Celina vs Paris

TCU44

Home team has won each game the last three years. Both had fantastic week 1 showings. Each team has a blow out win in ‘18 and ‘19 while Paris won an OT thriller in ‘20. We’ll see what 2021 has to offer. Fantastic measuring stick game for both teams. Give me Paris by a touchdown.

I’d say both of these teams are probably a good deal better than they were this time last year. Both are very experienced. Both have some stellar athletes. Both play pretty physical.

Paris didn’t have much success offensively last year against Celina, except for a late-game breakaway TD to tie things up. Then they won on a FG in OT. I’ll be curious to see how an even more seasoned Wildcats group and an athletic offensive line handles the Bobcats front, which is loaded with speed athleticism and strength.

Conversely, Celina didn’t do much offensively in this matchup last year either. If I remember, they kinda got a cheap TD early and then just tried to hold on. Of course, Celina was trying to figure out who their QB was, and had no RBs to speak of yet, to go along with a decimated offensive line.

Thats not the case this year. The Bobcats have an embarrassment of riches on offense, and as talented a QB as I can remember Celina having for quite some time to lead them.

I’ll have to try and watch Paris’s game against Ark High before I can make a solid prediction. My gut says both of these teams have made some massive gains and we’re in for another doozy.

Saw the Big Orange play, but not Paris yet.  According to others on here, that Ark. High team they played wasn't in the same class as Top Texas 4A......but Paris certainly had their way with them.  I could see a very good team chemistry that the Bobcats played with on both sides of the ball.  They have some big linemen and some athletic guys at the skill positions.  Their QB Bentley has all the tools and will only get better as those around him also improve.  I know that Hohenberger for Paris is in his 3rd season as the starter for Paris......and they just reload at the RB positions every year.  I'm guessing Paris will be a tough out and has a very stout defense again this season......better than Melissa's.  And certainly a better or more dangerous set of RB's.  But not sure about their passing threat.  Celina might be able to make them one-dimensional offensively, and that favors Celina.  

Hohenberger has a great arm, and Paris has great speed. It’s always seemed crazy to me that they don’t utilize those things more, offensively.

But I think you’re right, regal. If Celina can make Paris one dimensional, it’ll be a good night for the Bobcats. Celina is balanced offensively and can attack in a multitude of ways.

16 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I’d say both of these teams are probably a good deal better than they were this time last year. Both are very experienced. Both have some stellar athletes. Both play pretty physical.

Paris didn’t have much success offensively last year against Celina, except for a late-game breakaway TD to tie things up. Then they won on a FG in OT. I’ll be curious to see how an even more seasoned Wildcats group and an athletic offensive line handles the Bobcats front, which is loaded with speed athleticism and strength.

Conversely, Celina didn’t do much offensively in this matchup last year either. If I remember, they kinda got a cheap TD early and then just tried to hold on. Of course, Celina was trying to figure out who their QB was, and had no RBs to speak of yet, to go along with a decimated offensive line.

Thats not the case this year. The Bobcats have an embarrassment of riches on offense, and as talented a QB as I can remember Celina having for quite some time to lead them.

I’ll have to try and watch Paris’s game against Ark High before I can make a solid prediction. My gut says both of these teams have made some massive gains and we’re in for another doozy.

Where can we watch a replay of the Paris game?

19 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

Where can we watch a replay of the Paris game?

I’m not sure. I don’t think there was a livestream. If there was, I haven’t been able to find it. I know Paris did not do livestreams last year. For some reason I thought Texarkana Game Day did this game, but I can’t find the broadcast on YouTube.

There's no full replay of the Paris-Arkansas game posted online as far as I'm aware.  Paris broadcast home games last year, but not this year, and Texarkana GameDay did not make the roadtrip.  Paris does have a couple of highlight videos posted on their MaxPreps page.

Arkansas HC Barry Norton did not make the Paris trip due to illness, which was probably a contributing factor in the lopsided score. 

Paris has back-to-back challenges on the road at Celina and at PG which could be defining moments on this young season.  Since switching to the wing-T offense mid-season 2018, the Wildcats have gone 23-10 with a couple of long postseason runs despite competing in a strong district with tough pre-district schedules.  They've been successful with an undersized O-line which has been a disaster when asked to pass protect.  While I don't see a big change in offensive strategy, they do have some moderate size on the line this season, which, coupled with Hohenberger's scrambling ability, may lead to some passing success as the schedule progresses and they make adjustments. 

I didn't see the Arkansas game in person but I did watch the previous week's scrimmage vs. Denison and was encouraged by the defense.  Despite key graduation losses, they may be even quicker to the ball than last year's team.  I'm anxious to see how they hold up against Celina and PG.

39 minutes ago, Parisian said:

There's no full replay of the Paris-Arkansas game posted online as far as I'm aware.  Paris broadcast home games last year, but not this year, and Texarkana GameDay did not make the roadtrip.  Paris does have a couple of highlight videos posted on their MaxPreps page.

Arkansas HC Barry Norton did not make the Paris trip due to illness, which was probably a contributing factor in the lopsided score. 

Paris has back-to-back challenges on the road at Celina and at PG which could be defining moments on this young season.  Since switching to the wing-T offense mid-season 2018, the Wildcats have gone 23-10 with a couple of long postseason runs despite competing in a strong district with tough pre-district schedules.  They've been successful with an undersized O-line which has been a disaster when asked to pass protect.  While I don't see a big change in offensive strategy, they do have some moderate size on the line this season, which, coupled with Hohenberger's scrambling ability, may lead to some passing success as the schedule progresses and they make adjustments. 

I didn't see the Arkansas game in person but I did watch the previous week's scrimmage vs. Denison and was encouraged by the defense.  Despite key graduation losses, they may be even quicker to the ball than last year's team.  I'm anxious to see how they hold up against Celina and PG.

Good post Parisian. This week will be a good test for both Celina and Paris. Anxious to see how well they match up with each other.

Theres still a long way to go, obviously, and I think Melissa will be able to improve dramatically, but after watching the Bobcats dominate the Cardinals, I’d have Paris at No. 2 in the district after Argyle.

Went and watched the Paris/Ark High highlights, and oof, the poor Razorbacks look rough. I’m not sure how big of a school they are, but it looked like they’d struggle against most of the Texas 3A teams.

Not sure what caused them so much trouble on snaps, but their poor QB could not hold onto the ball. Set up the Wildcats with a lot of short fields.

Defensively, the Hogs just could not keep up with Paris’s speed. There was a massive discrepancy. Hogs not very disciplined on either side of the ball.

Im not meaning to knock Arkansas High, but I’ll say, it may be tough to tell how good Paris is from that game. The Wildcats basically did whatever they wanted.

I will say, Paris looked very disciplined. They executed pretty flawlessly. Their scheme, at first, looks pretty basic and easy to defend. The problem is, if you miss just one assignment, defensively, Paris will gash you for a big gain or a long TD run.

Celina will be much more disciplined and experienced defensively. They’ll have the speed to run with Paris. Offensively, they’ll be balanced and potent. I think Paris will be an equally better test for the Bobcats too.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Hey Parisian, how do the Wildcats compare to last year, offensively?

They look to be physically stronger along the line without losing much quickness and timing which makes the wing-t offense click.  They don’t have the standout established backs of past seasons (at least not yet), but they have a half-dozen capable runners who bring a variety of skill sets to the attack (speed/quickness/power).  Throw in a 3-year starter at QB and you’ve got the foundation for a productive and improved offense.  They don’t have to throw for 200+ yards to be successful but they will need to hit a few throws to keep good defenses (like Celina) off-stride.  We’ll know more after Friday.