The official Chris "Crash" Davis thread

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

When do the Rangers decide that Smoak's lack of production just won't cut it? .208, 8, and 34 in 64 games isn't cutting it. Although Chris got off to a bad start with the big club, he's hitting better than Smoak did in AAA. Chris is an upgrade defensively, and may strikeout more, but will provide more HR/RBI than Smoak will. Does anyone think we'll ever see Chris back up in a Rangers uni?

When do the Rangers decide that Smoak's lack of production just won't cut it? .208, 8, and 34 in 64 games isn't cutting it. Although Chris got off to a bad start with the big club, he's hitting better than Smoak did in AAA. Chris is an upgrade defensively, and may strikeout more, but will provide more HR/RBI than Smoak will. Does anyone think we'll ever see Chris back up in a Rangers uni?

Nope

IMO only way Davis is back with big club is if Smoak is used in a trade or he goes below .170.

For all the Davis is hitting good in AAA he is still striking out ALOT..60 times in 240 ABs in AAA..difference is he has more mistake pitches to hit. but he is still NOT walking and I dont think he actually has improved his hitting as much as the pitching is just not good enouigh at AAA level. I still think he is Jason Botts...cant be consistent enough at the Majors, but will kill bad pitching at AAA

comparison..Smoak had 50 ABS at AAA with 16 walks...Davis has taken nearly 200 more at bats to get 4 more walks.

SMOAK IS NOT GETTING BETTER AND WASHINGTON IS GETTING TIRED OF IT.LOOK FOR TEXAS TO TRADE FOR A 1ST BASEMAN REAL QUICK. BUT DAVIS IS BETTER THAN SMOAK. AT LEAST DAVIS WILL SWING AT 3RD STRIKE WHERE SMOAK JUST LOOKS AT IT

SMOAK IS NOT GETTING BETTER AND WASHINGTON IS GETTING TIRED OF IT.LOOK FOR TEXAS TO TRADE FOR A 1ST BASEMAN REAL QUICK. BUT DAVIS IS BETTER THAN SMOAK. AT LEAST DAVIS WILL SWING AT 3RD STRIKE WHERE SMOAK JUST LOOKS AT IT

Yeah, Davis swings at ball 4 too....

Chris Davis has 500+ Major League ABs over Smoak. Justin is only going to get better as he learns the pitchers and studies the game. Chris strikes out too much; he wasn't learning about the pitchers, they were learning about him. His stats got progressively worse with his time in Arlington.

Ramns03 is right about the local angle.

I am all far an "upgrade" via the trade route in a similar fashion that was done with Molina this week.

I think a significant addition is needed in pitching over firstbase however.

Ranger relievers have pitched a ton of innings in the first half and the second half's schedule is tougher with fewer off days.

Ramns03 is right about the local angle.

I am all far an "upgrade" via the trade route in a similar fashion that was done with Molina this week.

I think a significant addition is needed in pitching over firstbase however.

Ranger relievers have pitched a ton of innings in the first half and the second half's schedule is tougher with fewer off days.

I agree and would LOVE to see another starter brought in, but until the bankrupcy thing is settled, the Ranger's aren't allowed to add to payroll. Not sure how they would add a frontline starter to the mix without doing that. I think this is the team we will play with for the rest of the season....

This would not be an issue if Davis wasn't a local player, I'm glad he's made it to the big leagues, but don't add that bias to the equation.

No, this wouldn't be an issue if Smoak was ready for the Majors!

No, this wouldn't be an issue if Smoak was ready for the Majors!

The folks that matter (Daniels and Ryan) think he is, or are willing to let him mature at this level. They have both already said they like him and will stick with him, otherwise Davis would have already been brought back up by now.

I mentioned above, that the Ranger's are forbidden to add payroll until the bankrupcy and sale of the team is complete. ESPN is saying the Ranger's are seriously in the mix for Cliff Lee, and Lee's agent is also saying that a deal to the Rangers could happen, even with the bankrupcy fiasco, by saying " There are ways to get a deal done". If they could get healthy (pitchers) and add Cliff Lee....... :icon_eek:

The folks that matter (Daniels and Ryan) think he is, or are willing to let him mature at this level. They have both already said they like him and will stick with him, otherwise Davis would have already been brought back up by now.

I mentioned above, that the Ranger's are forbidden to add payroll until the bankrupcy and sale of the team is complete. ESPN is saying the Ranger's are seriously in the mix for Cliff Lee, and Lee's agent is also saying that a deal to the Rangers could happen, even with the bankrupcy fiasco, by saying " There are ways to get a deal done". If they could get healthy (pitchers) and add Cliff Lee....... :icon_eek:

It appears that they are wrong. You cannot hide from statistics. I could care less if Davis is brought up but to have little to no production from your overpaid first baseman that held out for more money is ridiculous!

It appears that they are wrong. You cannot hide from statistics. I could care less if Davis is brought up but to have little to no production from your overpaid first baseman that held out for more money is ridiculous!

Well.... you are correct from a statistical standpoint, they haven't got anything from their 1st basemen all year. However, if Nolan Ryan says they are willing to wait on him to mature, I'll take his word for it and that they KNOW what they are doing. Its easy to single out a rookie player thats struggling in a lineup like that, I think the Ranger's have bigger issues than that, like..... trying to get their pitchers healthy and finding another starter. Haren is a bust, Feldman needs to be sent down and the bullpen is already showing signs of being overused. If the Ranger's are gonna win the West and be taken seriously in the postseason, the pitching needs to be addressed 1st. Not everyone is a Smoak fan of course, and he's taking some lumps up this way as well from a few, but most like him at 1st over Davis. If C Davis is brought back up after the All Star game, and hits .300 or even .250, 10 or more HRs drives in his share of RBIs, that would be fantastic! My point is, he's been down in AAA for a loooong time now, something else is going on with him or Smoak or something.

