WEEK 3: McKinney North (1-1) Vs. Marshall (0-2)

Mavchamp

McKinney North (1-1) Vs. Marshall (0-2)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• McNorth in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • McNorth in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

Final tune up for the Mavs before district play kick off.  It's the home opener after two rough road losses.  

The Mav defense has kept them in both games... while the offensive malaise of last year has continued this season....but maybe with a light at the end of the tunnel.

They will host McKinney North.... making it the third consecutive 5A-Div I team Marshall has faced this season.

In game one Vs. New Caney.....Marshall's defense held the game to a 9-7 score with less than 4 mins left to go in the contest.  However a pair of interceptions in the final 3 mins turned it into a 23-7 final.

In game two Vs. Longview.... the defense again held the game within one posession (7-0) until the Lobos scored on the final play of the 3Q to make it 14-0.

As ugly as the Mav offense was Vs. Longview.... signs of life were finally shown when senior Michael Olvera came in at QB after halftime.   Marshall never really moved the ball in the New Caney game... nor did they move the ball in the first half Vs. Longview.  But Olvera provided a much needed spark that had been missing thus far all season.

Olvera went 8-17 for 118 yards and one INT.  That was more yardage in one half than the Mavs had accumulated in the first 6 quarters of the season.  Not stunning numbers by any stretch....but not bad numbers against a good Lobo defense.  Maybe...just maybe the Mavs have found the beginnings of an offensive groove.  

------

McKinney North is coming off of a 28-16 loss to Justin Northwest.  They beat an Oklahoma team in week one.  They are (1-1) on the season.

------

I'll get more stats and info posted later on.  Gonna call it a night since it's 3AM.

I'm hearing the senior (Olvera) will get the start this week.  This is REALLY good news.

He deserves that chance..... he proved himself last week in the 2nd half of the Longview game.  He got 118 yards passing in just 2 quarters against an outstanding Lobo defense.  Having him as a passing threat should really open up the running game.  JQ Davis is chomping at the bit for a big game on the ground.

After 6 quarters of complete offensive futileness.... I think the sophomore QB experiment is done (for now).  The kid has a fantastic arm...he can chunk it a mile.... he just can't connect to anyone yet.  I really wish he was on JV getting some valuable snaps.  He could be special as he matures, gets stronger... etc.

Defense continues to get better and better.  if the offense could just help them out a little..... like SCORE.... and not turn the ball over deep.... and not go 3 and out over and over again.

I honestly don't think we need a spectacular offense to win this season.  Not with this defense.  We just need an efficient offense.  If we can just be efficient offensively.... I think the defense will carry the majority of the load for this team.  Get first downs.... score a fair amount of points.... don't turn it over.... and this D can win it for you.

We don't have to have 40 PPG to be successful.  Score a modest amount and then let the defense take over.

I'm hoping that's what we will see this week Vs McNorth. 

They are a hard team to gauge.  They got a big win over an Oklahoma team no one known anything about and they lost to a Justin Northwest team this past week that generally isn't very good..... so WHO KNOWS. 

What I remember of them last season was that they were pretty good offensively....but defensively they had lots of issues.   

I looked it up...  the OK team they beat is Westmore is (0-2) having lost to McNorth 44-26.  They lost to Moore, OK last Friday 40-14.  So...yeah.  No bueno it appears.

Can't wait until Friday!  (Not to mention I'm leaving for the Caribbean after the game!)

GO MAVS GO!  

• Like 1

I mentioned this on the GAMEDAY page on the Mav webpage... but an interesting piece of trivia for Friday's game....

This will be the SECOND longest road trip in McKInney North's history.

The longest was to Lufkin in 2018.

1.  Lufkin 2018
2.  Marshall 2021
3.  Texarkana 2019

On 9/4/2021 at 3:06 AM, Mavchamp said:

Final tune up for the Mavs before district play kick off.  It's the home opener after two rough road losses.  

