Jump to content

Taunting


Nacwagons
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are just in week one, but I am seeing a lot of TD's being erased because of taunting. These high school kids are doing what they see the Pros do on Sundays. I have witnessed live in scrimmages, JV games and so far 3-4 varsity games. This is going to cost one of these teams a game at some point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JETT said:

Anything they do is considered taunting, let the kids play and celebrate.... if it's disrespectful towards another player then it deserves to be addressed JMO

It goes overboard more often than not. It is good to be proud of your accomplishments, however these are the experiences where young men are learning how to become men; where they learn the proper way to not only learn the Thrill of Victory, but also cope with the Agony of defeat as well as Loss. Too many Pros never really learned these two things, if you ask me. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

It goes overboard more often than not. It is good to be proud of your accomplishments, however these are the experiences where young men are learning how to become men; where they learn the proper way to not only learn the Thrill of Victory, but also cope with the Agony of defeat as well as Loss. Too many Pros never really learned these two things, if you ask me. 

Yeah, pretty much everything you said refers back to my last sentence 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

We are just in week one, but I am seeing a lot of TD's being erased because of taunting. These high school kids are doing what they see the Pros do on Sundays. I have witnessed live in scrimmages, JV games and so far 3-4 varsity games. This is going to cost one of these teams a game at some point. 

What did you see? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Celina got called for taunting the other night against Melissa. One of our guys laid a big hit on a key down and he did some fist pump/muscle flex and got called. Melissa got a brand new set of downs and scored the next play. If not for that call, we probably would’ve held the Cardinals to just 7 points.

Later in the game, Melissa sacked our QB and the kid did a huge wrestling move celebration thing and nobody said boo.

Unless it’s just blatant disrespect of another player, keep the flag in the pocket. They’re kids, they’re playing an emotional game and just having fun. Don’t take away from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Celina got called for taunting the other night against Melissa. One of our guys laid a big hit on a key down and he did some fist pump/muscle flex and got called. Melissa got a brand new set of downs and scored the next play. If not for that call, we probably would’ve held the Cardinals to just 7 points.

Later in the game, Melissa sacked our QB and the kid did a huge wrestling move celebration thing and nobody said boo.

Unless it’s just blatant disrespect of another player, keep the flag in the pocket. They’re kids, they’re playing an emotional game and just having fun. Don’t take away from it.

Good post, same way I feel.. let the kids play but if it's disrespectful then address it!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

We are just in week one, but I am seeing a lot of TD's being erased because of taunting. These high school kids are doing what they see the Pros do on Sundays. I have witnessed live in scrimmages, JV games and so far 3-4 varsity games. This is going to cost one of these teams a game at some point. 

Man you are exactly right! There’s one way to fix this problem; the coach addresses it and tells the players if it happens then there are dire consequences. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have to protect the feelings of the kids!!! And we have to protect the feelings of the parents!!!

Listen, I think the celebrations are over the top sometimes.  But unless they are specifically doing something to rub it in the face of the other team, like standing over them flexing, throwing the ball at them, it shouldn't be a penalty.  Let the coaches and the parents of those players determine what is acceptable.  My kid will know when he's crossed the line, believe me.  I won't need a 15 yard penalty to let him know.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

We have to protect the feelings of the kids!!! And we have to protect the feelings of the parents!!!

Listen, I think the celebrations are over the top sometimes.  But unless they are specifically doing something to rub it in the face of the other team, like standing over them flexing, throwing the ball at them, it shouldn't be a penalty.  Let the coaches and the parents of those players determine what is acceptable.  My kid will know when he's crossed the line, believe me.  I won't need a 15 yard penalty to let him know.

Agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ctown81 said:

What did you see? 

In the Nac scrimmage-Nac WR caught a long pass play got to the goal line and stopped turned around and waiting for the defenders to catch up and the stepped over the line. Called back.

Nac JV game the QB was going in for a score and pointed at the safety that was 5 yards deep in the end zone as he was crossing the goal line.

Crandall-Jax game WR caught the ball for a first down pointed at the Corner he beat as he was going out of bounds. Another WR caught a touchdown pass and held the ball out to the defensive back that was 3 yards behind him and negated a touchdown. 15 yard penalty from the 1 vs a TD

Silsbee-Brownsboro Scrimmage the RB waived to the Safety as he ran by him for a long TD-Called back.  WR caught a ball over the corner, and started pointing at him as he ran away from him.

These are just the few I have seen so far. 

I am not arguing the let the boys play motto, what I am saying the kids need to know its a penalty whether you agree with it or not. Catching a flag after making a great play for a score is going to cost someone a game.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gamewatcher63 said:

Back in my day our coaches would bench you if you did anything like they do now...they always told us to act like you've been there before...Yeah I know...grumpy old man...

Exactly! But it also starts at home...if they are taught how to act, and have role models at home you won't see that problem.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kids celebrating big plays shows their enthusiasm for the game. I love seeing kids celebrate as long as it’s not directed at another player on the field trying to show them up or make them look bad. Another thing you can’t do is start the celebration before the whistle has blown or the play is over. That has cost teams in the past. I remember playing Silsbee in 2015 when a player chucked up the deuce on a interception return before crossing the goal line. The TD was called back on a 15 yard unsportsmanlike call. It was a ticky tack call, but that’s part of it. So I would say celebrate after the play is over and don’t direct it at opposing players trying to show them up. As long as it’s not ridiculously over the top let the kids have fun playing a “game”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Kids celebrating big plays shows their enthusiasm for the game. I love seeing kids celebrate as long as it’s not directed at another player on the field trying to show them up or make them look bad. Another thing you can’t do is start the celebration before the whistle has blown or the play is over. That has cost teams in the past. I remember playing Silsbee in 2015 when a player chucked up the deuce on a interception return before crossing the goal line. The TD was called back on a 15 yard unsportsmanlike call. It was a ticky tack call, but that’s part of it. So I would say celebrate after the play is over and don’t direct it at opposing players trying to show them up. As long as it’s not ridiculously over the top let the kids have fun playing a “game”.

+1,001

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not believe in ANY taunting. Don’t point in the air at the 15, etc…  Our players, their players, it doesn’t matter. Penalize them. I don’t care how old they are, it’s about respect. Some of you don’t agree and that’s fine, just my opinion 
 

Yes, the Crandall kid clearly taunted our player. Bush league, act like you’ve done it before. The NFL has definitely been a NEGATIVE influence. In a lot of ways. 
 

I saw something really refreshing the other night on Thursday. JVille was hosting Crandalls JV. One of ‘Jacksonville’s running backs got pounded by a Crandall LB. Our RB had his jersey pulled down underneath his right shoulder pad where it was sticking out. As he was going back to the Hurdle, that same Crandall LB went over there and told him to stop for a second and he pulled his jersey back over his pads for him. I’m old school, all that DeSoto, Terrell Owens junk just ruins the game. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...