Week 3: Celina(2-0) @ Argyle(2-0) Friday 7:30 Kickoff

regaleagle

21 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

It must have been. Just some bizarre circumstances, no doubt.

But, in the end, all four of those 4A teams were really, really good that year. Celina, WOS, Argyle and La Vega were all elite that season.

Man I don’t know what to think about this game tonight. I feel like Celina Could win this game but then again I have a bad feeling that this game is over by halftime in Argyles  favor. Help me feel better about this!😂👍

35 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Oh yeah.......that's right, d0tc0m, I remember what happened now.  That was a night things didn't go right for Celina or Argyle.  Maybe it was a full moon or something.

I went back and looked at the box score to make sure I was remembering it correctly.

LV had more than double the 1st downs, almost the double yards and some how they had more passing yards with a freshman playing QB. LV held Argyle to 103 rushing yards on 32 attempts while rushing for 243 yards on 47 attempts (5.1 ypc). LV also ran 18 more plays and I’m sure they dominated TOP. It wasn’t a full moon, it was LV had one of the best teams I can remember and kept Argyle in the game with mistakes. But to Argyle’s credit they capitalized on those mistakes and almost won a game in which they should’ve gotten beat pretty bad IMO.

50 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I went back and looked at the box score to make sure I was remembering it correctly.

LV had more than double the 1st downs, almost the double yards and some how they had more passing yards with a freshman playing QB. LV held Argyle to 103 rushing yards on 32 attempts while rushing for 243 yards on 47 attempts (5.1 ypc). LV also ran 18 more plays and I’m sure they dominated TOP. It wasn’t a full moon, it was LV had one of the best teams I can remember and kept Argyle in the game with mistakes. But to Argyle’s credit they capitalized on those mistakes and almost won a game in which they should’ve gotten beat pretty bad IMO.

Yeah......that was the year after Ralston had graduated.  Not the best team Argyle had, but still good enough to get to the Title game and still good enough to stay with a very good LV team and almost upsetting them.  Still......you cannot deny that Argyle was leading very late until those 2 sideline "too many men on the field" in a row with about a minute and change left moved the LOS for LV to about the 15 yd line.    I never said Argyle was better.......I said Argyle sideline really messed up in a crucial time of the game very late and "gave" LV excellent field position very late in the game.  Argyle did have a good defense that season.  I think it was 2nd down when the two calls gave LV a first down and moved the ball inside the 20.  You just never see that happen......esp. in a SC title game.  It was very strange.

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Good info! I guess all I remembered was that last few minutes sequence. Revisionist history, I suppose!

1 hour ago, TCU44 said:

Man I don’t know what to think about this game tonight. I feel like Celina Could win this game but then again I have a bad feeling that this game is over by halftime in Argyles  favor. Help me feel better about this!😂👍

I'd feel better if I knew the status of all our dudes. If we were 100% healthy, I'd say this game was a tossup. But I just don't know. We may be healthy, we may not. Just not sure, and won't know until game time.

Playing Argyle is similar to playing Gilmer. If you can weather the storm early, and not get your doors blown off in the first quarter, you can win the game. You've got to get a stop or two in the first quarter, and you've got to be able to answer their attacks. But if you let their early onslaught knock you to the canvas in the first 10-12 minutes, you might as well pack it up and head to the house.

Nah.......Celina will be able to cover those receivers on the long passes.  Argyle should be able to complete some of the shorter ones, and maybe catch Celina flat on a couple of plays for a long one.  But Celina will do well on the lines and be able to limit Argyle moving the chains and sustaining drives.  Argyle may be able to hit some plays for some big gains, but I think this game will be a battle and the scoring in the mid-30's for the winner.

After perusing last week's game against PG on Youtube, I spotted plenty of areas the Argyle D needs to shore up.  A spread offense that can also run the ball effectively like Celina has should be able to give the Argyle D all kinds of problems tonight.  It's still early in the season and looks to me like we will see where the Argyle D needs more work after tonight's contest.  The Argyle offense will find some ways to score......this game will go as the Argyle D goes.  IF Celina can keep the Argyle offense on the bench with less opportunities, then they have a good chance of winning it.  

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

I'd feel better if I knew the status of all our dudes. If we were 100% healthy, I'd say this game was a tossup. But I just don't know. We may be healthy, we may not. Just not sure, and won't know until game time.

Playing Argyle is similar to playing Gilmer. If you can weather the storm early, and not get your doors blown off in the first quarter, you can win the game. You've got to get a stop or two in the first quarter, and you've got to be able to answer their attacks. But if you let their early onslaught knock you to the canvas in the first 10-12 minutes, you might as well pack it up and head to the house.

