The official Chris "Crash" Davis thread

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHOA... WHOA... WHOA... There is absolutely NO comparison with Chris Davis and Vlad Guerrerro. Please stop know before you get yourself hurt.

I was not comparing Davis to Vlad. I simply said Vlad was not a patient hitter. If you deny that, then your presence in a baseball thread is puzzling.

Vlad does NOT strike out..he has NEVER had a year where he struck out more than 95 times.

and I disagree about why Smoak was brought up. The longer they keep in him in minors the longer they have rights to him, but Davis WAS NOT produciing.

YOU and honestly ONLY YOU think Smoak is leaving, and I am not real sure WHY you think that except he waited till last moment to sign. He has NEVER said he wants to leave or even acted like he did not want to be in Texas..YOU have just decided since his agent and him made what is a VERY COMMON move to wait till last moment to sign that he is like A-Rod or Tex.

I guess your going to hate ANYone who signs later than RIGHT AWAY because YOU have decided they only want money

Can you show me where I said Vlad strikes out a lot? Don't bother. You can't.

Holding out on your team is not "very common" when it comes to a rookie being drafted. You only bow at his altar because you believe the hype and not the evidence. He wasn't even the best player on his high school team.

Can you show me where I said Vlad strikes out a lot? Don't bother. You can't.

Holding out on your team is not "very common" when it comes to a rookie being drafted. You only bow at his altar because you believe the hype and not the evidence. He wasn't even the best player on his high school team.

I never said you said Vlad strikes out alot..but you cant say oh wait Vlad is not patient trying to compare what him and Davis does....If Davis can start hitting .330 without walking, then bring him up! but he has shown he cant..he does not walk and he strikes out ALOT..and is still doing that in AAA, he has not improved at all in the minors.

and now you go to the your bowing at his altar..WRONG...I dont care of Smoak is up or not, I JUST DONT WANT DAVIS UP until he proves he has changed his approach to the plate. Would rather let someone like Smoak cut his teeth in the majors than watch Davis repeat the same thing he always does..has a few nice games in a row but he is NOT patient and is a K machine.

And yea actually it is alot more common for first rounders to sign later and later, YOU just have decided you dont like Smoak because he is replacing Davis so you picked a reason to dislike him.

The Smoak/Davis debate is the equivalent of arguing about who is taller, the dwarf or the midget?

I'm looking for a list of 2010 first round draft picks who have already signed........shouldn't that settle the "non-issue" as to the commonality of not signing right away?

I never said you said Vlad strikes out alot..but you cant say oh wait Vlad is not patient trying to compare what him and Davis does....If Davis can start hitting .330 without walking, then bring him up! but he has shown he cant..he does not walk and he strikes out ALOT..and is still doing that in AAA, he has not improved at all in the minors.

and now you go to the your bowing at his altar..WRONG...I dont care of Smoak is up or not, I JUST DONT WANT DAVIS UP until he proves he has changed his approach to the plate. Would rather let someone like Smoak cut his teeth in the majors than watch Davis repeat the same thing he always does..has a few nice games in a row but he is NOT patient and is a K machine.

And yea actually it is alot more common for first rounders to sign later and later, YOU just have decided you dont like Smoak because he is replacing Davis so you picked a reason to dislike him.

Then why don't I like other hold outs/paycheck chasers? Is that because of Davis too? Think about it, guy.

BTW...Smoak is not cutting his teeth. He's getting them knocked out. I'd rather see Arias. Right now he is a better option than the boy wonder with molasses feet.

This is major league baseball. You have to go with who has the hot hand. Smoak has never had a hot hand. Davis has. However, Im not saying Davis is the answer but you cant keep coddling baby Smoak in the hopes he grows up during a pennant run! You think the Yankees would keep Smoak in the lineup for this long?

This is major league baseball. You have to go with who has the hot hand. Smoak has never had a hot hand. Davis has. However, Im not saying Davis is the answer but you cant keep coddling baby Smoak in the hopes he grows up during a pennant run! You think the Yankees would keep Smoak in the lineup for this long?

Hard to say, but if he's all they had like it is for the Ranger's....then yeah. Nolan Ryan is the one "coddling" Smoak. I think HE knows more about the game, about Smoak and about whats in the best interest of the team more than folks on a message board. You guys don't have to agree or even like the decision to have Smoak on the team, but it's not for us to say.

Hard to say, but if he's all they had like it is for the Ranger's....then yeah. Nolan Ryan is the one "coddling" Smoak. I think HE knows more about the game, about Smoak and about whats in the best interest of the team more than folks on a message board. You guys don't have to agree or even like the decision to have Smoak on the team, but it's not for us to say.

Sure its for us to say. We pay for tickets and watch them on TV. Now whether Nolan listens or not is a different story. And I know plenty about the game. I know under .215 batting average is not good and doesn't help the team. I'm not saying get rid of him, I'm saying he is overwhelmed and right now he is not adjusting. He needs to be back in the minors where the pressure is not on him to perform at a higher level. Nolan has more to lose than me for making that kind of decision. Right now, he has lost my respect as a baseball decision maker. Love Nolan as a player but he has done nothing to impress me as a baseball GM/Coach/Owner/Consultant.

