The official Chris "Crash" Davis thread

You said he proved he couldn't be good enough to be an every day first baseman. Don't pick and choose the numbers to prove your point. He's had 2 bad halves and 2 good halves. His good halves have come in the second half of each season. Lets see how this season unfolds. He may very well be able to cary this team once he settles down and produces like he has shown he can do.

how am i picking and choosing? i've said a number of times that we need a guy that can STAY in the majors...who doesn't get sent down, brought up, sent down, brought up..ect. I'll be fair then...i'll leave him alone for the rest of this season...he had a great half a year in '08, a bad half in '09, then a good half in '09 and i'm betting we can call '10 a bad half. so you have a full season of good and a full season of bad. so i'll leave it alone and we will see what he does the rest of this season/playoffs

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davis isn't doing a very good job now and I dont think he will in the future either... I saw him play all four games over the weekend and he looked like #### everytime he batted. Yea i know he got a couple of hits but c'mon Davis is the first baseman for one of the best hitting teams in the entire league...and he's batting 9 hole. The majors are no diff. than little league or high school in that your 7-9 hole hitters are going to see strikes. Five0 I know your going to jump on this but one at bat really turned me against him this weekend. He took 2 88mph.fastballs down the middle then swings at a breaking ball in the dirt. It was a terrible at bat with poor discipline and right now he looks like he has no plan when he steps in the box. K off my soap box... In conclusion pitching wins championships so go get Oswalt and leave Davis alone in the 9 hole.

If Davis was from Any other state in the United States or from any other country in the world, or from any other place in Texas, everyone on here would be begging for him to be traded or sent back down to AAA! Face facts Longview peeps, he is not a great player! He is not an everyday Firstbaseman and he shouldn't be one for a first place ballclub.

If Davis was from Any other state in the United States or from any other country in the world, or from any other place in Texas, everyone on here would be begging for him to be traded or sent back down to AAA! Face facts Longview peeps, he is not a great player! He is not an everyday Firstbaseman and he shouldn't be one for a first place ballclub.

But your reasoning is messed up. Nolan doesn't give a damn where Chris is from but yet he is still the starting first baseman for the Rangers.

But hey I dont have a dog in this fight, I'm a Rangers fan, not a "Crush" Davis fan like some of you are just because he is from Longview. I personally think he and Smoak both equally all around stink and hopefully soon will be watching the games from the stands. IMO

But your reasoning is messed up. Nolan doesn't give a #### where Chris is from but yet he is still the starting first baseman for the Rangers.

He's the starting firstbaseman because they don't have anyone else! Why do you think they are shopping for help? Do you really think that your man-"Crush" Chris Davis would start over Cantu or Wiggington? Really? He is starting out of necessity, not because he is good. So your reasoning is messed up my friend. Stop lying to yourself already.

He's the starting firstbaseman because they don't have anyone else! Why do you think they are shopping for help? Do you really think that your man-"Crush" Chris Davis would start over Cantu or Wiggington? Really? He is starting out of necessity, not because he is good. So your reasoning is messed up my friend. Stop lying to yourself already.

First off you need to go back and read all my post. Im all for getting a good first baseman. By not reading up on this thread you just made yourself look silly. Second, Im sure the Rangers could go get a firstbaseman immediately if they were so worried about Chris Davis. Take my advice and go reread my post and them you can apologize for your ignorance on this topic! Reading it will make you realize I have no man crush on anybody.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/08/2906697/texas-rangers-chris-davis-is-springing.html

He entered Tuesday's game hitting .435 (10 for 23) with four doubles and two homers in eight games. Moreover, he's been primarily a third baseman with Adrian Beltre out and has displayed the same quality defense he flashes regularly as a first baseman.

Perhaps most impressive, though, is that he's worried only about the things he can control and working to improve without worrying much about where he will wind up when camp breaks.

"I [saw] him in winter ball, and he went [opposite field] on us early and pulled one out late -- two homers in the game," a teammate said. "It seems to have carried over. He's really impressed me, especially at third base."

If he keeps this up does he make the team? Would he start over Moreland? Would you trade him while he still has value?