Not that it will make a difference tonight but I did hear Celinas JV Won all the games.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

After perusing last week's game against PG on Youtube, I spotted plenty of areas the Argyle D needs to shore up.  A spread offense that can also run the ball effectively like Celina has should be able to give the Argyle D all kinds of problems tonight.  It's still early in the season and looks to me like we will see where the Argyle D needs more work after tonight's contest.  The Argyle offense will find some ways to score......this game will go as the Argyle D goes.  IF Celina can keep the Argyle offense on the bench with less opportunities, then they have a good chance of winning it.  

PG did have some chances in that game, but they didn’t take advantage of many of them. Argyle did a nice job of making sure those opportunities were few and far between though.

WR Collin Urich #2(5-11/170/Sr) leads all receivers in 4A this week with 7 catches for 187 yds and 3 TD's.  Guess what???  Celina's other WR Brower Nickel (6-4/170/Sr) has 6 catches for 160 yds and 1 TD and is in 4th place in 4A this week going into tonight's game.  That means QB Noah Bentley is not only on target, but is a very dangerous weapon with his arm.  I'm not sure Argyle has a secondary that will be able to contain both of these guys.  You cannot double cover one without the other being man to man.  How you gonna cover that 6-4 height of Brower Nickel, Huh?  And the speed of Urich?  And the arm of Bentley?  I guess the Argyle coaching staff has been very busy this week in preparation.

Sounds to me like Celina might have the better QB and better receivers than Argyle this season......that's what the numbers show so far.  There are no stats listed in MaxPreps as a category for Celina.......but now I wonder what kind of numbers their RB's have too???  I think Urich also carries the ball on some plays occasionally.  They have two RB's I know are good......#4 Gabe Gayton and #5 Trae Hollins(6-0/185/Jr).  Hollins looks like he is next level material for sure.

11 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Sounds to me like Celina might have the better QB and better receivers than Argyle this season......that's what the numbers show so far.  There are no stats listed in MaxPreps as a category for Celina.......but now I wonder what kind of numbers their RB's have too???  I think Urich also carries the ball on some plays occasionally.  They have two RB's I know are good......#4 Gabe Gayton and #5 Trae Hollins(6-0/185/Jr).  Hollins looks like he is next level material for sure.

Gayton played sparingly in the opener, but he was out against Paris, and I think he’s out tonight. Hollins has only had a handful of carries. He’s been used almost solely on the defensive side of the ball as a fast-attacking D End.

Troy Peterson is #5, and he was hurt early in the game against Peterson. He is smaller, but extremely strong and deceptively quick. He and #4, Will Taylor are similar in size and running style. Taylor was also hurt early against Paris.

I’m fairly certain Gayton will be out again. But hopefully Peterson and Taylor will be good enough to go. Hollins could see some action on offense, as well, depending on the health of others on defense.

Celina also has an outstanding C/T #57 Micheal Reemts(6-6/290/Sr).  And I guess that other Bentley kid on the roster #44 Eli Bentley(5-10/190/Sr/TE/DE) is pretty good like his brother too, Huh?  And what about that other WR/SS #15 Jayden Tucker(6-2/180/Sr)?  I guess he's okay too!  And there's more......Celina is loaded this season, folks.

After analyzing and sizing things up.......looks to me like the ball will be sailing thru the airways tonight in Argyle.  Running the ball may not prove to be very successful for either team on its own.  Both teams have big defensive lines and some active LB's.  Looks like the QB's and Wideouts are the way to fly tonight.......with some quick hitters on the ground and a little bit of pound to go with it.  

• Like 1

We will get the real jersey numbers of who's who tonight at gametime.  What's showing on MaxPreps is obviously NOT what really is.  And lots of the players have no numbers at all listed on the MaxPreps roster.

Methinks Celina is trying to keep some things hidden from view......or at least difficult to trace.  And I don't for one minute believe all this stuff about so many injured players.  I'll believe it when it has been officially verified by Argyle sources.....LOL.  But heck, they might not even know for sure either.

It's very possible......nobody has even mentioned it yet.....that Celina breaks with the lead and Argyle has to catch up.  What happens if Celina gets a two-TD lead and Argyle cannot connect?  It could get mighty interesting for the Argyle faithful in the stands tonight in Argyle.......they are not accustomed to seeing their team playing from behind, much less losing a game at home!   This season Celina has the firepower and defense combined to match Argyle.......at least that's what it looks like on paper.  GO EAGLES!!!