Week 3: Celina(2-0) @ Argyle(2-0) Friday 7:30 Kickoff

regaleagle

Well, good game Argyle. They are the No. 1 team in 4A for a reason, and they look like it still. This might be the best defense Argyle has ever had. Very fast. Very physical. Very fundamentally sound.

Celina’s defense played very well. Gave up 2 scores, and most of Argyle’s offense came virtue of the Bobcats FIVE turnovers.

Bobcats have to figure out some things, offensively. We had some success with certain things against Melissa and Paris, but Argyle exposed some things tonight.

• Like 1

I still fully expect Argyle to run the table and win a second consecutive state title.

I also still fully expect Celina to be playing in the semifinals or further. This game doesn’t do anything and shouldn’t do anything to Celina’s expectations. Bobcats can make some adjustments and may not lose again for a long time.

2 minutes ago, house said:

never seen a give up so quick.  

I haven’t either. That’s my biggest disappointment from the game. Celina’s players kept fighting, but from a fan’s perspective, the coaches just flat out gave up, or didn’t know what adjustments to make. Don’t know which one would be worse.

3 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I haven’t either. That’s my biggest disappointment from the game. Celina’s players kept fighting, but from a fan’s perspective, the coaches just flat out gave up, or didn’t know what adjustments to make. Don’t know which one would be worse.

Appeared that Bill just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Ballboy23 said:

Appeared that Bill just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. 

Sure did look that way. With as good a defense as we have, that game was far from over. But our coaches didn’t want any part of a comeback. And I know that sounds ridiculous to say, but given what anyone who watched the game could see, it’d be hard to argue against that statement.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

Sure did look that way. With as good a defense as we have, that game was far from over. But our coaches didn’t want any part of a comeback. And I know that sounds ridiculous to say, but given what anyone who watched the game could see, it’d be hard to argue against that statement.

Outsider point of view - Celina came out of halftime looking to win…..then the pick 6 made it 23 - 0…….In this game, the Celina QB did not look good(he may be first team all state at the end of the year)…….I believe the head coach decided to not take the chance that  the QB becomes shell shocked for the rest of the year by throwing more bad passes tonight…..so, he pretty much shut it down. 

• Like 1

Just now, cotton84 said:

Outsider point of view - Celina came out of halftime looking to win…..then the pick 6 made it 23 - 0…….In this game, the Celina QB did not look good(he may be first team all state at the end of the year)…….I believe the head coach decided to not take the chance that  the QB becomes shell shocked for the rest of the year by throwing more bad passes tonight…..so, he pretty much shut it down. 

You could be right. But you could also have the opposite effect with that strategy. You could permanently shake the kid’s confidence. Or shake the team’s confidence in their signal caller.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

You could be right. But you could also have the opposite effect with that strategy. You could permanently shake the kid’s confidence. Or shake the team’s confidence in their signal caller.

At 23 - 0, Carthage would have probably went to a little quicker tempo and a mix of very short passes and bombs……..those 15 to 25 yard sideline throws aren’t for a struggling QB. 

Just now, cotton84 said:

At 23 - 0, Carthage would have probably went to a little quicker tempo and a mix of very short passes and bombs……..those 15 to 25 yard sideline throws aren’t for a struggling QB. 

Exactly. We had success doing that against Melissa and Paris. But we couldn’t establish those concepts against Argyle. Yet we kept going back to that well.

It’s easy to armchair QB … or coach from the couch. God knows Coach Elliot and his group have forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know. Maybe I’m being too harsh. But it was just hard to watch tonight, and it wasn’t lack of effort on the kids’ part.

1 hour ago, TCU44 said:

Unless Argyle has Insane injuries no one is beating  them in 4A D1

You better take a look at Austin LBJ......they are quick, big, and have a very good defense as well.  LBJ looks like they have some real talented players......and it's still early.  El Campo has two talented backs......they may be really tough by the playoffs.  I'm still not convinced Melissa should be discounted.  That team is full of speed and athletes, and have shored up their defense this season.  Don't forget they have a very good qb that can operate that spread offense very well.  Paris has some talent and speed too......Hohenberger at qb is in his 3rd yr as a starter and is a senior.  I'm certain I have left out 5 more contenders......including next week's opponent La Vega.

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

You better take a look at Austin LBJ......they are quick, big, and have a very good defense as well.  LBJ looks like they have some real talented players......and it's still early.  El Campo has two talented backs......they may be really tough by the playoffs.  I'm still not convinced Melissa should be discounted.  That team if full of speed and athletes, and have shored up their defense this season.  Don't forget that have a very good qb that can operate that spread offense very well.  Paris has some talent and speed too......Hohenberger at qb is in his 3rd yr as a starter and is a senior.  I'm certain I have left out 5 more contenders.

There are definitely other legitimate contenders in 4A Div. I. But Argyle is ranked No. 1 for a reason, and they not only look the part, they play the part too.

IF Argyle continues to look dominant on defense next week in Belmead against La Vega and wins that game too, then I MIGHT be willing to acknowledge this season's Eagles could repeat.  But the schedule is full in our district and in the playoffs.  I still think Stephenville might turn out to be really good this season.  Hopefully there is tons of football left to play and a deep run in the playoffs this year.

3 hours ago, TCU44 said:

Argyle would beat Carthage 

They would not. I still consider them to be 4AD1 champs. They never lost their title. I seen where you mentioned Argyle should move up to 5A next realignment. That makes Carthage even more impressive. They were completely dominant in D1 with, what turned out to be, D2 numbers.