Week 4: Argyle(3-0) @ La Vega(2-1)

regaleagle

This game will be a real test for Argyle against a team with excellent speed at the skill positions.  La Vega has played perhaps a tougher early schedule than Argyle, so it remains to be seen how these two teams will matchup this season.  Argyle's D is definitely better than last season's team in this week, but we really don't know much about La Vega's D this season.  They always have a very stout defense on the lines and some big boys to go with it.  Losing last week to a very impressive Austin LBJ team that perhaps has even more speed than LV is scary.  I saw some highlight plays of LBJ, but really have not been able to see much from LV's side of the fence this season.  Argyle will show up and make some adjustments during the game to try to get a win on the road against another ranked opponent.

I'm almost certain we will NOT hear a peep from any LV poster this week.  Heck, we haven't heard a peep from any LV poster this year even when they won the first 2 games.  They do a good job keeping everything "close to the vest" over there.  They like to let their actions on the field do the talking for them......which is admirable for the players, but the players are not the ones posting to this site.  It's all the armchair high school football junkies like you and me doing the posting each week.

LV is kinda different from your "normal contender".  Their MO usually entails playing and inserting different combinations into the lineup on both sides of the ball until they finally find the best one that seems to click for them.  I would not hesitate to call this game a real test for Argyle......LV can score from anywhere on the field in any game against any opponent.  They are conditioned not to let a loss during predistrict get in the way of the bigger picture of improving each week.  That loss last week to LBJ did not sit well with them......I'm positive of this......because the first two games of the season they pretty much had their way with both opponents.  I'm also certain that the LV Staff is working very diligently with the players this week to come up with the perfect gameplan to win at home against Argyle.  I look for a surprising game full of big plays offensively and most likely Argyle will need to score at least 35 pts to win this week against the Pirates.

All last week did for the LV coaching staff was to expose some areas that LV needs to work on, and now they have the video to show it to their players.  Fulshear Jordan is a new high school just south of Katy in it's first season, and even though they have 55 players and some football players on their roster......they were not capable of stopping LV's speed in their first game of the season.  The score was 51-21 unloading the bench for LV, but most likely a game LV took to fill out their schedule.  The next week might have been the same situation for LV.......a 65-0 shellacking of Bishop Dunne out of Dallas......playing everybody in all kinds of positions and basically a fill-in game.  This might explain the loss to a very good and ranked Austin LBJ team last week......surprise, surprise, surprise!  There will be no more surprises and no more milquetoasts that LV needed to schedule to fill their schedule.  It's all serious business from here on out......and they DO have speed to burn.  You definitely do NOT want to let their RB's split a seam or get the corner on you......or it's Katy Bar to the door.

There was no video of LV on offense in the Recap on MaxPreps of last week's game against LBJ......just LBJ's offensive highlights.  Take it for what it is.  I can tell you for a fact that LV has at least 2 offensive linemen @ 290 and maybe a third around 270.  They have a couple of QB's they use and both are 6-1 to 6-2.  About 5 different RB's they can use at anytime......not counting a couple of very speedy receivers.  One other receiver, #11 Joiner(6-4/192/Sr) has some jets too.  I would call him dangerous for sure.  But scatback #2 WR Mekhi Rice (5-7/140/SR) is the speed-burner of the team. His speed and separation is amazing......he ran a kickoff back about 75 yds and just made it look easy when it really wasn't.  They have a multitude of guys that can split those seams at the LOS and turn on the burners......just like in previous seasons.  The trick is to not let them into the open field.  Their 2 qb's look like they can throw it too, but I can see that they are set up to run, run, run this season.

Words of Wisdom and Caution>>>> Do NOT allow last week's disappointing performance in the loss to LBJ negatively affect your thinking about the quality of this season's LV team......that would be a BIG mistake, IMHO.  We don't know the particulars without a full video of the game to analyze what happened.......but most likely they got caught with their jock straps down and were not fully prepared......both mentally and physically.

By the way.......La Vega's early schedule before Austin LBJ was anything but tough.  It was what it was......just to find some games to play.  On the other hand, the game last week and this week on LV's schedule is the Real Deal.....and so will be the rest of their schedule.  So look for LV to "wake up" this week and going forward......esp. come playoff time.

