is beyond me. I hope it is just frustration with himself being projected onto other targets. I hope he has a great career and someday has the confidence to say, at least to himself, "why did I say THAT?". Time will tell and he and Moreland could both be all time greats or just sidenotes in baseball history.

"I just want to be in the big leagues, whether it's here or somewhere else," Davis said. "In all fairness, I've done everything the Rangers have asked me to do. I've been a good sport about it. I've had a smile on my face and a good attitude about it. When it comes down to it, the fair thing to do is to give me a shot either here or somewhere else."

"I'm fighting for a job, whether it's with this team or another organization," Davis said. "My job every day is to go out there and open a pair of eyes and make somebody say, 'Hey, maybe we could use Chris Davis on our team.' I think I've been doing a pretty good job of that lately."

From the link in the first post....these are the only 2 quotes by Davis in the entire article....for those who have yet to read it.

"When it comes down to it, the fair thing to do is to give me a shot either here or somewhere else."

While this is short of a demand, telling the Rangers what "the fair thing to do is" after a .227 BA for the last 2 seasons is a little presumptuous on his part. I still think he is frustrated with himself and expressing it very poorly. It is not Moreland's fault that Chris was sent down for lack of performance. If Chris shows his value somewhere other than Suprise, he will get what is "fair".

I didn't get the impression that he was blaming Moreland or anything, but I agree that he needs to perform in the bigs because as it is now, he doesn't have much of a platform to stand on. This problem is of his own making.

For those who don't know, the Rangers are on TV right now. Thank you, Dish Network.

In the spirit of the thread, Moreland and Davis go with back to back doubles in the 2nd.

Beltre's calf looks fine as he is 2 for 2 with a 3 run bomb.

I didn't get the impression that he was blaming Moreland or anything, but I agree that he needs to perform in the bigs because as it is now, he doesn't have much of a platform to stand on. This problem is of his own making.

5-0, I think we are both Davis fans and want him to do well but....

He is in a conundrum and I agree it was his own performance the last 2 seasons that caused it.

He is in spring training, competing for a spot. I believe Davis thinks this is the case and is the source of his frustration.

He cannot appropriately compete for a spot, according to most, until he faces live MLB pitching over the course of the regular season.

No matter what he does this spring, there is a really good chance he will start the season in AAA, where he cannot do anything to prove he has improved.

It seems that his only shot at ever redeeming himself will involve injuries or hideous performances by those ahead of him. As a Ranger fan and someone who watched Davis hit the longest high school HR I have ever seen (against my alma mater), it will take an unfortunate set of circumstances for him to ever get another shot.

Actually the Rangers are in a conundrum over Davis. He is absolutely crushing the ball in Spring Training and his defense, as usual is amazing. Right now, there is no spot on this team for him, yet how do the Rangers either send him to AAA or trade him when his potential is so high and he is performing so well and his defense at 1st is better than any of the other 3 options they have (Moreland, Young, Napoli) So, what do they do with him? I really don't want him going to a team we have to play and him showing that this is the year he got it together--he will kill our pitching! But then, what if it isn't the year? Dang, s u c k s to be Jon Daniels on this one! :)

Actually the Rangers are in a conundrum over Davis. He is absolutely crushing the ball in Spring Training and his defense, as usual is amazing. Right now, there is no spot on this team for him, yet how do the Rangers either send him to AAA or trade him when his potential is so high and he is performing so well and his defense at 1st is better than any of the other 3 options they have (Moreland, Young, Napoli) So, what do they do with him? I really don't want him going to a team we have to play and him showing that this is the year he got it together--he will kill our pitching! But then, what if it isn't the year? Dang, s u c k s to be Jon Daniels on this one! :)

It's a no brainer. Send him back to AAA to rake on that pitching until trade deadline and use him to acquire that #1 starter.

5-0, I think we are both Davis fans and want him to do well but....

He is in a conundrum and I agree it was his own performance the last 2 seasons that caused it.

He is in spring training, competing for a spot. I believe Davis thinks this is the case and is the source of his frustration.

He cannot appropriately compete for a spot, according to most, until he faces live MLB pitching over the course of the regular season.

No matter what he does this spring, there is a really good chance he will start the season in AAA, where he cannot do anything to prove he has improved.

It seems that his only shot at ever redeeming himself will involve injuries or hideous performances by those ahead of him. As a Ranger fan and someone who watched Davis hit the longest high school HR I have ever seen (against my alma mater), it will take an unfortunate set of circumstances for him to ever get another shot.

