***Week 4: Winona Wildcats (1-2) @ Alto Yellowjackets (0-1) - 9/17/2021***

StingEmALTO

Who wins?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Winona
    • Alto

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2021 at 12:30 AM

28 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

How has the field been holding up in the rain, when my boys was there back in '06-'07, it didn't hold up to well?

It’s holding up good. We actually practiced during 2 a days on it in the evening practices under the lights. I was worried because we got some pretty heavy rain and didn’t know if it would be messed up but it was all good.  A couple years ago we added more dirt to the middle of it so it absorbs and drains pretty well.

Still, turf would be nice at some point!

11 minutes ago, JETT said:

7th grade ended in 8-8 tie

8th grade winona won 22-20

Jv winona won 14-0

our jv moved to 4-0 that group is good and we're down there biggest play maker tonight...  good luck rest of the way alto

Pretty good games

Hey Jett! They were good games. Props to Winona! They have some good teams. I was impressed by our middle school kids. Good numbers, size up front, and speedy backs. I was encouraged. JV battled. We probably owned the time of possession, but a turnover and not being able to sustain some drives killed us. That was actually our JV’s first game to play so I thought they fought hard and I saw some positives. We’ll get after it next week vs. San Augustine and hopefully more improvement. 

All the best to Winona going forward!

Well Friday is here again. Have been in a bit of a funk and haven’t had it in me to post much after the cancellations the last two weeks. Just something about it being a Friday night in Alto with nowhere to be lol..It puts you in a weird place. With that said, I’ve braced myself long enough for another let down and I think we’re safe now. So here’s my take. It’s gonna be a challenge tonight to play a clean game just because of the extended down time. Im expecting some uncharacteristic things to happen tonight just because of that. BUT, I am certain it won’t take our boys long to get back in the groove. I know they’re chomping to get after it, especially after having to taste the loss to Troup for two weeks. Great thing about tonight is that it’s the HOME OPENER and HOMECOMING and the atmosphere will be lit for their return. They’ll certainly be out to prove themselves in front of those that came before them and those waiting in the wings. 

• Like 3

If we keep alto under 40 points and we manage to get so much of a safety or a blocked PAT and return it to put something on the board I'd say we improved over the past 2 weeks... all BS aside I respect Altos program and know they're ready to get after us, I hope our boys want it as much and go give em hell.... hope both teams stay injury free

Jett out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Well Friday is here again. Have been in a bit of a funk and haven’t had it in me to post much after the cancellations the last two weeks. Just something about it being a Friday night in Alto with nowhere to be lol..It puts you in a weird place. With that said, I’ve braced myself long enough for another let down and I think we’re safe now. So here’s my take. It’s gonna be a challenge tonight to play a clean game just because of the extended down time. Im expecting some uncharacteristic things to happen tonight just because of that. BUT, I am certain it won’t take our boys long to get back in the groove. I know they’re chomping to get after it, especially after having to taste the loss to Troup for two weeks. Great thing about tonight is that it’s the HOME OPENER and HOMECOMING and the atmosphere will be lit for their return. They’ll certainly be out to prove themselves in front of those that came before them and those waiting in the wings. 

I really like the way you put that. So so true. And that’s what it’s all about. Former Jackets seeing what the current crew can bring and future Jackets dreaming of the day they get to play out there for the black and gold. Friday night lights at its best….and homecoming no less!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I really like the way you put that. So so true. And that’s what it’s all about. Former Jackets seeing what the current crew can bring and future Jackets dreaming of the day they get to play out there for the black and gold. Friday night lights at its best….and homecoming no less!

Pulling for yall

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thanks man. I mean, that’s what it’s always been here. It’s a culture state. Something that has to be maintained, protected, and preached to be kept alive. And as you stated in your earlier post, yes, things won’t and don’t always go your way, but you better play hard as he 🏒🏒 for 4 quarters. That’s an expectation of the community both young and old alike. 

1 hour ago, JETT said:

If we keep alto under 40 points and we manage to get so much of a safety or a blocked PAT and return it to put something on the board I'd say we improved over the past 2 weeks... all BS aside I respect Altos program and know they're ready to get after us, I hope our boys want it as much and go give em hell.... hope both teams stay injury free

Jett out 

In all honesty, I think you guys have some great potential in your younger classes. I don’t know anything about your varsity, but I was there last night. You guys have some talent to be cultivated coming up. As far as 40 points, I’d love to see 40. We scored 48 one game last year. The rest of the season we never even knocked on the door of 40 points. As much as you wanna see less than 40, believe me, we wanna see our defense hold y’all to less than 40 every bit as much lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

In all honesty, I think you guys have some great potential in your younger classes. I don’t know anything about your varsity, but I was there last night. You guys have some talent to be cultivated coming up. As far as 40 points, I’d love to see 40. We scored 48 one game last year. The rest of the season we never even knocked on the door of 40 points. As much as you wanna see less than 40, believe me, we wanna see our defense hold y’all to less than 40 every bit as much lol

The past 2 weeks nothing has seem to be clicking, hopefully we pull it together tonight and spoil that homecoming....

I have a meeting in Longview this afternoon and won't be thru til around 6:30 or so, so I figured might as well catch Longview game since I'll be in town... hate it but is what it is

29 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Yeah I agree with the younger classes coming up there's a few years of kids that started playing youth ball for winona when they were in 3rd grade now that's what we're seeing in the 7th-9th graders we have this year, they won rings together and have been playing together since so we have some good kids coming up in the next few years... yesterday our jv was missing our best athlete #5 la bryson Ross, kid is a stud on both sides of the ball

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JETT said:

The past 2 weeks nothing has seem to be clicking, hopefully we pull it together tonight and spoil that homecoming....

I have a meeting in Longview this afternoon and won't be thru til around 6:30 or so, so I figured might as well catch Longview game since I'll be in town... hate it but is what it is

Longview to Alto is easily drivable in an hour. With the homecoming festivities and all you have plenty of time for the 730 kick off. 

1 minute ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Longview to Alto is easily drivable in an hour. With the homecoming festivities and all you have plenty of time for the 730 kick off. 

I'm hoping I get out at 6:30, may be later or sooner.... will be a last minute decision depending on time I finish 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Thanks man. I mean, that’s what it’s always been here. It’s a culture state. Something that has to be maintained, protected, and preached to be kept alive. And as you stated in your earlier post, yes, things won’t and don’t always go your way, but you better play hard as he 🏒🏒 for 4 quarters. That’s an expectation of the community both young and old alike. 

Well said!  I always liked Southlake Carroll's motto "Protect the Tradition."  It's true.  Maintain, PROTECT, preach it........and work like HECK to keep it going.  I'm ready for tonight.

4 hours ago, JETT said:

That should be a great game!  I read where Bryant, AR hasn't lost a game since 2018??  Should be a battle with Longview!