Davis can play 3rd also, why not have him on the club as well to relieve or start and give Smoak or Young a rest from time to time. PH or whatever. For some reason, they prefer to have 3 2nd basemen with J Arias occassionally playing 1st and 3rd. Something else is going on..... not sure if the club have no more patience with Davis or what.....

Smoak'n'moirrors just ain't cutting it. He needs to go back until he's ready. Davis has shown he can do it. .285 rookie season, +.300 clip to end the 2009 season. He's shown the ability to adjust. Smoak is lost at the plate and is a liability defeinsively even though he has improved SOME in that area. The league has figured him out and he refuses...or can't....adjust.

Smoak'n'moirrors just ain't cutting it. He needs to go back until he's ready. Davis has shown he can do it. .285 rookie season, +.300 clip to end the 2009 season. He's shown the ability to adjust. Smoak is lost at the plate and is a liability defeinsively even though he has improved SOME in that area. The league has figured him out and he refuses...or can't....adjust.

No Davis has not shown the ability to adjust..he is still a strike out non walking machine in AAA..If adjusting means sucking last year then coming back and having an ok 2nd half, thn sucking agian this year enough to be sent down then your right he really has adjusted. Until Davis learns to be patient he is nothing more than a AAAA player..to good for AAA not consistent enough for the Majors

Now the good news is at one time Nelson Cruz was like that, so there is hope for Davis.

No Davis has not shown the ability to adjust..he is still a strike out non walking machine in AAA..If adjusting means sucking last year then coming back and having an ok 2nd half, thn sucking agian this year enough to be sent down then your right he really has adjusted. Until Davis learns to be patient he is nothing more than a AAAA player..to good for AAA not consistent enough for the Majors

Now the good news is at one time Nelson Cruz was like that, so there is hope for Davis.

Cruz is a great example. He tore up AAA and would be brought up, and struggle so bad he would be sent down again and again. He was nearly 30 before he "got it". Hopefully Davis will "get it" as well but to say he has "shown he can do it" is a far stretch. If he had, he would still be in Arlington.

Smoak is a struggling rookie with less than half a season in the majors. If we had a better option he probably would be well served to go back down for a while, but you can see that he will be a very good big league hitter at some point. At what point, who knows. If we can't financially do a deal for a starter because the bankruptcy isn't settled, look for a trade for a veteran first baseman.

Many on here were ready to send Borbon to the gallows in the very recent past, and he is holding his own at this time ( he still needs to learn to take a #@^&&* walk from time to time!!).

However the season ends, this team should get the award for "best performance by a club with one hand tied behind it's back by a greedy owner's decisions". Probably can't get all that on the trophy so just go with BPBACWOHTBIBBAGOD.

There are a lot of good hitters without patience. One of the best ever is with the Rangers now....Vlad. I'll take one Vlad over 10 Smoaks any day.

...and the reason Smoak was brought up so early and they won't send him down is because of his contract. If they had not done what they did, he would have been able to void his contract with the Rangers after 2012. Now they have him locked up, good or bad, until 2014. At least that was reported by a Rangers article when he was first brought up. It also made a lot of sense as to why Davis had no chance this year and Borbon was golden. Had Davis been kept here, he would have rebounded far faster and probably better than Borbon has.

I hope Smoak can do it. We need a presence at first. But if he does perform as well as his worshippers say he will, he's just going to be another Arod or Tex. We'll be paying him to play for another team somewhere else. Smoak has shown since he entered the draft that he is solely following the paycheck.

There are a lot of good hitters without patience. One of the best ever is with the Rangers now....Vlad. I'll take one Vlad over 10 Smoaks any day.

...and the reason Smoak was brought up so early and they won't send him down is because of his contract. If they had not done what they did, he would have been able to void his contract with the Rangers after 2012. Now they have him locked up, good or bad, until 2014. At least that was reported by a Rangers article when he was first brought up. It also made a lot of sense as to why Davis had no chance this year and Borbon was golden. Had Davis been kept here, he would have rebounded far faster and probably better than Borbon has.

I hope Smoak can do it. We need a presence at first. But if he does perform as well as his worshippers say he will, he's just going to be another Arod or Tex. We'll be paying him to play for another team somewhere else. Smoak has shown since he entered the draft that he is solely following the paycheck.

Vlad does NOT strike out..he has NEVER had a year where he struck out more than 95 times.

and I disagree about why Smoak was brought up. The longer they keep in him in minors the longer they have rights to him, but Davis WAS NOT produciing.

YOU and honestly ONLY YOU think Smoak is leaving, and I am not real sure WHY you think that except he waited till last moment to sign. He has NEVER said he wants to leave or even acted like he did not want to be in Texas..YOU have just decided since his agent and him made what is a VERY COMMON move to wait till last moment to sign that he is like A-Rod or Tex.

I guess your going to hate ANYone who signs later than RIGHT AWAY because YOU have decided they only want money

WHOA... WHOA... WHOA... There is absolutely NO comparison with Chris Davis and Vlad Guerrerro. Please stop know before you get yourself hurt.