The Mav defense has kept them in both games... while the offensive malaise of last year has continued this season....but maybe with a light at the end of the tunnel.

They will host McKinney North.... making it the third consecutive 5A-Div I team Marshall has faced this season.

In game one Vs. New Caney.....Marshall's defense held the game to a 9-7 score with less than 4 mins left to go in the contest.  However a pair of interceptions in the final 3 mins turned it into a 23-7 final.

In game two Vs. Longview.... the defense again held the game within one posession (7-0) until the Lobos scored on the final play of the 3Q to make it 14-0.

As ugly as the Mav offense was Vs. Longview.... signs of life were finally shown when senior Michael Olvera came in at QB after halftime.   Marshall never really moved the ball in the New Caney game... nor did they move the ball in the first half Vs. Longview.  But Olvera provided a much needed spark that had been missing thus far all season.

Olvera went 8-17 for 118 yards and one INT.  That was more yardage in one half than the Mavs had accumulated in the first 6 quarters of the season.  Not stunning numbers by any stretch....but not bad numbers against a good Lobo defense.  Maybe...just maybe the Mavs have found the beginnings of an offensive groove.  

------

McKinney North is coming off of a 28-16 loss to Justin Northwest.  They beat an Oklahoma team in week one.  They are (1-1) on the season.

------

I'll get more stats and info posted later on.  Gonna call it a night since it's 3AM.

Got to give it to Marshall. They aren't scared to play competition. I really like what the coach has done with the program. I hope they get going!

On 9/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, Mavchamp said:

I'm hearing the senior (Olvera) will get the start this week.  This is REALLY good news.

He deserves that chance..... he proved himself last week in the 2nd half of the Longview game.  He got 118 yards passing in just 2 quarters against an outstanding Lobo defense.  Having him as a passing threat should really open up the running game.  JQ Davis is chomping at the bit for a big game on the ground.

After 6 quarters of complete offensive futileness.... I think the sophomore QB experiment is done (for now).  The kid has a fantastic arm...he can chunk it a mile.... he just can't connect to anyone yet.  I really wish he was on JV getting some valuable snaps.  He could be special as he matures, gets stronger... etc.

Defense continues to get better and better.  if the offense could just help them out a little..... like SCORE.... and not turn the ball over deep.... and not go 3 and out over and over again.

I honestly don't think we need a spectacular offense to win this season.  Not with this defense.  We just need an efficient offense.  If we can just be efficient offensively.... I think the defense will carry the majority of the load for this team.  Get first downs.... score a fair amount of points.... don't turn it over.... and this D can win it for you.

We don't have to have 40 PPG to be successful.  Score a modest amount and then let the defense take over.

I'm hoping that's what we will see this week Vs McNorth. 

They are a hard team to gauge.  They got a big win over an Oklahoma team no one known anything about and they lost to a Justin Northwest team this past week that generally isn't very good..... so WHO KNOWS. 

What I remember of them last season was that they were pretty good offensively....but defensively they had lots of issues.   

I looked it up...  the OK team they beat is Westmore is (0-2) having lost to McNorth 44-26.  They lost to Moore, OK last Friday 40-14.  So...yeah.  No bueno it appears.

Can't wait until Friday!  (Not to mention I'm leaving for the Caribbean after the game!)

GO MAVS GO!  

I like going with the senior, Olvera impressed me with his moxie last week, but if I'm coaching him up I tell him not to press in trying to bust a big play. Play smart and careful early on. He needs some quick slants and bubble screens early on to build some confidence in the offense and help create some space for the running game.

If/when the running game gets going, let Olvera try some play-action with 10- to 15-yard slant routes to that tall wideout of y'all's. If they can connect, it will further aid the running game. Then you should be rolling. 

Defensively... man, I wouldn't change too much. The line got pretty good penetration against Longview, and the linebackers filled in well. 

