Week 3: Celina(2-0) @ Argyle(2-0) Friday 7:30 Kickoff

regaleagle

Both teams are top-ranked in 4A in their respective divisions.  This will be the 15th meeting between these two schools.....Argyle holds a 10-4 advantage.  Celina has more wins against Argyle than any other team in football.......La Vega & Prosper come in 2nd with 3 wins each.  This game still holds a kind of rivalry aspect, but more like a grudge matchup these days.  Argyle will be ready because they know Celina will be coming to upset Argyle in Argyle and stop the home win streak and regular season win streak.  If there is a team that knows how to scheme against Argyle best......it's probably Celina.  This season Celina has better players than in the recent past seasons, and a very good QB in Noah Bentley.  They also have a couple of good RB's and receivers.  Celina has a real chance to win this game come Friday night.  This game will be a very good measuring stick in Week 3 for both teams going forward.

I went into the injuries a bit more in the Celina/Paris thread, but basically, the Bobcats took down Paris at about 60%. I was really proud of the way Celina overcame the adversity and responded after going down 10-0 early in the first quarter. By the second quarter, Celina was using a literal 6th-string RB (if you can even call it that). Also lost our stud receiver in the second half. Not sure of the extent of his injury. I would imagine if he is good to go, he'll play against Argyle. He's a high-energy guy and is our biggest, most explosive playmaker, and the offense tends to feed off him. We were also without several key defenders against Paris, and I'm not sure of their status this week, either.

But, like Matt said, IF the Bobcats are healthy, I think we've got the guys and the depth to go toe-to-toe with the Eagles, and possibly even sneak away with a win. But if we're missing our top 2-3 RBs and our top receiver AND a few of those defenders, then I think Argyle will run away with this one, just because of their depth and talent level.

This is Celina's third straight game against a 4A Div. 1 state-ranked opponent. And I think it's also Argyle's third game against a state-ranked opponent, as well. It's probably the most evenly-matched Celina and Argyle have been since about 2014-15. Every time Celina has beaten Argyle (with the exception of 2004), the Bobcats have advanced all the way to the state championship game. Hopefully the Bobcats can keep that trend going this year with another win over the Eagles.

Either way, it's a good test for both teams. As long as both sides come out healthy, I would imagine there will be plenty of positive takeaways from this matchup.

One thing is for sure in this game......the fans will show up and fill the stands to see these two teams battle on the gridiron of glory.  Should be an old-fashioned slugfest with some serious defense going on to stop two very good offenses. Both teams have some big boys on the lines, too.  I think the Celina fans will be surprised when they see the Eagles defensive capabilities this season.  It's been the high-octane offense shining brightly in many of these games, but might just turn into a game that is lower scoring than most fans would think.

On 9/7/2021 at 3:09 AM, regaleagle said:

Both teams are top-ranked in 4A in their respective divisions.  This will be the 15th meeting between these two schools.....Argyle holds a 10-4 advantage.  Celina has more wins against Argyle than any other team in football.......La Vega & Prosper come in 2nd with 3 wins each.  This game still holds a kind of rivalry aspect, but more like a grudge matchup these days.  Argyle will be ready because they know Celina will be coming to upset Argyle in Argyle and stop the home win streak and regular season win streak.  If there is a team that knows how to scheme against Argyle best......it's probably Celina.  This season Celina has better players than in the recent past seasons, and a very good QB in Noah Bentley.  They also have a couple of good RB's and receivers.  Celina has a real chance to win this game come Friday night.  This game will be a very good measuring stick in Week 3 for both teams going forward.

Im being told that celina has a huge O line like they good teams from the past. Not sure thay will get Argyle but they are good!

Tough game for Celina if they are not at 100%. Argyle is basically an elite 5a DII team at this point. From the sound of it and watching some of their games, they are 2 deep at almost every position. That’s hard to complete with for teams with 4a DII enrollments. If I am a Celina fan I am hoping for a good game and a win, but I’m not too concerned if it’s a lopsided loss. Celina won’t see a team better than Argyle all year IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

One thing is for sure in this game......the fans will show up and fill the stands to see these two teams battle on the gridiron of glory.  Should be an old-fashioned slugfest with some serious defense going on to stop two very good offenses. Both teams has some big boys on the lines, too.  I think the Celina fans will be surprised when they see the Eagles defensive capabilities this season.  It's been the high-octane offense shining brightly in many of these games, but might just turn into a game that is lower scoring than most fans would think.

