Marshall Vs. Pine Tree  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Pine Tree in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Pine Tree in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

The next game will be the district opener for both the PT Pirates and the Marshall Mavericks.

Pine Tree enters the game with  record of (2-1) with wins over 4A Div II Liberty Eylau (25-0) and 4A Div I Kilgore 42-27.  They lost to 4A Div I Lindale 31-29. 

Marshall enters the game with a record of (1-2) with a pair of losses to 5A Div I programs.  They fell to New Caney (3-0) 23-7 in the season opener and 14-0 to Longview in week 2.  They finally got into the win column with a 41-29 victory over 5A Div I McKinney North.

--------

Pine Tree Offense:

QB DaKylan Jonson has piled up 496 yards passing going 22-45 for 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

RB Ethan Morgan has 482 yards on 59 carries and 3 scores.

WR Jonathan Fuller has 14 catches for 322 yards and 4 touchdowns.

WR Lukas Branson has 202 yards catching and a score.

--------

Marshall Offense:

QB Michael Olvera has gone 22-37 for 315 yards passing with a touchdown and 1 interception in his 6 quarters of play.

RB JQ Davis   has had 55 carries for 239 yards and 3 touchdowns

WR Jacory Smith 10 catches for 127 yards.

WR Domar Roberson 8 receptions for 214 yards and two scores

WR Beau Burris 8 receptions for 66 yards.

--------

Marshall leads the all-time series over Pine Tree 28-10-1 since first meeting in 1966.

Pine Tree broke an eight game losing streak to Marshall with last year's win.  It was their first win at Maverick Stadium since 1985.

Marshall is (6-0) at Pirate Stadium since it opened in 2013.  (4-0) Vs. Pine Tree.  They are (2-0) there in playoff games (Nacogdoches 2014; Lindale 2015).

Largest Victory by Marshall was 58-0 in 1973.

Largest Victory by Pine Tree was 33-8 in 1985.

Longest winning streak by Marshall: 8 consecutive was done twice from 2003-2010 and again 2012-1019.  PT's only wins from 2003-2020 were in 2011 and 2020.

Lonest winning streak by Pine Tree: 2 consecutive was done in 1967/68 and 1971/72

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The next game will be the district opener for both the PT Pirates and the Marshall Mavericks.

Pine Tree enters the game with  record of (2-1) with wins over 4A Div II Liberty Eylau (25-0) and 4A Div I Kilgore 42-27.  They lost to 4A Div I Lindale 31-29. 

Marshall enters the game with a record of (1-2) with a pair of losses to 5A Div I programs.  They fell to New Caney (3-0) 23-7 in the season opener and 14-0 to Longview in week 2.  They finally got into the win column with a 41-29 victory over 5A Div I McKinney North.

--------

Pine Tree Offense:

QB DaKylan Jonson has piled up 496 yards passing going 22-45 for 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

--------

Marshall Offense:

QB Michael Olvera has gone 22-37 for 315 yards passing with a touchdown and 1 interception in his 6 quarters of play.

--------

Marshall leads the all-time series over Pine Tree 28-10-1 since first meeting in 1966.

Pine Tree broke an eight game losing streak to Marshall with last year's win.  It was their first win at Maverick Stadium since 1985.

Marshall is (6-0) at Pirate Stadium since it opened in 2013.  (4-0) Vs. Pine Tree.  They are (2-0) there in playoff games (Nacogdoches 2014; Lindale 2015).

Longest winning streak by Marshall: 8 consecutive was done twice from 2003-2010 and again 2012-1019.  PT's only wins from 2003-2020 were in 2011 and 2020.

Lonest winning streak by Pine Tree: 2 consecutive was done in 1967/68 and 1971/72

I was going to say Marshall but after seeing pine tree beat Kilgore idk 🤷‍♂️ this game could go down to whoever has the ball last. 

43 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

PT seems more impressive but both should be entertaining matchup. I will take the Tree by a touchdown.