I selected "close win" in the poll, but think Marshall can take this one by 10 if everything comes together. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, TIMRIGGINS said:

Got to give it to Marshall. They aren't scared to play competition. I really like what the coach has done with the program. I hope they get going!

I agree.  Although I’ll admit I have mixed feelings about this tbh. 

We’ve had some slow starts to seasons that’s turned out to be fine.  

We’ve had several 0-3 or 1-2 starts the last 6-7 years.

IIRC….. in 2017 we started 0-4 and still won the district championship. 

There’s a fine line between iron sharpening iron and just getting your brains bashed in and not building any confidence.

But facing the likes of Longview, Carthage, Shadow Creek, Corsicana has shown to make is battle tested.  

The last two seasons have been stacked with 5A Div I playoff teams that are all significantly bigger than us.  New Caney, Longview, McNorth. Before that it was a 6A Tyler Legacy team that has almost 1,000 more students than us.  We split with them.

So yeah…. It has had some benefits playing with the big boys.  But another part of me thinks how nice it would be to enter district with a winning record.  It’s a love/hate relationship. 

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree.  Although I’ll admit I have mixed feelings about this tbh. 

We’ve had some slow starts to seasons that’s turned out to be fine.  

We’ve had several 0-3 or 1-2 starts the last 6-7 years.

IIRC….. in 2017 we started 0-4 and still won the district championship. 

There’s a fine line between iron sharpening iron and just getting your brains bashed in and not building any confidence.

But facing the likes of Longview, Carthage, Shadow Creek, Corsicana has shown to make is battle tested.  

The last two seasons have been stacked with 5A Div I playoff teams that are all significantly bigger than us.  New Caney, Longview, McNorth. Before that it was a 6A Tyler Legacy team that has about 1,000 more students than us.  We split with them.

So yeah…. It has had some benefits playing with the big boys.  But another part of me thinks how nice it would be to enter district with a winning record.  It’s a love/hate relationship. 

I understand the argument of both sides and actually agree with both. Schedule a couple tough games that will test you then schedule two or three that you should win. I think its good to have both IF you going to be competitive. If your team isn't any good then you better get the wins when you can!

50 minutes ago, TIMRIGGINS said:

I understand the argument of both sides and actually agree with both. Schedule a couple tough games that will test you then schedule two or three that you should win. I think its good to have both IF you going to be competitive. If your team isn't any good then you better get the wins when you can!

Yeah…..It’s hard to do a mix when you only have 3 non-district games. 

I liked it better when we were in a 7 team district and we got to have 4 non-district games.  That way you can get the 2 really tough opponents that you probably shouldn’t beat and 2 games that are competitive, but you’re a favorite. 

My ideal non-district schedule would look something like this:

Shreveport Byrd

Carthage 

Ennis

Bossier Airline or Parkway 

All 4 would be tough games.  2 of them we’d be underdogs and 2 of them we’d likely be favorites. 

JMHO

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Yeah…..It’s hard to do a mix when you only have 3 non-district games. 

I liked it better when we were in a 7 team district and we got to have 4 non-district games.  That way you can get the 2 really tough opponents that you probably shouldn’t beat and 2 games that are competitive, but you’re a favorite. 

My ideal non-district schedule would look something like this:

Shreveport Byrd

Carthage 

Ennis

Bossier Airline or Parkway 

All 4 would be tough games.  2 of them we’d be underdogs and 2 of them we’d likely be favorites. 

JMHO

Yeah that would be a solid preseason schedule. 3 preseason games is tough. 4 is better. 

2 hours ago, marvda1 said:

Is there a McKinney North home broadcast?

49 minutes ago, bingosmith said:

Is there a Marshall home broadcast?

This should be the link to the video:

https://c.streamhoster.com/embed/media/WasBNW/OkdiSASLs2B/r/kmht

I think KMHT puts the video broadcast on their facebook page as well

• Like 1