I tend to agree with you, regal. I think this one has the trappings to be more of a hard-hitting defensive battle than an offensive slugfest. Both teams are really good, defensively. And I think both teams really want to utilize their monstrous offensive lines, control the trenches and pound the football. If you're a fan of line play, this game is definitely for you. In addition to tremendous offensive lines, both teams have really good defensive lines as well. Both teams get up field and create havoc in the backfield too. I'd give Argyle an edge on the defensive line by a touch, and say it's close to a wash on the offensive line.

I just hope both teams play a good clean game and come out healthy. If that happens, then it's a success. I'd say a win probably means a bit more for Celina, but a loss doesn't do much to either team overall.

Go Bobcats!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I cant find anywhere that appears to be advertising a link for the game.  This will be a shame if its not streamed anywhere! 

Go to YouTube and type in Talon Argyle Football.  That should do it.  You can also watch the Pleasant Grove game.

• Thanks 1

Yep......The Talon News is in charge of the Argyle Livestream this season......that's the high school students doing the games.  But it will be the regular Argyle Broadcast Network doing the play by play call as usual in conjunction with the Livestream so everybody gets involved.  They are pretty good at it......those students.......just not like a professional team yet.  But they will get better as the season progresses. They do give some close-ups on some plays, but then miss some of the full wide angle shots of the entire play at times.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yep......The Talon News is in charge of the Argyle Livestream this season......that's the high school students doing the games.  But it will be the regular Argyle Broadcast Network doing the play by play call as usual in conjunction with the Livestream so everybody gets involved.  They are pretty good at it......those students.......just not like a professional team yet.  But they will get better as the season progresses. They do give some close-ups on some plays, but then miss some of the full wide angle shots of the entire play at times.

Just google The Talon News and find the link, then click on it.  Usually it will only be available on gameday......not the day before.  The pregame show usually starts 30 min. before kickoff, so that will be 7 pm this week.  I think the UIL will be doing the Lone Star Cup Presentation to AISD at halftime this week.....or maybe before kickoff, I dunno.

• Thanks 1

I fully expect that there will be some players from both teams get some hard-nosed "schoolin'' out on that field Friday night......welcome to the Argyle/Celina slugfest, Boys!  Both teams have return players from last season playing, but both teams also have some "newbies" to this game.  It'll be an eye-opener real quick for the newbies, and that will bode well for them for the rest of the season.  Ain't nothin' like a good ol' slobberknocker high school football game to get the juices flowing and bring out the best in your players.  Both sides will be pressed to play at a very high level, and that's a good thing this early in the schedule.

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I fully expect that there will be some players from both teams get some hard-nosed "schoolin'' out on that field Friday night......welcome to the Argyle/Celina slugfest, Boys!  Both teams have return players from last season playing, but both teams also have some "newbies" to this game.  It'll be an eye-opener real quick for the newbies, and that will bode well for them for the rest of the season.  Ain't nothin' like a good ol' slobberknocker high school football game to get the juices flowing and bring out the best in your players.  Both sides will be pressed to play at a very high level, and that's a good thing this early in the schedule.

Reagal,

Watching highlights of both Argyle and Celina tells me if Celina was healthy and had all men on deck. 
The game would be a slobber knocker, but Argyle May have the best team they have ever had with depth to boot. 
I think Celina plays Gilmer for the right to go to Jerry’s World this year. 
Argyle goes undefeated and wins two in a row. 
Celina looks like the Celina of old. They have the Jimmy’s and Joes, justI don’t think they can have a chance against Argyle missing all those starters. 

2 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Reagal,

Watching highlights of both Argyle and Celina tells me if Celina was healthy and had all men on deck. 
The game would be a slobber knocker, but Argyle May have the best team they have ever had with depth to boot. 
I think Celina plays Gilmer for the right to go to Jerry’s World this year. 
Argyle goes undefeated and wins two in a row. 
Celina looks like the Celina of old. They have the Jimmy’s and Joes, justI don’t think they can have a chance against Argyle missing all those starters. 

Oh they have a good chance, for sure.  It's early in the season and it IS Texas High School Football.  A turnover here or there, good defense, and big plays.......lots of things can happen in a game like this even if they are missing a couple of guys.  You can bet your boots they will play whoever is ready.