Regarding Argyle's side of the equation.......I'm of the opinion that last week's performance against a very good Celina defense will actually help further prepare the Eagles for this week against LV.  The offensive side of the ball needs alot more tweaking among the offensive linemen and also the timing on plays with the RB's was not up to par.  The handoffs were late at times and the RB's were not seeing the holes that did open up at the LOS.  All of that and more will be worked on this week, I'm fairly certain. Robinson and Ohlemeier will need to stay mobile back there until the O-line works out some of their blocking assignments as a unit more smoothly.  Then that will help the QB's with more time and the RB's with smoother sailing to open seams to run thru.

The Argyle receivers made some really good catches, and I think there was only one throw that is normally snared that wasn't.  So the passing game looks very promising to me as long as the line can give the QB's some leeway.  Both QB's are fairly accurate with good arm strength and throwing motion.

1. La Vega is a better team than they showed last week......even against a real contender.

2. LV inflicted self-humilation against themselves last week.......that will NOT happen again this week.

3. LV is playing at home this week in front of their own fans against Argyle.......they will be well-prepared and ready.

4. Overall team speed on offense is their stock and trade, and they use that big offensive line to open up the seams.  Their backs run the angles with great skill.

5. They will have an entire week to live with their underperformance.  I just don't think their players want to go thru a week like this week will be......again anytime soon.

6.  They are more familiar with what Argyle does than anyone else they have faced so far this season.......they will have some confidence in that.

7.  LV would just LOVE to upset Argyle in their own stadium in front of their loyal fanbase.  It's a big, big game for both teams.

8. Downfield blocking is probably the best Argyle will see this season.......LV puts great emphasis on holding blocks and blocking downfield with all of their players.  That's how they create the space they need for their speedy backs. IF you run the ball as often as LV does, then there are no limits for the linemen or any of the offense to block.  They get very adept doing this.......they do it very well over and over and over.

I know historically this is usually a competitive game and it may well be this time, but until I see it I won’t believe anyone is challenging Argyle this year in their division.  It would not surprise me if they make it look like a cakewalk all the way to another championship this year. 

I seriously doubt that I'm the only believer in LV as a very good football team.......I'm certain Coach Rodgers and his Staff are also quite aware that LV has the players and the talent to win this week's game.  They also have the fire and desire to do it......for all kinds of reasons stated above and not stated above.  Don't forget that LV also has an excellent coaching staff.......this fact cannot be overlooked.  And they have that big play ability to score on one play at anytime.  Then there's their Defense........they are fleet of foot in the secondary and big on the lines with some very good linebackers.  They can run down our RB's if they break into the open field........that's defense, folks.  It will not be as simple as you might think scoring on LV.......just sayin'.

9 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

I guess we will see Friday. Now, I don’t think it really matters what my opinion on this game or any other game is, the fact that no matter what I say, Ole Regal is always against it. So I’m going to stick to my opinion that this game will not be close. Argyle by 21+

I'm not against your opinion........if Argyle wins by 21+ then I'm a happy camper.  ln fact, I hope your opinion is correct.  I just don't want all the viewers here to think that LV lost to a good LBJ team and that's that.  That is not exactly that......for lots of reasons.  And IF any of our Argyle Eagles read this thread, I want them to fully understand the whole situation.......and not just rely on what IMO was an untypically poor showing by LV last week against what IS a very good ball club.  

I’ve been saying it, Argyle is basically an elite 5a team right now playing in 4a. Until they are realigned next year I don’t think anybody will give them much of a challenge. This will be a telling game this week. If any team is going to challenge them in 4a DI, I think it’s LV. But Argyle may have very well played their toughest game of the year already against Celina. I think this is one of those years where DII has more elite teams than DI. Just don’t see anybody challenging Argyle in 4a DI this year. Argyle by 21 something like 48-27.

27 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I’ve been saying it, Argyle is basically an elite 5a team right now playing in 4a. Until they are realigned next year I don’t think anybody will give them much of a challenge. This will be a telling game this week. If any team is going to challenge them in 4a DI, I think it’s LV. But Argyle may have very well played their toughest game of the year already against Celina. I think this is one of those years where DII has more elite teams than DI. Just don’t see anybody challenging Argyle in 4a DI this year. Argyle by 21 something like 48-27.

If La Vega can challenge them, I think Austin LBJ can also ……. 28 - 7 last week.