I say it will play itself out. Cruz was nearly 30 when it all finally "clicked" for him. Davis may have finally found the way to maintain consistency with his swing, and his defense has always been excellent. It will be a good problem for the Rangers to deal with. Moreland, as of a day ago, had the 2nd most RBIs on the team this spring and is mashing the ball as well. He also showed more confidence at the plate than a lot of the vets in the playoffs. I would always rather have trouble deciding who will play between two guys playing well than looking at the bench and asking "who could possibly be worse than who is out there now?".

I say it will play itself out. Cruz was nearly 30 when it all finally "clicked" for him. Davis may have finally found the way to maintain consistency with his swing, and his defense has always been excellent. It will be a good problem for the Rangers to deal with. Moreland, as of a day ago, had the 2nd most RBIs on the team this spring and is mashing the ball as well. He also showed more confidence at the plate than a lot of the vets in the playoffs. I would always rather have trouble deciding who will play between two guys playing well than looking at the bench and asking "who could possibly be worse than who is out there now?".

I totally agree, this is a GOOD problem for the rangers. I do believe he will start on the AAA team though. He plays ridiculous on defense, now that being said I only hope he can get his stick going consistently. I wish him luck and I hope to see him on the tv soon!

What you say is true. He's hammering the ball again, hopefully they haven't lost all confidence in him. Although I'm hesitant myself with him this year, I have to admit that he's looking much better in the box than Moreland so far. I'm watching the game right now and Moreland got an off-balance single earlier, but he looked suprised that he even made contact with it. I don't know if its just the fact that Kershaw just has his number or what, but he (Moreland) looked like he didn't have a clue out there. Davis is hitless (at least so far) but all of his at bats have been pretty good. Whether its Moreland or Davis that makes it, both need to improve from what they showed last year or the other will be more than willing to take their spot in the line-up back.

If Davis doesn't make the oening day line-up, he has a good shot of making it into the line-up at some point being that he is above average defensively at 3rd and 1st base. If Moreland bats .250 again, he could come in to replace him or if Beltre gets dinged up he come come up to replace him. We already know he's going to be hitting well enough in AAA....the only question will be if he can carry that up to the Bigs like he did in '08. Personally, I think if he doesn't do it this year that it will put off the management enough to cause them to lose any confidence they might have had in him. Either way, we have to assume for now that we're going to start the season again with a hole at 1st base.

Either way, we have to assume for now that we're going to start the season again with a hole at 1st base.

We don't have to assume we are starting with a hole at 1st base. As of a couple of days ago Moreland had the second most RBI's on the team in this spring training. He also hit extremely well in our playoff run. But for the sake of argument let's assume he struggles. There is a fella named Young who will be in the spot as well, and another named Napoli. If you project Napoli's numbers out over a full season he would be hitting about 35 homers a year. I will assume that we will be OK.

Back on topic, I hope Davis finally clicks and becomes consistent at the plate. However instead of complaining he should begin by saying he knows he played himself out of the job last year, and that would give him more credibility. If you want to be traded, you only decrease your trade value by yappin about it to the media (ask Michael Young). Hopefully he learns a little patience and realizes a great spring does not give you the right to demand anything.

Back on topic, I hope Davis finally clicks and becomes consistent at the plate. However instead of complaining he should begin by saying he knows he played himself out of the job last year, and that would give him more credibility. If you want to be traded, you only decrease your trade value by yappin about it to the media (ask Michael Young). Hopefully he learns a little patience and realizes a great spring does not give you the right to demand anything.

You're absolutely correct. You would think he would have learned a thing or two from Young's ordeal.

As far s Moreland's back-ups, you are right about that too....but with him being the starting 1st baseman he's the one who has to produce for now. If he doesn't, there's going to be a hole there. If he could play the entire season like he did in the 5 world series games where he had a run of 12 good at-bats, I would be more than happy. That's an awefully small sample, though. I like his RBI totals so far this spring, but he just looked lost against Kershaw. I've watched enough baseball however, to know that all batters have those pitchers that can just own them. I'm not panicking. I think he will be okay. I just hope he takes the next step in his career this season. Unlike Davis who absolutely blew it after his rookie year.

How good is Napoli's defense @ 1st? Other than a low AVG, he seems like he would be tempting to start the season at 1st. Moreland has one career homerun against lefties and an equally unimpressive AVG, SLG, OBP, and OPS against them. It'll be moot though if he continues like he has so far. I wish we could get more televised ST games.