Pine Tree is good.  I have no doubt.  They are proving to be just fine without DJ.  

I’m just not sure about their schedule.  

4A Div II Liberty Eylau (1-1), 4A Div II Lindale (1-2) and 4A Div I Kilgore (2-1).  

5A Div I: New Caney (3-0) Longview (2-1), McKinney North (1-2)

Wonder if our records would be the same if we switched schedules. 

I know this…..Marshall is a completely different team since the second half of the Longview game.

Before then… I don’t think we win a game all year.  Since then…. I like our chances more often than not.

I still think Texas High is head and shoulders better than everyone.  Pine Tree #2. 

I’m still cautiously optimistic about Marshall.  

Everyone else is a big question mark to me.  Should be a fun race.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:18 AM, Mavchamp said:

--------

Pine Tree Offense:

--------

Marshall Offense:

--------

Wish Fuller would of never left Tatum. 

I think we’re better defensively than we were last year.  Much better. 

Offensively we’re better because we have a QB that can toss it….but he’s also mobile. We didn’t have that mobility last season.   We also have 2 guys to hand the ball off to tote the rock. That’s something we didn’t have last season. 

The PT defense was too good to be as predictable as we were.  Not as predictable this season with multiple weapons.  

People forget this was a 10-7 game at halftime last year.  We started getting desperate and made some really bad offensive decisions to open it up for PT  

Then DJ Freeman just took over in the second half.  Credit to him.  He was special. 

Still early, but home playoff game on the line here? This is what we thought last year coming into this game as well, but Marshall snowballed. 

I think we would have possibly beaten New Caney had we began the year with the Sr Qb. Was no offense at all other than one big play from a wr. The Soph Qb can be special, so I understand the coaches wanting to get him prepped for the future, but Olvera was obviously the present Qb with his experience and mobility.

Mavs should have some key defensive guys returning for this game that were out last week. If they show up to play I think we see a 34-21 type of outcome. Depending on turnovers as Matt mentioned.

THigh is the team to beat, but I dont think they are as unbeatable as last year. I could see these 2 teams pushing them to the brink. 

As always Marshall looks the part for sure..Marshall defense is a solid imo. Offense is talented...if the playmakers can get the ball they will be fine. I think they win this week and have a game for dc in Texarkana.Although Grim is a tough place to play Marshall has played some good games there. I think it’ll be a good game. thigh is the team to beat , but I agree at this point in the season offense is not near what it was last year. I still have to believe the team looks a little different when they gain the 2 players that are eligible in October. Both holding some d1 offers and one plays wr which they do need to help stretch the field, other plays about anywhere in secondary. 

On 9/12/2021 at 5:17 PM, LoboFan07 said:

Mavs pull away in second half much like they did this past week.

I agree.  I really think Marshall's defense is pretty good.  The bigger key for me is that they played North last week.  So they got a taste of a high flying spread offense very similar to what they will see this week.  If Marshall's QB continues to develop I think they win a close one.  

Mavs 31

Stumps 24

Rumor out of Pine Tree, unconfirmed of course, but I heard from a source in PT. They had a QB battle going between 2 Sophomores. The one who has been starting and the back up who only played a handful of snaps each game. Many believe the backup was better than the starter, the back up withdrew from PT and is going to enroll at Kilgore. 

6 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Rumor out of Pine Tree, unconfirmed of course, but I heard from a source in PT. They had a QB battle going between 2 Sophomores. The one who has been starting and the back up who only played a handful of snaps each game. Many believe the backup was better than the starter, the back up withdrew from PT and is going to enroll at Kilgore. 

Johnson has 496 yards passing in just three games.  Sounds like he won the spot fair and square.

If true……the other guy thinks he has a better chance at Kilgore???   Sounds like they are set. 

Interesting fact:

Marshall is 6-0 at Pirate Stadium since it opened in 2013.

4-0 there Vs. Pine Tree (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)
2-0 there in the playoffs Vs. Nacogdoches (2014) and Lindale (2015)

Looking to do it again this week!