Yeah, it's a tough spot to be in. I can understand his frustration, but he needs to keep it to himself or the GM's office.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, in my opinion, if I'm Chris Davis, it's about time that he asks to be traded to a team that will appreciate his hard work ethics and hard work efforts. Yes, he has struggled, but we all have at some point.......but we all get better with practice, and Chris Davis has shown that he has what it takes to make it in the Majors. During spring training, he rose to the challenge and did what he was asked to do, and he has proven himself to be one of the best hitters on the Ranger roster, and what does he get for his efforts........a trip back down to the minors because some front office flake has decided that he isn't worthy of being on the starting roster for opening day against the Boston Red Sox. Enough is enough people. To the Ranger front office, either put him on the Ranger roster, or let him go to a team that will appreciate what he has to offer.

Hmmmmm. Exactly WHO do you suggest he replace on the roster? Micheal Young? Mitch Moreland? Napoli? Everyone that made the team is better than him. I wish he would ask for a trade (kinda has already). He hasn't done anything in his career to be demanding anything. I'm certain there are clubs out there that could use his services (Oakland could use his bat)but what do they have to offer the Rangers? They aren't gonna trade anything valuable straightup. My guess is he'll be in AAA for awhile unless someone gets injured, and then be part of a trade package later in the season.

Ok, in my opinion, if I'm Chris Davis, it's about time that he asks to be traded to a team that will appreciate his hard work ethics and hard work efforts. Yes, he has struggled, but we all have at some point.......but we all get better with practice, and Chris Davis has shown that he has what it takes to make it in the Majors. During spring training, he rose to the challenge and did what he was asked to do, and he has proven himself to be one of the best hitters on the Ranger roster, and what does he get for his efforts........a trip back down to the minors because some front office flake has decided that he isn't worthy of being on the starting roster for opening day against the Boston Red Sox. Enough is enough people. To the Ranger front office, either put him on the Ranger roster, or let him go to a team that will appreciate what he has to offer.

So you think ONE spring should override two seasons of bad hitting? While I do think Davis has MAYBE improved there is simply not a spot on the roster right now. And he has not proven he is one of the best hitters by any stretch, he proved that for one month agianst more than a few minor league pitchers he was good.

IMO all he did this spring was show yes he MIGHT be servicable but nowhere close to being on the roster at this point

Davis is one of my favorites. I think everyone here already knows that, but until he shows that he can repeat and improve on his rookie season and make people forget the last two seasons, he should not be considered for the bigs yet. That being said, Borbon hasn't shown anything in the bigs either, yet he has had his starting position guarenteed to him on a silver platter in no uncertain terms. He doesn't have to produce or play good defense. All he has to do is show up for the games on time. He's golden and I can only scratch my head and wonder why. I can't argue for Davis anymore and can only wait and see what opportunities will come up for him. However, Borbon's permanent dazed and confused face will always be front and center on our screens.

Yeah. That's pretty good, except for the OBP. So what's happened to him this year? You don't just forget how to catch or what base you should throw to. He certainly hasn't done anything that should guarentee a starting position. Heck...Murphy runs the bases much better than him and his speed is not even close to Bobon's. I guess he just goes brain dead too often for my liking.

Panther, Davis is an East Texas product and we all wish him the best. However, his problem is not the "Evil Ungrateful Rangers who are out to get him". His problem was hitting .227 for the last 2 seasons. The Rangers gave him the opening day job at 1st base last year and he couldn't hold on to it.

Chris had a very good spring, hitting .362 and showing power. Unfortunately for Chris, the guy he was chasing, Moreland, hit .403 with 9 doubles and 4 homers. If you were the Rangers and were truly objective about it, who would you pick? Even though Chris had a good spring, he had the bad luck of being behind out of the gate and the other horse outrunning him from there. That's nobodies fault, just the way it is.

Even through his frustration Chris knows that the only reason he isn't the first baseman is his lack of performance. If he continues to show well in AAA, he will get his chance, here or somewhere else. Life is a marathon, not a sprint, and he just has to be consistently good and things will come his way.

Davis is one of my favorites. I think everyone here already knows that, but until he shows that he can repeat and improve on his rookie season and make people forget the last two seasons, he should not be considered for the bigs yet. That being said, Borbon hasn't shown anything in the bigs either, yet he has had his starting position guarenteed to him on a silver platter in no uncertain terms. He doesn't have to produce or play good defense. All he has to do is show up for the games on time. He's golden and I can only scratch my head and wonder why. I can't argue for Davis anymore and can only wait and see what opportunities will come up for him. However, Borbon's permanent dazed and confused face will always be front and center on our screens.

I agree 1000%. The only thing protecting Borbon is the lack of a capable replacement and a reluctance to let Josh Hamilton play CF.

• 3 months later...