The team president is not the one who makes that call. It is the GM's call to move him in and it is Wash and Nolan's jobs to support that decision. Nolan is only doing what he is suppose to be doing.

Just so all you Smoak fans are aware -- Davis is tearing it up in AAA with a batting avg of over 350. Now translate that to the bigs and it drops to probably 250-270. Still better than Smoak and you get a better defensive player to boot. I just really don't understand this. I think they are leaving

Smoak up in order to use him as trade bait for a highly rated pitcher. Not sure if that is gonna work, considering his numbers, but it would explain why the other infielders get charged for his errors. I did hear a report from a Seattle announcer that the Mariners are very interested in Smoak and would be willing to talk about a Smoak and .... trade for Lee.

Just so all you Smoak fans are aware -- Davis is tearing it up in AAA with a batting avg of over 350. Now translate that to the bigs and it drops to probably 250-270. Still better than Smoak and you get a better defensive player to boot. I just really don't understand this. I think they are leaving

Smoak up in order to use him as trade bait for a highly rated pitcher. Not sure if that is gonna work, considering his numbers, but it would explain why the other infielders get charged for his errors. I did hear a report from a Seattle announcer that the Mariners are very interested in Smoak and would be willing to talk about a Smoak and .... trade for Lee.

Most trade talk about the Rangers acquiring a front line starter includes Smoak. One scenario said we would have to give Smoak, Holland, Salty and maybe one more player to get Lee. That is way too much for a 3 month rent-a-player. Of course some of that would be to help even out the money and have Seattle take on some of Lee's salary I believe.

Nolan hasn't lost any respect from me. I just look at where we were before he got involved, and where we are now.

And Davis is STILL striking out a ton and NOT walking in AAA..so yes he is tearing it up by killing weaker pitching. But if he is NOT going to translate it to less Ks and more walks he will come back up and struggle once again

If he was truly improved I do think he would be back up already

What do you think of a comparison between Chris Davis and Jay Buhner. I see some similarities between them. Either Buhner or Mickey Tettleton. High strikeout rates, but definitely an attribute to their team.

What do you think of a comparison between Chris Davis and Jay Buhner. I see some similarities between them. Either Buhner or Mickey Tettleton. High strikeout rates, but definitely an attribute to their team.

Bad comparison..Buhner and Tettleton both walked a TON..Buhner was top 10 in walks 4 times in his career...Tettelton was on the top 10 in walks 10 times and led the league twice and was 2nd 5 times...They struck out alot because they saw alot of pitches almost every count. So again you could live with their lowere average because of their power AND walks.

Bad comparison..Buhner and Tettleton both walked a TON..Buhner was top 10 in walks 4 times in his career...Tettelton was on the top 10 in walks 10 times and led the league twice and was 2nd 5 times...They struck out alot because they saw alot of pitches almost every count. So again you could live with their lowere average because of their power AND walks.

Not at this point in Davis's career. Buhner did not walk much at all his first 3 years. Look it up! Davis has walked more than Buhner in that span. For some reason you guys think Davis is old and has been playing for 10 years. Davis has already proven he can play major league baseball. Does he have flaws? You bet! But he has proven he can do it. Smoak, not so much!

Not at this point in Davis's career. Buhner did not walk much at all his first 3 years. Look it up! Davis has walked more than Buhner in that span. For some reason you guys think Davis is old and has been playing for 10 years. Davis has already proven he can play major league baseball. Does he have flaws? You bet! But he has proven he can do it. Smoak, not so much!

ok Buhner first year of at least 100 at bats he had 299 PA's with 28 walks..Davis had 20 walks in 317 PA's

2nd year Buhner had 219 PA's with 19 walks..Davis 419 PA's with 24 walks..so your right Davis walked more..it took two hundred more PA's to get the 5 extra walks, but he did walk more.

And I dont think Davis has PROVEN he can be a consitent MLB player..I think he has proven when he faces weaker pitching he will hit some homeruns..but his walks per PA are GOING DOWN while his K's are going up..there is a huge hole in his swing AND he does not walk enough..and that is still happening at the AAA level..difference is the pitching is weaker so he has better chance to hit mistake pitches.

And I dont think Davis has PROVEN he can be a consitent MLB player..I think he has proven when he faces weaker pitching he will hit some homeruns..but his walks per PA are GOING DOWN while his K's are going up..there is a huge hole in his swing AND he does not walk enough..and that is still happening at the AAA level..difference is the pitching is weaker so he has better chance to hit mistake pitches.

And Smoak has proven what again? That he can stand up there and not swing? Maybe he should bat leadoff!

And Smoak has proven what again? That he can stand up there and not swing? Maybe he should bat leadoff!

I never said Smoak would end up being better..I said he desrves the chance..if Smoak is not the answer until Davis shows he will improve do something else.

I never said Smoak would end up being better..I said he desrves the chance..if Smoak is not the answer until Davis shows he will improve do something else.

I agree that Smoak deserves a chance but he needs to be in AAA until he is ready. Im not saying Davis should be up either. Right now, first base is unproductive at the plate.